Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.
#451 3 years ago

I think JJP will tweak it a bit and rethink the price. This could be huge for them if they do it right.

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

As someone who has sat through the past 5 years of missed deadlines, companies going out of business, prices going out of control, and preordering things years in advance, I find it disappointing that people are still lining up for it. I don't get it. Dialed in is 6 to 9 months away at the earliest, what is the point of even preordering it, why not just buy it when it comes out? By signing up for preordering, you're just telling the companies that $9k is great, keep jacking it up. Save your money for when it ships, reward them then if the game is complete and awesome, by preordering you're just giving them all the power (again). sigh...

I agree preordering stinks...I don't like it at all...especially preorder the Collectors Edition at 12.5k before the end of the year without having an opportunity of seeing the game in person before they are even finished...that is a joke to me and a shame. Lets say down the road when i get a chance to play the game I want a CE edition NIB...can't and won't happen. I am not going to pay 12.5k for a game I haven't had a chance to play.

#454 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I agree preordering stinks...I don't like it at all...especially preorder the Collectors Edition at 12.5k before the end of the year without having an opportunity of seeing the game in person before they are even finished...that is a joke to me and a shame. Lets say down the road when i get a chance to play the game I want a CE edition NIB...can't and won't happen. I am not going to pay 12.5k for a game I haven't had a chance to play.

Yes, this is the issue with all the limited editions... buyers have to purchase blind (without being able to play or see in person). It's really a terrible way to do business.

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yes, this is the issue with all the limited editions... buyers have to purchase blind (without being able to play or see in person). It's really a terrible way to do business.

Plus there are potential customers who couldn't go to Expo who may want to at least play the demo unit before buying into a CE even if its not known yet what a CE will add... the game probably wont make it to this coast in time for that. However, I guess if I were that interested and could justify spending an extra 3-4k on basically the same game I would have hopped in my imaginary lier jet and checked it out at expo.

I'm excited to see what price point gets set for a standard myself. Fingers crossed its the same route as the other standards (same playfield, major toys and gameplay) but at a price point I can justify to my wife.

#456 3 years ago

It will definitely be same gameplay... jjp don't do the stripped down game bc in the end thats what really matters gameplay. If u want the extras get the upgraded version if not the game will still play the same with standard version which is how it sld be.

#457 3 years ago

How can a non licenced game be so expensive? I thought the attraction of doing an original theme was to save money.

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

As someone who has sat through the past 5 years of missed deadlines, companies going out of business, prices going out of control, and preordering things years in advance, I find it disappointing that people are still lining up for it. I don't get it. Dialed in is 6 to 9 months away at the earliest, what is the point of even preordering it, why not just buy it when it comes out? By signing up for preordering, you're just telling the companies that $9k is great, keep jacking it up. Save your money for when it ships, reward them then if the game is complete and awesome, by preordering you're just giving them all the power (again). sigh...

The other reason not to preorder a JJP game is that it doesn't guarantee that you will get the pin any sooner than somebody that doesn't preorder. In fact it usually works the opposite in that preorders are moved to the back of the line for distributors behind "new" money. Still preorders out there for Hobbit right now while several dealers have new stock.

#459 3 years ago

Its just 250 deposit and u can get it back anytime u want ...

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

How can a non licenced game be so expensive? I thought the attraction of doing an original theme was to save money.

I think in JJP's case it's to have financial room to pack more toys in the machine and pay a legendary designer to do it.

#461 3 years ago

"Why o why is the game so expensive. They don't have a license to pay for!"

This has been discussed time after time. Buying a license is not that expensive. (Heard $50 per game? Can't remember. On the C2C podcast Roger Sharpe tells the prices.)

When you dont have a license you have to build all the assets from the ground up. There are no shotcuts. If this was a movie license they could have just taken lots of movie clips, add text. Done.

This is not the case with Dialed In.

#462 3 years ago

Ok, I now understand the theme...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (resized).jpg

#463 3 years ago

(HOWEVER) This may be a pin no one will buy since the theme is shit. Set aside the stupid theme, IT is a great concept for the future in terms of gameplay. The concept of using your phone or a remote device to control flippers is a great concept as a 2nd player. For example it should be done in a way where the remote device controls a toy, mini-flipper, trap, coil etc. that player #2 or 3,4 etc can control and sabotage or change the gameplay for the other player while they are playing. Not control just the flippers, for your current game. I predict this will happen.

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its just 250 deposit and u can get it back anytime u want ...

It's still a complete waste unless you just have to have a specific number on your LE.

#465 3 years ago

Ill bite.

The collectors edition should ship first. It should also come with a bag of JJP swag limited to those purchasing it. Something nice and special for those buying.

On the other pricing, The LE should be $8.5k. Pre orders before 2017, should get in at $8000.00. The standard should be $7k.

We know there will be more editions and they should list at $8500, maybe $9000.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

If you consider that everything has to be made from scratch, you will understand that it can be more expensive to do an unlicensed theme. With a licensed machine you get an entire package of assets to work wIth. Unlicensed means that you don't have movie clips, call outs, music, artwork or a goal (wizard of oz, destroy the witch, lord of the rings, destroy the ring, etc). All of these things need to be made. It takes a lot of work to make all new music, animations, art, etc.

I played the game and really enjoyed it. It is refreshing to see something new. Whether you enjoy the theme or not, it's something new and different.

Much respect to everyone involved with this project.

#467 3 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

ยป YouTube video

Pointless. You can't nudge the game if your hands aren't on it.

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

No, costs were never? the problem, as most licenses for pinball can be had for 50k$ or something like that and if you sell 1000 machines or more, this is a no brainer.
The real problem with licenses are the restrictions that come with it. There is only so much you can do and sometimes it's not very much.

#469 3 years ago

Being at the show, the difference in quality
between Vendors was easily seen.

The game isn't about cell phones, it's part of all
The toys when you play.
Hard to explain until you play.
The game is packed. It costs a lot to make small volume toys.
Look at what an after market mods go for.

I'm not defending the high prices, more that
I wish to share the cost of doing business
for those that manufacture.

I agree and do so myself now. GB
was the first full price game le, I bought
without playing.
If I wasn't at a show, no way would I give
any funds, unless it's shipping out
right away.
Kinda over the plaque, number, powder coat reasons...
I want gameplay.

I feel Dialed in achieved this.
Then Aliens.

But if I was home and not at the
Show, is likely agree with all the confusion,
and misinformation about all these
games that were new.
This was talked about extensively among
many.
Basically, " WTF is pinside talking about?"

Hang on, plenty of time to decide, and many more shows over the next year to play and decide.

#470 3 years ago

IMHO, the 'theme' is confusing and hokey.

Redo the graphics, the title, the sound effects (ringing cellphone), the creepy woman statue in the back corner. I guess it all comes down to who this game is aimed at, it would seem at home in a corner of an amusement park for prize tickets - short 5 minute plays. But a home or bar?

#471 3 years ago

$9000 is M S R P...
What will best price negotiated be?

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

$9000 is M S R P...

I believe this is being discussed right now at JJP headquarters...

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

If you consider that everything has to be made from scratch, you will understand that it can be more expensive to do an unlicensed theme. With a licensed machine you get an entire package of assets to work wIth. Unlicensed means that you don't have movie clips, call outs, music, artwork or a goal (wizard of oz, destroy the witch, lord of the rings, destroy the ring, etc). All of these things need to be made. It takes a lot of work to make all new music, animations, art, etc.
I played the game and really enjoyed it. It is refreshing to see something new. Whether you enjoy the theme or not, it's something new and different.

The one thing they should have done is pay for a game by phone swipe.

#474 3 years ago

I really enjoyed this game. I played it four or five times at expo. Lots of gadgets means a lot to maintain. These machines were getting tons of play at expo and by Saturday night, sling rubbers were breaking, rubbers were filthy and a few had mechs that were cutting out. They held up Amazingly well for prototype machines being hammered on continuously for three days.

On one of the machines I played where the phone screen had cut out, it should be noted that the experience of how the game played was the same. It's lots of fun, and doesn't need to be about the phone.

Let's just hope JJPs buys the Sim City 2000 license.

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Not really. It is a risk reward option. If you use the cell control during multi-ball you get higher scoring but of course you give up physical control for those points.

#476 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Not really. It is a risk reward option. If you use the cell control during multi-ball you get higher scoring but of course you give up physical control for those points.

Yep i think it a great gimmick kinda like the handles on demolition man that reward you for using them.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep i think it a great gimmick kinda like the handles on demolition man that reward you for using them.

But I think it should be disabled in tournament mode. You can't required people to have a phone with changed batteries and download an app if your playing in a league. Everyone should have a level playfield (pun intended).

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

For example it should be done in a way where the remote device controls a toy, mini-flipper, trap, coil etc. that player #2 or 3,4 etc can control and sabotage or change the gameplay for the other player while they are playing

Agree, there is much potential. Would be cool if player 1 is enjoying and epic ball... player 2's "killer app" lights up on his phone providing an option to disrupt player one. Like a menu with Lights Out, Lights On, Reverse Flippers, Weak Flippers etc... Player 2 gets to wait for the right moment, select his option and KaPow! The game goes berzerk for a second and implements Player 2's selection. Player 2's selfie front and center on the screen to taunt Player 1.

Fun stuff.

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Agree, there is much potential. Would be cool if player 1 is enjoying and epic ball... player 2's "killer app" lights up on his phone providing an option to disrupt player one. Like a menu with Lights Out, Lights On, Reverse Flippers, Weak Flippers etc... Player 2 gets to wait for the right moment, select his option and KaPow! The game goes berzerk for a second and implements Player 2's selection. Player 2's selfie front and center on the screen to taunt Player 1.
Fun stuff.

I wldnt be surprised if stuff like this is done. U All ready can change the weather and things to alter gameplay . Also when you get hit by comet i believe? .... the flippers flutter for a few seconds.. great stuff and code is only 20 percent . So many great things to come yet.

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Hey Ryan, is this by any chance my old ECLE #324?

Indeed it is! It's been great. Once in a while I need to fix the castle doors, or the drop target. It's been flawless otherwise. So glad I never had to deal with light board issues.

#481 3 years ago

My wife doesn't play pinball but all the stuff I was telling her about the sefies and scratch off ticket and etc.. that I thought was cheesy she said that sounded cool. So maybe non-pinheads will like this more.

PS I'm a person who hates video modes and so things like GB or GOT with video modes take a hit from me personally and maybe that's the case with DI as well. It seems like it's trying to break out of the normal pinball box.

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My wife doesn't play pinball but all the stuff I was telling her about the sefies and scratch off ticket and etc.. that I thought was cheesy she said that sounded cool.

This is exactly what I've been thinking, the stuff that traditional pinball fans find annoying about it are exactly the things non-pinheads will be drawn into... much like how many non-pinheads on location step up to a game like WOZ and Hobbit.

And I think if the cell phone app is used to interfere with each other's games during multi-player games, a lot of pinheads are going to have fun with their friends using those features, even if you wouldn't want them during tournament play. Lots of innovative and fun potential here in what looks like to be a pretty immersive game.

#483 3 years ago

With a licensed theme you have to have a ton of meetings with the licensor and get everything cleared which takes several attempts and money and time. Sometimes, less is more.

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Licensing is generally $100/game, which is insignificant in a $9k title. It's more about the ability to be 100% in control of the game's content (rather than arguing with the licensee as to which clip-art can be put on the game), and the ability to build the games in perpetuity rather than having to renew licensing after a few years.

Every time I find more info on the game, it becomes apparent the content in Dialed In is deeper than most licensed games made today. Because it's an original theme, it is even more important that everyone gets their hands on it before deciding.

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Licensing is generally $100/game, which is insignificant in a $9k title. It's more about the ability to be 100% in control of the game's content (rather than arguing with the licensee as to which clip-art can be put on the game), and the ability to build the games in perpetuity rather than having to renew licensing after a few years.
Every time I find more info on the game, it becomes apparent the content in Dialed In is deeper than most licensed games made today. Because it's an original theme, it is even more important that everyone gets their hands on it before deciding.

Well said.

#486 3 years ago

One approach is to keep your Bill of Material and Engineering expenses as low as possible and charge as much as the market will bear.

They probably have a minimum profit target that they want to make on each pin, but they don't go into a meeting, saying we need to make sure that we don't make more than x dollars profit so we can keep prices down for our customers. Who does that?

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

$9000 is M S R P...

I'm pretty sure JJP has generally been able to hold customer pricing at MSRP from all distributors, which influenced Stern to fix prices at their distributors as well to the chagrin of pinball customers everywhere. That simply means pinball manufacturers are comfortable raising prices until sales start hurting.

#488 3 years ago

Something you guys should realize also is not EVERYBODY looks at cell phones with such emotion and outright hate. Pat probably just looked at 'em like a part of modern life these days.

In fact most younger people simply LOVE their phones (to their detriment I think) and can't be away from them for even a moment.

So for a location game it may do really well. REALLY well. Having the goofy character appear on the phone to give gameplay rules and hints will be great for a casual player.

Finding someone younger with 9k to blow for home use may be a bit trickier though. Just a bit

#489 3 years ago

I think it'll be really fun for casual players in casual environments, especially for the younger teens at places like Dave and Busters and Gameworks. It seems a little chipper for the barcade scene so I'm not sure about your 21-30 crowd (exposure-wise, at least) but we'll see. It's kind of funny what a vitriolic reaction everyone had to the cell phone, but I think if it doesn't have boobs, violence, or nostalgia then it's a gamble with this forum.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I think if it doesn't have boobs, violence, or nostalgia then it's a gamble with this forum.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Classic.

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Proof of concept only.

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

They could add a button to the phone interface called NUDGE that would turn the shaker on. Could even make it so it's a very sharp and violent shake, simulating a real nudge.

The whole phone integration is clearly targeting the under 30 crowd and I'm fine with that. Pinball needs to capture the imaginations of future generations if it's going to survive for decades to come.

#493 3 years ago

Dialed In! was the game of the show, hands down.

Kingpin is right, what you "save" on licensing costs you spend on creating content, graphics, voice actors, etc. In reality the biggest "cost" of a license is dealing with all the approvals and corporate politics - something this game isn't saddled with.

Constructive criticism:

1) The name still sucks. It tells you nothing about the theme, and worse misleads you into thinking it's a game about phones (which it really isn't)
2) Voice acting and dialog is kind of weak. It felt half-hearted, they need to dial up the cheese and overacting. (MM and AFM style)
3) The on-playfield screens seemed under-utilized, could have used more prompts but that's just a code thing.

What I loved:

1) Original theme!
2) Loved loved LOVED the TV news-style presentation of prompts and info.
3) City view that moves around was a great way to fill the screen without any movie clips to use.
4) Drone magnet was awesome
5) Game wasn't brutal (we're not all ace players)
6) Sound effects were really cool and distinct.
7) Amazing use of space and packing so much into a standard body game.

#494 3 years ago

Bingo. Licensed games are often actually cheaper games, because you're not just buying the name, and concept, you're buying a ton of assets (depending on the license) that you can leverage.

You can easily spend more than the cost of the license on creating all the assets from scratch.

If you've played Dialed In, just think of all the work that JP and whoever else had to do to fill that HD screen with all that content out of thin air.

Edit: Damnit Ben, stop posting right before me.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Classic.

Exactly. If the large female toy in the corner had been wearing a bikini and blocked the balls with her boobs, people would call it the best toy ever.

And then their wives would say "you're not buying that".

#496 3 years ago

keep your phone on the game, flip with two fingers of your left hand keeping your palm on the lockdown bar and your right hand in its normal position and nudge away.

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

keep your phone on the game, flip with two fingers of your left hand keeping your palm on the lockdown bar and your right hand in its normal position and nudge away.

Where was that yesterday so I could have tried it?

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

There are multiple ways you can store energy in the system then release it quickly for a nudge effect. You've never seen one in a pinball machine yet, remote control machines are new.

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There are multiple ways you can store energy in the system then release it quickly for a nudge effect. You've never seen one in a pinball machine yet, remote control machines are new.

Maybe that could be an aftermarket mod. I did find myself trying to move the cell phone while playing to no effect

#500 3 years ago

I hope the game has some disaster that causes the flipper power to fluctuate and get weaker or a virus that flips your flippers randomly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 9,000.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside