- (resized).jpg
dwarf (resized).jpg
hobbit-image-1 (resized).jpg
hobbit_mode_balls_locked (resized).jpg
15313521856913595982898169067775 (resized).jpg
hobbit_download_screenshot (resized).jpg
IMG_2897 (resized).JPG
bb25ec62ab8fb24c6bc4cb17537a392498a8cb06.png.png (resized).jpg
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 5 years ago

I have installed the new code. Where do you stop beast frenzy from running into Smaug mb? Not seeing it in the settings.

#52 5 years ago

Is it on JJP's website? I was just there and didn't see it.

#53 5 years ago

Software release version 2.95 for The Hobbit is now available.
Download it here: http://159.203.76.48/th/hobbit_update_295.zip
(The Support page will be updated shortly.)

This is a "delta upgrade". Instructions for the delta upgrade procedure can be found here: http://159.203.76.48/general/install-delta/
The upgrade can be installed over version 2.00 and higher.

The change log is below.

Thank you to everyone for your enthusiasm regarding this update.
--Ted

==============================================================================
== Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. ==
== Presents ==
== The Hobbit ==
== http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/ ==
== Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JerseyJackPinball ==
== Support Portal: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com ==
== Company Twitter: @JJPinball ==
== Software Department Twitter: @JJPSoftware ==
== Copyright © 2016-8 Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. ==

Comments, questions, and/or bug reports? Ask @JJPSoftware, which is monitored
and responded by humans.

Issues with your game?
Please open a ticket: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com

== Legend ==

+ Addition * Change/bugfix - Note

== Version 2.95 July 6, 2018 ==

- NOTE: This version is a "delta update" only. Version 3.00 will be released
shortly as an ISO image. Updating to Version 3.00 is necessary when
installing a newer computer motherboard.

=== Game Code

* Fixed several interaction issues with Gollum Save and regular ball saver
+ Added Arkenstone mode champs
* Changed sound channel mixer default volumes to enhance the audio experience
* Delayed Arkenstone "jewel spotted" animations at start of Feast Frenzy, Beast
Frenzy, and Super Spinner
* Changed timing in "Defeat of Azog" to make it easier to complete

== Version 2.90PR June 28, 2018 ==

- This is a Pre-Release version of software for testing only

=== Game Code

+ Added "There and Back Again" wizard mode for playing all Book Modes
+ Added enter name/initials for There and Back Again champ, Latest Smaug defeated,
Beast Champ, most modes played, most modes completed
* Rewrote Beast Frenzy rule: now wave-based to emphasize progression; super jackpot
is easier to achieve (after which mode can be cancelled via Ring Button)
+ Added adjustment that inhibits Beast Frenzy and Smaug MB overlap (default OFF)
+ Added intermediate difficulty level to Beast hurry-up rule
+ Added Status Report
+ Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is
configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task
+ Added adjustment to turn off Book Mode multiball
+ Added adjustment to turn off Book Mode selection with flippers after ramp shot
* Book Mode qualifier for Arkenstone now includes a scoring weight; more difficult
modes result in higher Arkenstone scoring
+ Added "Arkenstone Qualified" animation
* Fixed Arkenstone jewel animation at end of completed Book Mode
* Ring Button no longer available in Arkenstone modes
* Disallow starting an Arkenstone mode during a Book Mode
* Fixed pop-up beast arrow lamp colors showing during Arkenstone modes
+ Added new Ring anim colors to give each action its own color
* Ring Button lamp color now matched to action it will perform
* Fixed Smaug MB ramp diverter logic during grace
+ Added more Smaug speech for locking balls and jackpots
* Enhanced Smaug activity for multiball ready
* Fixed ramp LOCK light during "Flashback" mode
* Fixed "Flashback" ramp diverter logic during grace
* Ramp U-turn now scores ramp jackpots in Smaug Multiball
* Removed Smaug Multiball from Mystery Award
* Enhanced High Score/Enter Initials choreography
+ Added a bunch of speech calls to attract mode, game start, high scores, etc.
* Updated and added sound effects in a bunch of places
+ Added "Ball Saved" animation
+ Added ramp U-turn scoring rule
* Changed the mode hex icon display to improve contrast between played/not played modes
+ Bilbo, Gandalf, and Radagast arrows now light to show state of mode qualifier
+ Added GI lamp effects to all Book Modes
+ Added Book Mode completion percentage to book display
+ Added Book Mode "time added" display effect to book display
+ Added timer countdown speech to Book Modes
+ Added intro animations to Moon Runes and Fire & Water modes
* Book Mode "end scene" display is now killed when time added during grace
* Book Mode background movie now correctly restored when time added during grace
* Changed "The Bait" mode to use left VUK for "distract beast" shot
* Improved lamp usage in "The Bait", "Demise of Bolg", "The Contract",
"Gathering of Clouds" to help clarify targets to hit and avoid
* During "Demise of Bolg" adding time will now reset some drop targets
* Changed timer display for "Duel in Laketown" to clarify rule
* "Defeat of Azog" will now always pick a different beast for next shot
* Cleaned up instructions for "Orc Ambush"
+ Added error reporting for dragon stepper motor movement
* Dragon stepper motor is now turned off when game is idle
* Changed knocker "LOW" setting to be softer

=== Core Code

+ Added confirmation message and sound for setting clock and custom graphic
* Enhanced bumper and slingshot firing to provide finer adjustment granularity
* Fixed volume adjustment during game active that would sometimes leave music off
+ Added Test Report message for pinball missing
+ Added Switch History Test; shows 24 previous inactive->active switch transitions
* Changed kickback logic to prevent repeated firing with misadjusted switch
* Updated High Score/Enter Initials logic to handle all high score tables in
parallel so that all champ titles can be displayed at time of entry

#54 5 years ago

Thanks Ted, for such a painstakingly huge update that makes a great table even better, your skill shot was awesome, I need some more practice.
Off to download the update, massive Thankyou to you and all at JJP

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have installed the new code. Where do you stop beast frenzy from running into Smaug mb? Not seeing it in the settings.

screencap4 (resized).jpgscreencap4 (resized).jpg

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Is it on JJP's website? I was just there and didn't see it.

I downloaded old code from the jjp website, thought it was the new code, my fault. Installing NEW code now. Thanks Ted.

#57 5 years ago

It is no by default (after the update) correct?

#58 5 years ago

Whooo whoo ! Thx guys

#59 5 years ago

New code loaded. ALOT more callouts especially by Smaug. Just getting started. Big improvement so far. Thanks JJP

#60 5 years ago

Uploading now ! Thanks Ted/Keith and all who made a great game even better.

#61 5 years ago

Got one good game in before dinner. Nice. Ted, shouldn't preventing multiball overlap be labeled yes as the value? LOL

#62 5 years ago

Hopefully this will be the update that makes Hobbit more palatable to me, but having a TABA wizard mode just feels like a slap in the face to LOTR. Yeah yeah I get that it's the same bloody story, and a part of LOTR *and* The Hobbit.. I don't care. Just wish there'd been a more creative solution that hadn't been used. I'm sure that something else could've been done *IF* the game wasn't movie based, but I'll reserve final judgement on that until I get a chance to see it in person.....it better be damn impressive because LOTR's TABA is one of the best mini-wizards ever made IMO....it's honestly way better than the actual wizard mode on LOTR.. :p

Lots of interesting stuff here even for the 'haters' like me. Being able to separate out Smaug and MM Trolls is great. Having another way to light an Arkenstone piece is cool and should help with the tedium, and who the hell DIDN'T want more Smaug voice?

My biggest disappointment here has nothing to do with the code update, but this particular one is repeated all over Pinside, so I'm not exactly surprised. (20 bucks says it's about to happen again shortly)

#63 5 years ago

Updated and played a few games before heading out for the nights Fireworks. JJP Software crew hit it out of the park with the new additions. Noticed many new call outs and light shows.

Thanks to all that helped contribute to suggestions also.

#64 5 years ago

Great update!

Played several games so far on the new update and it adds a lot of great changes and improvements.

The lighting / effect changes are nice, but specifically having the button color change based on what it can do at the moment is greatly appreciated.

#65 5 years ago

Love the new code. I think I found a bug while playing tonight. I believe the "+1 ball during mode" sound byte in the new code, is actually the +3 balls sound byte from the old code. Anyone else pick up on that?

#66 5 years ago

LOVE the lighting improvements.
And I believe I noticed new callouts and video.

#67 5 years ago

Great update. Really love it. Thx. With the great light show during normal gameplay, unfortunately the light show during the wizard modes feels a little bit "reduced". If there is any chance for another update, maybe JJP could add some more light effects/ color to them. But thanks for the great work JJP team!

#68 5 years ago

Just to clarify, that the setting for preventing beast MB with Smaug MB defaults to NO which means the MB’s CAN run together. So you need to enable this to stop it. So the description is correct.
I could write an essay on all the new things that I love, so will just say that the update is simply stunning with my absolute favourites being a load more Smaug speech, the journal, high score tables and tracking, map clarity, lighting and Arkenstone modes.
The only thing I miss is the Multiball Callout for Smaug MB where it used to shouted but now is spoken the same as other MB modes, so that’s the only criticism I have and that’s constructive lol
Enjoy your weekend coz I certainly will

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Sorry for the confusion. A "delta update" cannot update the underlying Linux OS, because Linux needs to be running in order to make the delta update work.
Also, making an ISO release is a lot more work for us than doing a delta update release. Given that this is a holiday week in the US, we don't have the resources to get an ISO put together by Friday. Rather than make everyone wait, I'm going to release a delta update with an intermediate revision number.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to send a private message.
--Ted

Thanks for all of the hard work!!

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Hopefully this will be the update that makes Hobbit more palatable to me, but having a TABA wizard mode just feels like a slap in the face to LOTR. Yeah yeah I get that it's the same bloody story, and a part of LOTR *and* The Hobbit.. I don't care.

There and Back Again is the Hobbit’s subtitle. Seems legit to include it as a mode. If a mode with that title doesn’t belong in one of these games, it’s LOTR.

Of course they’re using entirely different movie assets on an entirely different playfield. Plus the title of the mode has nothing to do with how fun and rewarding it is to play.

But if you choose to view this as Keith slapping himself in the face, so be it!

#71 5 years ago

Ted,
Is there a status screen for arkenstone mode progress? I always wonder how many stages I was able to complete or how close I was to finishing the mode.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Beowulfz07:

Just to clarify, that the setting for preventing beast MB with Smaug MB defaults to NO which means the MB’s CAN run together. So you need to enable this to stop it. So the description is correct.
I could write an essay on all the new things that I love, so will just say that the update is simply stunning with my absolute favourites being a load more Smaug speech, the journal, high score tables and tracking, map clarity, lighting and Arkenstone modes.
The only thing I miss is the Multiball Callout for Smaug MB where it used to shouted but now is spoken the same as other MB modes, so that’s the only criticism I have and that’s constructive lol

I agree, I prefer the original Smaug multiball Gandalf intro shoutout over the casual one that is weaker in this build

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Beowulfz07:

Thanks for clarifying the multiball setting, I will switch mine to Yes today. Time to update your collection if Hobbit is your own.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Joz:

Ted,
Is there a status screen for arkenstone mode progress? I always wonder how many stages I was able to complete or how close I was to finishing the mode.

I believe it’s in the Journal status screens which you can get at any time while playing the game by holding left flipper button in and cycling through the pages with the right flipper button, it’s pretty awesome

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from Beowulfz07:

I believe it’s in the Journal status screens which you can get at any time while playing the game by holding left flipper button in and cycling through the pages with the right flipper button, it’s pretty awesome

There's a screen for the tasks required to qualify the next Arkenstone mode, but Joz is asking about feedback on how far he progressed in the previous Arkenstone mode. That information isn't shown anywhere.

I'll add this idea to my notes.
--Ted

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree, I prefer the original Smaug multiball Gandalf intro shoutout over the casual one that is weaker in this build

I'm not sure what happened there, because I didn't intentionally change anything. I'll look into it.
--Ted

#77 5 years ago

Ted can you also check the Smaug quotes at the end of the game?

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Ted can you also check the Smaug quotes at the end of the game?

Smaug should still be kicking in at game over, although a little less frequently and not for short games and not when he says something for entering initials. He also has a few more things to say. I'll check on it.
--Ted

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

There and Back Again is the Hobbit’s subtitle. Seems legit to include it as a mode. If a mode with that title doesn’t belong in one of these games, it’s LOTR.

It is also the original title of the third movie.

I mentioned to Keith yesterday that it (slightly) irked me that he named the mode "There and Back Again", but I conceded that it sounds better than "Homeward Bound", which is the chapter name from "The Lord of the Rings". I also pointed out that the only mention of "There and Back Again" in "The Lord of the Rings" is in the Preface where it is referenced as an alternate name for "The Hobbit" book. Keith countered that in the movie, Frodo looks at the book and reads the title when he is reminiscing with Billbo at Rivendell.

Anyway, "There and Back Again" also sounds better than "The Journey Home", which is the chapter name from "The Hobbit", so there you go.
--Ted

a_hobbits_tale (resized).jpga_hobbits_tale (resized).jpg

#81 5 years ago

It is also the original title of the third movie.
I mentioned to Keith yesterday that it (slightly) irked me that he named the mode "There and Back Again", but I conceded that it sounds better than "Homeward Bound", which is the chapter name from "The Lord of the Rings". I also pointed out that the only mention of "There and Back Again" in "The Lord of the Rings" is in the Preface where it is referenced as an alternate name for "The Hobbit" book. Keith countered that in the movie, Frodo looks at the book and reads the title when he is reminiscing with Billbo at Rivendell.
Anyway, "There and Back Again" also sounds better than "The Journey Home", which is the chapter name from "The Hobbit", so there you go.
--Ted

I think it is fine...I always thought "there and back again" was Bilbo's story, and not Frodo's

#82 5 years ago

There's a screen for the tasks required to qualify the next Arkenstone mode, but Joz is asking about feedback on how far he progressed in the previous Arkenstone mode. That information isn't shown anywhere.
I'll add this idea to my notes.
--Ted

Sorry Ted, misunderstood his question.
All the speech when entering high scores is great, except the “dear fellow” which seems really low but only heard or sort of heard once so will listen out for it again.
Bizarre about the Smaug mb Callout as it’s definitely more spoken now than shouted but in any case, with so many excellent changes you can’t please everyone. Thanks again for a lot of time and effort

#83 5 years ago

When ball drains within the ball save timer I didnt notice the “lets try that again” and with the gollum ball save I thought in previous code he shouts “noooo”

#84 5 years ago

I noticed that during some of the modes, all the insert lights turn green after making a shot. I’m not really sure why it does this or if it’s just part of the new lighting code added. How do others feel about this?

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

I noticed that during some of the modes, all the insert lights turn green after making a shot. I’m not really sure why it does this or if it’s just part of the new lighting code added. How do others feel about this?

I thought it is cool to add a big light fx like that to a successful shot... But I am also not sure about the color choice. It is the same green like the lock.

#86 5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Let me capture the comments and questions in one place...

Ball saver callouts: There are more callouts now. They go along with the Ball Saved animation.

"Multiball!" callout at beginning of Smaug MB has changed: Whoops! My mistake. In one of the passes I made to clean up the sound effects, I accidentally swapped the callout between Smaug MB and Beast Frenzy. I have fixed this for the next update.

Mode "ball locked" sounds are out of order and garbled: Another mistake, but too complicated to explain. Fixed for next update.

Smaug game over speech: This is still there, and there are more phrases now. However, Smaug will not say anything if he already said something for entering initials. Also, he won't speak up on short games. For next update, I've adjusted some things to strike a better balance between "too often" and "not enough".

Smaug sometimes doesn't talk/roar when expected. Also some speech is hard to hear: I will dig into this and remedy for the next update.

"Arkenstone" callout for spotting Arkenstone tasks happens too frequently: For next update, I moved this to go along with the Arkenstone Qualified animation. I'll think about something else to put in there to draw attention to the task spotting.

Add mode tier/stars to Book display in next update: Implemented for next update.

Gollum speech on outlane: Gollum callouts happen now only when Gollum Ball Save is triggered. (There are more than just "Nooo!" as well.) I'm going to look at this some more, since there may be some clashes between those callouts and the "It's ours!" callout. (Which also gets cut off.)

Qualifier for Book Modes always lit at ball start: This has not been changed, and is controlled by the difficulty setting. If you don't like this behavior, I suggest changing Book Mode Difficulty to 5.

Test Report flags "hobbit drops" error: Previously, the drop target code did not report errors, even though it was keeping track of them internally. Apparently, it's a little too conservative about clearing errors. Fixed in the next update. (The label should read "DROP TARGET BANKS", not "hobbit drops" *sigh*) If this error is persistent on your game, try going into DROP BANK LIFE TEST and let it run for a couple of minutes. (Full Menu->Tests->Device Tests->Drop Bank Life Test)

Book Mode shot lamp effect: The effect was made flashier in 2.95. Changed the color (sort of dusty blue) and timing for next update.

Blinking Ring button is distracting: I'll discuss this with the team on Monday. (Probably will leave as-is.)

Blink Ring Button while entering initials for high score: Implemented for next update.

Is there a status report page showing achievement results in Arkenstone Modes? No, but the addition is under consideration.

Please add "coin door ball save": I'll discuss this with the team on Monday.

"Dwarf horn" is too big/loud for its use: Yes, a smaller sound is needed instead of this one. This will be remedied in the next update.

What's going on with the Bilbo/Gandalf/Radagast arrows? These lamps were barely used previously. (Only in Arkenstone modes, IIRC.) They now reflect the state of the Bilbo/Gandalf/Radagast mode qualifiers - solid when spotted, blinking when not spotted. Bilbo lamp is incorrectly blinking when the shot will start a mode; this is fixed for the next release.

During "The Bait", the Book text is incorrect. It should say "Left Hole & Loop to Hide Beasts". Fixed for next update. Also changed the text to be more specific when one escape shot remains.

Might have noticed a mismatch in Ring button lamp color vs. display: I'll take a look.

While entering initials, used DEL to change a character. Ended after next character without using END: I'll take a look.

In "The Bait", when a loop is a mode-ending shot, it feels bad that it takes a single spinner hit to trigger: I'm mulling this one over. I have to tread lightly in that area of the code.

Balin arrow lamp does not reflect current state of shot for Dwarf Collect rule: Confirmed bug. I need to dig into it.

Internal variable that marks when an Arkenstone mode is won is not cleared at game start: This is an awful bug. Win an Arkenstone mode -> that same player number will get to enter initials for winning the mode for every subsequent game until the game is turned off. Fixed for next release.

--Ted

Added over 6 years ago:

I did not realize that I wouldn't be able to continue updating this post with ongoing information. It is now quite out of date.

For ongoing updates, please consult the Google Doc below. I have color coded the items to show their status. (Fixed / Working as intended / Will not address / Might get attention / Will be fixed or changed).

Hobbit 2.95 Software Status

Thanks again for all the feedback, comments, and kind words.

--Ted

#87 5 years ago

Like the new code. Has really transformed the game. Killing the Smaug is still a bit of a mystery. I’ve done it once and had no idea how I did it. Would like some callouts on how to progress this. The arkenstone stones and mini wizard modes are better integrated with Journal. New high score tables are good to. Led affects have been improved along with even more call-outs. What a franchise JJP have with this pin. Just keeps getting better!

#88 5 years ago

"Arkenstone" callout for spotting Arkenstone tasks happens too frequently: For next update, I moved this to go along with the Arkenstone Qualified animation.

I must say, I like that a lot as it is, so you are better informed during the game !!!

#89 5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Let me capture the comments and questions in one place...
Ball saver callouts: There are more callouts now. They go along with the Ball Saved animation.
"Multiball!" callout at beginning of Smaug MB has changed: Whoops! My mistake. In one of the passes I made to clean up the sound effects, I accidentally swapped the callout between Smaug MB and Beast Frenzy. I have fixed this for the next update.
Mode "ball locked" sounds are out of order: Another mistake, but too complicated to explain. Fixed for next update.
Smaug game over speech: This is still there, and there are more phrases now. However, Smaug will not say anything if he already said something for entering initials. Also, he won't speak up on short games. For next update, I've adjusted some things to strike a better balance between "too often" and "not enough".
"Arkenstone" callout for spotting Arkenstone tasks happens too frequently: For next update, I moved this to go along with the Arkenstone Qualified animation.
Add mode tier/stars to Book display in next update: Implemented for next update.
Gollum speech on outlane: Gollum callouts happen now only when Gollum Ball Save is triggered. (There are more than just "Nooo!" as well.) I'm going to look at this some more, since there may be some clashes between those callouts and the "It's ours!" callout. (Which also gets cut off.)
Qualifier for Book Modes always lit at ball start: This has not been changed, and is controlled by the difficulty setting. If you don't like this behavior, I suggest changing Book Mode Difficulty to 5.
Test Report flags "hobbit drops" error: I am still investigating why this has just cropped up. (The label should read "DROP TARGET BANKS", not "hobbit drops" *sigh*) If this error is persistent on your game, try going into DROP BANK LIFE TEST and let it run for a couple of minutes. (Full Menu->Tests->Device Tests->Drop Bank Life Test)
Book Mode shot lamp effect: The effect was made flashier in 2.95. I'll see about adjusting the timing and color for the next update.
At start of Smaug MB, Smaug sometimes doesn't roar: I have observed some oddness with Smaug phrases in a few places. I will dig into it and figure out what's happening.
Blinking Ring button is distracting: I'll discuss this with the team on Monday.
Is there a status report page showing achievement results in Arkenstone Modes? No, but the addition is under consideration.
Please add "coin door ball save": I'll discuss this with the team on Monday.
--Ted

Thanks for taking the time to comment Ted, great update!

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

I must say, I like that a lot as it is, so you are better informed during the game !!!

I tend to agree, but I can also see how it can get repetitive. (There are six different speech clips, but they don't sound all that different even with different characters speaking.)

There is special sound effect for the Arkenstone task spotting. It can sometimes get lost in the sound mix with a lot going on, but at least it's there. I'll see if I can come up with something else to include there.
--Ted

#91 5 years ago

this level of support from jjp is unprecedented. I can’t say thanks enough for all the work that has and is going into this, but I’ll try...THANK YOU Ted and team!!

#92 5 years ago

Ted,
You and your team have done an outstanding job post release yesterday. GREAT COMMUNICATION AND SUPPORT!

Thank You,
Sully

#93 5 years ago

Love the Journal but I've gotten used to cradling the ball while looking at the screen to see what modes I've played and deciding if I want to hit the left ramp and change the mode. I'm not good enough to watch everything on the screen while playing. Maybe try either:

1. Add a couple of seconds before the Journal Fires up. or...
2. Add a couple of seconds before the Journal Fires up AND group the modes so that it's OBVIOUS which modes feed other modes, maybe show the star ratings and make it easier to go to the next mode in the feeder line.

To be honest, understanding the feeder system is pretty bewildering, especially during the heat of a game. I feel like I have to pause the game and consult a chart. Doesn't help that scores are also tied to where you are on the map. I didn't memorize the movies. At the least I'd like a little more time to view the chart and select a mode by star rating.

#94 5 years ago

I like the flashing ring button and colors, hope you leave it as is. There is too much going on in the game (that's a good thing), I forget about the ring button so the flashing helps me. Just my .02

#95 5 years ago

Glad I pulled out the rule flowsheet. It was a quick and timely reminder of the game, on one frickin piece of paper. Eerie how accurately it tracks actual game play. JJP Team have made a magical pin #2, following in WOZ's #1 shadow.

IMG_0430 (resized).JPGIMG_0430 (resized).JPG

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Love the Journal but I've gotten used to cradling the ball while looking at the screen to see what modes I've played and deciding if I want to hit the left ramp and change the mode. I'm not good enough to watch everything on the screen while playing. Maybe try either:
1. Add a couple of seconds before the Journal Fires up. or...
2. Add a couple of seconds before the Journal Fires up AND group the modes so that it's OBVIOUS which modes feed other modes, maybe show the star ratings and make it easier to go to the next mode in the feeder line.
To be honest, understanding the feeder system is pretty bewildering, especially during the heat of a game. I feel like I have to pause the game and consult a chart. Doesn't help that scores are also tied to where you are on the map. I didn't memorize the movies. At the least I'd like a little more time to view the chart and select a mode by star rating.

There is a setting to change the delay on when Status Report ("Traveler's Journal") starts and how long it stays on each page. Also, you can change the pages by holding one flipper button and flipping the other. At the end, you can flip again to start it back up as long as you don't release the other button.

I'm not sure how to address having to study things carefully. Maybe print out the screen shots I provided and use them for reference? The Book Modes are listed in map order. Also, once you study the feeder system, you'll see that earlier modes feed into later modes (speaking in terms of movie order).

--Ted

status_report_settings (resized).jpgstatus_report_settings (resized).jpg

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I like the flashing ring button and colors, hope you leave it as is. There is too much going on in the game (that's a good thing), I forget about the ring button so the flashing helps me. Just my .02

Agree. I don't even notice the ring button until I want to hit it. 0% distracting.

#98 5 years ago

Also, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to have the ring button flashing when putting in a high score after a good game. Seems empty without it blinking for such a joyous occasion.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Of course they’re using entirely different movie assets on an entirely different playfield. Plus the title of the mode has nothing to do with how fun and rewarding it is to play.
But if you choose to view this as Keith slapping himself in the face, so be it!

I guess? Doesn't really matter to me. It's a recycled name in a recycled franchise at this point. I never liked Hobbit, as a book or a movie, nearly as much as LOTR. Totally get what you're saying about it not belonging in LOTR, and I can't disagree, but it's been there for uh...15 years. And god forbid Stern ever Vaults the damn thing. Will we see lawsuits between JJP and Stern over rights to the TABA name? LOL.

LOTR nailed the theme to the name though. The recaps and custom animations for each shot, with the unique music is just one of the most brilliant things in pinball IMO. To reuse that name, it better be damn impressively integrated with the theme, that's all I'm saying.

#100 5 years ago

There is a setting to change the delay on when Status Report ("Traveler's Journal") starts and how long it stays on each page. Also, you can change the pages by holding one flipper button and flipping the other. At the end, you can flip again to start it back up as long as you don't release the other button.
I'm not sure how to address having to study things carefully. Maybe print out the screen shots I provided and use them for reference? The Book Modes are listed in map order. Also, once you study the feeder system, you'll see that earlier modes feed into later modes (speaking in terms of movie order).
--Ted

Thanks, didn't realize that was in the settings! And thanks for the update. Overall it's amazing. The only reason I even know about the feeder system is because a Pinsider took a lot of effort to map it out. I can't imagine someone not on Pinside figuring it out through gameplay. I really love the concept and depth, and the modes are awesome and immersive. I jut wish it was easier to figure out during the heat of battle (like when you start a mode during one of the multiballs).

Anyway, I'll keep playing and looking for bugs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 475 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code/page/2?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.