DILE-RightScreenLatchNormal (resized).jpg
DILE-LeftScreenLatchBent (resized).jpg
DILE-ScreenCrooked (resized).jpg
image3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180917_105741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180917_105758 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180916_121940 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Just got my DILE today. Yay! For some reason, I can't get into the backbox with the backbox keys. The lock is sitting at a slight angle (maybe 5 degrees counterclockwise of straight up/down). I can turn it a little bit further in that direction and that's it. No matter which key or direction, I can't get this lock open. So I'm wondering:

Which way is the lock supposed to turn to open? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I'm theorizing it's supposed to go clockwise, and it was overtightened at the factory, past the vertical position, so I can't push it past the translite plastic in the correct direction. I can see the lock from behind through the fan vent hole, and the lock bar is definitely not straight.

Any tips on how to fix this situation without drilling the lock? I verified the number on the lock and the keys match. Kind of frustrated!

#2 6 years ago

and these are the backbox keys that are inside the coinpurs...er coin door?

EDIT: Never mind: mine as the same can't open the header...must be some obvious trick in the instructions we never read

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

and these are the backbox keys that are inside the coinpurs...er coin door?

Is it possible to nudge the lock with a credit card between the crack of the door while turning the key.
I'd also fiddle with the lock aggressively while trying to slide the just a hair in and out of the lock while turning both ways. Sometimes these locks get finicky.
Also sometimes a lock is installed wrong so you have to turn clockwise to open.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Vesper:

Just got my DILE today. Yay! For some reason, I can't get into the backbox with the backbox keys. The lock is sitting at a slight angle (maybe 5 degrees counterclockwise of straight up/down). I can turn it a little bit further in that direction and that's it. No matter which key or direction, I can't get this lock open. So I'm wondering:
Which way is the lock supposed to turn to open? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I'm theorizing it's supposed to go clockwise, and it was overtightened at the factory, past the vertical position, so I can't push it past the translite plastic in the correct direction. I can see the lock from behind through the fan vent hole, and the lock bar is definitely not straight.
Any tips on how to fix this situation without drilling the lock? I verified the number on the lock and the keys match. Kind of frustrated!

The backglass is in SUPER TIGHT. You probably need to fiddle with the backglass up and down a little while turning the lock. It took me a few tries to unlock it and a few more to get it locked again. Locking it took more than getting it unlocked. I was afraid I'd break it!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Is it possible to nudge the lock with a credit card between the crack of the door while turning the key.
I'd also fiddle with the lock aggressively while trying to slide the just a hair in and out of the lock while turning both ways. Sometimes these locks get finicky.
Also sometimes a lock is installed wrong so you have to turn clockwise to open.

Whoops! I thought it was the coin door.

Can't you just take out the screws that holds the lock in place and than pull the whole lock out.
I just did that recently with my tmnt. Than you can see what's going on with lock itself.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Can't you just take out the screws that holds the lock in place and than pull the whole lock out.

No. You can remove the screws holding the speaker assembly in place and look at things. Be careful so the glass doesn't slide forward and fall out.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The backglass is in SUPER TIGHT. You probably need to fiddle with the backglass up and down a little while turning the lock. It took me a few tries to unlock it and a few more to get it locked again. Locking it took more than getting it unlocked. I was afraid I'd break it!

This^^^^

Took me a solid 5-10 min to open. Was about to give up. I started shimmying the back glass and pushing on it and finally got it. It also unlocks clockwise. I think you can remove a few pieces of the foam that hold it in place. I'm not sure, but I swear I heard them say the foam was there for shipping and can be removed. I think it was to keep It tight during shipping, but is easily removable.

#8 6 years ago

I had the same issue, thought I was given the wrong keys. Took me over an hour to unlock it. Basically, I had to remove the two security screws, pull the entire speaker panel out (be careful, wires are still attached), remove the screw holding the locking mechanism on and then reinstalled it. Loosening the security screws should ultimately allow the key to turn. I couldn't understand exactly what was wrong, but reinstalling the lock fixed the issue. I alerted JJP to the issue, seems I'm not the only one. No foam on my game.

#9 6 years ago

Looking at it more closely, it seems like the lock bar is slightly too long on the one here and instead of securing the top of the glass so you can't lift it, it's going behind the top and snagging the trim. I literally had the top trim pull off because it was caught in the bottom of the "L" on the lock bar.

#10 6 years ago

I was able to fix my lock by removing the speaker panel as suggested. There was no way to do it otherwise for my machine. I adjusted the lock and now am able to unlock/lock it. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

#11 6 years ago

I have to give this a shot, I cannot get into my back box after messing with it for an hour.
Any pictures someone can provide? Or just pull out the speaker panel and give it a look?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Or just pull out the speaker panel and give it a look?

Unscrew the speaker panel. Careful of the wires.

#13 6 years ago

And HOLD the speaker panel once you remove the screws, or have someone else hold it so you can stay with the glass and keep it steady.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks guys, waiting for the wifey to get home for an extra set of hands and will give it a shot.

#15 6 years ago

Details matter....

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unscrew the speaker panel. Careful of the wires.

Why doesn't JJP fix this on the line. The lock bar is just a hair too long. Moving the drilled hole for the lock up 1/8" or shortening the bar by the same will fix the issue.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why doesn't JJP fix this on the line.

They have. Some games got out before it became apparent.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They have. Some games got out before it became apparent.

Ah! Good to know!

1 year later
#19 5 years ago

I picked up one of the early 6/2017 Dialed In LE's the other day and had to take the two speaker panel screws out as mentioned.
Here is a pic of what I saw when opened. Is there a pic or a service bulletin online that will explains how this should look/fix?
Glad I found this thread about taking out the two speaker screws as that was the ON:Y way the backglass was coming off.

IMG_20180916_121940 (resized).jpgIMG_20180916_121940 (resized).jpg
#20 5 years ago

I had the same issue when I first received my pin.
Instead of trying to bend out the latch as some had recommended, I called JJP and Frank (in Service Support) sent me a new lock & latch.
I would give JJP a call.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I had the same issue when I first received my pin.
Instead of trying to bend out the latch as some had recommended, I called JJP and Frank (in Service Support) sent me a new lock & latch.
I would give JJP a call.

Thanks. I will call or email.
I'll pull the existing lock latch out while I have it apart.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I picked up one of the early 6/2017 Dialed In LE's the other day and had to take the two speaker panel screws out as mentioned.
Here is a pic of what I saw when opened. Is there a pic or a service bulletin online that will explains how this should look/fix?
Glad I found this thread about taking out the two speaker screws as that was the ON:Y way the backglass was coming off.[quoted image]

I also had the same issue and solved it the same way. It wasn't difficult but an irritating PITA.

#23 5 years ago

I took the lock out of the speaker panel.
Screwed the speaker wood panel back on and still couldn't get backglass in place still. Would not clear the bottom lip.
Loosened the 2 screws and still struggled with it. In fact gave up for now till I find out what the issue is. Does the revised lock cam mech take care of that?

#24 5 years ago

I was told I might need to trim some wood of the top cutouts of the speaker baffle box to get it to fit more easily since mine as a very early game.
Anyone else have to do that? Mine measures 1". JJP says it should be 1.25"...Skinnier tape is mine now. Thicker tape showing 1.25" is what JJP states it should be.
IMG_20180917_105741 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_105741 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_105758 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_105758 (resized).jpgimage3 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpeg

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Anyone else have to do that?

Me. I was one of the lucky ones.

#26 5 years ago

Lloyd, I found a way to manipulate the backglass on and off without trimming the wood.

For now, the lock mechanism has been taken out, awaiting the modified one from JJP.

When I replace the glass on the game, I lift as high as it can go, then i attach a suction cup top center right below the speaker bar and pull the glass at the top towards me as I keep lifting. It works!

I probably will still do the wood modification eventually.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I probably will still do the wood modification eventually.

Cover stuff up to prevent dust getting into things. Dremel, 5 to 10 minutes. Done. Clean up. Enjoy.

3 years later
#28 2 years ago

Thanks for all of the info in this thread, it helped me out a lot. I was trying to get into my backbox for the first time on my "new to me" DILE #324.
I couldn't budge the backglass even though I had no trouble rotating the backbox lock.

In my case the problem turned out to be that the monitor was sitting in front of the latch on the left side of the backbox, which pushed it tight against the backglass.
I had to unscrew the speakers to get it out, and then noticed that the screen latch was bent on the left side.
That also explained why my screen was slightly crooked behind the backglass.

Not sure how many other people are still buying used DILEs, but if your having problems getting in the backbox for the first time, try checking to make sure your monitor is latched correctly on both sides.

I did not need to remove any wood as CUJO showed in his picture, or need to remove the foam padding on the display.
I only have 1" of cutout, but my backglass slides in easily when I have the monitor latched correctly on both sides.

While I was in there, I moved the Bluetooth USB dongle to an open connector on the motherboard to free the front USB connector for a WiFi dongle for the 1.75 update. I hope this helps the next pinsider out.

DILE-ScreenCrooked (resized).jpgDILE-ScreenCrooked (resized).jpgDILE-LeftScreenLatchBent (resized).jpgDILE-LeftScreenLatchBent (resized).jpgDILE-RightScreenLatchNormal (resized).jpgDILE-RightScreenLatchNormal (resized).jpgDILE-ScreenStraight (resized).jpgDILE-ScreenStraight (resized).jpgDILE-BluetoothDongleRelocated (resized).jpgDILE-BluetoothDongleRelocated (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#29 2 years ago
Quoted from pmontelo:

Thanks for all of the info in this thread, it helped me out a lot. I was trying to get into my backbox for the first time on my "new to me" DILE #324.
I couldn't budge the backglass even though I had no trouble rotating the backbox lock.
In my case the problem turned out to be that the monitor was sitting in front of the latch on the left side of the backbox, which pushed it tight against the backglass.
I had to unscrew the speakers to get it out, and then noticed that the screen latch was bent on the left side.
That also explained why my screen was slightly crooked behind the backglass.
Not sure how many other people are still buying used DILEs, but if your having problems getting in the backbox for the first time, try checking to make sure your monitor is latched correctly on both sides.
I did not need to remove any wood as CUJO showed in his picture, or need to remove the foam padding on the display.
I only have 1" of cutout, but my backglass slides in easily when I have the monitor latched correctly on both sides.
While I was in there, I moved the Bluetooth USB dongle to an open connector on the motherboard to free the front USB connector for a WiFi dongle for the 1.75 update. I hope this helps the next pinsider out.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Smart move on moving the Bluetooth dongle to the open USB port on the motherboard. I'm going to follow your lead.
Let me know how the 1.75 update looks and if there is anything exciting "happening" now that your DILE is connected to the outside world.

1 year later
#30 9 months ago

Having a similar issue and struggling so time to revive this thread. I’ve snapped the bottom tab plastics almost all off as it’s almost glued in on my WOZ. The key lock turns freely and is definitely unlocked. The back glass just feels like it’s super tight at the bottom. The top however has a small amount of play. Where do I go from here?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#31 9 months ago
Quoted from JTreds:

Having a similar issue and struggling so time to revive this thread. I’ve snapped the bottom tab plastics almost all off as it’s almost glued in on my WOZ. The key lock turns freely and is definitely unlocked. The back glass just feels like it’s super tight at the bottom. The top however has a small amount of play. Where do I go from here?
[quoted image]

I have suction cups I use for removing playfields. It would be good for this use as well. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ZUOS-Powr-Grip-suction-Granite-Capacity/dp/B07HNKBCS3

#32 9 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have suction cups I use for removing playfields. It would be good for this use as well. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ZUOS-Powr-Grip-suction-Granite-Capacity/dp/B07HNKBCS3

Thanks, I’ll give this a try

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 22.50
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/di-cant-get-into-my-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.