172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.
#1 7 years ago

Great example of the Pinside echo chamber is on display tonight, so I thought I'd chime in as someone who actually played the game.

I had not been reading any threads leading up to the JJP announcement, but as an operator, I was skeptical of a non-licensed theme. So I went into this with no expectations. I was there in person for the expo reveal tonight.

I think the name, and the theme, sound dumb if you're not standing right at the machine. The execution is awesome. It's basically a Sim City Disaster theme...being broadcast by an action news channel. To observers, the backbox is like watching someone play a video game.

It's a standard width body cabinet. It's fast. Really fast. One of the quickest, least stop & go, titles by Lawlor. Much faster than WOZ or TH. When you watch someone play this game, you want to play it. There were crowds huddling around the games for hours afterwards.

People LOVED the selfie feature. A camera takes pictures of you during certain modes...one of them is a frenzy mode where it takes a picture with every switch hit (and displays them in piles on the LCD screen). I saw people taking pictures of the game taking pictures of the player. People were loving it.

Other tidbits:

In multiball, people are shooting lasers at you (indicated by inserts on the playfield). If one hits your flipper, it shudders a bit and you can't flip for a second or two, and then it comes back. You can prevent this by shooting a ball up at the laser to disable it (and get the super jackpot).

At some points, you are awarded tickets. You earn the reward by literally raising your hand in front of your face and miming that you are scratching the ticket.

This game is not about a phone. It's a sim city destruction theme. The people who watched live gameplay, and played themselves all came away excited about it. I hadn't heard a bad word.

Trust me, it's going to be a big hit.

#2 7 years ago

Thanks for the review. I just watched a gameplay video, it looks great:

#3 7 years ago

Things that make you go hmm...

#4 7 years ago

What did you make of the sound though? That's what concerns me, along with the price.

#5 7 years ago

I played a few games tonight

Flow is great
Had fun playing it
Felt like a Lawlor mashup

Cell phone always ringing was annoying
And the flash sound during the 'selfie' mode was too much too

I feel the price is too high.

#6 7 years ago

Also, judging by your description of what it does, the game is going to make crazy money at busy locations.

#7 7 years ago

this is good to hear. did anyone stream or upload Pat speaking about the game? how much are they asking for this game?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Great example of the Pinside echo chamber...
Trust me, it's going to be a big hit.

Thanks so much for this insight!

I'm really tired of the uber-nerds being upset that it's not some "cool" ( ) theme.

Lawlor games have always used strange themes (except "TAF") and have always been extremely bright, colorful and "friendly". I'm actually not a huge Lawlor fan myself, but this machine is perfectly in line with what he has done in the past decades.

#9 7 years ago

But if it is simcity? How is it a non license?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

its like a sim city situation...

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the write up! I think I'm in the majority, that thinks the game looks very cool, but the name is awful. The name Quantum City or any other name that indicated a Sim City Disaster like theme would have been miles better.

As a home collector I have no desire to have selfies taken and displayed, nor any type of redemption. At the occasional party it would be fun. I also think 9k will be too much to swallow for home collectors.

As for operators, you have a much better handle on this then I do, but it seems like an awfully expensive purchase to put on route. Im not sure it would attract enough of a new young, demographic to make it worth it.

The video of gameplay looks pretty awesome.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

did anyone stream or upload Pat speaking about the game?

https://www.periscope.tv/jackjjp/1ypKdAVngdYGW

#13 7 years ago

Ghostbusters seems like a distant memory

Neither this or Batman do it for theme for me but would love to play it, love most Lawler games.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Not actual Sim City rofl

#16 7 years ago

I'm sure the cell phone always ringing will be a simple feature adjustment and/or default setting might get tweaked prior to shipping.

#17 7 years ago

Thanks for the review Ryan. It looks interesting and I'd really like to play it. I like Lawlor's designs.. actually I LOVE Lawlor's designs and have a few of his W/B classics in my collection. As someone said, this looks like a classic Lawlor "mashup". I'm sure I'd like to have one of these in my line up 10-15 years from now, so some of you guys buy some of these so there'll be some used ones around, LOL.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I'm sure the cell phone always ringing will be a simple feature adjustment and/or default setting might get tweaked prior to shipping.

Yep, its early code, once they add more sounds it will be fine. WOZ and TH were the same.

Would love to hear from more people who actually play the machine today.

#19 7 years ago

Im cracking up reading all the bitching about the name of this pin, Phone ringing sounds ect. This pin is exactly what most home users want a 90's Williams type dmd era pin with today's technology. Pat hit a homerun with this pin. Only problem is, JJP is outpricing 80% of us pin heads. This pin will sell like hotcakes regardless of price because its fun and innovative. People will find a way to purchase this pin. It is the Whirlwind of this generation.

#20 7 years ago

The nice thing about Whirlwind is that you don't need to read a comic book to explain the theme.

#21 7 years ago

Ryan: have you seen how the drones work? Anything you can add about the other toys?

#22 7 years ago

Terrible theme, i don't care how awesome it plays.

Too many other GREAT options to buy.

Reminder, ding, ding, ding

Woz was $6500

TH was $7500

Dialed in is $9000 >>>> Game over

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

The nice thing about Whirlwind is that you don't need to read a comic book to explain the theme.

You nailed it! This theme is way to complex! People, put down the koolaid and wake up.....this was a bad idea. The layout looks great and that is why I recommend retheming it.

#24 7 years ago

Price is way too high at 9k.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Woz was $6500
TH was $7500

You have made your point clear about 100 times in any thread around. Can you go back to batman 66 now? Please

Agree with you. The price is just stupid. Hope they consider the standard version

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from singapore_pin:

You have made your point clear about 100 times in any thread around. Can you go back to batman 66 now? Please
Agree with you. The price is just stupid. Hope they consider the standard version

Here is another point for you. A "standard" version? WTF do you think a 6,999 version is!

You can't make this ridiculous nonsense up

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Woz was $6500
TH was $7500

Stern is charging nearly $9k for a Batman Premium which looks like a joke / rip off compared to Dialed In (not even going to mention Batman 66 LE / SLE prices...). Dialed In is $9k but at least it's loaded, has a ton of tech, has top notch LCD animations, invisiglass, shaker, a real backglass, etc.

#28 7 years ago

Of course the initial reaction to anything new being announced anywhere is always negative. After all, it's much easier and quicker to type out that "something sucks" than it is to actually spend some time to look at it, play it, make yourself familiar with what is actually being shown. Of course the multiple months (years) hype build-up is also a factor in this.

For years, people have been asking for an original theme, and finally here is a manufacturer bold enough to try it in a major release. Okay, the title could have been better, but looking beyond that I think this game looks like a lot of fun. The toys look innovative, the gameplay is fast, the artwork is beatiful (so great not to have stock/recycled art on a game!) and to me the game has that same "something different" appeal that Ghostbusters had. I agree from watching the video that the cell phone sound is a bit annoying but I'm sure a future software update (or even a setting) will solve this.

I really wish I could have made Expo this year but I will sure be able to play one local soon! What I'm seeing so far looks like a fast and fun game with typical Lawlor awesomeness (my brother and I own 8 Lawlor games).

I'm definitely adding this one to my wishlist. Oh wait, gotta add it to the Pinside game archive first.

#29 7 years ago

All they need to do is change the name and re-tool slightly.

The name is horrendous.

#30 7 years ago

Looks fun but yes 9K is steep. May have to wait a year or so for secondary market valuation of $6500-$7000. This is not a title that will hold valuation like WOZ and Hobbit. Jack should have surprised everyone and priced them at $6000 without powder and invisi-glass and other fluff. I applaud JJP for taking a risk and doing something different.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is charging nearly $9k for a Batman Premium which looks like a joke / rip off compared to Dialed In (not even going to mention Batman 66 LE / SLE prices...). Dialed In is $9k but at least it's loaded, has a ton of tech, has top notch LCD animations, invisiglass, shaker, a real backglass, etc.

Panzer toy is back!

The thing is Panzer toy, Stern only has to sell 80 SLE's, CHECK, 240 LE's, CHECK and the Premium is going to be $7500, CHECK

So tell me again, where is the $1500 difference in toys/tech? And why do I want to buy a HORRIBLE theme?

CHECK

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Panzer toy is back!
The thing is Panzer toy, Stern only has to sell 80 SLE's, CHECK, 240 LE's, CHECK and the Premium is going to be $7500, CHECK
So tell me again, where is the $1500 difference in toys/tech? And why do I want to buy a HORRIBLE theme?
CHECK

Both games are insanely priced. Batman Premium66 is just a jazzed up Pro, yet add another few thousand bucks.

The SLE is an old fashioned LE, just a lower run with a jacked up price to make collectors think they are getting something special.

And 6999 LE's is utterly pointless as how on planet earth can it be called LE when it will be real lucky to sell out?

The pinball world has lost it's marbles

#33 7 years ago

They should probably enable vibrate for the phone, and just use the shaker.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Im cracking up reading all the bitching about the name of this pin, Phone ringing sounds ect. This pin is exactly what most home users want a 90's Williams type dmd era pin with today's technology. Pat hit a homerun with this pin. Only problem is, JJP is outpricing 80% of us pin heads. This pin will sell like hotcakes regardless of price because its fun and innovative. People will find a way to purchase this pin. It is the Whirlwind of this generation.

How can it sell like hot cakes if it's priced out 80% of us?

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Looks fun but yes 9K is steep. May have to wait a year or so for secondary market valuation of $6500-$7000. This is not a title that will hold valuation like WOZ and Hobbit. Jack should have surprised everyone and priced them at $6000 without powder and invisi-glass and other fluff. I applaud JJP for taking a risk and doing something different.

"This is not a title that will hold valuation like WOZ and Hobbit." I am certain this is correct. And that's one big reason it won't sell in big numbers in the first place. Game 4 needed soon imo

#36 7 years ago

Horrible theme and price. I am not clear on the pin, but vaguely it has something to do with cell phone and if it sends me a text message or I need to pretend to be scratching off a ticket I'm out times infinity.

JJP best look out below, if this pin sells as bad as I think, it's going to be a blood bath.

#38 7 years ago

People want different and this looks different that's for sure. From what I just saw it doesn't look like a drain monster and has good ball times and I just love having ALL the inserts be color changers cuz the light show looks fantastic. I can see why it would cost so much but I just can't afford the price as with all JJP games. Maybe I'll win the big one some day and be able to buy his games.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Horrible theme and price. I am not clear on the pin, but vaguely it has something to do with cell phone and if it sends me a text message or I need to pretend to be scratching off a ticket I'm out times infinity.
JJP best look out below, if this pin sells as bad as I think, it's going to be a blood bath.

I dunno man. I think the theme is pretty awesome; modern day sim city disaster theme. WW meets ES meets RS.

The things that turn me off on this game so far is the cell phone ringing sound and the price. Phone calls and cells ringing are becoming obsolete, texting and social media is the thing. So maybe Instead of a cell phone ringing over and over, have a quirky text sound a blonde bimbo pop up and say in a valley girl voice, "oh look at me, I got a text. I am so cool" or a cranky grandma just quickly say "what's that noise!?!"

Cell phones ringing = annoying
Comedic clueless characters = fun

#40 7 years ago

As someone in the "echo chamber" last night watching on Periscope and frantically hitting refresh on a sluggish Pinside, the game seemed like it was the disaster.

JJP was doing their boring victory lap and acceptance speech before they even took the cover off. The low res video stream was bobbing and weaving more than Ali and felt like an incredibly low resolution drunk VR simulator. None of the speakers seemed to be exciting the crowd based on the little applause we could hear. Droning on about a boring TV mount in the backbox seemed let the air out of the sails. Then they passed out a comic and pulled the cover off something that sounded dumb. It was too blurry to see the art for what looked like a lame Watchdogs (video game) meets Earthshaker mashup. Then they hit us with the price and it was down for the count. What did they want us to think?

The game might be great, the presentation for the people not in the room was not. They've obviously had finished games for awhile. Where was the polished launch video or an online gallery bigger than three oddly angled pictures.

I can't hate on Pinside for calling it like it was shown to the home viewer last night. That was on JJP.

I'm glad the game seems better than the presentation.

#41 7 years ago

The theme is horrible. The layout looks interesting/fun. The phone & camera would get old Fast @ home, but could be lucrative on route!
The price: $9,000 is Insulting! People were out of their minds when WOZ was priced @ $6500! Things sure have changed in 5 short years.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I dunno man. I think the theme is pretty awesome; modern day sim city disaster theme. WW meets ES meets RS.
The things that turn me off on this game so far is the cell phone ringing sound and the price. Phone calls and cells ringing are becoming obsolete, texting and social media is the thing. So maybe Instead of a cell phone ringing over and over, have a quirky text sound a blonde bimbo pop up and say in a valley girl voice, "oh look at me, I got a text. I am so cool" or a cranky grandma just quickly say "what's that noise!?!"
Cell phones ringing = annoying
Comedic clueless characters = fun

I agree. The theme/ layout looks neat. The naming of the pin/theme, missed the "mark". That phone is going to drive you nuts! Ever played 24?

#43 7 years ago

$9,000 USD = $13,500 Canadian after tax and shipping ... I'm not sure there will be many of these on route north of the border.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

This game is not about a phone. It's a sim city destruction theme.

Thanks for the informed review. I think everyone needs to give this game a chance. I have to give Jack credit for not taking pre-orders on this game.

For me, I think I've gotten over the name already. I don't know if it was intended, but if you think about it the name has nothing to do with cell phones. Most people under 30 have never "dialed" a phone.

I'm too old for "selfie mode", so I'm not sure what to think about that. I assume it doesn't keep those images and doesn't replay them in attract mode otherwise this could get real interesting on location.

Finally, I don't know if it was pointed out elsewhere, but it was amazing how many people in the seminar said it was their first time at Expo. It looked like about half but was probably less. I was surprised by that.

- Kerry

#45 7 years ago

Pat is getting up there in years, the game might be a blast to play (probably is) but the theme is crap. This theme seems like what my grandparents think the "kids" are into.... hey my grandson is always on that phone, lets make a Cell Phone Video Game thingy

#46 7 years ago

Was WOZ really only $6500? Seems like a steal for what you get given today's prices...

#47 7 years ago

That being said I hope they sell all 6999 so they have plenty of money to make Toy Story.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I have to give Jack credit for not taking pre-orders on this game.

He's going to regret it...

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from singapore_pin:

Ryan: have you seen how the drones work? Anything you can add about the other toys?

There's a group of drones to the bottom right of the machine. At certain points their propellers start running, and if your ball goes under them, a magnet launches your ball back onto the playfield. Pretty cool little toy.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Was WOZ really only $6500? Seems like a steal for what you get given today's prices...

If you pre-ordered an waited almost 3 years. For everyone else it was $7500 and up to 9k for the WOZRRLE

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-awesome-yes-i-played-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.