- (resized).jpg
dwarf (resized).jpg
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg
hobbit_mode_balls_locked (resized).jpg
15313521856913595982898169067775 (resized).jpg
hobbit_download_screenshot (resized).jpg
IMG_2897 (resized).JPG
bb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Still don’t see how code can save a pin with such few satisfying shots but happy for those who still own it. Software updates are always a wonderful thing!

The Hobbit is a great pin. The code update is certainly welcome as JJP continues to provide amazing substantial updates to their already stellar coded games. This will give the hobbit its final wizard mode and other updates to improve the game based on feedback and where JJP wants the code to go. I have played all the latest sterns (metallica to maiden, GOT to Guardians, Star Wars, Ghostbusters and Aerosmith). I played all of those in the last week locally. As I played each one I was thinking 'These are cool, but no way would I rather have this over my hobbit' - fact.

So go ahead a trash the game ever chance you can - even in the code update thread. I know where your thoughts are on the game - you tell us EVERY TIME you get the chance.

#57 5 years ago

It is no by default (after the update) correct?

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Beowulfz07:

Just to clarify, that the setting for preventing beast MB with Smaug MB defaults to NO which means the MB’s CAN run together. So you need to enable this to stop it. So the description is correct.
I could write an essay on all the new things that I love, so will just say that the update is simply stunning with my absolute favourites being a load more Smaug speech, the journal, high score tables and tracking, map clarity, lighting and Arkenstone modes.
The only thing I miss is the Multiball Callout for Smaug MB where it used to shouted but now is spoken the same as other MB modes, so that’s the only criticism I have and that’s constructive lol
Enjoy your weekend coz I certainly will

I agree, I prefer the original Smaug multiball Gandalf intro shoutout over the casual one that is weaker in this build

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

It is also the original title of the third movie.
I mentioned to Keith yesterday that it (slightly) irked me that he named the mode "There and Back Again", but I conceded that it sounds better than "Homeward Bound", which is the chapter name from "The Lord of the Rings". I also pointed out that the only mention of "There and Back Again" in "The Lord of the Rings" is in the Preface where it is referenced as an alternate name for "The Hobbit" book. Keith countered that in the movie, Frodo looks at the book and reads the title when he is reminiscing with Billbo at Rivendell.
Anyway, "There and Back Again" also sounds better than "The Journey Home", which is the chapter name from "The Hobbit", so there you go.
--Ted

I think it is fine...I always thought "there and back again" was Bilbo's story, and not Frodo's

#160 5 years ago

This is controlled by the Book Mode Difficulty adjustment.
1 = all qualifiers always lit (super mega easy)
2 = all qualifiers lit at ball start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
3 = one qualifier always lit, mode start removes affected qualifiers
4 = (default) one qualifier added at ball start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
5 = no qualifiers lit at game start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
6 = no qualifiers lit at game start, mode start removes all qualifiers
7 = no qualifiers lit at ball start, mode start removes all qualifiers
--Ted

good info! I have had the game two years and I am still learning things about this game.

#253 5 years ago

Item #2 is already in the works. I'm just trying to decide how to place them on the screen.
--Ted
P.S. Reminder that I'm keeping tabs on things here: Hobbit software 2.95+ discussion.

Perhaps just have a picture of 1 ball and the lock number. Or just do the Mode Lock: +X text at the top.

EDIT: Actually, I like the mode qualifiers area the way it is now to be honest (nice and clean). I would hate to layer stuff over that too much. How about putting the +X on the Hex icon. So you will see what mode you are going to start, and how many balls it will add?

Example:
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpghobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg

You will know in the code which mode is next so you can overlay the +X screen location (position) on the screen based on that (instead of a static location).
You can also make it shimmer, glow, or throb, or something like that to up the cool factor to match the rest of the display visuals. Also you can hide the +X and wait a second before showing it again if the player is turning the book pages so they can clearly see the icon while choosing the mode.

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

Potential bug report while playing 2.96. While trying to load the windlance for the final Smaug shot, if I shoot up the right ramp with a weak shot that returns back down the left ramp (instead of going all the way around Smaug to the left outlane), the bright white flashing effect still occurs as though I had successfully loaded the windlance and need to ready myself for the final DWARF shot. However, no final shot becomes lit, and I just have to wait a bit for the white flashing to end before making another windlance loading attempt. I don't recall this behavior in the past, but it happened twice today. Perhaps a conflict with the new Portcullis Loop code? ...or maybe this behavior has always been present and I never noticed?
Having a blast playing the new code! Great stuff!

Nice find.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

This bug has been in the code a long time. I don't know if it is an easy fix. It is so minor it might not be worth spending the time on. The mode grid sometimes shows 2 Filis, or 2 Spiders depending on what has been qualified. The images seem to fix themselves if you play one of the 2 modes. Thanks Ted!

Good catch - are you in software QA?

Also, the modes are always in the same hex spot correct?

1 month later
#359 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

So your wife is going to take a laptop in to work just to have the IT guys use it to download the code file from JJP, extract its contents and put it on a USB drive for you to bring home to update your game with?
The IT guys will never let your wife live that down!! LOL

The IT guys will be surprised you can update pinball code via USB. And you may get lucky and find someone at work that is also into pinball

1 week later
#369 5 years ago

Looking forward to the updated drop target report. I would like to know which one the system check failed on. I only get the error after playing a few games and not when I start the machine or even every time

1 month later
#397 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Cool! will install tonight!!
Ted any more tweaks to Smaug/Beast multiballs and book modes clashing? I know you mentioned implementing an option to stop Beast MB from starting. Book modes starting during Smaug MB is the biggest problem as constantly postponing it doesn't work very well at all.
Also I still hope there is scope for expanded portcullis loop scoring, a 1000 points is arbitrary given that this is never intentional. Better to have something to do to gain points after the shot e.g. make flashing shot, hot drop target, etc.

Agree on the 1000 points, that’s too high. I would cut it down to 100 and / or only awarded when not in a mode or a MB

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I wouldn't award any points for the loop as it's a fluke thing to happen. I would have it trigger another timed shot which has it's own reward.

Make it a random flashing ramp or loop shot to cash it in or ring

#413 5 years ago

Good update JJP - cool new effects, lighting, and speech. Love it!

2 weeks later
#428 5 years ago

Ted,

When I qualified for Into The Fire I drained before starting it - CRAP

Anyway, the epic music was playing before the drain - and then of course on my next ball it went back to the 'shire' music. I wonder if you could have it play that awesome Arkenstone qualified call out, the animation on the LCD, and then the resume the epic music after you hit a switch on the plunge. That will get them back into that awesome music again and pumped to start the ark mode.

My 2 cents ...

#432 5 years ago

I love the call out from Thorin when you complete the orbits/map to Eribor ("Welcome to the kingdom of Erebor"). Bad ass

2 months later
#460 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What's going to happen when technology moves on and you can no longer get the necessary USB sticks . I suppose stock up now.

Just hang on to the one you use when you patch it. I just keep mine in the hobbit coin tray area and get it when I need to patch.

Sounds like a good 8GB USB 2 stick is the best to have - get one or two of those and you're good.

2 years later
#470 3 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

It's been a while since there was a code update.
What are people's hopes and dreams if another code update was to come out. For me it would be a mode or benefit for clearing a drop bank X amount of times.
It would be cool to see some progress towards something else once you've qualified the mode similar to how there's cyborg multiball on maiden.

I would like to see the Balin shot added to the skill shots for 50K

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.50
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code?tu=goronic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.