(Topic ID: 243423)

Diagnosing drop target on Black Knight...Help!

By Destin

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Destin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190608_090520.jpg
    fuse (resized).jpg
    IMG_2527 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2526 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2524 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2523 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2522 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2521 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2520 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2519 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2518 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider destin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have a Williams Black Knight 1980 vintage, Everything was working on game and I went and replaced bulbs with LED's and added a special solenoid fuse block from NAVRAM. I think everything was working shortly after doing these two upgrades but I played a little later and the lower right drop targets are not working.

Went to solenoid test mode and nothing happens as it tests solenoid #3 which corresponds with this drop target. Looked at all wiring thinking I may have knocked something loose but all wires underneath look good. Everything else works on game so I don't think there is a single fuse for this one drop target.

I am somewhat capable of doing simple repairs if I have some guidance on what and how to test to track down this problem. Thanks for any suggestions!

IMG_2518 (resized).jpgIMG_2518 (resized).jpgIMG_2519 (resized).jpgIMG_2519 (resized).jpgIMG_2520 (resized).jpgIMG_2520 (resized).jpgIMG_2521 (resized).jpgIMG_2521 (resized).jpgIMG_2522 (resized).jpgIMG_2522 (resized).jpgIMG_2523 (resized).jpgIMG_2523 (resized).jpgIMG_2524 (resized).jpgIMG_2524 (resized).jpgIMG_2525 (resized).jpgIMG_2525 (resized).jpgIMG_2526 (resized).jpgIMG_2526 (resized).jpgIMG_2527 (resized).jpgIMG_2527 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Yes, I can reset the lift plate/targets without difficulty.

#5 4 years ago

Here is a link to the solenoid saver I installed: https://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

I do not see any attempt at firing when testing the solenoid.

Yes, the game was unplugged while changing lights and installing fuse block.

Here is a picture of the special solenoid saver installed

Thanks for helping!!

fuse (resized).jpgfuse (resized).jpg

#6 4 years ago

One additional item I just remembered.

When playing the game, and the targets are staying down, the game keeps triggering the lights and activating the magna save so at least some of the wiring is registering that the targets are down...so some of the drop target wires are working.

#9 4 years ago

I did reconnect the wire directly and took the solenoid saver out of the loop but no change.

I have not tested any fuses....since all other solenoids are working I thought a fuse wouldn't be the cause.....does this solenoid have a separate fuse??
    I am not at the game location or I would go test the fuses before answering but I assumed their were more than just that solenoid on a fuse.

I thought about the wire harness being jiggled. I think it is the one just below where the solenoid saver connector goes. I did wiggle those wires on that connector but didn't get the droptarget to work.

I realize all the connectors to the board are original and should probably be replaced but haven't started that project yet.

Is there a way to test the solenoid/wires to see if they are getting power?

Would this be a board issue?

Thanks for suggestions!

#11 4 years ago

I have not....mainly because I am not sure how to do this....

To test voltage, game must be on obviously, but do I need to have a game started or just power to pinball game?
    I have a multi-meter but need some help on what to set it on and where to place the probes

I have seen a video for testing resistance and it looks like you put meter on ohms and put probes on each end of coil to test. Will this test both the coil and also the diode?? Or can I test those separately??

Sorry for lack of knowledge but each time I work through an issue with this game I am slowly learning!
    Thanks for help!

#12 4 years ago

According to chart, 5.3 is resistance for my coil. I will check when I get home.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks! Will do!

1 week later
    #18 4 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding. Just tested drop target coil. Resistance with game off is .001 which is same as other drop target coil.
    Voltage with game on is 80.2 volts which is same as other drop target coil.

So....what should I be looking for now??
    Thanks for the advice!!

#19 4 years ago

Additional info: tested all fuses with meter and all working

basically everything in game works just no reset of drop targets. they move easily and when game being played, it keeps sounding and flashing three arrows in front of targets and gives points for targets down and this repeats so it recognizes all three targets are down, just no reset.

#21 4 years ago

Let me see if I can answer your questions:

Solenoid saver working and special solenoids are working...so not a player in my problem

Game start: all targets reset except the lower right drop target. All solenoids fire when running solenoid test EXCEPT: lower right drop target

I checked volatage by turning game on and putting red tip of multi-meter on coil terminal with red wire and black tip on ground cable in cabinet....got 80.2 volts. I then checked the coil on the lower left droptargets and got 80.2 volts as well. **I did not do this in solenoid test mode**

I have not checked the "connector" on the board...not sure how to test this.....if you could give me some guidance! According to schematic: Solenoid Coil #3 is for lower right drop targets and it connects on J11, 3rd wire from top of connector colored Gray/Orange. You can see it in the above photos.

I also need help with testing overall coil wiring......what is the transitor tab?? Where is this located?? How do you ground....just put meter on voltage and one tip on tab and other on ground wire?? Is the game on for this??

Thanks for helping!

#22 4 years ago

Hopeful Bump!!

#24 4 years ago

Great! Thnaks for the explanation. I will test this next!

3 months later
    #27 4 years ago

OK...so here is an update.. I went through the wiring and the wire at the connector to the board was apparently not making good contact. After correcting this, the coil can be triggered by grounding at the coil and also at the TIP transistor. So, since this was corrected, no additional problems.
    I also just upgraded the flippers to the WPC type and they play much better. Used VID's flipper guide to order the complete flipper units and install. Very easy and has improved play!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider destin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diagnosing-drop-target-on-black-knighthelp?tu=destin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.