Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Prize_Money.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

It's a format that was started by Herb Silvers of Fabulous Fantasies. Others have covered the details.
    Some people love them and others hate them.

I'm in the semi-"hate" category. A big reason for why I dislike this format comes from *my perspective* that tournaments are about competing in the moment. If you can't beat someone or score a qualifying score in X amount of tries when it counts, you weren't the best player that day.

Although now I know better, when I first saw this format in pinball I thought it was a con to just pad the pools.

What I *do* like is when this format is run with a cap on the re-buys. I believe that is how you ran it at PPE? If you think you can qualify in 1 shot, you save money. If you need all X amount of times to qualify, that's fine...because EVERYONE is on the same level playing field to qualify.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Due the luck factor in pinball, if you limit rebuys, the best player may not always win. I understand that people like this, but if you want a true test of your skills, try a Herb style tournament or some variation of it, like PAPA. Limited rebuys decreases the prize pool and increases the luck factor. Might as well do match play.

One major thing about your perspective that I don't share is the "luck factor" (aside from games like Fireball, which are designed to play by themselves). Yeah, there are house-balls and yeah, the "ball is wild" in as much as any ball bouncing in a predictable way can be -- but I don't believe luck actually plays as much into this genre of game as some people claim. If pinball was that much about luck, Herb format most certainly does not somehow nullify the luck and replace it with skill. An argument could be made that Herb is just an attempt to replace bad luck with good luck (the more times you roll the dice, the better chances you have of hitting the side of the dice you want). If a pinball player is leaning that hard on the luck factor, unfortunately, it's a sign to me that he/she is not mentally prepared for competitive play yet.

As for if we might as well just have match play, that's the end of the means of Herb. The point is to seed for match play. Limiting re-buys does not suddenly make the qualifying round not worth going through.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Don't take my word for it. Plenty of great players have said that pinball is around 25% luck. When you limit the number of entries, you increase the luck factor.

...Because of the luck factor, playoffs are rarely one and done. Luck is a part of the game, no matter what format you use.

Again, no, it does not. This is where we're going to have to agree to disagree. Positive results in luck-based games thrive on increased attempts, not less. I see your perspective, that you see scenarios where a bad player flails a killer qualifying score in 1 try. Everyone is limited to 3 re-tries and none of the skilled players can take it. That isn't a failure of the limited re-buy format somehow giving the bad player an advantage, it's a failure on the part of the skilled players getting schooled by a random flailer on an even playfield.

Now, will increased entries allow for skilled players to get use to the machine they are playing on? Allow them to figure out that the skull shot on the T2 in front of them requires a later flip than the T2 in their living room? Allow them to figure out that the tilt on the tournament's F-14 only allows one solid nudge where the one at their league allows them to dance the machine out the door?

Yes.

But that is not an issue of luck, as much as players who fail to hit the skull shot or tilt the F-14 will want to believe. It's being able to adjust your skills to the playfield placed in front of you as quickly as possible. The truly skilled players will nail these machines in as few re-buys as possible or at least within the limited number of re-buys allowed.

As for why finals are multiple games: It isn't to nullify any luck factors. Every game type utilizes more games in their finals matches. In game types that are truly head-to-head in nature (chess/checkers/tennis/flinging shit at each other) the increased games allows for opponents to read each other and alter strategies to win. The truly skilled player will utilize those extra games to out-read and out-play their opponent, the better doing it in as few games as possible. In something like pinball, it's which player will adjust better to the obstacle put in front of them (the machine). The better player will adjust their skills sooner and more often under the pressure of playing several different games.

Quoted from phishrace:

In tournament play, Fireball is all about the skill shot. On paper, it looks to be a luck game. It's not. Not a good tournament game for that reason.

I'm sorry man, but I have no idea what you're trying to say here. That Fireball is a luck game, but it's not, but because it's not a luck heavy game it is not a good tournament game?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/detailed-descrption-of-herb-format?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.