You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2650_INTACK.jpg
IMG_1601 (resized).jpeg
2650_Reset.jpg
run_wait (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Ok, I'm not used to Zac machines yet, and I don't have the gear I used to for testing a non-booting board like this.
Basically, I'm suffering from a Devil Riders that won't boot. If I power it up, it constantly flashes zeros on the displays about every second. Reset line appears to be pulsing at about the same rate. Connecting CN11 pin 8 to 5v can get the reset line to a steady 0.6v, but doing a manual reset doesn't cure anything..... just shuts the displays off completely.
Doesn't respond to a Leon test ROM at all either. Either factory rom or Leon's gives me a steady LED on the MPU board. Doesn't currently have a battery installed, the good news however is there doesn't appear to be any battery corrosion either.
Somebody already went through most of the reset circuit, so looks like this problem has been going on for a while. Nothing I've poked at so far seems to individually be working wrong. But something is causing the reset circuit to keep firing.

Have you checked out David Gersic's website? He's THE zaccaria guy. You're more skilled at this stuff than I am but he describes the reset circuit and power failure circuits at the below link which might help.

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/powersupply.html#PowerFail

#5 4 years ago

Here's an old RGP post where david talks about things in more detail. Perhaps this will help.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/oOPVe6ko3mw

#6 4 years ago

There's also this but I can't find a source for getting David's version of the test rom. I'll contact him as I'm going to need it in the near future myself anyway.

http://www.pinrepair.com/zac/manuals/zac_gen2cpu_testdoc.pdf

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Very cool, thank you. If you get that test rom, I'd love a copy.
I've been spending a lot of time digging over the schematic for the MPU board, and most of it makes sense to me now. Unfortuantely, those are also all the areas that aren't my problem. I am suspecting IC4 at the moment however. It does have a bit of a bubble on the top, so may have blown out when somebody was goofing around with the battery. I have some fresh 6514's on the way from Jameco, as well as replacements for IC14 and IC15, though I suspect the latter two are ok.
Eventually I'll tie all my notes together into something readable to put into pinwiki, as it's sitting almost empty.
-Hans

Glad that I could help. Whenever you get to updating your universal display let me know if I can help. I've got one of the first ones you developed. Sticker on the box says v1.0 code. I didn't realize when I ordered it that you only supported Williams games so far. Out of all the games my brother and I own we only have 1 digit display williams. We have a whole slew of Zaccaria gen2 games, a couple stern's and some bally's though.

Not sure I have a way to reprogram the board (I assume the unpopulated header on the right side is a programming header?). Let me know what I might need for that. If it's not too expensive I'm open to getting whatever it is I need.

#12 4 years ago

I don't currently have access to a board to look at unfortunately but looking at the data sheet says "Run/Wait - Informs external circuits as to the run/wait status of the 2650 processor". This would likely not be used right?

#14 4 years ago

Here's the part on Run/Wait. TLDR it should be high while the processor is running instructions.

In case you missed it there's a section on david's page for datasheets for everything.
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/datasheets/index.html

Unfortunately for some reason he said he's not releasing his test rom so we're stuck with the Leon one for now it seems.

run_wait (resized).pngrun_wait (resized).png
#16 4 years ago

Oh i forgot to ask. What oscilloscope did you get? I'll probably be getting something to replace the dinosaur i currently use. (It's a tektronics 468 or something. Super old).

#18 4 years ago

I'm considering getting the Rigol DS1054Z in the future. It's 50mhz but you can software mod it to enable 100mhz. Not that I need that for pinball stuff probably. Mostly because it has 4 channels and there have been a couple times where I wish I could watch 3 things.

#31 4 years ago

does yours use BC548's? that's what TR3 is so should probably use those in place of the 3081.

#46 4 years ago

That is an awful lot of bad chips

#54 4 years ago

Did you get the flippers sorted out? There are 2 fuses on the bottom of the playfield for the flippers (maybe 1 for flippers and 1 for something else? i can't remember). But there's also a relay under there for the flippers. Hopefully the relay is still good.

#56 4 years ago

Unfortunately my devil riders is currently folded up. I may set it up here in the near future and if I do I'll take a look at things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/devil-riders-non-booting-cpu-problem?tu=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.