172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 20.
#551 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I'm sure you will be able to purchase in an in-home service plan for no more than 1K per year.
No worries.

lol. Maybe we pin guys will start getting those annoying extended warranty sales calls... "We see you have an estimated 1000 plays on your game and we'd like to offer you an extended warranty". CLICK!

#552 7 years ago

"What would you do with The Power."

Oh man. Love it.
Pat Lawlor+"Power"=Greatness

"Feel the Power of the Wind"
The Addams Family "Power"
Battle the "Power" in Twilight Zone

Have I missed any?

Either way, even though I have literally no chance at ever affording this, I'm incredibly excited.

#553 7 years ago

Dialed In Electronices = D. I. E.
Really?? That's the name of the cell company ?

#554 7 years ago

Thanks for posting the comic!! Enjoyed reading it for the brief background. I think the launch would have been slightly less awkward if they had turned it into a quick 3 min or less intro video with the comic acted out and then the pin introduced with features and such before the physical unveil., just a thought after seeing the comic.

#555 7 years ago

After reading the comic and seeing the gameplay, the theme is actually pretty cool -- some sort of "quantum generator" device (that looks like a smart phone) is causing all kinds of weird havoc in a city. I love it.

It's unfortunate that the story got reduced to "it's cell phone themed". That really is a disservice to the game.

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

It's unfortunate that the story got reduced to "it's cell phone themed". That really is a disservice to the game.

Totally agree. I do get trying to promote the cell integration but do that with some cheap cardboard wings or toppers that locations can optionally attach

To me calling this game Dialed in is akin to calling the batman prequel series "Utility Belt!" instead of Gotham. Or maybe calling Superman "Quick Change!"... Or spiderman "Webs!"... why? because these names while they may describe an aspect of the character do nothing to convey the actual theme, build any attachment to a character, or add intrigue... plus its ambiguous.

Anyway, I suspect the smart phone tie in's are going to be a huge hit, the camera, facial and motion sensing... wow.. way to advance pinball while retaining the core of the game. While they probably were not on the list for those of us who already love pinball... it may be just whats needed to draw in new players.

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

do those ebay drones really fly for $2? they do look the exact same as in the game. do they fly around under the glass, controlled by your phone?
I wonder if they're going to remove the drones for the standard version and take $500 off the msrp.

The spare part for the drones is 2$. The drones are priced 16.9$.
If you select the color in the drop down menue, the price will change.

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Well done! That is awesome. I really want to do something like this for my Rift. Was it tough configuring the controls to be recognized in Windows?
With this new price structure, Oculus Rift may be my only hope.

Thanks.

No it wasn't difficult. I used a Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder board I bought on eBay. I Plugged in the joystick, two mercury switches and all the buttons into the board. Then I installed a program called x360ce. It is a free open source software that takes the USB joystick you just made and tricks windows into thinking it is an Xbox controller. You just need to copy x360ce program (very tiny program) into the folder with with the Pinball FX executable launch file. Then you just configure the buttons in the program (x360ce) to correspond to the various buttons on you pinball controller and voila...Oculus doesn't know the difference.

The most expensive part of this project was the pinball legs. The coin door and lockdown bar are fake...just made of MDF. It was a great fun project and definitely worth it for pinball in VR. Now I'm just waiting for Pinball Arcade to be released for Rift. Then I can play all the classics I can't afford to buy.

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

If the name was "Dialed In Enterprises" and the "D.I.E." acronym I'd imagine that would solve the whole naming issue. Simple translite swap.

Genious!!!

#561 7 years ago

These JJPs and Heighways look neat, modern and clean underneath

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Donnie suggested if you tilt, it snaps your picture, and has a wall of shame rotate on display

This!!!!

#563 7 years ago

How heavy is that monster. Jack seems to like beefy assemblies. I could sled my can on those playfield rails. Certainly not "pegs".

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

How heavy is that monster. Jack seems to like beefy assemblies. I could sled my can on those playfield rails. Certainly not "pegs".

The game weighs less then woz

#565 7 years ago

Strange not to se the same playfield rails as WOS and TH, but i guess they are not needed since it`s not a widebody game?

#566 7 years ago

The whole game is redisgned from hobbit and woz so the computer boards are in the back now and many other changes for easier serviceability; just wish there would be a 7k option

#567 7 years ago

I think the inside joke aimed at pinheads of calling this dialed in is funny. It not only fits the theme, but one hopes the game *is* dialed in most of the time.

While I thought Jack went completely out of his mind in 'selling' the game at the reveal, and making everyone leave the room was silly, I think this game has potential. It might be way too easy for good players, as some friends of mine had insanely long ball times.

Like with most new games, how the final code plays out will have a great deal to do with it, from a players point of view, and if it's rather easy, it might do well on location if people have a chance to play it for a longer time than if they were playing Ghostbusters.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

It might be way too easy for good players, as some friends of mine had insanely long ball times.

I had long ball times and I'm not a good player by any stretch of the imagination. It didn't feel like there was a lot of risk in the shots.

#569 7 years ago

One thing that can be said when it comes to JJP is that there are no "where's the code?!" Threads.
That to me speaks volumes.

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had long ball times and I'm not a good player by any stretch of the imagination. It didn't feel like there was a lot of risk in the shots.

Widen or open the outlanes and I bet that "Dials it in"

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

One thing that can be said when it comes to JJP is that there are no "where's the code?!" Threads.
That to me speaks volumes.

In both presentations, Jack promised "code complete" when the game ships.

#572 7 years ago

I'd like to see a wizard mode where the phone gets low on battery and you need to make the shots to maintain the charge... something like Power Down Mode on Johnny Pneumonic.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I heard that as well, and that is truly excellent for the buyers!
And JJP keeps putting out code updates for WOZ, and soon TH will have a complete code.
That to me is proof of a great pinball company.
And the build quality on TH is impressive.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'd like to see a wizard mode where the phone gets low on battery and you need to make the shots to maintain the charge...

There already is a mode like that. And it sounds great!

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The game weighs less then woz

What? I'm out!

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

That would be impressive. He couldn't come close to saying that about Hobbit, and that pin was in development forever (plus one day).

#577 7 years ago

What if the price was some elaborate marketing ploy. In three weeks, JJP will announce they listened to customers and will offer the pin for $7500. It will make pinside feel like they had a voice and to make the pin seem more like a deal. More people will be open to the idea of buying the pin and sales will go way up.

#578 7 years ago

pat lawlor told me specifically at expo that the software is only 25% complete as of expo.

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What if the price was some elaborate marketing ploy. In three weeks, JJP will announce they listened to customers and will offer the pin for $7500. It will make pinside feel like they had a voice and to make the pin seem more like a deal. More people will be open to the idea of buying the pin and sales will go way up.

1. Retheme/rename to Qauntum city (with updated kick ass art package)
2. Price the game under $8000
3. Sell a shit load of games

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

There already is a mode like that. And it sounds great!

Great. 'Cuz that is the best part of JM... not that I get there that often.

#581 7 years ago

Jack told His guys code complete in six months... puts the hot seat on the team to make it happen

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If they reduced the game to $7500 I would pre-order right away. I don't even care if they leave the name the same, because I like what I see for that price.. that is my cut off. If JJP did this, their orders would likely go through the roof.

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

All they need to do is change the name and re-tool slightly.
The name is horrendous.

I think the name is a play on words somewhat. Pinheads always talk about having their machine 'dialed in.'

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

While we don't see eye to eye too often, i agree with this. Many of my loyal JJP customers (and some of the ones i spoke with at expo) have hinted that they would feel a lot more comfortable with a lower price. As for the name, most said that they can get over that, but i imagine they would be okay with a change.

Good deductions. Excited to see what happens, as i would like to have one of these in my house too.

#585 7 years ago

Cellphones ringing, "SELFIES"??? C'mon pinball is cooler than this, who's going to endorse it...the Kardashians?

#586 7 years ago

I'm at a loss as to why everyone thinks "Quantum City" better reflects the theme than "Dialed In"? It's like renaming "Blade Runner" as "Los Angeles." Yes, the setting is Quantum City, and it's a fine name, but "Dialed In" feels like a better reflection of the story after reading the comic.

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

... after reading the comic.

Well there's yer problem.

I don't know, maybe the app yielding phone is a part of their body kids will get it instantly without having to read a comic and it will lure them away from their phones just long enough to discover pinball.

#588 7 years ago

I feel like Jack should have presented this game much better and explained the Dialed In theme and storyline better. Perhaps he could have had an animated trailer showing the comic story and ran that as an intro before revealing the machine. Especially for those of us who weren't at the Expo. A clean trailer or video explaining this original idea would do wonders for the game now and going forward.

I'm sure the theme is great and makes sense as you play the machine, but just like movies need a trailer, this game definitely does too.

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I feel like Jack should have presented this game much better and explained the Dialed In theme and storyline better. Perhaps he could have had an animated trailer showing the comic story and ran that as an intro before revealing the machine. Especially for those of us who weren't at the Expo. A clean trailer or video explaining this original idea would do wonders for the game now and going forward.
I'm sure the theme is great and makes sense as you play the machine, but just like movies need a trailer, this game definitely does too.

Agreed. A stream is great for a reveal but it should be high quality. They should have had a playfield cam and let Pat play and explain. They also should have released the images and details on their site right before the reveal. That way for those of us watching online could have looked at pictures while they explained.

It's a lesson for the future.

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Agreed. A stream is great for a reveal but it should be high quality. They should have had a playfield cam and let Pat play and explain.

Or just have had a fully produced video like Alien had. Intercut the comic panels with the game and explain as you go. Could have had a stellar fully-produced and targeted 3 minutes in hi-def to really sell people on it. And people could play it over and over and share the video at will.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I'm at a loss as to why everyone thinks "Quantum City" better reflects the theme than "Dialed In"? It's like renaming "Blade Runner" as "Los Angeles." Yes, the setting is Quantum City, and it's a fine name, but "Dialed In" feels like a better reflection of the story after reading the comic.

Agreed. I originally questioned the name of the game but now it makes sense the more I read about it, I can see why they chose it. The game looks pretty darn cool.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Agreed 100%. JJP needed to reveal the game better with some more showmanship. A trailer would have been perfect to have explained the game and it's theme, then the trailer could have been uploaded to YouTube to explain it to others.

"From the pinball designer who has brought you greats such as Addams Family and Twilight Zone comes the next generation of pinball, Dialed In" - insert movie guy voice.

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from paintpins:

Cellphones ringing, "SELFIES"??? C'mon pinball is cooler than this, who's going to endorse it...the Kardashians?

No, jack is from jersey so it's actually snooky and jwow endorsing it and they love that feature

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agreed 100%. JJP needed to reveal the game better with some more showmanship. A trailer would have been perfect to have explained the game and it's theme, then the trailer could have been uploaded to YouTube to explain it to others.
"From the pinball designer who has brought you greats such as Addams Family and Twilight Zone comes the next generation of pinball, Dialed In" - insert movie guy voice.

Of anything, this is what I think could have helped most. A proper introduction. Just imagine instead of 40 minutes of pre-amble talk, there was a 5 minute sizzle reel introducing the game and key features.

There was a second JJP seminar the next night, that would have been the forum to address the little stuff. Basically unleash the video, pull the curtain, and then invite everyone to come play it. All the energy in the room would have been harnessed into that moment, and I think the initial response and outcome would have been a lot different.

Just my opinion, of course .

#595 7 years ago

They can still make that sizzle reel, just make it a bit shorter and include it in the attract mode for the game. Even if it was just scenes from the comic flashed in a quick slideshow, it'd be enough to allow people to understand what's going on.

#596 7 years ago

I now realize why I think the art looks retro - kind of reminds me of this. Not saying it is good or bad, just similar.

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg

patandjack (resized).jpgpatandjack (resized).jpg

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

One thing I noticed on the game is that the quadcopters are those small ones you can find on ebay:

ebay.com link » Cheerson Cx 10a Mini Headless 2 4g 4ch 6 Axis Rc Quadcopter Rtf Drone Gift Lot
Good on them to re-use a toy that has motion, not putting stationary hallmark toys on the playfield just to have them

Not real crazy about these, I've bought a few, and their motors aren't really designed to last... These ones also won't get smashed into the walls or ceiling so hopefully they do better than the ones I've owned.

#598 7 years ago

Control the flippers from your cell phone? Uh, no. You can't nudge, and I already spend too much time on my phone.

This is a case of fixing something that is not broken.

Technology is an evil seductress. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

Control the flippers from your cell phone? Uh, no. You can't nudge, and I already spend too much time on my phone.
This is a case of fixing something that is not broken.
Technology is an evil seductress. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

On the flip side, I doubt you have to use your phone, so just because you can, doesnt mean you have to.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

On the flip side, I doubt you have to use your phone, so just because you can, doesnt mean you have to.

JJP stated that you absolutely don't have to use your phone...this is a completely optional feature/gimmick.

Not sure why people are so turned off by a feature like this which can be completely ignored.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-awesome-yes-i-played-it/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.