4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

So I finally broke down and picked up a desoldering station, pace mbt-210. What size tips will I use most for component removal? I mostly stick to bally / williams early solid state up to wpc board set, with sys 11 being a favorite. It came with several tips that are .030 ID, but those look pretty small. Also do I flux and tin the tips to keep them nice? And do I put a layer of solder for storage? Thanks for any advice.

Not really answering your questions directly - but here's some good practice nonetheless.

Use a small damp sponge to clean the tip.
    I always add some fresh solder to the pins I plan on desoldering, really helps a lot.
    Skip the lead free solder, higher melting point. Just a royal PIA. Just get some decent 60/40 or 63/37 rosin core solder. DON'T use plumbers solder - not electronic safe!
    I tend to give pins a little, gentle wiggle as I desolder, helps suck up any stubborn solder between the pin and the via.
    If it's really stubborn, the give it some more fresh solder.
    Lastly, keep an keep out on the end of the desoldering tips - if for some reason they get rough on the end, you might rip a pad off. I haven't had that happen, but I can see it happening if you never change tips.

Once you get the hang of it (and it should happen quick) - it just makes makes a huge difference. I've unsoldered IC's and they literally fall off the board!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I used to do that, but switched to brass sponge--that seems to work a lot better.

Yeah, I'm just old school and used a sponge for +45 years... Always thought the brass might be a bit rougher on the tip plating. But in the end, they both work and as long as it cleans it, good by me!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desoldering-tip-advice?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.