(Topic ID: 154137)

Dia de los Muertos Stern Shirt Illustrated by Ryan Claytor

By RyanClaytor

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

leftSleeveColor_(resized).jpg
    backColor_(resized).jpg
    frontColor_(resized).jpg
    rightSleeveColor_(resized).jpg
    ClaytorSternShirt_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I’m excited to announce that I recently completed an ambitious T-shirt design (4-locations, with up to 7-colors in each print location) for Stern Pinball. Please click to enlarge this next image:

ClaytorSternShirt_(resized).jpgClaytorSternShirt_(resized).jpg

It’s a sequential/comic-book style shirt that tells a brief narrative. This Dia de los Muertos themed story starts on the back with the group of skeletons playing a pinball machine and wondering where they can get more. “The guy” with the pinball machines is somewhere else, so they go searching.

backColor_(resized).jpgbackColor_(resized).jpg

Move to the left sleeve print and you see a group of skeletons begin to locate him.

leftSleeveColor_(resized).jpgleftSleeveColor_(resized).jpg

On the front of the shirt, they’ve located “the guy,” who is, of course, company figurehead, Gary Stern. This front print is also a thinly-veiled advertisement for the company (as you'll find on any good T-shirt composition). ...but by design, it also fits into the narrative.

frontColor_(resized).jpgfrontColor_(resized).jpg

Finally, if you proceed to the right sleeve print, you’ll find the 3 principal designers (from left to right, John Trudeau, Steve Ritchie, and John Borg) all huddling in the bushes fearing that Gary Stern will inadvertently lead the skeletons in their direction.

rightSleeveColor_(resized).jpgrightSleeveColor_(resized).jpg

I had a ton of fun producing this illustrated shirt for Stern and hope others will enjoy wearing them. The shirts are already printed and ready to order. Interested parties can purchase these shirts from the Stern company store by following this direct link:

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=5516824

I wanted to take this opportunity to send a huge thanks to Stern Pinball and Jody Dankberg, not only for hiring me to illustrate a shirt for them, but also for approving this over-the-top shirt design. (It was NOT a simple or inexpensive shirt print, by any means.) I'm glad to be a small part of Stern history and hope I did the company and our hobby justice.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#2 8 years ago

Aw yeah! You know I approve of this theme Ryan!!!

#3 8 years ago

Fantastic looking shirt! I love the legs on that pin. Way to go Ryan, way to go Stern.

#4 8 years ago

Ryan, this shirt is awesome! Received mine recently, and it looks amazing.

People stop me and ask about Stern, which leads to a great conversation about pinball.

Everyone should grab one of these and support a great artist and a great pinball company!

#5 8 years ago

Very nice Ryan, once again you managed to really capture the awesomeness of your style and to also tell a great story....and all on a t-shirt at that. The skull face for the game is pretty cool. If you people haven't done so grab one of these shirts while you can and help support not only Ryan but the entire pinball community. If Ryan gets enough support from us then he will be able to continue to do what he does and keep cranking out the shirts. WAY TO GO RYAN!!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#6 8 years ago

Maybe Ryan can do the art for a Stern machine next.

#7 8 years ago

HA! Another fantastic design from the premier pinball T-shirt artist. They sure will be popular in my neck of the woods!

#8 8 years ago

Damn, that is sweet! I need to get one of these to rep my favorite designer Trudeau! Another great product Ryan, keep up the great contributions to pinball!

#9 8 years ago

Shirt ordered!

Nice work, Ryan!

#10 8 years ago

Nice work, Ryan! Awesome!

#11 8 years ago

sweet shirt!

#12 8 years ago

Awesome shirt Ryan, need to go place an order...

#13 8 years ago

Absolutely love this design....fantastic amount of detail, and I love the story that is told on every panel.

One of your best, if not the best.

I'm definitely in for one. It'll be fun to get it signed by all those designers at the next Chicago Expo...

Pete

#15 8 years ago

Based on the description in the Stern store, it looks like these are Next Level premium fitted shirts:
    http://www.nextlevelapparel.com/Prod-24-1-28-2/fitted-short-sleeve-crew.htm
    ...or maybe American Apparel 2001 shirts:
    http://www.americanapparel.net/wholesaleresources/ExpressOrder/Catalog/Product.aspx?s=2001&cid=198
    ...which is awesome news if you hate the fit & feel of typical boxy, heavyweight t-shirts as much as I do.

Awesome work, Ryan. And kudos to Stern for greenlighting such an intricate design.

#16 8 years ago

Pure awesomeness! This will be my first purchase from Stern. Love it!

#17 8 years ago

MSU comics forum poster looks great.

#18 8 years ago

Oh man, this is my favorite shirt of yours yet!

#19 8 years ago

Living so close to the border I have often heard of Día de los Muertos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Ryan, love the story telling you have done on this T-Shirt!

You don't know it yet, but two terms are about to be added to the Urban Dictionary in your honor, 'circling' and spinning-in-place.' Circling is when someone tries to read all of the speech balloons on your Día de los Muertos pinball storyboard. As they do this, they begin to move from back, to left side, to front, to right side and back to back again making a full circle in the process. This can be perilous for the viewer when the T-Shirt wearer is on the move.

Spinning-In-Place occurs when a more brazen bystander asks for you to turn so they can see the four pieces of art. Kids will be particularly interested and bold enough to ask you to show the wares so they can read all of the speech bubbles. After a day of this, you may be so dizzy from spinning-in-place that you suddenly come to the realization that this is what an ice skater must feel like after a performance.

Adoring women will want you to remove the shirt so they can see the art close-up and read the story line without anyone having to move. This will be known as a comic strip.

#20 8 years ago

Very nice work Ryan, as always

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dia-de-los-muertos-stern-shirt-illustrated-by-ryan-claytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.