Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should people be able to profit from a “spot”?”

• Yes - it’s capitalism, get over it 73 votes
      54%
    • No - it’s helping to ruin the hobby 61 votes
      46%

(134 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D98A93D2-73BB-4D1F-9A80-594B0487FD6C.gif
    giphy (5).gif
    4F66D13B-95CF-468A-9EAA-0AE253355906 (resized).jpeg
    7D5BA87D-B508-4E33-801B-9F3863E2E6F0 (resized).jpeg
    84FAB678-7C9A-4196-BFA2-C699775BD9AB.gif
    Newman (resized).jpg
    grumpyoldmen (resized).jpg
    There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 2 years ago

People will do anything to make a buck, especially if it costs them nothing. People simply need to get over the missing out, and not reward these types, let them deal with paying or losing deposits and they will move on to the next hobby.
    It's no secret at this point there are a ton of people with disposable income flooding this scene more than ever, and they have enough F you money that this doesn't hurt them in the slightest, so I have little faith things will change any time soon.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

So it seems like many of you think you can just get an LE of the next game buy calling and getting on a list? Go try and do it. While your at it go get yourself a Rolex Daytona, get on that list also and see which one comes first....

So how do does it actually work? I’ve never pre-ordered an LE.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

If you paid the bridge troll before the billy goats threw him in the river, you didn't get a nicer, safer, more expedient bridge crossing experience. You just paid to get the troll out of your way. It's not entrepreneurial behavior, it's freeloading based on being big, strong, and scary in the case of the troll in the fable, and based on being successful at buying it first in the case of present day scalpers. Instead of using their time, talents, and energy to be doing or making something of actual value, they contribute nothing more than making money by getting in the way.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When I sit one of these out, about 20 people beg me to come back in!

Can I be #1 on the list of people begging you not to come back in? why do you have to be such a dick about everything? If you have an opinion, by all means voice it....but it's like you have this "I'm an ass" reputation you have to live up to with each post. Is your life really that empty that you have to come to Pinside and berate someone on a message board to make yourself feel better?

How about we all just admit you are better at pinball than all of us, you know more about everything than all of us, and you are just an all around better person than any of us will ever be? If we admit that will you stop attacking everyone that starts a thread you don't like?

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Can I be #1 on the list of people begging you not to come back in? why do you have to be such a dick about everything? If you have an opinion, by all means voice it....but it's like you have this "I'm an ass" reputation you have to live up to with each post. Is your life really that empty that you have to come to Pinside and berate someone on a message board to make yourself feel better?
    How about we all just admit you are better at pinball than all of us, you know more about everything than all of us, and you are just an all around better person than any of us will ever be? If we admit that will you stop attacking everyone that starts a thread you don't like?

DEEP technique. Do not: Defend Engage Explain or Personalize. He might not check enough boxes to qualify for NPD in the DSM5; but it's close enough where this strategy should work fine.

#106 2 years ago

"You are a dick with no life who lives an empty existence! Also, why do you keep attacking people with mean words?"

Well played, Manimal!

#107 2 years ago

I don’t take @crazylevi’s criticism personally. I’m actually feeling honored that he chose to mix it up with me today, instead of someone less deserving of his attention. We’re good.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from tallkid84:

DEEP technique.

I prefer DERP technique myself.

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"You are a dick with no life who lives an empty existence! Also, why do you keep attacking people with mean words?"
    Well played, Manimal!

Yea, my questions were purposeful. I figure the difference between you and I, is that I am not here 24/7 and in and out of every thread attacking people and trying to make them feel inferior. I'll just stick to this one.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I don’t take CrazyLevi’s criticism personally. I’m actually feeling honored that he chose to mix it up with me today, instead of someone less deserving of his attention. We’re good.

Precisely.

People who have zero wit and resort to lame "mom's basement" attacks do not deserve my attention and won't be getting any more of it. You however have proven to be a worthy adversary, and have really made me think about the consequences of flipping and why distributors should be working over time to halt the practice!!!

(well, at least half that statement is true)

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well played, Manimal!

I've met you and you just seem like a relatively normal cool New York dude who is into pinball. Not sure why people get so up in arms about your posts. You've always responded when I've reached out with a question about something locally and tried to offer advice or help, and I didn't know you from Adam. Not like you need any back up in here. But just thought I'd chime in with a personal endorsement.

That said, I'm with the OP on this one. Profiteering is crappy, whether its "permitted" or not. Although I don't feel too bad for distributors, either, as I've seen them jack up prices as their allotment gets low only to drop the price as stock comes back in. So the guy who buys in at the wrong time ends up getting the shaft. But amusement games have always been the domain of carnies and con men, so it shouldn't be that surprising regardless.

#112 2 years ago

Good or bad, evil or not, the market in action or profiteering..................
    It's all academic and discussion really doesn't matter, since there is no way to enforce any kind of rule about selling spots or games.
    Who would monitor it?
    How would it be enforced?
    What's the penalty for violating whatever the rule would be?
    It's just not practical to prevent, so it will happen on some level.

#113 2 years ago

I would think some distributors already keep internal lists of flippers, and move them towards the back of the line in favor of location buyers and players...

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

there is no way to enforce any kind of rule about selling spots or games.

Say what? If I’m a distributor, all I have to do is say “No, you can’t sell your spot. If you want a refund, I’ll give it to you and give your spot to the next person on my list of potential customers.” If you mean that there’s no way to force distributors to do this, I agree and I’m not suggesting that.

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If I’m a distributor, all I have to do is say “No, you can’t sell your spot. If you want a refund, I’ll give it to you and give your spot to the next person on my list of potential customers.”

These days with far more demand than supply, Stern distributors can pick and choose who gets their limited LE slots. Some may do "first come, first served," but most probably prioritize long-term or repeat customers as part of the whole "good will" process. And if they know you're regularly flipping LE slots I imagine some would pass you over next time around on the theory that you're more likely to be "loyal" if you're actually keeping the machines you buy. This would seems easier for the distributor than refusing to allow transfer of the pre-order slot (in which case they've now got to collect from an upset buyer when the game actually ships).

I also wonder what percentage of buyers are actually flipping LE slots these days. I haven't looked into it but would be a little surprised if it were higher than 5-10%.

#116 2 years ago

I don't see how that solves anything in this market. Nothing is stopping you from putting a deposit on your own GZ premium. If someone wants to pay $3000 extra to get one faster, who cares? People pay extra for convenience/faster delivery all the time. If you prevent that, there is nothing stopping that person from just taking ownership of game and immediately flipping it. In short, you are not going to fix high prices and shortages with these little games.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

These days with far more demand than supply, Stern distributors can pick and choose who gets their limited LE slots

Yeah, I’d be pleasantly surprised if I could get an LE slot, since I’m only buying 1 game a year at most. It’s like WOPR says in War Games: “The only way to win is not to play.”

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When I sit one of these out, about 20 people beg me to come back in!

If 20 people begged you to jump off the top of a skyscraper, would you?

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I don’t take CrazyLevi’s criticism personally. I’m actually feeling honored that he chose to mix it up with me today, instead of someone less deserving of his attention. We’re good.

Good spirit as I enjoy reading content from the both of you on here.

#120 2 years ago

if Distributors are giving priority to ‘regulars’ it precludes others from getting a spot. In a world where the LEs sell out immediately, and distros have lists of interested buyers it does make sense that they should only offer refunds of deposits and go to next person on list. It is not much more work for them thean getting the new owner info (which they have to do anyway) and refunding the deposit of the dropout.

Levi wants to treat the deposit like a stock option (the right to buy the game for MSRP), which is fungible. I get the capitalist take, but it isn’t fair where the initial deposits taken are limited to a select group of regulars in perpetuity. [I’m still upset about Automated never getting back to me about CCRLE]

The solution, which I would choose, is for manufacturers to stop making limited editions of 1000 or 1200. Make 3500+ They will all sell and everyone who wants one can get it and no one will sell a spot for profit.

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Make it to where the deposit is non-refundable and slots cannot be sold. You either get in line or stay the fuck out.
    Guarantee people will stop that shit real quick.

This option I can get behind but I"m sure the distributors that did this would get flamed mercilessly on here and in other places.

The practice that really bothers me more is are the guys that are on every distributors "list", particularly the ones that don't take a deposit. Makes it real hard to figure out when you might get a game and how many people are in front of you. I can only imagine the extra work on the distributors.

#122 2 years ago

Boy oh boy, you guys waste a lot of time and effort on some things that are WAY out of your control in this hobby.

Chill. Enjoy the games you have, focus on yourself, don't worry about keeping up with other Pinsiders. These are literally stupid fucking pinball machines.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Make 3500+ They will all sell and everyone who wants one can get it and no one will sell a spot for profit.

Thing is the OP started this thread over a Stern Premium preorder. What a weird time.

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Thing is the OP started this thread over a Stern Premium preorder. What a weird time.

Yeah, that’s what I thought was crazy. 300% profit on a Stern Premium deposit?? But heck, we live in a time when lightly used pins are going for more than new. Go home pinball market, you’re drunk.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Yeah, that’s what I thought was crazy. 300% profit on a Stern Premium deposit?? But heck, we live in a time when lightly used pins are going for more than new. Go home pinball market, you’re drunk.

Would you be happier if they took delivery of the game, and flipped it for $2000 more than the NIB price. Technically they would only make a 20% profit.

For the flipper it doesn't matter where in the chain they make the profit, but it is a hell of a lot less work to flip a deposit instead of a physical game for the same amount of money.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from La4s:

Would you be happier if they took delivery of the game, and flipped it for $2000 more than the NIB price. Technically would only make a 20% profit.

I don’t GAF at this point. If Pinside wants to cheerlead these guys, so be it. I’m going to spend the next month getting Lightning and Mata Hari ready for SFGE.

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I don’t GAF at this point. If Pinside wants to cheerlead these guys, so be it. I’m going to spend the next month getting Lightning and Mata Hari ready for SFGE.

Acceptance - rather than bargaining (hoping a higher power institutes some sort of control where none is possible), anger, and even denial - is definitely the way to go here.

You’ll be happier in the long run, and seem well on your way!

1 month later
    #128 2 years ago

I just sold one of my 4 haggis fathom mermaid pre order spots on pinside yesterday. I paid the $55 pinside fee they charge for selling an actual $10k-$15k NIB pinball game when what I actually sold was a much less expensive preorder. Pinside benefited, I benefited and the buyer benefited because he got in on a game he otherwise would not have been able to. Win-win-win.

Swampfire (john) ripped me a new one over my $1345 profit... calling me a "D*BAG" and more. His negativity got us both moderated and kicked off the Haggis thread for 2 days. SMH

I sought out, tracked down, put the time in, found and paid $4400 (total) for all 4 game deposits months ago. They're mine. I own them just like I'll own the pinball games they're attached to when they are made.

What's the difference if I sell the preorder for a profit now or wait until the game is delivered to my home and then sell the NIB game for a profit? What if I take it out of the box, play it for a year and then sell it for a profit? It's all the same thing.

Now, if what people are unhappy about is "a small group of pinballer guys on the inside" who are in on premium/LE lists with distributors and automatically have a spot on every game without putting down any money on the game... and then they sell that spot for even $1... that to me is wrong. You shouldn't be able to do that. I don't know how distro sales work. I've never bought one from a distro. I wouldn't think you could just say... "yea put me on the list for a godzilla LE, I'll pay in full when it comes in." I'd think you'd need to put down money to hold the spot?

#129 2 years ago

I don't think it's the profit so much as taking spots away from others. Sounds like you bought 4 Fathom spots with intent to profit. I don't care but I can see that being frustrating for others.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I sought out, tracked down, put the time in, found and paid $4400 (total) for all 4 game deposits months ago. They're mine.

Buying 4 preorder spots is the problem. You only did that to take advantage of others, who can’t buy a preorder spot because of greedy people that buy multiple spots.

#131 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't think it's the profit so much as taking spots away from others. Sounds like you bought 4 Fathom spots with intent to profit. I don't care but I can see that being frustrating for others.

Yes, but I bought them long after all 250 were sold out. I didn't get any of these spots at the initial offering. The 4 spots are from people who got tired of waiting and just wanted their non refundable deposit back. I bought the spots one at a time as they came up for sale.

I bailed them out in a sense and kept 4 antsy people from complaining publicly about haggis' delays.

Haggis wins by having less bad publicity, the sellers win by getting their non refundable deposits back and I win by maybe being able to sell the preorder (or the actual game) at a profit after many months of having my money tied up. Win-win-win.

#132 2 years ago

I thought this Haggis Mermaid machine was dead ? They are still making it!?

#133 2 years ago

Ah yes, scalpers just doing us all a favor. I've heard it for decades with concert tickets, posters, sneakers, you name it. Thanks for all the value you add to society!

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Yes, but I bought them long after all 250 were sold out. I didn't get any of these spots at the initial offering. The 4 spots are from people who got tired of waiting and just wanted their non refundable deposit back. I bought the spots one at a time as they came up for sale.
    I bailed them out in a sense and kept 4 antsy people from complaining publicly about haggis' delays.
    Haggis wins by having less bad publicity, the sellers win by getting their non refundable deposits back and I win by maybe being able to sell the preorder (or the actual game) at a profit after many months of having my money tied up. Win-win-win.

Or, if you didn’t buy up four spots maybe those people you took an extra $1300 from would have bought the spot and actually kept the game.

You can scalp preorder spots if you want, just don’t expect others to cheerlead you while you do so.

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

You can scalp preorder spots if you want, just don’t expect others to cheerlead you while you do so.

Not expecting that at all. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with the practice.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Not expecting that at all. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with the practice.

And that is a matter of opinion. If you ask the people who had to pay $1300 more for their game because you bought four spots they might have a different opinion.

I’m not against people making money in pinball, I buy project games, fix them up and often resell them for a profit. I’m putting my labor in there though. It’s harder for me to justify reselling a preorder spot. At that point it’s more of a predation on a market. Again, my opinion. What you are doing isn’t illegal, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t considered wrong by some people.

#137 2 years ago

And that is a matter of opinion. If you ask the people who had to pay $1300 more for their game because you bought four spots they might have a different opinion.

The "people" you mention could have bought the exact same 4 spots that I did. It's called hustling. I didn't just add 4 fathom mermaids to my cart back when they went live for sale. I've been buying the spots from others (over the last 6 months) who wanted out of their non refundable preorders. I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything, just offering it for sale.

And, you're right it is a matter of opinion. 57% of those polled agree with me. 43% agree with you.

#138 2 years ago

If the poll said "is it cool to buy 4 spots with the intent of scalping at least 3 of them," you might see different percentages. Selling one spot doesn't seem as dirty to most folks.

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

It's called hustling.

Everyone loves a hustler ...

Newman (resized).jpgNewman (resized).jpg
    #140 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

The "people" you mention could have bought the exact same 4 spots that I did. It's called hustling. I didn't just add 4 fathom mermaids to my cart back when they went live for sale. I've been buying the spots from others (over the last 6 months) who wanted out of their non refundable preorders. I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything, just offering it for sale.
    And, you're right it is a matter of opinion. 57% of those polled agree with me. 43% agree with you.

Look man, if you are trying to justify this to yourself go ahead. You aren’t going to convince many people that you pocketing $5200 from scalping four fathom spots is a noble and honorable thing to do.

There’s no difference between what you are doing and someone scalping tickets to an event. Some people consider that a predatory way to make a buck. The fact that you bought four spots for a game with the apparent sole purpose of scalping them isn’t helping your case either.

#141 2 years ago

Yeah I know a person who "hustles" aka scoops up vinyl off elderly people and widows then turns around and charges 100% or more than what he pays.
    Is it illegal? No, but human beings have this unique ability to convince themselves something is totally fine if it suits them - all it takes is for you to block out that conscious (well if you had one to begin with)

There is falling into an incredible deal, and then there is a pre-meditated approach which raises the cost of entry and diminishes enjoyment for everyone in a hobby who are in there to have fun. No one cares about how hard of work it was to screw someone out of their hobby.

#142 2 years ago
    84FAB678-7C9A-4196-BFA2-C699775BD9AB.gif84FAB678-7C9A-4196-BFA2-C699775BD9AB.gif
    #143 2 years ago

If there is a plate of donuts put out for a group of people, I will eat all of them… because fuck those guys.

#144 2 years ago

Thank heavens I have as much free time as you people to argue about this stupid shit.......

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

If there is a plate of donuts put out for a group of people, I will eat all of them… because fuck those guys.

You’re the dude that ate Loser Kids pizza at TPF aren’t you?!?!

#146 2 years ago

You’re the dude that ate Loser Kids pizza at TPF aren’t you?!?!

If I would have gone to TPF… I would have eaten all the pizza. All the pizza is mine.

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

A true hustler would also take the plate.

#148 2 years ago

What d0n is not saying, or covering up in some ways is that he bought the spots from people who were scared with all the negative shit that is being tossed at haggis that they were going to loose their deposit as the company was going under.

Then d0n 180'ed his position, and though he claims to be the protector of Haggis's rep from 3 worried people here, he was trashing the company with his fears that now HE was going to loose 4 deposits.
    He bought the spots with the stated intention of selling the games once they were delivered at a profit. All good. He bought the spots at cost (or below, who knows), didn't pay a premium.

Then he starts getting scared, calling out Haggis and has stated in that thread that he's now selling spots to 'hedge his bets'. All good.

But, he's selling those spots at a profit, not all good, and he's not stating his fears that there is risk involved in the ad, but in the thread saying that people should do their own research and 'put their big boy pants on'.

I think it's despicable behaviour and that he's cheating the community that supports him. Pinballers pay his rent for fucks sake.

If you are worried d0n and want to 'hedge your bets' then do the responsible thing that the people who sold your spots to did, and get out at cost. We are a community here, stop preying on your brothers and sisters.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A true hustler would also take the plate.

A true hustler would take the plate, cut the donuts into bites, sell them outside of planet fitness and raffle off the plate as rare/antique. Selling tickets with no intention of ever having a drawing. I call it deeprooting for short!

#150 2 years ago

Greedy people look at the world as a zero-sum game. Instead of thinking that everyone would benefit as the pie gets larger, they view the pie as a constant and want to have the biggest part. They truly believe that they deserve more, even if it comes at someone else's expense.

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deposit-profiteering-we-can-fix-this/page/3?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.