- (resized).jpg
dwarf (resized).jpg
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg
hobbit_mode_balls_locked (resized).jpg
15313521856913595982898169067775 (resized).jpg
hobbit_download_screenshot (resized).jpg
IMG_2897 (resized).JPG
bb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rondogg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Thank you all for your excitement surrounding the upcoming software update.
Here are some screen captures from Status Report that show the details on the Arkenstone weighting ("TIER") for the book modes. I completed "Resurgence of Sauron" to illustrate how that is highlighted.
--Ted

Wow. How are the modes grouped to get an Arkenstone Qualifier?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

There is a ton of denial going on in this thread. Lol

Here are a few quotes from cscmtp from the Hobbit thread:

post #1471
"Anyone on the fence I'd HIGHLY recommend purchasing it. Its my families all time favorite pin after 3-4 weeks of heavy play. Its a ton of fun, built like a tank, amazing light and video show...I know its likely never leaving our lineup."

post #1681
"Man I love this game. Just had my best score to date, 5.5 Million, and after the first ball I finished Into the Fire twice! By the end of the game I had killed smaug and got to Barrel Escape (but did not finish that mode) Such a fun game!"

post #1158
"Just scored 4,238,307 with stock settings. Killed smaug, won 3 extra balls..game took an hour. I'm spent. But LOVE this pin!"

Just your typical run-of-the-mill, hypocritical troll...

#36 5 years ago

During Jersey Jack's seminar last Friday at Pintastic he was specific that 7/7 was the code release date. Plans can change if they find bugs I suppose, but that's what he said.

#93 5 years ago

Love the Journal but I've gotten used to cradling the ball while looking at the screen to see what modes I've played and deciding if I want to hit the left ramp and change the mode. I'm not good enough to watch everything on the screen while playing. Maybe try either:

1. Add a couple of seconds before the Journal Fires up. or...
2. Add a couple of seconds before the Journal Fires up AND group the modes so that it's OBVIOUS which modes feed other modes, maybe show the star ratings and make it easier to go to the next mode in the feeder line.

To be honest, understanding the feeder system is pretty bewildering, especially during the heat of a game. I feel like I have to pause the game and consult a chart. Doesn't help that scores are also tied to where you are on the map. I didn't memorize the movies. At the least I'd like a little more time to view the chart and select a mode by star rating.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I like the flashing ring button and colors, hope you leave it as is. There is too much going on in the game (that's a good thing), I forget about the ring button so the flashing helps me. Just my .02

Agree. I don't even notice the ring button until I want to hit it. 0% distracting.

#98 5 years ago

Also, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to have the ring button flashing when putting in a high score after a good game. Seems empty without it blinking for such a joyous occasion.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

There is a setting to change the delay on when Status Report ("Traveler's Journal") starts and how long it stays on each page. Also, you can change the pages by holding one flipper button and flipping the other. At the end, you can flip again to start it back up as long as you don't release the other button.
I'm not sure how to address having to study things carefully. Maybe print out the screen shots I provided and use them for reference? The Book Modes are listed in map order. Also, once you study the feeder system, you'll see that earlier modes feed into later modes (speaking in terms of movie order).
--Ted

Thanks, didn't realize that was in the settings! And thanks for the update. Overall it's amazing. The only reason I even know about the feeder system is because a Pinsider took a lot of effort to map it out. I can't imagine someone not on Pinside figuring it out through gameplay. I really love the concept and depth, and the modes are awesome and immersive. I jut wish it was easier to figure out during the heat of battle (like when you start a mode during one of the multiballs).

Anyway, I'll keep playing and looking for bugs.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Love the new code so far, and looks like a good number of small issues I've seen are going to be addressed for the next update. I did have a question about Smaug's head movement though. It seems erratic during Smaug MB. The first Smaug MB I started his head didn't move at all, though it did during each ball lock, and he was talking throughout. The second MB I started his head was moving but wasn't tracking the ball properly, seemed reversed of where the ball was hitting targets.
Anyone else seeing weird head movements during Smaug MB? I saw someone else mention that re-running the update fixed some issues.

Game 1 first lock the head didn't move at all
Game 2 first lock the head moved faced me and then returned to the left

Seems the movements are random?

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

One thing that I would eventually like to see and study a bit (maybe after the cleanup and next release) is a flow chart (like the rule sheet flow chart) that shows how the multipliers effect each other - book modes tiers and number completed, map repeats before Arkenstone modes, beast mode "waves", Arkenstone mode levels completed, Smaug Multiball levels completed or number of kills, etc. - all the things that add multipliers to the next level of depth. I know this would be complicated, but it would be good to know and understand the priorities (weighting) for which multipliers have the biggest impact, the smallest impact, and which ones are compounded as you get deeper into the depth of the game. Is the book multiplier weighted the same as the maps completed multiplier? Things like that. Very interesting, but tough to figure it all out from what Ted has told us so far. It might show some reasoning for holding off on starting Arkenstone modes.
Really good stuff ...

This was posted by a dedicated Pinsider a long time ago. No idea how accurate it is, would be awesome if JJP would release an official flowchart. Bear in mind your scores also have a variable based on where you are on the map. Also, you supposedly get an Arkenstone qualifier if you complete a series of modes but I'm not sure what that entails.
bb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpgbb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpg

#111 5 years ago

Another comment. The red lights on the ramps and Radagast hole are overkill. It's already obvious on the main screen if you completed the shot. They aren't necessary and I liked the lights there the way they were.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

This was posted by a dedicated Pinsider a long time ago. No idea how accurate it is, would be awesome if JJP would release an official flowchart. Bear in mind your scores also have a variable based on where you are on the map. Also, you supposedly get an Arkenstone qualifier if you complete a series of modes but I'm not sure what that entails.

Never mind, I see now that the qualifiers are pretty much detailed in the Journal and the modes to get an Arkenstone qualifier are complete Bilbo modes, complete Radagast modes etc, also noted in the Journal. This game is awesome. Thanks Ted and Co.!

#138 5 years ago

Just got all 31 modes, killed Smaug and all 3 wizard modes The two holes flashed white. I rattled the left hole 3 times before draining sdtm.

I did notice that, after completing all the modes for Man, Gandalf and Radagast I got a free Arkenstone completion and an add a ball. No major malfunctions up until then. Lots of chaos getting there. I'm not a great player, this is a lot more attainable than I original thought! Incredible job Ted and Co.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

does the standup target in the right outline (Gollum) do anything ? just curious because from the day I have this game I never seen it be used

I think it adds a ball during multiball when you drain on the right hand side, could be wrong though...

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

- During Smaug MB I'm constantly pressing the ring button to postpone mode, like 3/4 times a minute or more. Its a great option but now quite distracting. Is there a way to give this option a memory, so you press 'postpone mode' once and that lasts until the end of Smaug MB?

Maybe I have a different strategy but I like stacking the modes. Playing a mode (or two) during Smaug MB gets me one step closer to There and Back Again. It's still chaotic but much better than when I was running Smaug/Mode/Beast/Feast at the same time.

I do find myself in Smaug MB a lot more now. Need to use the button to postpone the lock more.

#175 5 years ago

Ted, is there a way to have the mode paused after 5 seconds (or so) of inactivity? Could see people cradling the ball, timing out the modes just to complete them. This was implemented on Star Trek when all the pros were just timing out modes to get to Kobiyashi Wizard mode. Just a thought.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Any associated sound effects are totally noticeable to me (meaning they don't stand out)

*unnoticeable?

#223 5 years ago

"Although in any game I guess you could mindlessly say hit the same ramp over and over again all day long."

So true. Watch pros play Whitewater in a tournament. They make one of the greatest pins out there into a two shot snore fest. Hobbit is now as much an adventure as you want to make it with no two games ever the same.

#248 5 years ago

Seeing all kinds of new things this code is so deep. Saw a light at Radagast and hit the shot it told me I completed the MAN modes and gave me a free Akenstone. Also like the Arkenstone callouts! Master code.
By the way, having trouble going from 2.95 to 2.96. Anyone else? It's just a delta upgrade right?

#258 5 years ago

How you perform in the modes is an XX% multiplier for the Akenstone Wizard mode, right?

Is there a place to see the status of where you are in xx% so that you could take on another mode or two before an Arkenstone wizard mode? Maybe in the Journal somewhere? Just a thought...

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Is there a good strength adjustment for the wind lance? I don’t think so and believe this would be a great addition to the code. As of now, owners are all bending their ball guides to feed the Smaug shot.Could the windlance be better dialed in with coil power? Mine always seems too strong.
Messing around with the kickback strength, it’s almost like it doesn’t save into the game either...
Menu still has the typo of “milliseconds” for units in the strength adjustment for the kickback.

I thought the windlance was supposed to be adaptive, it's not on mine but I thought it was supposed to be...

#276 5 years ago

Duplicate post

2 weeks later
#299 5 years ago

Welcome back.

#301 5 years ago

My Smaug sound has always been fine. 2.96.

2 weeks later
#313 5 years ago

FYI, from 8/16 on the google/jjp thread:

"Joe Katz and I are slowly pecking away at a small list of remaining changes when we can find the time. I don't have an estimate on when we will be finished.
--Ted"

#349 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

I agree, you can't be immersed in the theme if you don't have the assets. Pirates looks cool and is probably going to be fun, but it won't be immersive in the same way The Hobbit is.
Also I swear I can hear some sounds from The Hobbit in PotC, like they re-used a few of the sound files instead of making new ones.

Did I overhear on the Buffalo pinball tournament that PotC was pulled from the tournament because it played too long?

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks a lot guys the wife is going to take it into work and get the i t guys to have a go fingers crossed it all works out thanks a lot

She's going to take the whole machine into work?

1 week later
#368 5 years ago
Quoted from Tjoolder:

Anybody knows when the 3.0 will be available?

It was supposed to be at the beginning of the month, now they seem to be working on something else. Too bad, they are so close to the finish line! Ted says they're still working on it, at least that's a good sign...

1 month later
#391 5 years ago

I kept seeing info for DI and thought we were on the back burner again, NOPE! Thanks Ted and Co! This is awesome news headed into the weekend!

#393 5 years ago

Why wouldn't you just want to change it to Balls in Reserve and leave it at that?

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yup. Streaming on Monday on the twitch feed, testing next week at Expo. Released soon after. This was posted on Pinside recently.
LTG : )

Can't tell you how refreshing it will be to see something other than POTC on the Stream.

#405 5 years ago

Oooh I like that. Hit the shot which is almost always random and be forced to hit the lockbar button before you hit a flipper switch. It happens so fast and your first instinct is to save the ball from a quick drain, what a great risk/reward and totally worth 1000 points!

#406 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Cool! will install tonight!!
Ted any more tweaks to Smaug/Beast multiballs and book modes clashing? I know you mentioned implementing an option to stop Beast MB from starting. Book modes starting during Smaug MB is the biggest problem as constantly postponing it doesn't work very well at all.
Also I still hope there is scope for expanded portcullis loop scoring, a 1000 points is arbitrary given that this is never intentional. Better to have something to do to gain points after the shot e.g. make flashing shot, hot drop target, etc.

For now you could increase the Smaug lock difficulty in game settings. Won't fix it for good, but maybe "good enough".

#417 5 years ago

Just played a long game on the 2.97, 1.7m. Wow. Lots of new callouts and lights. Played all 3 old Wizard modes but was about 9 regular modes from TABA. The only thing odd I noticed was playing Beast Multiball. On my first attempt I got pretty far and heard the awesome "Level 1 complete". I then killed about 15 beasts and never heard any new progress updates. Then it got a little weird. A ball got trapped in the front of the Warg as it was descending. Stayed trapped that way for a minute or so when the Warg raised up and released it. I drained to one ball and the Warg target stayed up with no light on in front of it. Also, the "Load Windlance" light was also lit. I tried to hit the Windlance shot but drained before I could. I did hit the Warg a couple of times but it didn't go down. I thought maybe a beast mech wire had snapped but after the ball the Warg target dropped and the game went back to normal. Played another 30 minutes without an issue that I was aware of.

I could have sworn I killed enough Beasts to get to the 3rd level at least. Who knows, maybe the trapped ball screwed up the Warg and it wouldn't let me complete the level.

Also, Smaug spoke and moved correctly on locks. I will say, like a previous poster, I did have the same incident he did where I locked a ball and Smaug didn't move or make a sound. Maybe once out of every 20-30 games? This was on the 2.96 software.

#422 5 years ago

I have a Google account and it works for me.

2 months later
#452 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

USB 3.0 drives will absolutely not work. Different brands use different drivers, too, and the game doesn’t have every single one loaded. Keep trying - I have about 10 USB drives and only -one- ever seems to work. That’s for JJP games and my Houdini

Kind of reminds me of Revenge from Mars. Thank god I still had an old win95 laptop hanging around or I wouldn't have been able to update the software. This could be a problem in 10 years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rondogg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code?tu=Rondogg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.