(Topic ID: 126854)

Design world article about the Spike system.

By Peppers

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hudson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 5 years ago

Wow, great read!

SPIKE uses RS-485!!! That's awesome!! That's what I picked for the Spaceballs boardset.

That also opens a lot of possibilities for mods. You could easily add something to the bus that could watch commands being sent back and forth and perform actions based on sniffing that traffic.

#3 5 years ago

Very cool. I'm interested to see if designers get to take advantage of the new flexibility and give us some new ideas.

#4 5 years ago

Yup great read, I have a question about power. How many extra mods that require power will the Spike system allow? Both 12v and 5v.

#5 5 years ago

It is nice to see innovation, long over due.

#6 5 years ago

Definitely an interesting article. It's written by Stern though. Thing like this line are very skewed/biased...
    "All in all, SPIKE is an exciting development in the pinball world as it represents the first complete redesign of pinball control system architecture in over 20 years."

First redesign of architecture for *STERN* in 20 years. There have been many redesigns of pinball control systems in the recent years... from PROC to Ben's system for AMH to what Chicago Gaming is using in MMr.

Jaz

#7 5 years ago

"The biggest change in pinball machines involves taking more advantage of the latest software development techniques. Having a platform that facilitates quick iterations while incorporating the latest technologies can greatly improve the development process."

I think that is a key point, and one that may not get enough attention when everyone complains about how long code updates take, or bugs in code.

I don't know much about what it's like to actually work on software on something like WhiteStar or SAM (I'd be interested in any articles/interviews on the subject if you know of any). But my guess is it's absolutely nothing like what most modern software developers (myself included) are used to from working on web sites, PC applications, mobile apps, etc. Nice IDE, unit testing frameworks, automated memory management, debugging and performance profiling tools, etc.

I think some stuff in the '90s may still have been done in assembly. I can't even imagine

Hopefully Spike will help them use modern software development tools and techniques to improve development speed and code reliability.

#8 5 years ago

The Spike system looks much better than what I have seen inside a JJP WOZ.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 12.95
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    JURASSIC PARK PREMIUM Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Other
    Cento Creations
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside