Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 6.50.24 AM (resized).png
overwrite (resized).png
no_fat32 (resized).png
format (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

I am trying to upgrade from 1.13 to 1.5. I follow all their instructions, download the .iso image, UNetbootin, format USB to FAT32 and create a bootable USB using UNetbootin. During the "installing Bootloader" it gives some error about some file that already exists (syslinux/menu.c32). It gives the option "overwrite Yes/No". I picked yes and in a later attempt no. Either way, Dialed-In does not recognize the USB stick when I boot up. It boots up normally and goes into game mode. No update is performed. Any suggestions?
I am on Windows10.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

I am trying to upgrade from 1.13 to 1.5. I follow all their instructions, download the .iso image, UNetbootin, format USB to FAT32 and create a bootable USB using UNetbootin. During the "installing Bootloader" it gives some error about some file that already exists (syslinux/menu.c32). It gives the option "overwrite Yes/No". I picked yes and in a later attempt no. Either way, Dialed-In does not recognize the USB stick when I boot up. It boots up normally and goes into game mode. No update is performed. Any suggestions?
I am on Windows10.

You doing the full download and not the delta?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You doing the full download and not the delta?

There is no delta for 1.5, there is for 1.52. Likely a USB issue. This game is finicky about the drive, I needed to try about 4 different ones.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Any suggestions?

Try a different USB port.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

When I format the USB I selected "restore device defaults". Any particular partition size that it required? The 2 options on format are "exFAT" and NTFS. I hope exFAT and FAT32 are compatible. What brand and size of USB stick completed the update successfully? I have a 64 GB Kingston USB. Thanks for the suggestions.

format (resized).pngformat (resized).png

#6 6 years ago

Allocation size it's the size of the thumb.... Pick the highest number...drfsuot should do it though. There's no fat32 really? Or is it because the size isn't right? 8 have always switched my exfat to fat32 but never tried exfat.

#7 6 years ago

No FAT32. Not sure but this might be a Windows10 thing.
Apparently Windows can't format it into FAT32. Download the free AOMEI partition manager here:
https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html
Now I can at least format it into FAT32 and it is recognized as such by Windows. I still get the overwrite file question. I pick Yes.
...and. The game still doesn't perform an update. It boots into normal game mode.
Hey, JJP, your update procedure still has room for improvement.

no_fat32 (resized).pngno_fat32 (resized).png

overwrite (resized).pngoverwrite (resized).png

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

No FAT32. Not sure but this might be a Windows10 thing.
Apparently Windows can't format it into FAT32. Download the free AOMEI partition manager here:
https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html
Now I can at least format it into FAT32 and it is recognized as such by Windows. I still get the overwrite file question. I pick Yes.
...and. The game still doesn't perform an update. It boots into normal game mode.
Hey, JJP, your update procedure still has room for improvement.

ExFAT will not work...if you are noticing that there is not FAT32 on the drive as soon as you look at the properties of the thumb drive on the computer, then the USB drive itself is unfortunately incorrect. I noticed this on companies such as SanDisk.
The company that you need to get that is reliable that has built-in FAT32 is a company called PNY. That is available at your local tech store, like Best Buy, and is sitting right next to all the other flash drives.
When you're looking at USB thumb drives at the tech store, I noticed, as well as the staff, that most if not all of these drives do not show on their packaging what their formatting is set at. If you get a PNY disk with the right amount of gigabyte, always get more than you think you need, you'll be fine... it will already be set up to FAT32, there should be nothing else that you would need to do except download the update correctly to the drive. Hope that helps!!

#9 6 years ago

On a Mac, SanDisk worked great for me...not "finicky" at all.

The problem is most likely how you are formatting the drive. Needs to be FAT32 like mine below.

Will be nice when JJP adds WIFI support to simplify this arcane process...

snaroff

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 6.50.24 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-10 at 6.50.24 AM (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

I will order a PNY USB then. Thanks for that suggestion. I wish JJP would point out those details in their instructions.

#11 6 years ago

I got a PNY USB 3.0 with 16GB from Ebay. Then everything worked as advertised.

#12 6 years ago

Just did mine today as well. Finally up to date for my lazy ass

2 months later
#13 6 years ago

I am having the same problem as the OP. Here is what I have tried thus far. Also, the code has been downloaded multiple times (just in case it was a bad download).

Computer #1 (Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 8GB, USB 2.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #1 (Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 32GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #1 (Windows 10), unetbootin, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)

Computer #2 (Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 8GB, USB 2.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #2(Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 32GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #2 (Windows 10), unetbootin, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)

Computer #3 (Linux Mint), unetbootin, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #3 (Linux Mint), ISO Writer, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)

Note: There is a Rocketek Bluetooth USB Dongle on the USB extension cable that is located inside the coindoor. I remove the Bluetooth dongle prior to inserting the USB stick with DI code (version 1.50).

ANy guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I am having the same problem as the OP. Here is what I have tried thus far. Also, the code has been downloaded multiple times (just in case it was a bad download).
Computer #1 (Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 8GB, USB 2.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #1 (Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 32GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #1 (Windows 10), unetbootin, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #2 (Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 8GB, USB 2.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #2(Windows 10), unetbootin, Sandisk 32GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #2 (Windows 10), unetbootin, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #3 (Linux Mint), unetbootin, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Computer #3 (Linux Mint), ISO Writer, PNY 16GB, USB 3.0: FAIL (DICE boots straight into game)
Note: There is a Rocketek Bluetooth USB Dongle on the USB extension cable that is located inside the coindoor. I remove the Bluetooth dongle prior to inserting the USB stick with DI code (version 1.50).
ANy guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Have you ever done an update on this machine before? What code are you on now?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Have you ever done an update on this machine before? What code are you on now?

Just unboxed the machine. It came with code version 1.13.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Just unboxed the machine. It came with code version 1.13.

Did you check the USB connection to the computer in the backbox? It sounds like maybe your USB cable extension (the one that runs to the front) isn't plugged in, or it's loose. I'd check that at the computer in the backbox first thing. There are MULTIPLE USB plugs at the computer (2 or 3 I can't remember). Check them all.

#17 6 years ago

Vireland - Good call. I completely overlooked the possibility that the USB cable could be bad or unplugged. The cable was slightly unplugged from the computer (probably occurred during shipping). Everything working as it should. Code update: SUCCESS

Thank you!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Vireland - Good call. I completely overlooked the possibility that the USB cable could be bad or unplugged. The cable was slightly unplugged from the computer (probably occurred during shipping). Everything working as it should. Code update: SUCCESS
Thank you!

You had too many failures, so sometimes it's easier to go back to the basics. Glad it's working now!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-code-upgrade-fails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.