Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Prize_Money.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

How are the scores translated into points?

It's a little different for every tournament that is played, but you can find examples at the pages hosting the tournaments... Here's one for the MGC:

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/tournaments/pinball-tournaments/mpc-rules/

I don't like the term "Herb format", I like it as "open qualifying." It isn't just something to send the prize pools through the roof - it actually helps not-so-great players have a chance too. If you are inconsistent, and you play a game and you just stink, in "open qualifying" you can play it again to try to improve your score. If you are playing in PAPA style, head to head, or limited entry, it very hard to bounce back from a lower score.

#18 11 years ago

Re: herbertsharpe - Hey, no...

Using me as an example, I'm generally a pretty decent pinball player. Using my friends as an example, if we play 20 games, I'll win probably 16 of them. Good percentage. On three of those games, it will probably be pretty close, and the other player will have had a good game. On one of those games, I will score like 1/30th of their score.

Open qualifying format helps me as a player because if in qualifying, I get that 1/30th of a score, I can play again and wipe it out. I'm not though good enough to not have games that just suck sometimes.

So for me, this is a much better way to play. I get a chance to play and with a few scores, I get to see where I stand. If I bomb the same game but am okay on the other 4 or whatever, I can opt to replay it.

Also, contrary to what some people have said, I don't get what people mean by you have to "grind" it out. If you set a monster score on a game as your first play, chances are you don't need to play it again. Generally, the top qualifying people won't be playing all day, unless they want to get a continued "feel" for the machines and / or try to hold their spots. We have had some people qualifying in the first two hours Saturday and then not play another entry.

Quoted from Propaganda:

Here's the thought process of someone who likes to keep his money, and does not think it's fun to loose it in a tourny.

I don't like to "loose" money either...

Quoted from Propaganda:

Let's see, I'm an average player. I'll have to buy a bunch of tries to just make the "ever increasing" score cut. Then **IF** I do, I'll probably be beaten by a much better player. He'll get my money and everone else's. So, why attempt? Just play pinball outside a tournament. Simple as that.

It depends. In our tournament format, we give out stuff to something like the top 44 players. Based on our qualifying pool in most years, that means nearly 50% get to play for something, and competing in a setting where there is something on the line is fun. Besides that, there is a chance that someone can play better than expected. A couple years ago, a guy who never played in a tournament until our show took part and got third, while playing against people who were top 25 players in the world. The following year I think it was, we had a player win who it was his third tournament.

I think it's worth playing in at least one to see what you think of it

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I was just messin around

Well... good! I only care that people have fun, really.

A few years ago, my mom played in the tournament. She won't even play my games, I offered to buy her a couple entries for he staying so late, and much to my surprise she said sure.

After that, I would get regular updates about what rank she was in the world. There truly is something fun that just about anyone can find in a tournament

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/detailed-descrption-of-herb-format?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.