(Topic ID: 241428)

Detached Garage Gameroom: Fantasy or Feasible?

By Hoopoebird

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rufessor
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10152379565890716 (resized).jpg
    10152669679560716 (resized).jpg
    20190331_154600 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

keep in mind taxes ..... your town will classify the space differently and bump up your taxes quite a bit each year (the cost that keeps taking from you)

Occasionally! An existing garage shouldn’t add to existing taxes. DC you might need to pull permits but if you’re fast you can do it yourself and they’ll never know

I don’t use my garage as a gameroom, I use it as a storage and workbench/room and to entertain for parties.

I dug a trench, kept all the grass clumps to the side, daisy-chained off an existing 20a circuit in the house that has very little load on it (rarely used wall outlets) smacked a new outlet on the side of the house and chained off that, and put in a decent shutoff in the garage so if ever it trips anything it will cut power in the garage and not affect the house circuit. My electrician friend helped me and by the end of the day I emptied a little dirt and patted all the grass back down and you’d never know I dug a 30ft long 2ft deep trench. It blended perfectly!

Also my garage is anchored by huge 4x4’s and technically doesn’t have a floor or foundation so if the city ever tries to bitch and claim it’s a taxable outbuilding or some nonsense, I can rip it out of the ground fairly simply if I take the right steps and the post I mounted the electrical too is not directly tied to the structure.

While not exactly ideal for an outdoor garagecade, you could use some of the same ideas I believe. The only issue is really the moisture/humidity and the cold. Those will destroy your nice games. Run a dehumidifier and go with the split system to get both heating and cooling.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/detached-garage-gameroom-fantasy-or-feasible?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.