(Topic ID: 78393)

Detecting short in new Star Trek machine?

By GoDFaDDa

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GoDFaDDa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flasher short.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a new Star Trek LE machine, and after a couple weeks of moderate daily play, suddenly (during the middle of the game) none of the coils responded. The first one we noticed was the pop bumpers, but none of the other coils in the game fired. The game wasn't complaining, and on reboot, there was no warning or diagnostic report.

I took off the backglass and saw that F8 fuse was out. I figured it was a crappy fuse and replaced it. The instant I turned the machine back on, the fuse blew again. Okay, I figure I'm dealing with a short. I visually inspect the top and bottom of the machine, and nothing stands out, no smells, nothing apparently burnt or metal bits touching, etc.

I'm a decent hand at fixing problems, but I'm not great at finding problems (that I can't immediately see) with a multimeter. How should I go about finding the short?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

I had a similar problem. Don't remember the exact fuse and I'm away from home so I can't check, but it sounds familiar. After disconnecting different connectors, we (Stern support and I) narrowed it down to the one connector that controlled the flashers. I removed the individual flashers on this branch and found that one of the flasher 'nubs' had melted and shorted to its barrel. On my machine, it was the bulb underneath the Vengeance ship.

flasher short.jpgflasher short.jpg

Unfortunately, after fixing the bulb, it remained on constantly (FET shorted on). Stern was great, however - sent new board, new flasher bulb, and a bunch of replacement fuses. I just removed the bulb until the replacements arrived so I could continue playing.

Good luck.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks! Do you remember how you went about narrowing it down?

#4 10 years ago

So when you put in a new f8 and power on the game, does a coil lock on or a flasher lock on? Something like this often happens before the fuse blows.

You should also disconnect the connectors on the board to the coils that don't work. Replace the fuse and power up with them removed. Does the fuse still blow? If so, problem is in the board. If fuse doesn't still blow like this, I would test each pin on the disconnected connector with the DMM and see if one is shorted to ground.

#5 10 years ago

I just checked and I believe my fuse issue was F10. When I was diagnosing the problem, I grabbed a few fuses and called Stern support. Just like markmon suggested, they walked me through what connectors were fed from that fuse and we disconnected them and added them in one by one until the fuse blew. We then checked the resistance for each pin on that connector to find which one was shorted. Pulled out the bulbs to see if it was a wiring or bulb problem and saw the shorted socket connection.

If you're ok with reading the wiring diagrams, you can trace this out on your own - otherwise, Stern support was patient in walking me through it.

#6 10 years ago

As far as I can tell, none of the coils work when F8 is blown. There is no lock-on that I can detect; the fuse blows the instant there's power.

I have contacted Stern support, but I'd like to be able to investigate this kind of thing myself, too.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/detecting-short-in-new-star-trek-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.