Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by grbgemen
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Does anyone have any desoldering braid suggestions or anything to stay away from?

I am getting some chip quik and would like to get some desoldering braid for clean up afterwards

#2 9 years ago

I would suggest not using it. Great way to lift solder pads.

#3 9 years ago

It is probably all the same. Even the Radio Shack garbage works fine.

True, about lifting traces if you are not experienced or have a bad soldering iron. If you over heat the pad or let the wick cool while attached it is big trouble.

But if you have a coil lug or something with a clump of solder and wire it is nice to wrap some braid on it and let it suck the mess right up.

#4 9 years ago

Used properly, desoldering braid is OK. I prefer using my vacuum stations, but I do sometimes use a little braid under certain circumstances.

The stuff I'm using is from Radio Shack, whatever 'flavor' they sell. I got a bunch years ago when a few RS around me closed, and it was heavily discounted.

#5 9 years ago

I agree with john that used properly it's as good as any other method. As far as the best, I find that most brands are light on the flux so I just use whatever is available and add flux.

By the way if you're lifting pads with desoldering braid try adding some flux. It will dramatically reduce the dwell time.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I would suggest not using it. Great way to lift solder pads.

You're doing it wrong! Either you have jammed the solder wick in a through hole or used too much heat if you have lifted pads/vias with solder wick.

Chemtronics is about the best. I also add liquid flux in many cases. Dried out wick is about useless, it needs to have flux in it to work correctly. Storing it in a ziplock bag will help it keep longer.

I've been in commercial electronics for 25 years and it is my "go to" in many cases. Learn all the methods so you can tackle any situation.

#8 9 years ago

At first I never liked using braid, now I have a hard time desoldering without it. It is amazingly safe once you get used to it. Also, not all braid works the same. Oddly enough I've actually found radio shack's braid to be the best.

#9 9 years ago

I've also had good luck using the desoldering braid from Radio Shack. I stopped using that desoldering pump because it had a tendency to lift the solder pads. They were just to strong and aggressive on older boards with small solder pads.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You're doing it wrong! Either you have jammed the solder wick in a through hole or used too much heat if you have lifted pads/vias with solder wick.
    Chemtronics is about the best. I also add liquid flux in many cases. Dried out wick is about useless, it needs to have flux in it to work correctly. Storing it in a ziplock bag will help it keep longer.
    I've been in commercial electronics for 25 years and it is my "go to" in many cases. Learn all the methods so you can tackle any situation.

Probably. The last time I used braid on boardwork was about 8 years ago before I bought a pump de-soldering iron. Flux helped and even adding more solder to freshen it up so it wicks faster.

#11 9 years ago

I just used a spring loaded solder sucker today to change out the large 4-prong diodes on the power supply board. So much better than my method of using my mouth and a straw.

#12 9 years ago

I have a desoldering iron that I got from the shack many years ago. It has a bulb pump attached to the iron, looks like the old blood pressure cuff pumps. Works better than braid, but isn't very precise so not good on smaller repairs (like laptops and smartphones).

#13 9 years ago

I use a desoldering station when at home but carry braid in my tool bag. I used to use Radio Shack brand but last few times I bought some, it was junk. I only buy Chemtronics braid now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desoldering-braid-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.