- (resized).jpg
dwarf (resized).jpg
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg
hobbit_mode_balls_locked (resized).jpg
15313521856913595982898169067775 (resized).jpg
hobbit_download_screenshot (resized).jpg
IMG_2897 (resized).JPG
bb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpg
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Grace period for restarting a timed out mode is my favorite new feature. It really adds fun trying to restart a mode during the short window before it expires. Currently the insert associated with mode goes dark after mode ends. Problem is there is no indication that mode can be restarted or where to shoot. This is exhilarating now because it is a secret, but if you didn't know the rule, you'd be left in the dark. Suggestion - have the insert light blink during the grace period instead. This gives all players the info they need to know and maybe will create extra excitement for them trying to restart a mode during a short timed period.

Interestingly enough, this isn't a new feature. It's always been there, but not as prominent as it is now with the new callout that alerts you to the added time.

So, grace periods feel good because you get to do something after the mode appears to end. End = music changes, display changes, lights go out. If I were to light the "TIME" lamp on the ramp during grace, then I'd have to add ANOTHER grace period after turning it off. Otherwise we'd back where we started: "Darn it! I made that shot just as the light turned off and the game didn't give it to me."

Quoted from finman2000:

I have a suggestion I hope you will consider. Many times I have triggered the "extra ball by hitting the roaming target" feature while locking a ball or starting smaug multiball. Would it be possible to pause the roaming target when this occurs? Currently, you lose a lot of time waiting for the ball to return to the flipper from the lock.

I've added this to the list of things to investigate.

--Ted

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Seeing all kinds of new things this code is so deep. Saw a light at Radagast and hit the shot it told me I completed the MAN modes and gave me a free Akenstone. Also like the Arkenstone callouts! Master code.
By the way, having trouble going from 2.95 to 2.96. Anyone else? It's just a delta upgrade right?

Very cool! I'm so glad that option was added as it provides more incentive for beating multiple modes as well as provides another path to Arkenstone mode attempts versus having to repeat the normal qualifier.

One thing I'm curious about is say 3 Arkenstone mode attempts have been made (so all 3 in order), none of them are completed and you start a 4th attempt. At that point do you go back to the 1st Arkenstone mode (Into the Fire) where you last left off, do you start it over from the beginning, or can you choose any of the 3 Arkenstone modes at that point? I agree 100% with JJP that the Arkenstone modes should be played in order as you are building upon the major events of the trilogy. It would be cool though to have the option to select which Arkenstone mode you want to play after a 3rd attempt has been made as at that point all 3 would have been played once.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Item #2 is already in the works. I'm just trying to decide how to place them on the screen.
--Ted
P.S. Reminder that I'm keeping tabs on things here: Hobbit software 2.95+ discussion.

Perhaps just have a picture of 1 ball and the lock number. Or just do the Mode Lock: +X text at the top.

EDIT: Actually, I like the mode qualifiers area the way it is now to be honest (nice and clean). I would hate to layer stuff over that too much. How about putting the +X on the Hex icon. So you will see what mode you are going to start, and how many balls it will add?

Example:
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpghobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg

You will know in the code which mode is next so you can overlay the +X screen location (position) on the screen based on that (instead of a static location).
You can also make it shimmer, glow, or throb, or something like that to up the cool factor to match the rest of the display visuals. Also you can hide the +X and wait a second before showing it again if the player is turning the book pages so they can clearly see the icon while choosing the mode.

#254 5 years ago

Potential bug report while playing 2.96. While trying to load the windlance for the final Smaug shot, if I shoot up the right ramp with a weak shot that returns back down the left ramp (instead of going all the way around Smaug to the left outlane), the bright white flashing effect still occurs as though I had successfully loaded the windlance and need to ready myself for the final DWARF shot. However, no final shot becomes lit, and I just have to wait a bit for the white flashing to end before making another windlance loading attempt. I don't recall this behavior in the past, but it happened twice today. Perhaps a conflict with the new Portcullis Loop code? ...or maybe this behavior has always been present and I never noticed?

Having a blast playing the new code! Great stuff!

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

Potential bug report while playing 2.96. While trying to load the windlance for the final Smaug shot, if I shoot up the right ramp with a weak shot that returns back down the left ramp (instead of going all the way around Smaug to the left outlane), the bright white flashing effect still occurs as though I had successfully loaded the windlance and need to ready myself for the final DWARF shot. However, no final shot becomes lit, and I just have to wait a bit for the white flashing to end before making another windlance loading attempt. I don't recall this behavior in the past, but it happened twice today. Perhaps a conflict with the new Portcullis Loop code? ...or maybe this behavior has always been present and I never noticed?

Nice find.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Could use some meaningful call outs to guide us during Smaug mulitballs and mini wizard modes. Its pretty chaotic and having a spotter or game call outs helps out a lot.

For real? What do you find confusing shouts smaug Multiball? All the flicking fire lit inserts are jackpots. Shoot them. The inserts are so meaningful and specific on this game, just looking at the Playfield tells you what to do.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For real? What do you find confusing shouts smaug Multiball? All the flicking fire lit inserts are jackpots. Shoot them. The inserts are so meaningful and specific on this game, just looking at the Playfield tells you what to do.

My thinking was mostly about the tiers as you make your way up them and the game shots change a bit.
The player might be notified of the changes when they happen to adjust your shooting.
Or announce that you made it to tier 1,2,3 etc.

#258 5 years ago

How you perform in the modes is an XX% multiplier for the Akenstone Wizard mode, right?

Is there a place to see the status of where you are in xx% so that you could take on another mode or two before an Arkenstone wizard mode? Maybe in the Journal somewhere? Just a thought...

#259 5 years ago

Maybe someone already found this bug but here goes.
Currently running 2.95.
Was Playing the third ball.
Off the top flipper hit the ball into one of the dwarf stand ups and all the sound immediately went off and didn’t come back on.
Turned the game off once the ball drained and Smaug lit the playfiled on fire.
Haven’t turned game back on yet.
Was gonna download 2.96 first and load that unless Ted or anyone at JJP would like me to try and recreate the loss of sound experience.
-Ran

#260 5 years ago

My thinking was mostly about the tiers as you make your way up them and the game shots change a bit.
The player might be notified of the changes when they happen to adjust your shooting.
Or announce that you made it to tier 1,2,3 etc.

I dunno, this game has so much stuff in it, do we need any more handholding elements like that? It’s fine. Every game ever has lit inserts during modes or multi balls - and that’s how you know what to shoot for. Hobbit is clearer than most games in that respect due to the intuitive color coding.

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

I haven't looked at this yet, but this is likely caused by the change I made to have a looping ramp shot count as a jackpot. It's probably also counting the looping shot as a "load the Windlance" shot. I'll dig into it. Thanks for the report.
--Ted

#262 5 years ago

This bug has been in the code a long time. I don't know if it is an easy fix. It is so minor it might not be worth spending the time on. The mode grid sometimes shows 2 Filis, or 2 Spiders depending on what has been qualified. The images seem to fix themselves if you play one of the 2 modes. Thanks Ted!

dwarf (resized).jpgdwarf (resized).jpg
#263 5 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

This bug has been in the code a long time. I don't know if it is an easy fix. It is so minor it might not be worth spending the time on. The mode grid sometimes shows 2 Filis, or 2 Spiders depending on what has been qualified. The images seem to fix themselves if you play one of the 2 modes. Thanks Ted!

I wonder why no one in the office here noticed that before. Straightforward fix. Thanks for the report!
--Ted

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Good catch - are you in software QA?

Also, the modes are always in the same hex spot correct?

#265 5 years ago

I think I might have found a bug in the system settings.
It is about the status report settings "status report start time" and "status report display time".
The Pinball doesn't save the values after being restarted, but changes both values to the last edited entry.

For example, if I first change the "start time" to 5 and then "display time" to 10, after a restart the settings are both 10.
And if I first change "display time" to 10 and then "start time" to 5, after the restart both settings are 5.

I hope I could describe it understandable.

Anyone else with those problems? Or went just something wrong during my last delta upgrade?
All other settings beside those two are saved correct.

- (resized).jpg- (resized).jpg
#266 5 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

I think I might have found a bug in the system settings.
It is about the status report settings "status report start time" and "status report display time".
The Pinball doesn't save the values after being restarted, but changes both values to the last edited entry.
For example, if I first change the "start time" to 5 and then "display time" to 10, after a restart the settings are both 10.
And if I first change "display time" to 10 and then "start time" to 5, after the restart both settings are 5.
I hope I could describe it understandable.
Anyone else with those problems? Or went just something wrong during my last delta upgrade?
All other settings beside those two are saved correct.

Yes, that's a bug. I'll get it fixed. Thanks for the careful description!
--Ted

#267 5 years ago

Hey Ted, real quick question...

Is there any way to get a second attempt at a mode, to basically continue where you left off % wise?

I thought there was but couldn't get a mode to qualify again tonight.

Thanks, Kris

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Good catch - are you in software QA?

Also, the modes are always in the same hex spot correct?

I can't take full credit. I think this is the youtube video that Karl mentions it in. If you want to really learn a lot of Hobbit rules and have patience, this is the one to watch.

Knowing the correct feeder modes to maximize scoring just makes the game that more frustrating for me though. I am no pinball wizard. : )

Karl pointed out the double image in one of these videos, and I have also been playing a lot and noticed it twice in the last few days. Thought I would throw it out there while Ted is killing bugs. Glad to hear it is an easy fix!

#269 5 years ago

Is there a good strength adjustment for the wind lance? I don’t think so and believe this would be a great addition to the code. As of now, owners are all bending their ball guides to feed the Smaug shot.Could the windlance be better dialed in with coil power? Mine always seems too strong.

Messing around with the kickback strength, it’s almost like it doesn’t save into the game either...

Menu still has the typo of “milliseconds” for units in the strength adjustment for the kickback.

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Is there a good strength adjustment for the wind lance? I don’t think so and believe this would be a great addition to the code. As of now, owners are all bending their ball guides to feed the Smaug shot.Could the windlance be better dialed in with coil power? Mine always seems too strong.
Messing around with the kickback strength, it’s almost like it doesn’t save into the game either...
Menu still has the typo of “milliseconds” for units in the strength adjustment for the kickback.

I thought the windlance was supposed to be adaptive, it's not on mine but I thought it was supposed to be...

#271 5 years ago

We know it can fire at different strengths, as sometimes you select it mid game to make a shot at the MAN targets with the power meter. It just doesn’t seem to be adjustable from the menu. I’ve had to do plenty of physical adjustments to make the third flipper shot regularly. It often bricks off a rubber vuk post at the radagast hole.

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I've changed the firing for Smaug MB, mode start, and "Flashback" to honor the Kickback Strength adjustment setting. I've also changed to description of that setting to clarify that it is "firing time in milliseconds". Changes will be in the next update.

--Ted

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

We know it can fire at different strengths, as sometimes you select it mid game to make a shot at the MAN targets with the power meter. It just doesn’t seem to be adjustable from the menu. I’ve had to do plenty of physical adjustments to make the third flipper shot regularly. It often bricks off a rubber vuk post at the radagast hole.

Adjust the metal lane guide a little at the end of the windlance lane.
Loosen the last screw and move the metal wall until you get the desired result.

A flat blade screwdriver wedged between the screw head and metal wall does wonders.

After loosening the screw slightly of course.

A little is a lot.

#274 5 years ago

First recording of there and back again possibly.

brought to you by your truly and Chuck Wurt with SDTM pinball

#275 5 years ago

I've changed the firing for Smaug MB, mode start, and "Flashback" to honor the Kickback Strength adjustment setting. I've also changed to description of that setting to clarify that it is "firing time in milliseconds". Changes will be in the next update.
--Ted

That’s great and was really my only concern regarding my game. I really can’t say enough good about the work you guys are doing.
Yours truly,
Self proclaimed JJP fanboy

#276 5 years ago

Duplicate post

#277 5 years ago

Just had another nice game, fantastic machine !
There is one thing, I always thoght about. As I’m a big fan of the nice attrack mode, when Smaug comes to burn the town and the Playfield starts to light like flames from the right to the left, couldn’t it be a bit slower to increase this effect ? I always thought it is a bit to fast.

Just my 2 cents....

#278 5 years ago

It's timed precisely with the music fade-out, which is a pretty standard amount of time. That's why it does what it does.

#279 5 years ago

It’s one of the best endings in all of pinball imho. Don’t change a thing!

#280 5 years ago

Joined the camp of people that think when you are ready to start a mini wizard mode, you should have option of which one. Also your progress should be saved (last completed level) and you should be able to select mode again the next time it is qualified.

This adds maximum flexibility in the rules and turns this game into one where there is a user controlled feature (which habitrail ball will exit from mode lock) and interactive mini wizard modes (use flippers to select which one and use ring button to start). Game rule could also have option of having to start / or to beat all three mini wizard modes to start the wizard mode. In that case, mini wizard insert would not light solid after unsuccessful completion.

These changes would excite me as an owner because I can open the coin door and try out various setups. Start modes or have to complete them. Play each mini wizard once in order or in any order I want and I have to complete it. As a player I like options and this one would allow me to play the game and bring in new strategies.

Ted and JJP please consider adding three adjustments in menu. One option to allow mini wizard modes to play in any order or same fixed order. Another option to allow mini wizard mode to be replayed. Finally one for Wizard mode starting after 3 mini wizard modes were started or after they were completed.

#281 5 years ago

Rudy's down at Tilt Pinball Bar with some morning streaming of the new Hobbit code! Check it out: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#282 5 years ago

Played all three mini wizard modes last night, then how do I get wizard mode? No instructions, sounds or anything. So I continue playing to complete my fourth cycle and hoping that is it. Drained the ball and didn't complete level four or start wizard mode. That choreography was off and I didn't like the idea of having to complete everything a forth time. Should have been able to shoot a shot to start Wizard mode.

#283 5 years ago

Played all three mini wizard modes last night, then how do I get wizard mode? No instructions, sounds or anything. So I continue playing to complete my fourth cycle and hoping that is it. Drained the ball and didn't complete level four or start wizard mode. That choreography was off and I didn't like the idea of having to complete everything a forth time. Should have been able to shoot a shot to start Wizard mode.

Are you talking about There and Back Again? You get that wizard mode from getting through all 31 modes. Nothing to do with the other three “mini” wizard modes. Don’t believe there is wizard mode after Battle of Five armies
- or was ever any discussion of adding one, but I could be wrong.

1 week later
#284 5 years ago

The manual has now been updated and is available for download:

http://159.203.76.48/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_2%20July%202018.pdf

#285 5 years ago

Joined the camp of people that think when you are ready to start a mini wizard mode, you should have option of which one. Also your progress should be saved (last completed level) and you should be able to select mode again the next time it is qualified.
This adds maximum flexibility in the rules and turns this game into one where there is a user controlled feature (which habitrail ball will exit from mode lock) and interactive mini wizard modes (use flippers to select which one and use ring button to start). Game rule could also have option of having to start / or to beat all three mini wizard modes to start the wizard mode. In that case, mini wizard insert would not light solid after unsuccessful completion.
These changes would excite me as an owner because I can open the coin door and try out various setups. Start modes or have to complete them. Play each mini wizard once in order or in any order I want and I have to complete it. As a player I like options and this one would allow me to play the game and bring in new strategies.
Ted and JJP please consider adding three adjustments in menu. One option to allow mini wizard modes to play in any order or same fixed order. Another option to allow mini wizard mode to be replayed. Finally one for Wizard mode starting after 3 mini wizard modes were started or after they were completed.

I couldn't agree more about the mini wizard modes and hope that JJP reconsiders this. Removing linearity and giving the player more choices is always a good thing.

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from badblackz:

I couldn't agree more about the mini wizard modes and hope that JJP reconsiders this. Removing linearity and giving the player more choices is always a good thing.

If Ted made three rule changes TH would rock

1) add player select mini-wizard mode. Where a player controls his own destiny throughout the game and would be able to pick his mini-wizard mode. Most games of TH, especially in completion, are not having average players making one mini-wizard every game. So when they get there, why not reward them with a choice? They still need to start/complete(?) the other two min-wizards.

2) add option to save mini-wizard modes progress. A completed mode would stay completed, but incomplete modes would save last percent complete.

3) add option to allow incomplete modes to be restarted with saved progress.

#287 5 years ago

If Ted added this one rule change - player select mini-wizard mode, then a player would control his own destiny during the whole game and would pick the mini-wizard he plays. Most games of TH, especially in completion, are not having average players making one mini-wizard every game. So when they get there, why not reward them with a choice? Theynstill need to start/complete(?) the other two min-wizards.

It sounds like Ted and the team really want to have them played in order and I can understand that. Playing the Arkenstone modes in order follows the trilogies story. However, should the modes be played in order? Do we have to play the book modes in order from movie 1 to movie 3? Do you have to play the mini wizard modes in POTC in order? Do you have to play Return of the King, Fellowship of the Ring, and Two Towers muiltiball in LOTR in order? No, you have a choice in all 3 of those situations. It would be nice to have the option to select a mini wizard mode when one has reached.

When an Arkenstone mode is lit it could be really cool to have a large animation appear on the main LCD showing the icons of the 3 Arkenstone modes with the text "Choose an Arkenstone Mode". When you press the flippers it selects between them giving off a lit insert affect as each one is selected.

I see the big 2.95 - 3.0 updates add a lot of choice to the game. It would be cool to see the game make the last step and allow any of the 3 Arkenstone modes to be selected. If JJP is really set in stone on not offering this at least give players the option to select an Arkenstone mode after all 3 are played at least once in order. That would be a compromise then

#288 5 years ago

It would be good to save one's progress in the mini wizard modes at least until they were completed.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It sounds like Ted and the team really want to have them played in order and I can understand that. Playing the Arkenstone modes in order follows the trilogies story. However, should the modes be played in order? Do we have to play the book modes in order from movie 1 to movie 3? Do you have to play the mini wizard modes in POTC in order? Do you have to play Return of the King, Fellowship of the Ring, and Two Towers muiltiball in LOTR in order? No, you have a choice in all 3 of those situations. It would be nice to have the option to select a mini wizard mode when one has reached.
When an Arkenstone mode is lit it could be really cool to have a large animation appear on the main LCD showing the icons of the 3 Arkenstone modes with the text "Choose an Arkenstone Mode". When you press the flippers it selects between them giving off a lit insert affect as each one is selected.

It would be good to save one's progress in the mini wizard modes at least until they were completed.

Right On! Right On! Right On! Guys that's moving things in a righteous direction. And if you don't finish, the insert becomes unlit and progress is saved for next attempt. If you don't want to be able to replay mini-wizard modes, select no wizard replay in the menu and the insert would stay lit solid after draining to a single ball. It is really an important change too, because now it opens up having a strategy where there wasn't one before. There is no thinking involved with playing the 3 mini-wizard modes in order. Especially if you find yourself playing ITF 80% of the time BE 15% of the time and Bot5A 5% of the time when you want to play more of the others. Doing these take code into a new dimension and separate JJP from its peers. Come on JJP make TH legendary ...

Think about this. Player starts game. He decides which targets to drop and to qualify which modes. He decides how many balls to lock for modes. He decides which mode to start and He starts the mode. He decides when to lock balls and He decides when to start Smaug multiball. He decides whether to complete all arkenstones. His mini-wizard mode is ready to start. Should he now play the next mini-wizard mode in sequential order? HE!! NO! Rather he should make his own selection and follow his own destiny, as he has in every step of the game. In light of the fact there is no super wizard mode, it makes this issue more important that the player be able to create his own way ... and to have that promised adventure.

What JJP, American Pinball, CGC and Stern are doing in pinball programming these days is making software and game code and now videos the best they have ever been. They are breaking new ground weekly and setting the bar higher. Who has the top programmers? I'll sit back and watch and quarterback.

When I look at game specific settings in TH (assuming they add the last three changes) and look at the level of their general game settings and my understanding that playing TH is entirely my prerogative.... I see "JJP has created the World's First - 100% User Controllable Pinball Experience Under Glass (assuming player has access to coindoor). Why this is so important is that it signals the World's First Mass Produced Customized Pinball Game that is 100% Configurable to User Settings. When I plunge the ball I also make all my choices. Now that kind of stuff is scary good!

When JJP 1) adds a camera option 2) connects TH to online and 3) adds rules like for Dialed-In to allow one to start and play TH remotely ... theyll will have created something.

#290 5 years ago

Have been enjoying recent attention given to TH code and the changes. Three requested rule changes and final punch list are the only things keeping TH from self launching into deep space imo. I'd nominate TH for Most Improved Game category in the 2018 TWIPPY's. Would like to see how TH code changes stack up against others given big updates - KISS, BM66 and GOTG.

#291 5 years ago

Hi just got my Hobbit Black Arrow Edition tonight. I'm getting a test report saying "Dragon Head: Problem detected with movement." It seems to move all the way to the left, but not all the way to the right - getting stuck and sort of "vibrating" or "shaking" a bit and not going the rest of the way.

When I searched this problem on Pinside I saw it mentioned here. Any tips on fixing it?

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Any tips on fixing it?

Check that nothing around Smaug's head is impeding the rotation of him.

Then check below the playfield for anything else obvious.

LTG : )

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Hi just got my Hobbit Black Arrow Edition tonight. I'm getting a test report saying "Dragon Head: Problem detected with movement." It seems to move all the way to the left, but not all the way to the right - getting stuck and sort of "vibrating" or "shaking" a bit and not going the rest of the way.
When I searched this problem on Pinside I saw it mentioned here. Any tips on fixing it?

I had an issue very quickly after we got our Hobbit with something that was similar. On my machine the cable that goes up to the servo that acuates smaug's jaw was getting pinched within the smaug mech. I had to totally remove it and manipulate the wire to get it to operate well.

The way I could tell it was binding was to manually rotate smaug while the game was off. There are end points so don't force it too far, but when I rotated him in the direction that wasn't proving he felt springy/spongy compared to the other way.

If the wiring is binding I'd deal with JJP tech support- smaug is somewhat delicate.

Good luck.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

I had an issue very quickly after we got our Hobbit with something that was similar. On my machine the cable that goes up to the servo that acuates smaug's jaw was getting pinched within the smaug mech. I had to totally remove it and manipulate the wire to get it to operate well.
The way I could tell it was binding was to manually rotate smaug while the game was off. There are end points so don't force it too far, but when I rotated him in the direction that wasn't proving he felt springy/spongy compared to the other way.
If the wiring is binding I'd deal with JJP tech support- smaug is somewhat delicate.
Good luck.

Gotcha thanks. I figured mine out, the actual Smaug head was grinding against one of the metal pieces on the green tower. I just bent that piece back a little bit so they wouldn't touch each other. Problem solved. Also had a leaf failing to register on the L in L-O-C-K but solved that easily too. So far this one's got easy issues compared to my Iron Maiden.

#295 5 years ago

Hi, just became a pinside member to post a big thank you to the JJP team for creating and improving such great pinball machines like the Hobbit! I love this pin from the first day for its outstanding combination of multimedia and gameplay. It is stunning to see how the update influences my gameplay and strategies instandly - I think I need to narrow the outlanes now
I also have one remark regarding the update 2.96: As I like the clear sounds of the game a lot I am a little bit disappointed about the lower volume and quality (?) of many new welcome and Smaug sayings. It was already mentioned shortly in this thread - but it is so obvious that I wonder why it is not discussed more often. I have changed the default volume settings to amplify the music, maybe this enforces the problem.
In Ted's software discussion document I found the following new entry: "Smaug sometimes doesn't talk/roar when expected. Also some speech is hard to hear: I will dig into this and remedy for the next update." I expect this is addressing the issue - I am writing this just to be sure...

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Hi, just became a pinside member to post a big thank you to the JJP team for creating and improving such great pinball machines like the Hobbit! I love this pin from the first day for its outstanding combination of multimedia and gameplay. It is stunning to see how the update influences my gameplay and strategies instandly - I think I need to narrow the outlanes now
I also have one remark regarding the update 2.96: As I like the clear sounds of the game a lot I am a little bit disappointed about the lower volume and quality (?) of many new welcome and Smaug sayings. It was already mentioned shortly in this thread - but it is so obvious that I wonder why it is not discussed more often. I have changed the default volume settings to amplify the music, maybe this enforces the problem.
In Ted's software discussion document I found the following new entry: "Smaug sometimes doesn't talk/roar when expected. Also some speech is hard to hear: I will dig into this and remedy for the next update." I expect this is addressing the issue - I am writing this just to be sure...

Hi there, have you tries RareHero's settings? They are now the game defaults so maybe you've tried it, if not give them a go:

Music 41
Speech 41
Fanfare 35
FX 25

"Then crank your main volume up...mixed like this, the music will be so much more impressive and vibrant"

#297 5 years ago

OK, thank you. I will try this - but finally there should be no (big) difference between old and new sayings independent from the volume settings.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Yes, I will make a pass at the Smaug speech and adjust the volume on the quieter clips. All of the speech is lifted directly from the movie soundtrack. In the movie, Smaug talks both loudly and softly. The softer ones need to be brought in balance with the louder ones.

--Ted

#299 5 years ago

Welcome back.

#300 5 years ago

Yes, I will make a pass at the Smaug speech and adjust the volume on the quieter clips. All of the speech is lifted directly from the movie soundtrack. In the movie, Smaug talks both loudly and softly. The softer ones need to be brought in balance with the louder ones.
--Ted

check_switch_26 Thank you so much, it is really exciting to be able to communicate with you. Please regard also the volume of the welcome messages (when starting a new game) - some have also quite different volume levels. This may sound a little pedantic, but I am totally addicted to Hobbit's audio and video feedback. Hence, the fix of the "cut-off speech during Gollum Save" is such a relief - I always felt uncomfortable before (especially as the ball was also lost...).

thewool I tried the recommended (now default) volume settings and this in fact enhanced the sound experience! My settings were obviously out of balance (Music too high) - thank you for the hint.

Per

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code/page/6?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.