Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3181 (resized).JPG
stucflo (resized).jpg

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 2 years ago

Anyone else experiencing problem with a ball caught behind the trap door while it is up? ball searches about 5 times before it coughs up another one.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from thePLAyNone:

Anyone else experiencing problem with a ball caught behind the trap door while it is up? ball searches about 5 times before it coughs up another one.

So the ball gets past the trap door, which then raises, but it doesn't have enough momentum to pop out the top of the orbit, so it's stuck?

#53 2 years ago

I had that happen once.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from thePLAyNone:

Anyone else experiencing problem with a ball caught behind the trap door while it is up?

Hopefully the logic on this game will get better. If the opto at the opening of BOB is triggered but not triggered again, and the switch at the end of BOB is not triggered....the game should know right away that the ball is stuck and pop down the trap door.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'd like to add a wishlist item:
- After beating/playing Showdown. The game should end - and you should get this end of game victory celebration of some sort plus a final end of game ball bonus; like 1 mil points for every extra ball you did not use, plus some other end of game bonuses like how you did overall or such. I know this sounds unorthodox-ed compared to what we're used to in pinball. But think about it, you beat the game....and now you start over with disasters again? It doesnt make sense, just like a video game, when you beat it, the game is over. The 'on location' player shouldnt feel cheated out of this because by this time they should have played for 30+ minutes and have already popped the game once or twice for free games.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Love the game but it needs an official end and final resolve to the D.I.E corporation and our hero

Very cool idea. Would have a neat animation and huge victory lap type of deal. Maybe they plan to code in a deeper wizard mode though.

#56 2 years ago

I wonder what the future holds for the Bluetooth and smartphone app? With that kind of connectivity, you could run all tests and audits from your phone without even taking off the glass. Or track and evaluate your stats and progress after the game - maybe hold a "save game" and resume progress later. Really seems like endless possibilities.

Has anyone heard anything about JJP's future app plans? I heard Jack elude to more features in the future but nothing specific.

#57 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can play this game in the NYC Area?

I recently had a chance to try WOz and Hobbit. I thought Hobbit was one of the best and most exciting Pinball I had ever played. (I'm no expert and not yet in the hobby). I came across the games at Silverball Museum in Delray, where they had a nice description of the game and of JJP. (I've attached a pic of the card.)

After going back a second night to play, I have a few questions that relate to Dialed In.

Can anyone contrast DI vs. TH, since I've never seen DI.

One of the things I noticed was about the flippers of both games. WOz seems like traditional flippers, fast, response and light pressure needed. TH however seemed to respond slower (meaning I had to anticipate and flip early) and seemed to require more pressure to fire (I already have Repetitive stress from computer work)

How are Di's flippers in comparison.

I really liked the wide body of TH. I believe DI is standard, so how does that compare as far as play.

IMG_3181 (resized).JPG

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

I recently had a chance to try WOz and Hobbit. I thought Hobbit was one of the best and most exciting Pinball I had ever played. (I'm no expert and not yet in the hobby). I came across the games at Silverball Museum in Delray, where they had a nice description of the game and of JJP. (I've attached a pic of the card.)
After going back a second night to play, I have a few questions that relate to Dialed In.
One of the things I noticed was about the flippers of both games. WOz seems like traditional flippers, fast, response and light pressure needed. TH however seemed to respond slower (meaning I had to anticipate and flip early) and seemed to require more pressure to fire (I already have Repetitive stress from computer work)
I really liked the wide body of TH. I believe DI is standard, so how does that compare as far as play.

Looks like three places to play in NYC: Jackbar & Sunshine Laundromat in Brooklyn, also Pioneers (by Koreatown).
https://www.pinballmap.com/nyc

The flipper difference is just the way they were adjusted. It's the same parts, they can be adjusted to feel exactly the same across all the JJP games if you're so inclined and have access to the inside of the machine.

Dialed In isn't as chaotic as The Hobbit can be. It also has less multiballs (unless TH had this turned down on the one you played). I personally like WoZ and Dialed In, in that order. I am not a fan of The Hobbit. Beautiful machine, wanted to like it. Didn't.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

All three JJP games are vastly different, which is what I like about them and they all play great and ooze quality. The hobbit is a wide open bash fest, but you have to try to see through it and complete the modes. Woz is a masterpiece in all ways. DI is a really cool game, it's very much set up like TZ. I love them all!

#60 2 years ago

The only comparison is that Hobbit is a steaming pile of failure in playfield design, and Dialed In is the first JJP game that feels like "traditional pinball"... it's got a coherent story, magnets, physical AND virtual ball locks, REASONS TO COMPLETE MODES instead of flailing at everything until something happens. It's more interesting than just going for multiball stacks (WOZ) or the ridiculous grinding to get to one of the fun modes (mini-wizards on Hobbit).

Dialed In is a players' game. WOZ and Hobbit are movie aficionado collector pieces, but WOZ is still a vastly superior game to Hobbit. Ugh.

#61 2 years ago

Yeah want to put some good play time in on this game any near central pa to play?

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

it was the bottom 2 lights hooked up wrong from factory

This was the case with mine too!

#63 2 years ago

How were the lights hooked up wrong? How can you tell and how did you fix it?

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from tryton1000:

How were the lights hooked up wrong? How can you tell and how did you fix it?

When Extra Ball was lit, it would award Multiball. When Multiball was lit, it would award Extra Ball.

All you do is just unclip them from the back of the Crazy Bob's sign and swap which holes they are clipped into.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

When Extra Ball was lit, it would award Multiball. When Multiball was lit, it would award Extra Ball.
All you do is just unclip them from the back of the Crazy Bob's sign and swap which holes they are clipped into.

Well, it IS CRAZY Bob's. Maybe yours was "right"!

#66 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies and the pinball map app. I hadn't heard of it. I will check out the game when I'm back in nyc.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from tryton1000:

How can you tell and how did you fix it?

Run a single LED test mode for those lights...they're all marked "SIGN - ___."

Which brings me to my biggest wish list item, let me goddamn navigate left in any menu to go from the first to the last item listed. I don't want o scroll down through 500 options if i don't have to

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Thanks for the replies and the pinball map app. I hadn't heard of it. I will check out the game when I'm back in nyc.

There's also a pinball map on pinside, FYI. I like the pinballmap.com one better, but there's one here, too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/map

#69 2 years ago

I played DI at freddys pinball paradise. The voices sound boring and emotionless. Please jack change something here or do you like it? (I can hardly imagine)
And selfi and emotimode I find something childish.
My wish would be if more atmosphere and emotions is programmed in the speech output.
I get my DI ca 1qauatal 2018 and hope I did not make a mistake.
Sorry my englisch is Not so good

#70 2 years ago

When do you think the next code drop will be?

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr-Worf:

I played DI at freddys pinball paradise. The voices sound boring and emotionless. Please jack change something here or do you like it? (I can hardly imagine)
And selfi and emotimode I find something childish.
My wish would be if more atmosphere and emotions is programmed in the speech output.
I get my DI ca 1qauatal 2018 and hope I did not make a mistake.
Sorry my englisch is Not so good

Give it some more time and plays. That was my initial thought in the first few games I played. By game 10+ you begin to feel the game getting more and more intense as you progress and open it up. I, like you, wasn't a fan of the call outs at first. Now I dig them; they really have a good throw back feel to them. And I love the TZ power laugh the game throws out when it attacks you.

#72 2 years ago

Let's see how it gets with the time.
I think it is still improved at the code, it was worked for WoZ and TH synonymous at the code and improved. Thats Great from JJP
I'm looking forward to the DI

#73 2 years ago

Does anyone else have a ball hangup out the right outlane where the apron attaches to the wireform?

#74 2 years ago

I posted this in the JJP forum too...

One thing I would love to see is the game snap a picture when the game is tilted. And have a picture (almost a wanted poster) scroll in attract mode with the last five tilts or something. Always thought that would be a good use of the camera.
Also, another cool addition would be to have the magnets in the middle of the playfield pulse if the ball is released down from the theatre (when not whipped around to the top). It would really help with straight down the middle drains.

Just some thoughts...

Brian

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

One thing I would love to see is the game snap a picture when the game is tilted. And have a picture (almost a wanted poster) scroll in attract mode with the last five tilts or something. Always thought that would be a good use of the camera.
Also, another cool addition would be to have the magnets in the middle of the playfield pulse if the ball is released down from the theatre (when not whipped around to the top). It would really help with straight down the middle drains.
Just some thoughts...
Brian

One was already in the OP, I just added the other.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

OR they could just stop dropping it STDM in the first place, which is dumb. Firing the mid-playfield magnets in any manner similar to the way they fire in multiball would at least randomized if you're getting screwed or not, but it would still screw you over ~33% of the time, which to me feels real similar to the number of drains I get off the one I've played from theatre shots where it didn't go all the way around.

Tilt idea is funny, but terrible IMO. There's already enough clueless people out there that feel like shaking or moving the game in any way is 'cheating'...is that really something that needs to be reinforced by having the game crap on people (AFTER THEIR GAME IS DONE...) for doing a normal pinball thing, and making them look like the bad guys? They already got their punishment in the form of the tilt. Yeesh.

#77 2 years ago

How about snap a pic when you get a big jackpot or when you start Armageddon. Then on the Armageddon high score table it has a picture next to your initials

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Just some thoughts...
Brian

My theater magnet drops it to the left flipper every time. Check to make sure your game is perfectly level, or maybe my game leans to the left a touch, but it shows 0 on the level.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How about snap a pic when you get a big jackpot or when you start Armageddon. Then on the Armageddon high score table it has a picture next to your initials

The problem with that is that you'd wind up with genitalia. From the Wiki entry for the "Journey" arcade game:

"Although they have cartoon bodies, the faces of the members are shown as black-and-white photographs, taken of the band while on tour. The photo technology was originally to be used in another game, which would take photos for the high scores. However, the game in question failed location testing when one player engaged in exhibitionism, flashing the camera."

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

The problem with that is that you'd wind up with genitalia. From the Wiki entry for the "Journey" arcade game:
"Although they have cartoon bodies, the faces of the members are shown as black-and-white photographs, taken of the band while on tour. The photo technology was originally to be used in another game, which would take photos for the high scores. However, the game in question failed location testing when one player engaged in exhibitionism, flashing the camera."

They just need that "hotdog/not hotdog" and "pepperoni / not pepperoni" app to filter the pictures. Easy. We're in the 21st century.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Does anyone else have a ball hangup out the right outlane where the apron attaches to the wireform?

Actually I did, but because i was working under the hood a bunch I just pushed the apron wireform down a bit...so just raise it up a bit and it'll be golden.

Lot of little tweaks here and there. Had to move my lock wireform out a lot to get it to go nicely to the left flipper.

#82 2 years ago

I still think having a topside camera looking down at the playfield and internet connectivity would be great additions. You'd have a twitch stream all ready to go. Video sources of the player, playfield and the screens would all be available. You could even setup some sort of server that would allow people to play head to head games. You could view their stream while it was their turn.

#83 2 years ago

A number of times now, I've hit the lit Sim Card shot when the trapdoor (left orbit) is also lit for Lock, and it scores the Lock instead of the Sim Card.

#84 2 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the same problem mentioned......

Certain times when I hit the right orbit shot and it doesn't make it to the right ramp, the ball seemingly disappears; I'm not sure where it goes. Ball search proceeds and doesn't always find it. Eventually it gives me a new ball to launch and during play the other ball is "found" and now there are two balls in play.

Thoughts?

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

A number of times now, I've hit the lit Sim Card shot when the trapdoor (left orbit) is also lit for Lock, and it scores the Lock instead of the Sim Card.

I told the JJP software team about this bug and they brushed it off. Sheesh. Def a bug as both holes have their own opto to know which was hit.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

Certain times when I hit the right orbit shot and it doesn't make it to the right ramp, the ball seemingly disappears; I'm not sure where it goes. Ball search proceeds and doesn't always find it. Eventually it gives me a new ball to launch and during play the other ball is "found" and now there are two balls in play.
Thoughts?

Perhaps is dropping gently into the skill shot hole but hanging up on the switch thus the kicker can't reach it to kick it out. When my game was new - and I know of others - this switch was not adjusted down properly and the ball would just hang there not triggering the switch and not down into the slot far enough for the kicker firing to reach it. That could certainly happen on a slow right orbit shot too.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Perhaps is dropping gently into the skill shot hole but hanging up on the switch thus the kicker can't reach it to kick it out.

This for sure...my game does it all the time; need to get in there and adjust it myself.

#88 2 years ago

I found my bob lights were also wrong and had to swap the wires. Damn 3rd light down came out, what a pain in the ass to put back in..

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Perhaps is dropping gently into the skill shot hole but hanging up on the switch thus the kicker can't reach it to kick it out. When my game was new - and I know of others - this switch was not adjusted down properly and the ball would just hang there not triggering the switch and not down into the slot far enough for the kicker firing to reach it. That could certainly happen on a slow right orbit shot too.

THIS. Took me forever to get this switch adjusted right. Lots of fiddling around.

#90 2 years ago

As predicted by someone else here, the mylar over my theater magnet is starting to bubble. Tomorrow I get to figure out how to take that thing apart to get an X-ACTO knife to it...

Tonight's project was the BOB sign. All better now.

#91 2 years ago

The mylar on my phone hole is peeling up as well. Can't stop staring at it...

#92 2 years ago

My theater magnet Mylar is peeling badly too. I need to keep adjusting the magnet pulse timing to get it to throw the ball up (instead of falling down).

#93 2 years ago

So does that mean that even buying a NIB machine still requires being a tinkerer? Not that I mind, But it seems like the more I learn about this hobby, it appears to me that whatever direction I go, a pinball machine Requires tweaking and maintenance. Am I wrong?

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

So does that mean that even buying a NIB machine still requires being a tinkered? Not that I mind, But it seems like the more a learn about this hobby, it appears to me that whatever direction I go, a pinball machine Requires tweaking and maintenance. Am I wrong?

Yes it will most likely. Some more than others, mostly simple things here and there. This doesn't always mean you need to be a real in depth tinkerer though.
The issue it's a complex machine with thousands of tiny little parts in it, and quite frankly they don't always like traveling thousands of miles in a truck or boat. It isn;t like a PlayStation console which are just a collection of computer boards with nothing happening, there are real parts moving around all the time, and being hit with a steel ball zooming around.

You'll also find the tinkering is a part many people like. And luckily, one of the main points of Pinside is poeple helping each other tinker with them and fix them if they need it.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

So does that mean that even buying a NIB machine still requires being a tinkerer? Not that I mind, But it seems like the more I learn about this hobby, it appears to me that whatever direction I go, a pinball machine Requires tweaking and maintenance. Am I wrong?

They're mechanical devices. Like literally ANYTHING mechanical, they will require tinkering and maintenance. Some more than others, but generally the more complicated the features, the more tinkering and maintenance.

#96 2 years ago

We are also, at this point, "beta testers" of a sort - even with all the testing they do at the factory, no one's ever put these machines through the paces that _we_ will.

In the case of the mylar, it's also because that all of that was added late in the production cycle, and therefore didn't go through as complete a test cycle as the rest of the machine (as evidenced by both the theater mylar problems and the SIM card hole "airball" problem I've previously documented).

This is _not_ intended as a slam against anyone involved in the design or production - it just _is_, and (like those of us who had to replace malfunctioning TZ clocks) is just something that "early adopters" of any technology have to deal with.

Some of it's just personal preference, too - the BOB sign works just fine the way it was shipped, but some of us have decided to "mod" it to make it a bit more visible from the player's position.

#97 2 years ago

Sometimes EMP does fling the ball up through the theater every time you shoot it. But the next time you play, it might drop it straight down every time. Confusing.

Another suggestion: often, just after finishing a mode I will trap up to see how many points I got, but it will immediately go to the info screen, skipping over the mode totals. Feels like the mode totals should not defer to info screen.

Another very minor suggestion: selfies cover the point values of shots as they fly off and away from your total. Was watching someone else play and couldn't tell how much he was getting from any of the shots because his smiling mug was covering it up

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Sometimes EMP does fling the ball up through the theater every time you shoot it. But the next time you play, it might drop it straight down every time. Confusing.

It's almost like the EMP is causing irregularities in the Electro Magnetic field

#99 2 years ago

looks like they pulled 1.13 of the site.. maybe new code is coming soon.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's almost like the EMP is causing irregularities in the Electro Magnetic field

Yes, yes...I suppose. But it doesn't mix and match. It's all one way or the other - feels more like a bug.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 189.00
7,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bridgewater, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside