Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gs80asb (resized).jpg
2018-03-03_09h21_24 (resized).png
switches (resized).jpg
dips (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I just replaced my MPU board in my 1982 Gottlieb System 80a Devil's Dare with a new Rottondog MPU board. I am pretty sure I have the dip switches set correctly, but could use a picture of someone's MPU board to make sure.
Also, I accidentally pushed the self test button inside the coin door. It seems I am now stuck in test mode. The game will play, but the credit display and 2 left and right bottom displays don't return to normal mode.
I do not have a manual and can not find one online. I am guessing this is an easy fix, but I don't even know how to change basic options like switching from a 3 to 5 ball game.

#2 6 years ago

Is something preventing you from replicating the DIP switch positions on your old board to the RD board?
3/5 ball selection is a DIP switch selection.

Regarding players 2-4 displays not coming up...very strange. Do they still work in display test (test #19 IIRC).

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Is something preventing you from replicating the DIP switch positions on your old board to the RD board?
3/5 ball selection is a DIP switch selection.

Regarding players 2-4 displays not coming up...very strange. Do they still work in display test (test #19 IIRC).

I did replicate the dip switch positions, but I am second guessing myself and wondering if somehow I unknowingly messed up the sequence when taking the Gottlieb board out of the back box. All 4 scoring displays are working. There are 2 more in addition to the credts display that are not returning to normal play mode.
Here is a link to my facebook page where I posted a video of what the machine is doing.
https://www.facebook.com/PlayItAgainVinyl/

dips (resized).jpgdips (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

you have the dip switches around the wrong way,
you have put them all in the completely opposite to what you had before.

ie. in your pic
switch 1 on original board is OFF
Switch 1 on Rottendog board in ON

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TIB:

you have the dip switches around the wrong way,
you have put them all in the completely opposite to what you had before.

Hey, that was it. Thanks! I'm back in business.
Do you happen to know how to turn off the attract mode sound? Every few minutes the game puts out a random sound clip.

#6 6 years ago

That setting is implemented via sound board dip switches.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jmorrow7:

Do you happen to know how to turn off the attract mode sound? Every few minutes the game puts out a random sound clip.

On sound board.
Dipswitch
3 & 4
Off. Off. Attract mode disabled
On. Off. Every 10 seconds
Off. On Every 2 minutes
On. On. Every 4minutes

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TIB:

On sound board.
Dipswitch
3 & 4
Off. Off. Attract mode disabled
On. Off. Every 10 seconds
Off. On Every 2 minutes
On. On. Every 4minutes

I am sorry to bother you again. I have been working on solving my issue with the attract mode audio. I belive I have followed your information. But, something is still not right. I still get periodic attract mode sound. Can you please run down the entire bank of switches and state what each one does? Here is an image of what I curently have set.

gs80asb (resized).jpggs80asb (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Can someone post what all of the dip stitches do on this game?

#10 6 years ago

Yes... but better get the full documentation !
Here is the page for the DIP configuration on the CPU board:
switches (resized).jpgswitches (resized).jpg

This is usable for both US and export versions of the DD.

Some tips about the DIP settings on SYSTEM 80A:
Basically, all SYSTEM 80A use the same skeleton (for coin chute and common settings) because it's controlled by the U2/U3 ROM (that are common to all 80A). But the DIP can also be controlled by the GAME ROM, so some pinballs can be customized.

Most of the time, the DIP 31 and 32 are reserved for this purpose (they were used for "liberal" (easy) or "conservative" (hard) settings in previous SYSTEM 80).
But sometimes, others DIP may be used for specific usage, like DIP 6, 7, 8 in Caveman.

The most obscure is the NOVELTY : it's a legacy from the period, where winning play (or credits !) was not allowed.
There is no explanation of this mode in the documentations, except in the very first SYSTEM 80.

2018-03-03_09h21_24 (resized).png2018-03-03_09h21_24 (resized).png

When you set the NOVELTY mode, the SPECIAL and EXTRA-BALL features are disabled. You cannot win a ball or credits.
In place, you get extra-points (50.000) and the knocker is activated 5 times.
Of course, the others DIP controlling the SPECIAL/EXTRA are not active.
As far as I remind, the credits for winning the HIGH-SCORE are also disabled.

So setting the NOVELTY, can be very surprising !

#11 6 years ago

Thanks I forgot to order the manual on my last order from Steve. I will definitely get it next time.

1 week later
#12 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Thanks I forgot to order the manual on my last order from Steve. I will definitely get it next time.

Hey,
If you want to split the cost of a manual, I would be fine with a scanned PDF.

7 months later
#13 5 years ago

Is there a way to disable extra balls on this game? Not sure there is really a reason to disable them for tournament play, but I want to know if its possible.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Is there a way to disable extra balls on this game? Not sure there is really a reason to disable them for tournament play, but I want to know if its possible.

yes it is possible, refer to post #10

#15 5 years ago

Damn, I miss this game alot. Mine ended up in a weird theme bar in New Jersey. The bar owner that bought it, loved it.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from TIB:

yes it is possible, refer to post #10

Novelty mode enables insane scoring for extra balls and lets you hit the target over and over instead of just once. This is not an option with players like the Sharpes in the tournament.

1 week later
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Novelty mode enables insane scoring for extra balls and lets you hit the target over and over instead of just once. This is not an option with players like the Sharpes in the tournament.

switches 21 & 22 in the off position would give special instead of extra ball?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 12.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/devils-dare-self-test-mode-and-dip-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.