Detect running game?

By magsimoe

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Is there a way to detect whenever a game is running? A signal that is high or low only from when you hit start all the way until it's game over.

The pinball in question is a Viper Night Drivin.

Trying to have my arduino detect if someone is playing.

Thanks,
Magnus

#2 11 years ago

Could you hook it up to monitor flipper button activity?

#3 11 years ago

Thing is, I'm gonna hook this game up to an arduino and a webcam. Enabling us all at the office to play from our computers over the intranet. But I need to know when a game is being played so I can prevent others from interfering. And also make some kind of queue system so that when the current players game is over, he cant play again and the next in queue is allowed to play.

All the buttons are wired up and everything works perfectly except everyone can control the game at any time.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from magsimoe:

Thing is, I'm gonna hook this game up to an arduino and a webcam. Enabling us all at the office to play from our computers over the intranet. But I need to know when a game is being played so I can prevent others from interfering. And also make some kind of queue system so that when the current players game is over, he cant play again and the next in queue is allowed to play.
All the buttons are wired up and everything works perfectly except everyone can control the game at any time.

that is ambitious.. reminds me of this but the next level..

#5 11 years ago

PING 192.168.1.73 (192.168.1.73) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.73: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=8.30 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.73: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=7.08 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.73: icmp_seq=3 ttl=128 time=1.00 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.73: icmp_seq=4 ttl=128 time=5.26 ms

...and these two are sitting on the same desk. If you think Farscape flippers are laggy, running webcam video over even a local network would have to be maddening.

#6 11 years ago

The only way to do this is to have a closed-circuit video and serial control system that does not utilize a LAN.

#7 11 years ago

Can you wire it to detect if it is in attract mode or not?

#8 11 years ago

Do it to the power of the coils.

The pop bumpers or flippers will not have high power if the game is not running. Tap a relay off it and you have a low voltage signal.

#9 11 years ago

Off the top of my head I'd say to key off a switch in the ball trough. If there are multiple balls in the trough, key off of the last switch.

That wont solve the problem of stealing the game in the middle when you drain the ball, but it will stop mid-game stealing.

#10 11 years ago

Why not tie into the start button. Make it discrete 1 or 0. At the same time have a second line keep count of how many times the drain hole switch is activated.

If startBtn = 1
No go
If drainHole switch == 3 (or 5)
startBtn = 0

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from dlbuller:

Why not tie into the start button. Make it discrete 1 or 0. At the same time have a second line keep count of how many times the drain hole switch is activated.
If startBtn = 1
No go
If drainHole switch == 3 (or 5)
startBtn = 0

Several problems with that. What if the start button is pressed more than once in a game? What about ball saves/ball searches? What about multiplayer and entering initials? The best way to really see if a game is running is to tie in to the logic that enables the flippers. On pre-fliptronics games you can monitor the state of the flipper relay. On fliptronics you can intercept communications between the CPU board and fliptronics board (this will of course require a little reverse engineering).

#12 11 years ago

So what if its pressed more than once. Does nothing. But yeah forgot about ball saves/searches. I guess I didn't know how deep he was going into it. Was trying to make it quick and dirty. I suppose you could tie it to any active switch and force a waiting time. If no switches are activated, then the person could play. Wouldn't solve multiplayer or be the best solution.

#13 11 years ago

I suppose also you could define in your web app or however you are interfacing over the Internet the number of players and force a login. If somebody is logged in, nobody else can play depending on player number.

#14 11 years ago

You could attach a magnetic probe to a coil.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Do it to the power of the coils.
The pop bumpers or flippers will not have high power if the game is not running. Tap a relay off it and you have a low voltage signal.

Good idea, this should work.

#16 11 years ago

You could sense the 'game over" or "insert coin" bulb too on many games.

#17 11 years ago

I think the easiest missed...use the coin return lock solenoid. Wire a relay in parallel. Done. Assuming of course there is one on this game.

#18 11 years ago

castlesteve and vid1900 and best is robertmee as its simple as pie (great ideas here)

#19 11 years ago

Thanks guys, for all the ideas.
I will try them out and see what works. The ideal thing would be to find a TTL signal on the cpu board that doesn't need to be converted in any way, but I've been looking through the schematics for several hours without any luck. My electronic skills just aren't that good I guess. hehe.

I will let you all know how my project turns out and perhaps even post a link to the game. Though the latency will most likely render it not playable over the internet.

Thanks again.
Magnus

#20 11 years ago

I never really captured why you would do this... but yea the many stages of video buffering, packet buffering and playback streaming will make this unplayable. I bet there's a 3 second lag at least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/detect-running-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.