11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Inspired by Bowen Kerins recent comment that playing pinball competitively is like 'a cross between golf and bull riding' I thought it'd be good to hear forumites' trying to boil down the essence of what pinball is and why it can be so great. My friend is a teacher and loves pinball but when his pupils recently asked what the big deal is, he struggled to put it into words. They just saw it as a game with a ball bouncing around. Everyone here I'm sure knows there is more to it than that but sometimes it's good to identify exactly what we love about it.

For me it's about the physics largely. Feeling the angles and predicting where the ball will go is exciting to me. Combine that with clever mechanisms and toys with satisfying reactions and it gets so much better. Perhaps my favourite part of pinball is the way that sound and lights are created in a semi random way that make you feel like you are playing music and the pinball is your instrument.

#2 11 years ago

For me, pinball is a lifelong metaphor. Regardless of how skillful, educated, knowledgable you become of the game......you're never in control.

#3 11 years ago

I just tell people that there are actually goals/rules and you need to complete specific shots to make that happen. Once they understand there are others goals and skill required they understand. Most usually reply, "Really?! I just thought you banged the little ball around."

#4 11 years ago

"How much do they cost?" is allways the question the uninitiated people ask me now. I tell them I learned two things very quickly about cost:
    1. In general, more recent machines actually cost more than older machines
    2. Whatever you would guess the price is for a NIB machine, take that number and double or triple it, and that is how much they actually cost.

#5 11 years ago

I always explained it as, There is a ton of skill involved I show them some pinball 101 on my iphone. Then I say something along the lines of for around 2 bucks i can play for 30-45 mins on a game that is in pretty good shape. And its really fun nothing beats hearing the machine scream jackpot, double jackpot, super jackpot. its awesome

#6 11 years ago

I like to compare it to billiards (originally based off a billiard-like table), but it's a multi-walled playing field (unlike billiards). And then you toss in multiple balls, and the game becomes that of multi-tasking. Also, it's a constant struggle of keeping the ball from the drain.

Another metaphor, it's like playing baseball (flipper bats), cept you never have to play outfield, You are always at bat.

#7 11 years ago

Like playing offense and defense at the same time (that's from some TV segment on Portland's pinball prominence).

#8 11 years ago

I explained pinball to my cousins that are all under 18 but above 10yo. I showed them my TSPP and they all loved playing it and want to see me get another one! Even better, they knew not to double-flip.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/describing-pinball-to-the-uninitiated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.