172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 20.
#601 7 years ago

I actually like this one

Would be cool to load your own
Stuff to the phone on the playfield
And create your own mode

#602 7 years ago

Anyone know how many balls this pin flings out during multi?

Just curious.

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

Anyone know how many balls this pin flings out during multi?
Just curious.

For regular multiball, it's up to you. Lock 1-3 balls to start a 2-4 ball mb.

#604 7 years ago

From what i can see in the video the gameplay is awesome.
I like the shots and steady flow.
A very solid game pack full of events, mechs and toys.
Its mutch better than we think,only we have to get used to that weird name.

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

JJP stated that you absolutely don't have to use your phone...this is a completely optional feature/gimmick.
Not sure why people are so turned off by a feature like this which can be completely ignored.

It's because they want to have something to bitch about.

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

Control the flippers from your cell phone? Uh, no. You can't nudge, and I already spend too much time on my phone.
This is a case of fixing something that is not broken.
Technology is an evil seductress. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

My 4 year old girl loves to play pinball but is difficult for her to use both flipper buttons. We usually play together one flipper each. However with dialed in she could be sitting in a high chair in front of the pin flipping alone with the phone.....no doubt she will love it!
There are other examples in which ppl could find the app useful for one reason or another.....remember the thead of the dude that have built a device for a single arm guy to be able to play alone? Anyway any new ideas in pinball are Super welcome!

#607 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Totally agree. I do get trying to promote the cell integration but do that with some cheap cardboard wings or toppers that locations can optionally attach
To me calling this game Dialed in is akin to calling the batman prequel series "Utility Belt!" instead of Gotham. Or maybe calling Superman "Quick Change!"... Or spiderman "Webs!"... why? because these names while they may describe an aspect of the character do nothing to convey the actual theme, build any attachment to a character, or add intrigue... plus its ambiguous.
Anyway, I suspect the smart phone tie in's are going to be a huge hit, the camera, facial and motion sensing... wow.. way to advance pinball while retaining the core of the game. While they probably were not on the list for those of us who already love pinball... it may be just whats needed to draw in new players.

Best post I have read summing up a view of the "Dialed IN" Name -vs- theme impression. Great analogies!!!

#608 7 years ago

It could add other play mechanics too, like a tag team mode where a friend is next to you flipping with the phone while you do the nudging, or maybe a mode where you control the upper flipper or the electro dude mech with the flipper buttons while someone else handles the main flippers from the phone.

I also liked the idea I heard on the The Pinball Podcast where it was a "combat mode" where while someone was playing you could pair up your phone and activate the magnets or move the guy around to mess up their game.

#609 7 years ago

I figured getting you used to attaching your phone to the game is just a step to getting you to pay on your phone like the TouchTunes jukeboxes in bars. When you can hit a button on your phone to add credits it does not feel like spending money.

#610 7 years ago

I enjoyed playing the game at EXPO. Its a smooth layout and well thought out. The idea of disasters hitting the city and the player trying to avert them or deal with them is clever. I watched the players in selfie mode and thought it was quite funny. I think young people will enjoy this feature.

The only thing that didn't make sense is the bluetooth connection to your phone. I'd never use that, and I wonder who would? I'm sure there was considerable resources to make this happen in connectivity and programming.

All in all a clever fun game and it's great to see Pat back!

#611 7 years ago

I was really down on this when watching the live stream - but I think the issue was really more about what content they chose to focus on. All the subsequent videos and photos and reports make me REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS DANG GAME!!

Pat hasn't let me down yet (ok... CSI...) but after letting this simmer and getting the "SimCity" aspect of the game (which was not clear from the presentation at *all*), I'm interested. Hell no I will not be buying NIB, but I can wait. Still have my eyes on a WOZ...

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The idea of disasters hitting the city and the player trying to avert them or deal with them is clever.

What you just wrote there sounds like a fun game.

Maybe they can tweak the package.

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The only thing that didn't make sense is the bluetooth connection to your phone. I'd never use that, and I wonder who would? I'm sure there was considerable resources to make this happen in connectivity and programming.
All in all a clever fun game and it's great to see Pat back!

If you play with your phone you basically lose the ability to nudge which is a major component to playing pinball. That's why I can't see it being anything more than a gimmick. Now what would be cool is if you had the ability to pulse some of the magnets of the game using your phone during multi-player games to mess with your opponents ball when you aren't playing.

#614 7 years ago

You can mess with opponents.

I know you can change the weather, while your opponent is playing, and I heard another
"method" was already in the game as well.

Just the weather alone was fun, as eventually your opponent would "know" what he is doing, and its a
"WTF?" moment.

Gimmicky, yes...but damn fun.

#615 7 years ago

What about using the Bluetooth for PayRange? Would it be possible to not install the PayRange hardware on this game since Bluetooth is built in?

#616 7 years ago

It would be fun if, as an option, you could earn bonuses on your turn to use against opponents on their turn through your phone. Imagine being able to half the power of one flipper or turn off multipliers for 5 seconds during a mode or multiball, or a short blackout period where all the GI goes off. You could turn it off for real competitive play, but it would be real fun in a party type environment.

#617 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

JJP stated that you absolutely don't have to use your phone...this is a completely optional feature/gimmick.
Not sure why people are so turned off by a feature like this which can be completely ignored.

I think some of this resentment stems from the fact that people view it as a gimmick that they wont use, and it adds to the BOM so the price is higher because it was included.

I think it could be a cool feature, cannot wait to get a chance to play this game with or without the phone connectivity

#618 7 years ago

I don't care for the cell phone features but pretty sure my kids would love it. Having a video game interface is kind of brilliant when you think about it. Kids and non pinheads may be more comfortable with using video game like controls. Pinheads can ignore it and just play the game like they want. Added features like ccontrolling game environment, selfies, and what not help involve people who are not playing or waiting for their turn. This stuff will probably not work well on location with strangers but sounds brilliant at home with friends/family. My daughter pretty much hates pinball but I bet she would love messing with my game while I was playing.

Love to see more of this sort of thing in the future. It would be really cool to have a multi player game mode in the future. One flips and the other controls other things in the game with different scores.

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

cannot wait to get a chance to play this game

it is awesome!!!

I am trying to figure out how I can go play the game again, sooner!

#620 7 years ago

Don't expect the main feature of the phone to be flipper control. It's just something they did for the show. Changing the weather will effect the modes you're in. There's the Big Bang button that mimics a difficult switch to hit on the playfield. Shoot the shot, or hit the button on your phone? There were discussions of a whole lot of things that could be done (like using the phone to activate the magnets during another players turn in certain circumstances). I don't think anybody knows what the main feature of using the phone will be.

What we know, is that it works very well, and they're innovating.

#621 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you play with your phone you basically lose the ability to nudge which is a major component to playing pinball. That's why I can't see it being anything more than a gimmick.

They could compensate for this by giving you a higher score if you use the phone, or perhaps some other incentive. Kind of like DM where you earn a higher bonus if you play with the handles instead of the normal flipper buttons.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

They could compensate for this by giving you a higher score if you use the phone, or perhaps some other incentive. Kind of like DM where you earn a higher bonus if you play with the handles instead of the normal flipper buttons.

That would be a fun way to play for CO-OP/Tandem play! One person controls the flippers and the other one does all the nudging. I'd imagine you'd lose a lot of control though doing it through a touch screen. Probably not easy to do things like flipper passes, tap passes, etc. I think it would have to be 2-3X scoring for it to be worthwhile. At least with Demo man you still get great response with the triggers and can still nudge well.

#623 7 years ago

I always thought theme didn't matter much if gameplay is awesome - but to own it and put it in my basement, I guess it does.
Everything I read makes me think this is a great game, then I envision it sitting in my basement. Just can't see looking at the pin collection and liking having that title/art package in my lineup.

Pinball to me is not just a game, the machines are decoration in my basement. I like them to look cool. I want friends to come over and say "what's this one?"

IDK, just really still disappointed in the naming and theme. I feel like I waited so long for this machine - and they got just about everything right but still missed hitting the ball out of the park. Just can't believe then went to production with this title/theme. Doesn't anybody do a focus group anymore. JJP was so intent on developing this game in secret, why not throw some ideas out there to the community and ask for opinion. I know you have to wade through all the BS on pinside, but there are still some really good honest constructive criticism that would of ended in a more appealing overall package.

Maybe if I get the chance to play it, my mind will change. But - I know if I never have that chance, I will have 0 desire to buy it - whereas I am extremely compelled to buy BM66 - based on art, theme, etc...

#624 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I always thought theme didn't matter much if gameplay is awesome - but to own it and put it in my basement, I guess it does.
Everything I read makes me think this is a great game, then I envision it sitting in my basement. Just can't see looking at the pin collection and liking having that title/art package in my lineup.
Pinball to me is not just a game, the machines are decoration in my basement. I like them to look cool. I want friends to come over and say "what's this one?"
IDK, just really still disappointed in the naming and theme. I feel like I waited so long for this machine - and they got just about everything right but still missed hitting the ball out of the park. Just can't believe then went to production with this title/theme. Doesn't anybody do a focus group anymore. JJP was so intent on developing this game in secret, why not throw some ideas out there to the community and ask for opinion. I know you have to wade through all the BS on pinside, but there are still some really good honest constructive criticism that would of ended in a more appealing overall package.
Maybe if I get the chance to play it, my mind will change. But - I know if I never have that chance, I will have 0 desire to buy it - whereas I am extremely compelled to buy BM66 - based on art, theme, etc...

Honest and Logical!

#625 7 years ago

IDK, just really still disappointed in the naming and theme.

The problem is perception. The theme is not "Cell Phone", but the name certainly suggests that's the case which is turning a lot of people off. Changing the name to Quantum City would solve this misconception and allow the cell phone to just be a part of the game and not the theme.

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks for the review. I just watched a gameplay video, it looks great:
» YouTube video

looks pretty cool...

#627 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

The problem is perception. The theme is not "Cell Phone", but the name certainly suggests that's the case which is turning a lot of people off. Changing the name to Quantum City would solve this misconception and allow the cell phone to just be a part of the game and not the theme.

I agree, honestly I am amazed at how much just the name is turning me off.

#628 7 years ago

Someone over the weekend posted looking for someone to send them a dialed in comic book. I brought one home with me. I will mail out for no cost. just send me your info. If this was you send me a link to that posting.. or send me a pm saying you got one and I will offer it up to others.. But first dibs is who ever asked on the thread and sends me the link proving it.

JJ

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Someone over the weekend posted looking for someone to send them a dialed in comic book. I brought one home with me. I will mail out for no cost. just send me your info. If this was you send me a link to that posting.. or send me a pm saying you got one and I will offer it up to others.. But first dibs is who ever asked on the thread and sends me the link proving it.

I'm keeping mine so I can sell it at Expo 2020 for $500 ....

#630 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You can mess with opponents.
I know you can change the weather, while your opponent is playing, and I heard another
"method" was already in the game as well.
Just the weather alone was fun, as eventually your opponent would "know" what he is doing, and its a
"WTF?" moment.
Gimmicky, yes...but damn fun.

How would that work on location?

I envision someone getting a little upset when some people they don't know are messing with their game they paid to play.

Or for tournaments? If you don't have a phone, you can't score as many points or affect your opponent.

I'll have to check it out when it's released.

#631 7 years ago

Yes, unfortunately at the current prices (and my space constraints), a new game really does need to have a good theme, look, and play for me to consider owning. I was at the Dialed In reveal and was not particularly impressed by the presentation, comic, and certainly not the name or price. I didn't even stick around to play it and headed straight over to the Alien reveal.

That said, once I put a few games on it the next day, I thought it was an incredibly fun game. It is a bit whimsical but I actually liked the Sim City-esque animations, the playfield phone was pretty cool, and even the selfie cam thing was quite amusing (though more so when you're watching others play). Generally I guess I'm also more ok with the art than most people seem to be, though I don't really love it. I certainly don't know much about location pinball but it seems like it's designed to get about as much attention as possible for a non-licensed pin, so I could see it being appealing to "non-pinball people" (though I spoke with several ops who felt otherwise). Of course, all that is without taking the price into account. I sincerely hope the rumor that there will be a cheaper model is true.

Will I ever own one? No, highly unlikely, unless i could pick up a used one at a significant discount. But it is a game I would definitely try to seek out to play at shows (decent location pinball near me is more rare than a snowstorm), and I really hope it actually sells well just to increase the chances of more original themes.

#632 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Probably not easy to do things like flipper passes, tap passes, etc.

it was actually very easy to do flipper control stuff. I was amazed how responsive it was.

I dont think the phone flipper trick is just a gimick. If one of us had the game in our homes we would find all sorts of ways to utilize it.

I am hoping we see tons of extra features using the smart phone. Ability to link multiple devices and then compete against each other by causing havoc would be super fun. I can see us inventing all sorts of little games to change things up and have lots of fun with it.

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it was actually very easy to do flipper control stuff. I was amazed how responsive it was.
I dont think the phone flipper trick is just a gimick. If one of us had the game in our homes we would find all sorts of ways to utilize it.

Like cradle up when you need to grab a beer!

#634 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Best use case I've heard yet!

#635 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

They should just implement the same concept as TZ (home use ROM). You can cradle up, press the extra ball button, and it pauses your game and holds the ball for you while you grab a beer! Surprised that more modern games don't have this amazing feature.

#636 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Well, Ted *is* the lead on the game and the TZ 9.5 software has a flipper hold function...

#637 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

You can cradle up, press the extra ball button, and it pauses your game and holds the ball for you while you grab a beer!

I had a TZ for several yeas and I NEVER KNEW THIS FEATURE EXISTED!!!

I feel bad that I didn't get to try it at least once before I sold it.

#638 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I had a TZ for several yeas and I NEVER KNEW THIS FEATURE EXISTED!!!

The feature is only available if you have the home ROM installed (9.4H).

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm keeping mine so I can sell it at Expo 2020 for $500 ....

Little do you know that in 2019, JJP will release a Quantum Black edition of the comic and no one will want to buy your original anymore. (value = -$49.99)

#640 7 years ago

Sorry for the OT... But you mean TZ 9.4H or there something I'm missing?

#641 7 years ago

I'm just thankfull the standard body size and non licenced theme kept the costs down...oh wait...

#642 7 years ago

standard edition pricing is out, $8k. Takes away invisiglass, no lighted left ramp, no etched acrylic in back, no comic book, not numbered, CD instead of printed manual, stainless armor.. but the shaker motor stays

14650354_1313984575286802_5946408696377977752_n[1] (resized).jpg14650354_1313984575286802_5946408696377977752_n[1] (resized).jpg

#643 7 years ago

I told myself $7500 was my +/- point at a possible buy if I liked the game after playing it somewhere first.
$8000 is danged near close though..

I saw today on the Buffalo Pinball Twitch feed where Jack himself said they were going to change the name of the pinball from "Dialed In" to something else based on suggestions. He also went on to say the new name will be announced in the near future.

Very Interesting....

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I told myself $7500 was my +/- point at a possible buy if I liked the game after playing it somewhere first.
$8000 is danged near close though

Yea seriously.. $7500 would be a sweet spot, that's only $1k more than Alien, or $1250 more than spooky's next title. I don't know why $500 makes a difference but it does. Problem is there's nothing else they could take out at this point.. it's already taking away the cool lights on the ramp.

#645 7 years ago

I don't know which thread to ask in, going with this one. Can anyone explain the geometry of Einstein's theatre (is that the right name)?

I watched the first half of the stream, and it was hard to tell is the ball can go anywhere from the theatre, or is it just a prison like bash toy hidden behind the peppers ghost. I thought I saw some shots exit, but afterwards wasn't sure. I also saw a lot dribble back out the front, maybe the shots are just tight.

#646 7 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I don't know which thread to ask in, going with this one. Can anyone explain the geometry of Einstein's theatre (is that the right name)?
I watched the first half of the stream, and it was hard to tell is the ball can go anywhere from the theatre, or is it just a prison like bash toy hidden behind the peppers ghost. I thought I saw some shots exit, but afterwards wasn't sure. I also saw a lot dribble back out the front, maybe the shots are just tight.

Einstein's Theater sits above the playfield and you shoot the ball underneath it. There is a magnet directly below. Sometimes the magnet catches the ball and then drops it back down toward the flippers. When the magnet is not activated, the ball travels straight through and it becomes an inner loop shot which feeds the upper right flipper.

Source: I played several games at Expo.

#647 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

standard edition pricing is out, $8k. Takes away invisiglass, no lighted left ramp, no etched acrylic in back, no comic book, not numbered, CD instead of printed manual, stainless armor.. but the shaker motor stays

Printed decals on Einstein Theatre also I am assuming in lieu of the 3d etched emblem (CE emblem has special colors)

#648 7 years ago

Quantum City isn't a great name either. Quantum tells you nothing about the theme.

Disaster City is also kind of lame.

Needs a clever catchy name that implies disasters and fixing them as well as the setting. It needs the same style of name as "Zootopia"

Disasterburg
Calamity Junction
SimPliCity
Spin City
Disaster Department

#649 7 years ago

8k for a non wide body pinball machine, i guess JJP didn't get it.

that's only $10,662.00 cnd without taxes. now that's a deal, i can already see a lot of OP's rushing to the distributor.

#650 7 years ago

I thought, "Quantum Disaster!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-awesome-yes-i-played-it/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.