(Topic ID: 243423)

Diagnosing drop target on Black Knight...Help!

By Destin

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Destin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190608_090520.jpg
    fuse (resized).jpg
    IMG_2527 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2526 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2524 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2523 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2522 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2521 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2520 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2519 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2518 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

Well let's try and isolate this down. The coil worked fine before, so that's likely good. Did you have the game off when changing lights? I'm not familiar with that fuse block so you may need to provide a link to the info for use to see if that could be related.

Does it try to fire the coil at all? Or does nothing at all happen?

#8 4 years ago

If you haven't already, pull the fuse associated with the coil and test it with a meter to make sure it's good. It's possible the coil shorted to something and blew a fuse.

#10 4 years ago

Have you tested to see if you are getting voltage at the coil?

How about resistance to see if the coil itself happens to be bad? You can use the chart below or just compare readings to a known good one on another set of targets.

https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Destin:

I have not....mainly because I am not sure how to do this....
    To test voltage, game must be on obviously, but do I need to have a game started or just power to pinball game?
    I have a multi-meter but need some help on what to set it on and where to place the probes
    I have seen a video for testing resistance and it looks like you put meter on ohms and put probes on each end of coil to test. Will this test both the coil and also the diode?? Or can I test those separately??
    Sorry for lack of knowledge but each time I work through an issue with this game I am slowly learning!
    Thanks for help!

No problem. You are on the right track and we will get this sorted. To measure the resistance on the coil set the meter or ohms and just measure across the lugs of the coil with the game off. Compare the measurements to a known good coil of the same type, so another drop target bank.

To measure voltage, you want the game on (be careful) and the red lead of your meter (set to DC volts) on a coil lug and the black lead to ground, I usually just grab the ground strap in the cabinet.

Let us know what you get and we will go from there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diagnosing-drop-target-on-black-knighthelp?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.