Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010753(1).JPG
P1010861(1).JPG
P1010459(1).jpg
P1010455(1).jpg
P1010454(1).jpg
P1010435(1).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballsofsteel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

finally.

after 3 weeks of preping, wood repairs, etc, clear coating, wet sanding, buffing, etc..

I"M DONE! i used varathane poly clear. next step now will be playfield swap with my current thrashed out pf. not bad for my first pinball clear coat (on a nice playfield i was sweating bullets at times). had to do some magna save wood repairs as well (seems it is a common DH pf wear). here she is;

1st pic is a cleaned/preped before with 0 clear left as you can see (with dimples even), and elevated inserts; (the middle pf pic)

2nd pic is over head finished

3rd pic is side shot of clear

P1010435(1).jpgP1010435(1).jpg P1010454(1).jpgP1010454(1).jpg P1010455(1).jpgP1010455(1).jpg

#3 12 years ago

and one more;

P1010459(1).jpgP1010459(1).jpg

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

It will play awesome cleared

ya i'm ready for a fast action dirty!!! i think i have 8 pieces of mylar currettly covering inserts that are no more (broken pf glass chewed up most the inserts i figured when i bought the machine because i was cleaning glass out of it for a week). its like christmas...waiting for my 'new' dh gameplay.

#9 12 years ago

thanks guys, ya its a lot of fine wet sanding for sure, and patience with coats of clear.

i forgot to thank whrsoncestood for all his guidance and previous posts regarding clear coating a playfield. his incredible hulk and flash are insane!!!!! good luck on your current project.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Doesn't it have a clear / Diamond Plate already? Did you have to sand that off first

i don't think it's a diamond plate, couldn't find anything anywhere stating it was. i think its a re-import from europe though, they're is some finnish? dutch? on a sticker under the playfield. there wasn't really any clear left to sand in the high ball areas, mainly the non traffic areas only.

what was the diagnosis on your board? just interested, more than likely i may have to deal with it sooner or later (if it hasn't already been done).

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Yes, DH has diamondplate

supposedly so does my DM? i don't see any proof of it, i've heard that some machines received the diamond plate and others didnt'. i'll have to post pics of my original DH pf once i pull it out of the cabinet. whenever i get around to that..lol

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

All DH and DM had diamondplate coatings from the factory.

thanks for squaring that up for me.

Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

looks very nice
how many coats do you think it took?

10-14 coats, seriously. i'd do a light one, wait 1-2 hours, then another. then either sand, or add a light 3rd depending on how i felt it filled/settled in. i wouldn't sand though until at least 8-12 hours after 2-3 light coats to let dry accordingly.

thanks again for the compliments, just need a rotissorie table. ugg

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The factory finish dulls down over time

i agree 100% john. so much of the clear coat was gone on the high ball traffic areas that they were becomming dimpled and 1/3 of the inserts were raised. after the initial sanding before clearing i noticed i was sanding down the dimples almost to the color like you mentioned so i did so very lightly, and actually didn't need much sanding at all where the clear had worn down. i could have sworn i read somewhere Black Rose was saying he saw 'diamond plate' printed on the side of one of his DM pf's. that's why i was hesitant to think my DM and DH had them, i didn't see a print anywhere. thanks for the information.

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:That looks good! You cleared with "rattle cans

ya i used 2 to 3 spray cans varathane poly clear coat gloss. hard to find, only a few places carry it (in wyoming anyways).

7 months later
#26 11 years ago

finally got the DH swapped out. 1st pic is new pf being populated, 2nd is the old pf during dismantling. plays and looks great. thanks to my bro ffej knar for help and rot table;

// Error: Image 50688 not found // P1010861(1).JPGP1010861(1).JPG P1010753(1).JPGP1010753(1).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.50
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballsofsteel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dh-playfield-clear-coatachieved?tu=ballsofsteel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.