5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RacingPin
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of making an original homebrew game (not a retheme). What things should I do to ensure that the playfield could be mass-produced as easily as possible if the game were to go into production at some distant time in the future?

My initial questions are:
    1. What standard parts are available and are likely to remain available in quantity? Is it just the parts in the "homebrew" section of the Pinball Life website or are there other sources?
    2. What design software and file formats should I be using to design the playfield to ensure that a manufacturer could produce it in quantity?

#2 5 years ago

Homepin was spruiking a few years back in doing small production runs of custom machines for boutiques so you could always contract it out to them.

Just make sure to insert time is of the essence and payment on delivery clauses into the contract.

#3 5 years ago

Have it all designed digitally in some cad software like solidworks or inventor

#4 5 years ago

Chicago Gaming could make the machine for you from start to finished machines. They've got all the parts.

If you want to do everything on your own, use Williams assemblies. They are widely available and virtually all of the reproduction Williams parts no longer have any Williams logos or trademarks on them. The patents on Williams slingshots, pop bumpers, hole kickers, and flippers have expired long ago.

Pinball Life has the best prices on most Williams parts. You might have to order individual pieces to make up an assembly though. Pinball Life sells complete Williams flipper assemblies with your choice of coil installed.

#5 5 years ago

The root question is really a tough one, and the only person who would really have a substantive answer is probably TheNoTrashCougar (Scott Danesi).

For my opinion, use a known CAD program and also use only parts you can buy in bulk. Supply chain is a pretty complicated thing, and someone like Terry at PBL might have some opinions as well on what parts to select. Ordering a set of flipper mechs is easy. Ordering 1000 of them is more complicated, not just putting in 1000 in the qty box.

I think flexibility on your part would be a huge thing as well. The game you build as a homebrew will not be the final game that ships. Being open to a company saying "it would be easier or more cost effective if we changed X to Y" is probably very important to the process.

#6 5 years ago

I'm working on a WWII machine and thought about that when I started. I've kinda concluded that for flippers, slingers, vuks, drops, posts and guides use anything that has proven reliability and then you can keep the cost down there. You can also purchase used. In the end a modern substitute can easily be made.

Ball trough I would use a new modern Stern one. The tricky piece are ramps and custom toys. These you can fabricate yourself but converting to something that can be manufactured I presume would get a head start if you have a 3D printable file.

If you can do the playfield in a CAD app and have it available for a CNC machine that would very beneficial.

Ultimately I figure getting a playable and enjoyable game will be the #1 thing to getting it manufactured/sellable

Mike V

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/designing-a-homebrew-playfield-with-a-view-to-future-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.