Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

br2 (resized).jpg
20190523_171841 (resized).jpg
20190522_153048 (resized).jpg
20190522_153013 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

So I have been doing maintenance on my Flash Gordon since it was blowing the F1 fuse (G.I.) on startup. I was able to trace it to bridge rectifier 1 which is fine and dandy.

So here comes my problem I can not get this thing off the board for the life of me. I've tried adding solder and using a wick too many times now and it won't budge. I can't cut the pins because it is right up against the board.

Any suggestions?

PS. Sorry for the shitty looking board. Not the first time it has had work.

20190522_153013 (resized).jpg20190522_153013 (resized).jpg20190522_153048 (resized).jpg20190522_153048 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Hakko FR-301

Worth every penny.

#3 4 years ago

Always a chance a previous repair used a higher temperature solder.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Always a chance a previous repair used a higher temperature solder.
LTG : )

I'm more than sure this is part of the issue but I'm already using temps that scare me for board work. (700F+) The previous owner had a tendency to use lead free.

#5 4 years ago

I've successfully used "chip quick" low temp solder alloy on difficult to remove components in the past.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Snowball:

I'm more than sure this is part of the issue but I'm already using temps that scare me for board work. (700F+) The previous owner had a tendency to use lead free.

700-800 is a totally normal temperature for circuit board work. Higher temps are ok too, but you just have to be more careful as you cant leave the iron on the part for as long.

#7 4 years ago

GI shouldn't use a bridge?

You'll need a high temp iron and something better than wick to remove that though

#8 4 years ago

I think the detail needed is what kind of iron/tip/flux/solder are you attempting to use.

The tip type, recovery time of iron, temp, etc are all key on a large plane lug like this.

#9 4 years ago

those tracks are HUGE right there. its probably a temperature dissipation thing. Get a fatter desoldering tip on there and up the temperature. If new solder does not flow nicely then its not hot enough to vac desolder.

I will dual wield at times to get stuff like this desoldered. Use the pen iron and the desolder gun in both hands after adding more fresh solder to get it hot enough the solder liquidizes and you can suck it off.

#10 4 years ago

Boards that have large copper foil that is both sides of the board can be a real pain. I was in electronics repair for 34yrs and used about every form and fashion of solder removal, and none were great on boards like in this thread. I would recommend to destroy the bridge with suitable means, big diagonal cutters, dremel ect, then pull out one lead at a time, then clean the old solder off with wick or other means. Once the old bridge is off there it's much easier to clean the old solder off.

#11 4 years ago

I have been there before! A large tip (greater mass) was what helped the most. I almost brought a second iron into the mix, but that wasn't necessary after I used the biggest tip I had.

#12 4 years ago

My guess is you have a low wattage iron. You need at least a 50 watt iron for a job like this with a good tip. Spend a little cash and get a decent one. I have the analog version of this one. Works great! It is hard to burn up the tip on a Weller.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WE1010NA-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B077JDGY1J/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

#13 4 years ago

Alright so after much work and much cleaning, I think I'm screwed.

I managed to loosen the bottom left and top right in the picture but the board damage on the other two is a bit much I think. They are not loose either.

My iron is not the issue. I run an edsyn 951sx a little old but it works. I did switch to a larger tip which did help as I was able to get the two I did loose.

20190523_171841 (resized).jpg20190523_171841 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago

Too much force removing?

That is still certainly repairable.

#15 4 years ago

Silly idea here... Dremel the BR into quarters, and then you can heat each pin and pull with pliers from the other side while the solder is heated.
(No clue how tough it is to saw a bridge rect.)

br2 (resized).jpgbr2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desoldering-issues?hl=ronkz650 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.