(Topic ID: 13204)

Desperatly need your help on Medieval Madness right now!

By LuizAlmeida

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LuizAlmeida
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1403.JPG
MM_Orbit.jpg
MM_In-Lane.jpg
IMG_1322.JPG

#1 8 years ago

Hi folks. Sorry about my introduction been like this. Im right now with the maintenance guy reviewing some issues on my medieval madness and when I turn my machine on it says Press Enter for TEST report and it reports a SWITCH 31 FAILURE - Through Eject

but i cant find this switch. and he apparently doesnt know either. I downloaded a medieval madness manual on the internet but it doesnt come with a switch map. im kinda lost.

Well.. the game plays normally except with some problems in castle pit (when it comes out it instantly shots the ball through the drain with no possibly chance of recovering the ball. Maybe can be some solenoid issue.

I appreciate if someone could help me in this period the technician is still here so we can try to find the problem!

Thank you!!!

#2 8 years ago

If your technician can't find that switch, you don't want him working on your game.

#3 8 years ago

...oh, and look at page 2-49 of the manual.

#4 8 years ago

I cant say you´re wrong. But here we lack of technicians who have deep knowledge on all machines. I imagine those switches tend to change the locations from table to table.

#5 8 years ago

Thank you. The manual I downloaded doesnt had that sector.i downloaded another one that has it.

#6 8 years ago

The switch is an opto on the ball trough, just before the ball gets ejected to the shooter lane. The manual at IPDB has it:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4032/Williams_1997_Medieval_Madness_English_Manual.pdf

#8 8 years ago

Thank you guys. That was really stupid. First machine on collection and so far zero knowledge about where to find things hehehe

#9 8 years ago

Not at all. We all started with zero knowledge and learned with experience. Your technician, on the other hand, I have doubts about.

#10 8 years ago

Time to find a new tech

#11 8 years ago

No one knows everything about everything. But a good tech should be able to walk into a situation, diagnosis the problem and find the answers to his questions without bothering the man whose paying him. In this age all tech's should have a smart phone and he should know where to find the answers to the questions he has. Being good at something is just as much knowing where to find answers to problems as knowing the answers to problems. To stop foreword progress and have the home owner post on a forum to find the answer to a problem is unprofessional. What makes it even worse is the answer to the problem was "download the manual at the ipdb". I am an appliance service tech. If I'm on my way to a house and I know I'm not familiar with a machine I will download the manual on my phone and read through the highlights before I get there. I can work on a machine I've never seen before and the customer will have the impression when I'm done that I'm the master at his machine. There are appliance forums just like pinside and I have asked questions on them but you better believe the customer didn't know about it. If people question your skills or smell fear on you it makes for an unhappy customer.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

No one knows everything about everything. But a good tech should be able to walk into a situation, diagnosis the problem and find the answers to his questions without bothering the man whose paying him. In this age all tech's should have a smart phone and he should know where to find the answers to the questions he has. Being good at something is just as much knowing where to find answers to problems as knowing the answers to problems. To stop foreword progress and have the home owner post on a forum to find the answer to a problem is unprofessional. What makes it even worse is the answer to the problem was "download the manual at the ipdb". I am an appliance service tech. If I'm on my way to a house and I know I'm not familiar with a machine I will download the manual on my phone and read through the highlights before I get there. I can work on a machine I've never seen before and the customer will have the impression when I'm done that I'm the master at his machine. There are appliance forums just like pinside and I have asked questions on them but you better believe the customer didn't know about it. If people question your skills or smell fear on you it makes for an unhappy customer.

+1,But maybe his tech probably doesn't read or speak english.The manual is written in english and they are in brazil.

#13 8 years ago

The eject from the moat that is draining down the middle, that is a common problem, mine did it as well. The resolution is to either change the coil to a smaller size or shim the coil plunger so it travels less distance, thus hitting the ball lighter, You can shim it at the coil stop with some double stick foam and that will lighten it up. Mine almost never goes down the middle from the moat eject now.

#14 8 years ago

What really gets me is that the switch error says "Trough Eject". It's in the same location for every WPC95 game. Anyone who works on pins should be able to find this and clean it (at which point it most likely works) without ever cracking the manual. I don't own, nor have I ever seen under the playfield of a MM, but fixing that switch error is routine.

It's not going to fix the "castle pit" SDTM problem, though.

#15 8 years ago

Pin_Crazed >> do you have a picture of how you shimmed with double stick?

My MM ocasionally has this issue and I am more of a visual learner so pics would help.

thanks!!!

#16 8 years ago

Once again thank you all for the help. The tech has gone but I think I made a bad deal on this machine. Apparently it was rebuild some times and a lot of non-original parts were installed just to make it work without the need of spending what´s necessary to make it original.

After all the problem wasnt on the switch 31 (wich thanks to you I found). The problem was on a circuit board near the lights of the castles that controls all switchs (I guess). My game was releasing 2 balls on castle multiball and 2 balls on the multiball madness (except for the ultra multiball madness with 4 balls).

Now all the issues apparently were solved. Castle multiball with 3 balls, other multiballs with 3 (except for the single mission multiball with two and ultra multiball with 4). The moat eject doesnt drain the ball anymore.. maybe its a God´s sign lol or maybe because I tried to move the piece.

Who knows whats going to happen next in terms of maitenance. I hope I can play it well for some time. I bought it 3 weeks ago and until now I had some problems. I knew that pinball required constant maitenance but not at this rate!

#17 8 years ago

heres a video with my pin playing castle multiball with 2 balls (problem solved so far)

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

The eject from the moat that is draining down the middle, that is a common problem, mine did it as well. The resolution is to either change the coil to a smaller size or shim the coil plunger so it travels less distance, thus hitting the ball lighter, You can shim it at the coil stop with some double stick foam and that will lighten it up. Mine almost never goes down the middle from the moat eject now.

There is play in that kicker bracket. You can just loosen the screws and slide it all the way back, usually. that worked on mine.

#19 8 years ago

Sorry, but this seems a very odd issue for a MM. The moat eject shoots the ball up and to the left, where it lands on the left orbit lane and then gravity rolls it down to the flippers. I don't see how the power or stroke distance of the coil would have any effect?

Depending on how the ball bounces up to the playfield, you should either get a ball that rolls right down to the left flipper, or even catches the bottom of the left slingshot (without firing it) and then hits the left flipper. With the geometry of the orbit lane, that ball should never even come close to draining right away.

1)Check that your game is level left to right. If it's tilting down to the right you might get drains

2)Remove the plastics under the upper catapult wireform (this may require removing the wireform too). Once the plastic is off you should see the screws holding down the stainless steel orbit guide (see the lower left of the picture below). One or two of the holes on the tab should be extra wide. this allows some adjustment on the angle of the guide. Loosen the screws and adjust the guide so that the end of it points as far left as possible. You may need to loosen screws further up the guide to get the perfect angle. You'll notice the two screws on the bottom of my picture. The one on the left is almost overlapping the tab. This means the guide is pushed as far right as possible, which in turn forces the bottom of the guide to point more to the left. No more lost balls!

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to make sure it was clear.

IMG_1322.JPG

#20 8 years ago

Gambit > are you talking about the entire VUK bracket?

#21 8 years ago

One thing that I noticed is that the ball is ejected with such force it kicks on the left wall of the orbital then hits the right wall and slides down closer to the right wall and get drained with no possibly way of recovering it without tilting.

This should be common since on the left ramp there is some kind of protection avoiding the ball sliding to the midle after going out of the bumpers. theres a small piece blocking it and making it go right and then slide down to the right flipper. on the moat exit this doesnt exist.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Gambit > are you talking about the entire VUK bracket?

Yep. The holes that hold it onto the PF are slotted, allowing for adjustment. Move it all the way to the back.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks Drano and Gambit!

I will try those adjustments.

I noticed that typically when my MM shoots out from the moat and ends up draining it appears to be that it comes out with more velocity and bounces around a bit between the left orbit rail and the left ramp bottom rail protector area. The ball then rolls oddly over the left orbit roll over swith and changes trajectory to head straight for the drain.

I need to strip and clean my playfield when I put in LEDs anyhow so I will tweak a few things to get it working better.

#24 8 years ago

Drano, that is a clean moat eject area. Is it touched up?

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from LuizAlmeida:

One thing that I noticed is that the ball is ejected with such force it kicks on the left wall of the orbital then hits the right wall and slides down closer to the right wall and get drained with no possibly way of recovering it without tilting.
This should be common since on the left ramp there is some kind of protection avoiding the ball sliding to the midle after going out of the bumpers. theres a small piece blocking it and making it go right and then slide down to the right flipper. on the moat exit this doesnt exist.

I guess it's possible. Check to see if a similar adjustment can be made on the guide to the right? Another option would be to dull the impact by placign a small strip of foam where the ball hits, but I never like this type of fix. Gambit's suggestion of shifting the coil bracket will likely help as well. In your video it didn't look too bad.

#26 8 years ago

Drano, that is a clean moat eject area. Is it touched up?

Oh yeah
I stupidly forgot to take a good "before" shot of that knight before cleaning him up, but the right leg of the horse and the blue above it had some wear. Not the worst I've seen by far. Here are a couple of the other before & after touch-ups I did on the game. These are prior to the final clearcoat. Once done, you couldn't see a thing.

MM_In-Lane.jpg MM_Orbit.jpg

I also added a finished shot of my baby. Shoot me a PM if you want these custom price cards.

IMG_1403.JPG

Sorry Luiz.
Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

#27 8 years ago

/\
Drano - Not at all. for me its great to share knowledge about this machine. (in my case i cant share much only absorb yours lol)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside