(Topic ID: 180583)

Desoldering Gun - Worth It vs Spring Suckers?

By zacaj

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ps-03 (resized).jpg
    50811620718__8B8BB68E-2A8C-44C1-BA34-B36AC2114029 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4102 (resized).JPG
    20170205_015826 (resized).jpg
    20170205_015837 (resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

I picked up a Hakko 470b base station with an 802 handheld gun. After trying to use it once, I now know why it was on eBay for under $100... it clogs very easily, and not at the tip, but on the exit from the heating unit. The solder cools before it gets to the vacuum chamber, and creates a clog. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep it from clogging?

#52 6 years ago

And a question for Hakko, or CSI8900 owners.

How long do the tips last? How many desoldering operations are they good for?

#53 6 years ago

Get the Hakko. Seriously. Just do it.

1 week later
    #54 6 years ago

I keep both in my mobile workstation.

The soldapult is used for large chunks of solder, such as flipper coils, and anywhere I have a lead stuck in a through-hole.

The solder sucker is used for any board repairs I am doing.

#55 6 years ago

I used the sucker and braid for years. Never used a bulb/iron. I got a desoldering iron and never looked back. If you have the money, just get one. Your time and boards are worth it.

#56 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. Grabbed the CSI8900 for $82.90 shipped on ebay, after using one of the recurring $15 off $75 Paypal promos. This is a rebadged Aoyue 8800, a Hakko 808 clone. Pulled a pad on my 1st use, but went on to do about five hundred operations today without incident. Get a nice clean hole, and didn't pull out any through plating when the old chips came out.

Thumb used to get tired working the Radio Shack desoldering iron, with the rubber bulb on it. Did read elsewhere about replacing the rubber bulb with a vacuum pump + filter for a super cheap setup. This might be an option for someone. Used dozens of those cheap Radio Shack tips, but with compatible tips now around ten bucks, I figured it was time to find another desoldering solution.

#57 6 years ago

Well I fixed my EBay Hakko unit. It took about $60 in parts to rebuild the vacuum pumps and get the proper tips for it. Now it works like a champ. I've got a total of $160 in it, and it runs like new. Now that I have a .01 tip for it, I hopefully will not singe any more boards with it.

4 months later
    #58 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Things i see people new to desoldering do.
    1st. Rub the tip against the pcb forcefully. This will lift the pad. Touch the tip to the component lead and let the solder transfer heat. You want to do as little moving around against hte pad as possible.
    2nd. Not letting the solder fully melt / too cold of temps. Remember the solder must melt all the way through the PCB and to the top side of the board. Don't pull the vac trigger early and then forcefully remove components. That is how the plated through holes get ripped out.
    3. Pointing the gun at the work bench. Gravity helps you desolder. The gun is a gun. Point it like you would a pistol. Hold the board vertically upright and the desolder vac gun horizontally.

so with the vacuum desoldering gun dont touch the solderjoint but the component leg instead , if desoldering ?? or do you mean i just need to touch (dont force it on the pad) the solderblob just on top and not wiggle with gun in circulair motion and when i see solder melt just vacuum it ? also when desoldering use flux on the spot iam working on?

what is a good temperatuur to put the desoldering gun on for removing like u15 u16 u17 chips on wpc dcs cpu board that had a little battery alkaline?

i cleaned the board but didnt clean the contacts front and back of the board with the fiberbrush so this is also good to do before desoldering and soldering ?

#59 6 years ago

I run my iron and my desoldering iron at 400°F. Seems to work well enough to solder IC sockets, transistors, and solenoid wires without having to readjust the temp each time.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desoldering-gun-worth-it-vs-spring-suckers/page/2?hl=boiydiego and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.