Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6554 (resized).JPG
IMG_6557 (resized).JPG
IMG_6471 (resized).JPG

#1 8 months ago

So I have already had a bad purchase experience with buying a Gameplan Old Coney Island. Learned alot about pins through that experience. The board was covered by battery acid. The seller even took out the rom chips to operate the game after he was paid. Great learning experience about board cleaning and battery acid (lol). Anywhoo...I want to buy a machine that more readily has parts and boards more readily available, and is more fun to me i.e. Devil's Dare. I am wondering what kind of problems to look out for before purchasing one. Haven't found one yet for sale but would like know what to look at before I buy one. Also would like to know about any common problems I would face while owning one. Thanks!

*sigh* can't seem to find a working player condition one for under 1k...

#2 8 months ago

Bad speech chip can be a pain. Hard to find and expensive

#3 8 months ago

I see. So it is prone to problems with its sound board? Thanks zacaj, good to know!

Is there a typical price to expect for it based on its condition? 3 thousand for mint? 2 thousand for bad backglass, cabinet, and legs but working with a nice playfield? 1500 for uncared for project in non-working condition? Just curious.

#4 8 months ago

2000 would be for an absolutely perfect one that has already been gone through.

System 80's need a lot of work done to get them running and reliable. I do recommend you get the Pascal board if available for devil's date.

The center plastic above the drop targets is often broken and not available.

If it needs work i would be paying around 1200 or less if it needs a new mpu.

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from Silverballbrain:

Haven't found one yet for sale but would like know what to look at before I buy one. Also would like to know about any co

IMO, looking for any specific forty year old title will take far more effort than taking any game that fits your budget, distance, and time criteria. If you use the search feature at IPDB you can find other tables with features you like. Designer, 5-bank, era... whatever you like. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=673
Pinwiki: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80
Owners thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club

#6 8 months ago

System 80 Gottlieb pins are not the direction you want to take for , ahem...reliability.
Devil's Dare is fun..but prone to issues.
A never more than $1,500 title...only way it fetches more is if it has a Pascal CPU, perfect playfield, and an aftermarket power supply.

Increase you budget to $2,000, and your entire world of options opens up.
You kind of missed the boat regarding the days of available $1,000 complete, reliable pins with good replay value, unless you get real lucky and beat all us other seagulls to the punch.

#7 8 months ago

Good to know about, YeOldPinPlayer. Will definitely look into the links suggested. Starting to sound like I should look into Gorgar instead. Good advice, EJG10532626. Devil's dare is starting to sound like an expensive relationship. I agree, 2000 would open up a-lot of windows. I guess I should save up some more.Not sure if I can keep up with the rest of the pack

#8 8 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

IMO, looking for any specific forty year old title will take far more effort than taking any game that fits your budget, distance, and time criteria. If you use the search feature at IPDB you can find other tables with features you like. Designer, 5-bank, era... whatever you like. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=673
Pinwiki: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80
Owners thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club

I agree.

#9 8 months ago

I should look into Gorgar instead

This also should not be no where near a $2k game unless it looks new.

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

This also should not be no where near a $2k game unless it looks new.

So we are talking perfect restore or something closer to or like NOS condition game for $2k, right? Thanks.

#11 8 months ago

So we are talking perfect restore or something closer to or like NOS condition game for $2k, right? Thanks.

Either way, there just is not much to the game.

#12 8 months ago

Its a fun game with a lot to shoot for. Being a Gottlieb, there is plenty that can go wrong with the boards. Installing the grounding mods can help and finding a game with them already installed is a bonus. The center plastic is often broken and hard to find. These games can have problems with pop bumpers. Pretty easy fix as each pop bumper has its own driver board and these are only about $20 each.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates

#13 8 months ago

DD is no better or worse than any other System 80 game - Black Hole, Volcano, Mars, Spirit, etc etc. There is lots of information on line on how to work on them and boards and parts are relatively available and/or repairable. Replacement plastics and backglasses can be hard to find so get a game with good ones. Playfield wear, as previously mentioned, can be an issue as well as acid damage to the MPU and driver boards. You should be able to find decent examples of more or less working DD and in need of shopping in the $1000 range. Nice working examples with good cosmetics I would think in the $2000 range. DD is not a game you see very often. My experience is that once you get System 80 games going, they stay very reliable, or at least as much as any other pinball machine!

#14 8 months ago

Rare post where many of the points are solid and pretty accurate.
When many Pinsiders all agree on something, take it too the bank as nearly factual, because it never happens

Sorcerer sounds like it would be a good title to start for you (op).
Can often be found between $1,500 and $1,800, is built well and holds up, and is right in the middle of old/new as far as play styles.

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from sbmania:

My experience is that once you get System 80 games going, they stay very reliable, or at least as much as any other pinball machine!

System 80/80A is no more unreliable than System 11 Williams, people are just more familiar with the Williams.

Gottlieb's have edge connectors which need a bit more finesse than standard .156 pin, but just as reliable when you get the battery off the board and do ground mods. 80B is the weak sister of the bunch with the damn daughter board but there is even a fix for that.

Caps and diodes are the main failure points, just like any other pin.

#16 8 months ago

Devil's Dare is a fun pin !
Center or even the whole plastic set can be find in Italy : https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Pinball-Devils-Dare-Gottlieb-center-drop-target-flipper/223538014152?hash=item340be767c8:g:qI8AAOSwtRNci2M-

IMG_6471 (resized).JPG
#17 8 months ago

the center plastic is almost always broken and impossible to find. If it is broke odds are you will never find a replacement. As mentioned earlier the sound can go haywire on DD. I would not pay over $1000 for a nice one.

#18 8 months ago

Center plastic can be protected by placing a siamese post and a second translucent plastic under the original one.

IMG_6554 (resized).JPGIMG_6557 (resized).JPG
#19 8 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

the center plastic is almost always broken and impossible to find. If it is broke odds are you will never find a replacement. As mentioned earlier the sound can go haywire on DD. I would not pay over $1000 for a nice one.

Same sound board as Black Hole, Mars, Haunted House and several other pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
ArcadeArts
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 89.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 3.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 110.00
Boards
AMCO
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Judge Dredd Translite Out of stock
Pinball Haus
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside