Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Hayfarmer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220730-220919_Chrome (resized).jpg
    610fl-jTVyL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
    Jon Anderson (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    C599F883-B0B0-4CDF-B6B6-FD2709ECBA78 (resized).jpeg
    R-7183661-1435604806-8967 (resized).jpg
    CFE76099-ECF6-435F-A778-C0D6313AC818 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Your stuck on a island and can only listen to one album the rest of your life. What do you choose? Honorable mentions accepted.

I'm torn between Metallica Kill Em All, Nirvana Nevermind and Eminem Slim Shady EP.

Honorable mention: Nevermind
    Desert Island: Slim Shady EP

#2 1 year ago

I love me some rock and roll but if it’s desert I’ll listen to a pretty voice give me Alina Baraz. Urban Flora pretty relaxing album.

#3 1 year ago

My honorable mention is my favorite album from my youth: Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
    My desert island is my favorite album from my wise old age: Jason Isbell - Southeastern

#4 1 year ago

Initial guess would be Dazed and Confused soundtrack. Not sure I could desert island with just one musical artist...

#5 1 year ago

Out of the Blue. Double Albums give you more tracks to choose from, too.

#6 1 year ago

When I was a young teen I found a cassette tape on the side of the road, with a bunch of the tape pulled out and crinkled. Those folks old enough to remember, cassette tapes often got a wrinkle or crease or stuck to a dirty roller in the cassette deck and then you popped it out and pulled out a bunch of spaghetti with it. Someone threw it out the car window. I picked it up and took it home, using the eraser end of a pencil to turn the wheels and wind the tape back in. The recording was Blue Oyster Cults first album in 1972. It ended up being stuck in my own cassette deck for a very long time, and the band is the one I have seen the most times live in concert.

There's a lot of contenders for a desert island album, because I love music...but this would have to be the one.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #7 1 year ago

Without a doubt, it would be Der Ring des Nibelungen - Vagner. I haven’t heard all of the recordings, but of those that I have, my favorite is: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra* Conducted By Georg Solti. If I had to choose from The Ring’s four parts, I’d pick Das Rheingold. If had to choose only one vinyl out of all, it would be Das Rheingold vinyl side 1 (with 6 on the back) so that I could capture the intro on 1, and finale on side 6.

CFE76099-ECF6-435F-A778-C0D6313AC818 (resized).jpegCFE76099-ECF6-435F-A778-C0D6313AC818 (resized).jpeg
    #8 1 year ago

Grateful Dead Europe ‘72. Works on a number of levels for hanging out in an island for an extended period of time.

#9 1 year ago

Toss up between one of two YES albums…

“GOING FOR THE ONE” or “CLOSE TO THE EDGE

#10 1 year ago

Some amazing choices here! I think I’m going with the first Alan Parsons Project album “Tales of Mystery & Imagination”.

#11 1 year ago

...if I had to pick today, it would be TYR. Overall, Dio is my favorite vocalist that Sabbath had, but TYR is the Sabbath album I go back to most--Tony Martin is incredible, and underappreciated IMO.

Otherwise, Devin Townsend's "Contain Us" box set if that counts.

R-7183661-1435604806-8967 (resized).jpgR-7183661-1435604806-8967 (resized).jpg

#12 1 year ago

+1 on the double albums !
    Thus I'll go for Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Honorable mention : Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

#13 1 year ago

Desert island - Led Zeppelin II

Honorable mention - The Rolling Stones - Forty Licks

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Out of the Blue. Double Albums give you more tracks to choose from, too.

+1 on this. Some great stuff on here.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

...if I had to pick today, it would be TYR. Overall, Dio is my favorite vocalist that Sabbath had, but TYR is the Sabbath album I go back to most--Tony Martin is incredible, and underappreciated IMO.
    Otherwise, Devin Townsend's "Contain Us" box set if that counts.
    [quoted image]

Wow! Not even Cross Purposes, huh?

Dutch artist Ayreon put out a side project “Star One” this year, and Tony guested on one song. He sounds awesome as ever

#16 1 year ago

It would be a toss up between Fleetwood Mac Mirage or Johnny Cash Silver.

#17 1 year ago

C599F883-B0B0-4CDF-B6B6-FD2709ECBA78 (resized).jpegC599F883-B0B0-4CDF-B6B6-FD2709ECBA78 (resized).jpeg

#18 1 year ago

Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints

Honorable mention: TOOL - Lateralus

#19 1 year ago

Hands down I'm going with Stevland Hardaway Morris

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #20 1 year ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

Toss up between one of two YES albums…
    “GOING FOR THE ONE” or “CLOSE TO THE EDGE

I was fortunate to see Tales in New Haven Ct. Actually it was one of 2 concerts they played on that tour that included all 4 "pieces". They opened up with all of Close to the Edge, intermission then Tales. It was professionally "filmed" but nothing came of the footage. (I have my theories as many many years later I toured with Jon creating his backdrop and projecting as he played - attached). But, Tales is an acquired taste, however the set design is exactly what you see in any modern pinball machine color changing lights behind moving plastic (huge fiberglass sculptures, the truck space it took up was insane which comes down to $$$$) Tales would be amazing, but would sell maybe a couple of hundred units.

Jon Anderson (resized).jpgJon Anderson (resized).jpg
    #21 1 year ago
    610fl-jTVyL._SX425_ (resized).jpg610fl-jTVyL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
    #22 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm torn between Metallica Kill Em All

Great choice! Think I'd go with Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" though.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow! Not even Cross Purposes, huh?
    Dutch artist Ayreon put out a side project “Star One” this year, and Tony guested on one song. He sounds awesome as ever

I am familiar with Arjen Lucassen's work (first learned of him in the late 90s). Lots of amazing projects (Devin Townsend I mentioned has also worked with him of course).

Otherwise, I do prefer both TYR and Headless Cross to Cross Purposes .

#24 1 year ago

Like the dazed and confused soundtrack suggestion. Although the best song Hurricane by Bob Dylan isn't included on it, a really good candidate. So many great songs and can relive my 2nd favorite movie in the scenes they appeared

#25 1 year ago

Electric Ladyland

Screenshot_20220730-220919_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220730-220919_Chrome (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desert-album-challenge-?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.