(Topic ID: 171544)

Dialed in., batman, alien, or something else for a location?

By hocuslocus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hocuslocus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have a few pins at one location. The machines I have do pretty well, it varies from week to week. I saw the new jjp game seemed interesting, I've never minded the theme.

I'm a little hesitant about getting another JJP game, since I got a WOZ and the amount of issues compared to my other two NIB machines is ten times worse. I wanted to wait till they got the kinks worked out. my main issue was mainly the light boards, I've had to replace 28 of them already along with a laundry list of other stuff. The build of the machine compared to the other is much much better though. Also I've always read that operators say their WOZ does really good compared to their other machines. I have found this isn't the case for me anyway. I assume this is because the game isn't for casual players, It seems like a lot of my players are just that. This is why I was hesitant about the new JJP. I have a few players that love this game though. They are really good players though.

The alien I thought was kinda cool, I liked the idea of being able to buy one cabinet and being able to swap the playfield. especially if I had three or more locations with three or more heiway games, I could just grab the playfield to rotate the games instead of lugging the whole machine. Haven't seen to much on the game yet though. This is what I do with my revenge from mars and star wars makes it much easier. especially since the p2k machines are freakin heavy.

The batman 66 is nice, I didn't grow up in that time period, but I like the idea. The majority of stern games lately, besides WWE have seemed to do pretty well. I only have one stern game and it does really well.

My plain was to wait till game two came out from PPS/Chicago Gaming. I bought an MMR and I've had it for a little over a year it's almost half way paid off. since I spent 8k that's not bad, people love that game. For me these games from the 90's seem to make more sense. They are easy to understand and almost all of them are really fun.

I wouldn't want to spend anymore then 10k. Just trying to get some insight into what others who come to locations would think. also what you would do if you were an operator. I'm still new to operating pins so...

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I have found this isn't the case for me anyway.

Part of learning your location. What your players like.

Quoted from hocuslocus:

The alien I thought was kinda cool,

Will your players ?

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Best two pins to route IMO are Walking Dead Pro and Iron Man.

#4 7 years ago

Sorry to hear that your WOZ is burning up lamp boards, I had a similar experience. I am curious as to your build date because my location players love WOZ and want me to buy another one, though I am not in too much of a hurry to do it.

Regarding other JJP pins, my Hobbit runs fine, no more maintenance than any other game. Earnings on it are average, nothing at all like WOZ. I wouldn't spend the money on BM66 when there are so many recent Stern games that would probably earn as well or better and cost much less--Metallica Pro, GOT Pro, Kiss Pro, TWD Pro, Star Trek Pro, and others, too.

#5 7 years ago

Alien would be a nice show piece, and if HP sticks around, your plan to swap playfields is good.

Stern Pro's have a lot to offer for a smaller cash hit. Ton's to choose from that do very well on route. You can almost get 2 of them for your 10K.

#6 7 years ago

If you are purchasing only for route and want games that are going to do the best you should probably avoid all of those. Buy a south park for $2500 and stern IJ for $3500 and you will likely make 3 times the money or more of one of the 9K machines for 2-3K less in cost. Any stern pro that has an easy to start multiball will do really well also. IM has short ball times but starting the monger is easy, same with TWD, just bash the big ugly thing until the game start spitting out more balls. Both of those games have short ball times so move the lanes in to make them more newbie friendly.

#7 7 years ago

So you would operate TWD over Ghostbusters? That's my current dilemma with a new spot.

#8 7 years ago

I'd take the $10k and get 2 Stern pro models, with one being GB. I have the LE so game play is a little different, but it's the best Stern pin I've ever played. Even already owning one, I'd pay to play it on location more over the other pins you mentioned.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballomatic:

So you would operate TWD over Ghostbusters? That's my current dilemma with a new spot.

I certainly would, especially with the show starting back up. Is your location skilled players that want the newest game or casual players? If it's the first go with GB, if it's the second go with TWD.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I'm a little hesitant about getting another JJP game, since I got a WOZ and the amount of issues compared to my other two NIB machines is ten times worse.

First machine off the assembly line with all new hardware. Plenty of people complained about Stern's new system and its love for killing node boards, but they worked it out and JJP should have too by now.

Having said that, buy South Park and something else used. Will do better and cost less.

#11 7 years ago

Talking with operators I know, ghost busters pro is killing on route.

walking dead is also doing very well.

#12 7 years ago

As a 'regular' at one of your locations, I'd love to see Dialed In or Ghostbusters there. Love your WoZ and MMr and only play GoT if the other two are occupied. I drive halfway across Houston to get there for WoZ.

#13 7 years ago

each location and player base differs.

IME, in general you are better off buying a Bally/Williams classic A lister or a B lister based on the majority of what gets you the most bang for the buck on route.

I personally would love to have a Dialed In or Alien on route! More so because I really liked how both play. I think they would both do very well on route if you can afford either/both.

#14 7 years ago

Get a cheaper game that will ROI quicker.

IME, one pin is generally going to earn close to the same, regardless of title.

Rotating games every three months seems to be vital.

Don't forget the last ROI you'll get when you sell the game. Unless you are keeping the games for a collection afterward.

#15 7 years ago

my gb is earning exceptionally at a location with over 40 B/W-Data east games.

#16 7 years ago

my WOZ is #8 hundred something 75th. I've talked to tech and I don't think anyone really has anything conclusive as to why the boards keep crapping out. The majority of them are the latest revision now, But I've had to replace a couple of those so I don't know. I was planning on adding a timer on at least that pin, to keep it off for the night anyway. Hoping that will make a difference, WOZ does fine in general just not as good as the others. I personally really like the game, but I can see how it would frustrate people.

Yeah, I have 4 other Williams/bally tables at my house right now that I'm fixing up to try to get them looking newish again. It's a lot of money for one of those new machines. Going to open a second location within 6-9 months, plans already set for it, so I'm trying to get a good line up going.
    from what I hear about Dialed in, it seems like a fun game. Would this game be fun or frustrating for a casual player? I haven't played any of the new releases so I can only speculate. The later stern games seem to be a hit with people in general, which is why I thought batman would be safe bet. I asked around a couple of places out of curiosity, asking if they have any LE slots left for batman and those are long gone. Still have a while before either even start shipping so...

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Would this game be fun or frustrating for a casual player?

Fun. I'm getting one to operate. As long as you intentionally or accidentally hit the guy on the stick, then there is nothing frustrating about the game. Lots of stuff happens even if you don't know what you're doing, which can't be said for every game.

However, I have WOZ at that location, and it's #1 or #2. (I've had no issues with mine outside of castle doors). WOZ is also one of the top earning games for every operator I've ever spoken to in Colorado. It's interesting you say that casual players don't like it. For me, WOZ has an inverse bell curve in terms of who likes it. Noobs are drawn to it. People who know enough to know that they don't understand the rules are not into it. Players who have taken the time to learn the rules play it quite a bit.

I don't think anyone knows about Dialed In. My guess is that people aren't initially going to be drawn to it (because they're going to pick a better known theme), but if they see someone else play it, that'll spark their interest.

I had a blast playing it. To me, it was probably the best first impression I've had of any game made in the last several years.

BUT, as others have said, buying two modern Sterns like MET/GB/ST is a much safer play.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

my WOZ is #8 hundred something 75th. I've talked to tech and I don't think anyone really has anything conclusive as to why the boards keep crapping out. The majority of them are the latest revision now, But I've had to replace a couple of those so I don't know. I was planning on adding a timer on at least that pin, to keep it off for the night anyway.

I believe those light boards crap out the longer the game is powered on. I haven't run a strict experiment or anything, it is just a theory. I only had a few boards burn out in the first year, but the second year on location I replaced all of them, then almost half of them again, and a handful a third time. That was enough for me. Now, the game is in home use and is working and playing fine, no problems with the lamp boards last I heard. Also, friends of mine that received their WOZ at the same time I did have had little or no problems with lamp boards, but their games are home use only.

#19 7 years ago

I'm shocked anyone would leave ANY pin on overnight, such unnessary wear and tear, holy!!!! That must have a lot to do with the boards going out.

Quoted from hocuslocus:my WOZ is #8 hundred something 75th. I've talked to tech and I don't think anyone really has anything conclusive as to why the boards keep crapping out. The majority of them are the latest revision now, But I've had to replace a couple of those so I don't know. I was planning on adding a timer on at least that pin, to keep it off for the night anyway. Hoping that will make a difference, WOZ does fine in general just not as good as the others. I personally really like the game, but I can see how it would frustrate people.
    Yeah, I have 4 other Williams/bally tables at my house right now that I'm fixing up to try to get them looking newish again. It's a lot of money for one of those new machines. Going to open a second location within 6-9 months, plans already set for it, so I'm trying to get a good line up going.
    from what I hear about Dialed in, it seems like a fun game. Would this game be fun or frustrating for a casual player? I haven't played any of the new releases so I can only speculate. The later stern games seem to be a hit with people in general, which is why I thought batman would be safe bet. I asked around a couple of places out of curiosity, asking if they have any LE slots left for batman and those are long gone. Still have a while before either even start shipping so...

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

To me, it was probably the best first impression I've had of any game made in the last several years.
    BUT, as others have said, buying two modern Sterns like MET/GB/ST is a much safer play.

that's kinda of what I was thinking. been waiting on PPS game #2 to come out, then probably get another stern title eventually

As far as casual players not liking it, it's just what I've noticed. Not there all the time though. People get upset when the game ends within a few seconds. I even enabled ball save, but if your not very good that will only help you for so long.

I was talking to a tech about my timer idea and he said no no it shouldn't matter to that degree. well as far as I can see it either people have gotten lucky or they don't know because they don't check. the first light test I had several that were on the wrong color or out. some due to a loose connection, but most because the board crapped out. I'm looking at getting an intermatic smart timers the ones you hard wire in on a din rail. they even have an app for it so instead of programming each and every one, you just do it once.

I would never leave the machine on at my house so why would I anywhere else. At least for the hours it can be turned off.

definitely tempted to try another JJP machine though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-batman-alien-or-something-else-for-a-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.