- (resized).jpg
dwarf (resized).jpg
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg
hobbit_mode_balls_locked (resized).jpg
15313521856913595982898169067775 (resized).jpg
hobbit_download_screenshot (resized).jpg
IMG_2897 (resized).JPG
bb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpg
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 5 years ago

Hey Ted, this isn’t specific to the new code, but I’ve always wondered: there’s a sound effect that sounds like someone is rubbing a balloon - like a squeaky rubber sound. I’ve always wondered - what IS that? LOL. Is it from the movie? I always wished that sound effect would get replaced with something else. I guess this is my chance to make that request.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

However, I have a HUGE complaint about Into the Fire. The epic music on my game appears to be completely gone from the first stage and intermittent on the second stage.

Sounds like you triggered a bug of some sort. I got to Into the Fire twice so far and it has music just like it always did.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I'm not a great player, this is a lot more attainable than I original thought!

wtf? What do you mean you're not a great player? What? Your game is set up at 5 degrees or something?
I find that Hobbit players often say stuff like that. "I killed Smaug 3 times in a single game, but I'm not a great player".

I must be doing something terribly wrong...

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

there’s a sound effect that sounds like someone is rubbing a balloon

Isn't it when LOCK lights up?

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Isn't [the squeaky balloon sound] when LOCK lights up?

We pinpointed it to the "light Windlance" sound on the inlanes.
--Ted

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

We pinpointed it to the "light Windlance" sound on the inlanes.
--Ted

I like that creaking sound.

#157 5 years ago

Have the Gandalf, bilbo,and radagast qualifiers always reset at the start of a new ball or is this new?

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Have the Gandalf, bilbo,and radagast qualifiers always reset at the start of a new ball or is this new?

This is controlled by the Book Mode Difficulty adjustment.

1 = all qualifiers always lit (super mega easy)
2 = all qualifiers lit at ball start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
3 = one qualifier always lit, mode start removes affected qualifiers
4 = (default) one qualifier added at ball start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
5 = no qualifiers lit at game start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
6 = no qualifiers lit at game start, mode start removes all qualifiers
7 = no qualifiers lit at ball start, mode start removes all qualifiers

--Ted

#159 5 years ago

Thanks, Ted! Now that the qualifiers have those red lights, I'm noticing them a lot more. Plus I'm playing more modes than ever.

#160 5 years ago

This is controlled by the Book Mode Difficulty adjustment.
1 = all qualifiers always lit (super mega easy)
2 = all qualifiers lit at ball start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
3 = one qualifier always lit, mode start removes affected qualifiers
4 = (default) one qualifier added at ball start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
5 = no qualifiers lit at game start, mode start removes affected qualifiers
6 = no qualifiers lit at game start, mode start removes all qualifiers
7 = no qualifiers lit at ball start, mode start removes all qualifiers
--Ted

good info! I have had the game two years and I am still learning things about this game.

#161 5 years ago

Since I can no longer edit my post from the weekend, I have started a Google Doc with ongoing updates for The Hobbit software.

I have color coded the items to show their status. (Fixed / Working as intended / Will not address / Might get attention / Will be fixed or changed).

Hobbit 2.95 Software Status

Thanks again for all the feedback, comments, and kind words.

--Ted

#162 5 years ago

I'm very grateful to you Ted, both for your work on the game and for posting here explaining things. Thank you very much.

#163 5 years ago

Since I can no longer edit my post from the weekend, I have started a Google Doc with ongoing updates for The Hobbit software.
I have color coded the items to show their status. (Fixed / Working as intended / Will not address / Might get attention / Will be fixed or changed).
--Ted

Wow. That’s taking code development to a new level. Love the list.

#164 5 years ago

--Ted

Another example of JJP offering the best code support in pinball! Thanks Ted

#166 5 years ago

I can't seem to update from 2.01, what am I doing wrong?

When using my 8GB USB, it says its updating and reboots but still shows version 2.01. Manually restarting the machine makes no difference.

It won't even recognize my 16GB USB.

Any ideas?

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

it says its updating and reboots but still shows version 2.01.

Nothing on your USB stick. Or game not recognizing it.

I'd try a different USB stick.

LTG : )

#168 5 years ago

Nevermind, I was unzipping to the wrong directory.

It must be late . . . . . . too tired to think.

#169 5 years ago

--Ted

My god Ted, you're on the way to an epic mic drop

Thank you for everything! To You, to your Team, to all of JJP, and to Jack!

#170 5 years ago

I don’t think this has been said yet, but thank you check_switch_26 for working through this past weekend and answering all of our questions. It was a holiday weekend and you were gracious enough to take time away from family to respond to us on this forum. Thank you.

#171 5 years ago

Hi Ted, I posted these questions in the Google forum, but just in case you missed it in my long post:

- what does the 'disable mode multiball' option do, just stop add-a-ball for during the modes?

- is there option to 'postpone mode' during Beast MB or 'postpone Beast MB' from starting during a mode, if not please could you investigate adding this?

- During Smaug MB I'm constantly pressing the ring button to postpone mode, like 3/4 times a minute or more. Its a great option but now quite distracting. Is there a way to give this option a memory, so you press 'postpone mode' once and that lasts until the end of Smaug MB?

Cheers for listening Ted!

#172 5 years ago

does the standup target in the right outline (Gollum) do anything ? just curious because from the day I have this game I never seen it be used

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

does the standup target in the right outline (Gollum) do anything ? just curious because from the day I have this game I never seen it be used

I think it adds a ball during multiball when you drain on the right hand side, could be wrong though...

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

- During Smaug MB I'm constantly pressing the ring button to postpone mode, like 3/4 times a minute or more. Its a great option but now quite distracting. Is there a way to give this option a memory, so you press 'postpone mode' once and that lasts until the end of Smaug MB?

Maybe I have a different strategy but I like stacking the modes. Playing a mode (or two) during Smaug MB gets me one step closer to There and Back Again. It's still chaotic but much better than when I was running Smaug/Mode/Beast/Feast at the same time.

I do find myself in Smaug MB a lot more now. Need to use the button to postpone the lock more.

#175 5 years ago

Ted, is there a way to have the mode paused after 5 seconds (or so) of inactivity? Could see people cradling the ball, timing out the modes just to complete them. This was implemented on Star Trek when all the pros were just timing out modes to get to Kobiyashi Wizard mode. Just a thought.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Maybe I have a different strategy but I like stacking the modes. Playing a mode (or two) during Smaug MB gets me one step closer to There and Back Again. It's still chaotic but much better than when I was running Smaug/Mode/Beast/Feast at the same time.
I do find myself in Smaug MB a lot more now. Need to use the button to postpone the lock more.

I think it should be an option. It might help to play more modes, but it's nearly impossible to play the mode well simply because there's already a lot going on in Beast MB. With a postpone option you could let it run and stack or play it standalone. Same principle with the postpone mode option in Smaug MB.

#177 5 years ago

Ted, I know you must be tired of hearing it but ...... THANKYOU !!!
The love and dedication put into this machine is clear on so many levels.
It is a real pleasure to play and the damn thing keeps calling me back for more.
I will never get tired of playing it, a true classic.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

- what does the 'disable mode multiball' option do, just stop add-a-ball for during the modes?

Yes, disables "Sneak In" locks that add balls to the next Book Mode. (Not recommended to turn this ON.)

Quoted from thewool:

- is there option to 'postpone mode' during Beast MB or 'postpone Beast MB' from starting during a mode, if not please could you investigate adding this?

No. I'm am considering adding an adjustment to disable Beast Hurry-Up during a Book Mode. (This is likely to throw off the balance of the game, though.)

Quoted from thewool:

I discussed this with the team, and we won't be changing the current behavior.

Thanks for your comments!
--Ted

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Ted, is there a way to have the mode paused after 5 seconds (or so) of inactivity? Could see people cradling the ball, timing out the modes just to complete them. This was implemented on Star Trek when all the pros were just timing out modes to get to Kobiyashi Wizard mode. Just a thought.

If you time out a mode, you’ve only played it, but haven’t completed it.

Also, only A-holes “play” games by cradling and timing out. Don’t be that guy.

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Ted, is there a way to have the mode paused after 5 seconds (or so) of inactivity? Could see people cradling the ball, timing out the modes just to complete them.

Timers do not pause for inactivity. Feel free to time out the Book Modes to get to "There and Back Again", but you won't get much of a reward. (Same is true for Dialed In and "Armageddon".)
--Ted

#181 5 years ago

I'm am considering adding an adjustment to disable Beast Hurry-Up during a Book Mode. (This is likely to throw off the balance of the game

I see this might throw off the balance. But it would allow for a more concentrated mode approach for those concentrating on finishing the modes.

Maybe put it in as an option in the settings menu.

This would allow people to determine what they want and be able to change it up at will.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:If you time out a mode, you’ve only played it, but haven’t completed it.
Also, only A-holes “play” games by cradling and timing out. Don’t be that guy.

I agree but when you're in a tournament and trying to edge out the win these things happen and make for very long games.

#183 5 years ago

Where is the setting to change the balls left icon (like it was in the steam) and allow the extra balls to be played after everyone's third ball?

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Where is the setting to change the balls left icon (like it was in the steam) and allow the extra balls to be played after everyone's third ball?

Full Menu->Settings->System Settings->Ball Play Type = "BALLS IN RESERVE"

--Ted

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I agree but when you're in a tournament and trying to edge out the win these things happen and make for very long games.

Is Hobbit even used in Tournaments?

Ted just said it wouldn’t be worth it to time your way out to the wiz mode anyway.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

With all of the available adjustments I wouldn't rule it out. We have one on location and it's unofficially banned from regular league play because it plays too long. If I had access to the keys and could set it up hard enough I think any* pin is usable.

* Except Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball and others that give a huge random award Lights...Camera...Action!

#187 5 years ago

Yes, disables "Sneak In" locks that add balls to the next Book Mode. (Not recommended to turn this ON.)

No. I'm am considering adding an adjustment to disable Beast Hurry-Up during a Book Mode. (This is likely to throw off the balance of the game, though.)

I discussed this with the team, and we won't be changing the current behavior.
Thanks for your comments!
--Ted

Cheers Ted! The Beast/mode MB postpone would be the icing on the cake. Hope it makes the cut!

The only reason I suggested the Smaug MB button memory thing is that it seems a bit daft as it is. Why would a player choose to postpone a mode starting during a Smaug battle, then decide to start one. Better just press it once and then crack on killing the Firedrake.

Thinking about it another way... Why does the book qualify so quickly after postponing it. I think you mentioned there a setting which makes the book harder to qualify, would this help?

Thanks!

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ted just said it wouldn’t be worth it to time your way out to the wiz mode anyway.

2017 pinburgh A finals used one. Too bad it had the old rail on the left so no one picked that bank because the balls were rolling off the rail into the outlane.

#189 5 years ago

Ooooh Ted! I forgot to mention, the Super Spinner still has no audio cues for being active/building/cashed in. Maybe the Dwarf horn could be recycled as the active sound now we all know it?

A couple of other nice to haves:

- a skill shot plunge to Balins hole (Keith was considering this at some point)

- a 'sneak in' award for getting the ball in Balins hole, with the DWARF targets still up - during main play.

They could be accompanied by an appropriate Balin quote from the movies such as:

For the plunge - There is one I could follow. There is one I'd call king. Or, It never ceases to amaze me, the courage of Hobbits...

For the sneak in - I’ll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen...

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Ooooh Ted! I forgot to mention, the Super Spinner still has no audio cues for being active/building/cashed in. Maybe the Dwarf horn could be recycled as the active sound now we all know it?
- a 'sneak in' award for getting the ball in Balins hole, with the DWARF targets still up - during main play.
They could be accompanied by an appropriate Balin quote from the movies such as:
For the plunge - There is one I could follow. There is one I'd call king. Or, It never ceases to amaze me, the courage of Hobbits...

Neat suggestion!

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Kinda like, "You cheat! Dr Jones!" On IJ.

YES! It would be a great addition.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Super Spinner has an intro fanfare, and a special sound on the spinners for building the value. There is a sound that's supposed to play for collecting the value on the captive ball, but it is getting overridden by the Captive Ball sound. I'll fix that.

(My plate is full at this point, so I won't be implementing any new rules. There are three other games longing for my attention. )
--Ted

#193 5 years ago

Great code update, thanks!

Does Hobbit have an adjustment where you can only achieve 1 high score per set of initials? I believe WOZ has this.

Rather than having 9 high scores with my initials, I would much rather have my best score so my friends can see their best scores displayed too.

Also, I added a custom photo to the attract screen and am curious how many photos can be added?

Thanks!

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I've changed my assessment:
Seeing that running tests cleared the errors, I decided that it was vibration causing and fixing the errors.
I ran through and refreshed all of the connectors on all of the affected mechs.
Rebooted and no errors.
Went to tests and ran the dragon and drop life tests for 8 mins each.
Rebooted and no errors.
Went through and combed through the harnesses.
Rebooted and no errors.
Turned off the game for 45 minutes.
Rebooted and no errors.
There is no software bug as I reported earlier, I was fooled by loose/oxidized connections. My game has set for a year waiting for updates.
The new testing element is working flawlessly.
It uncovered marginal/weak connections in several areas.
It may be true that it's a bit sensitive, but it works really well.
Other than that minor adjustment to my game, the new code is more dynamic and seriously fun to play now.
Thank you so much!

Errors have returned.
Rebooting a couple times cleared the errors.

This is interesting.

One thing I noticed:

On boot up during initialization, when still in black screen, If the dragon head moves slightly you get all of the errors.

Including a tilt plumb error.

Why the dragon head would slightly move during initial boot up is interesting.
It's like a small power surge during startup.

If the head does not move during initial startup the errors do not appear.

I have a fairly early game.

Has the dragon controller board been updated?

I have about 750 games logged so far. So it's still pretty new.

There is hardly any wear on this game.

#195 5 years ago

(My plate is full at this point, so I won't be implementing any new rules. There are three other games longing for my attention. )

DI, JJPOTC, ... must be starting on the JJP#5 too!

#196 5 years ago

Super Spinner has an intro fanfare, and a special sound on the spinners for building the value. There is a sound that's supposed to play for collecting the value on the captive ball, but it is getting overridden by the Captive Ball sound. I'll fix that.
--Ted

Thanks Ted. I have my sound settings set to the new default levels, and have had the Super Spinner several times since installing the new codes. Any associated sound effects are totally unnoticeable to me (meaning they don't stand out) but it would be interesting to hear what other people think. Did you get get the Gandalf impersonator to do a 'Super Spinner!' callout? That would work so to at least know it's active.

Fair enough on the other suggestions, I know you have a lot on. I'm just grateful the code is being looked as for a while there it was looking pretty bleak. Perhaps these can be added to a 'nice to have' list for future consideration?

Best Regards, Kris.

#197 5 years ago

I hear a different sound when I hit the spinner with super spinner vs a regular shot. I thought it turns super once you complete the map? I guess that is how I've always realized it is on super...either that or the sound or the super spinner insert.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Any associated sound effects are totally noticeable to me (meaning they don't stand out)

*unnoticeable?

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

*unnoticeable?

yes, sorry unnoticeable (fixed my original post )

Crile1 mentions he hears them so I need to check again tonight.

#200 5 years ago

Hobbit version 2.96 has just been posted on www.JerseyJackPinball.com

This addresses a number of the more irksome bugs in 2.95. We can also stop discussing the "Dwarf Horn" now.

--Ted

* Fixed "There and Back Again" scoring bug
* Fixed Arkenstone mode Champ bug
* Modified and added some sound effects
+ Added Arkenstone tier/star value to book display and Arkenstone background
* Changed some Ring Button lamp colors; now blinks during Enter Initials
* Fixed "The Bait" instructions as show on book display
* Fixed Balin and Bilbo arrow lamps updating incorrectly
* Changed "Mirkwood" loop shots to trigger on full loop shoot

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code/page/4?hl=elf70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.