6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GLModular
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

What better place to get some suggestions for my upcoming trip than Pinside?!

I'll be spending a few days at Winter Park with a bunch of friends and am looking for some suggestions.

First, are Safeway and King Sooper still doing discounted lift tickets to the local slopes? If so, anyone know what the current daily rate, or if they offer 2 of 3 and 3 of 5 rates for Winter Park? It's been a few years since I've been out there, but I recall they had good deals the last time I was there.

Second, I'm flying in early on a Friday, so I'm looking for some things to do Friday afternoon/evening. Particularly interested in any local brew or spirit houses in the Denver area. Also interested in a good fine dining experience. A place known for good cocktails and possibly food with an international flair or just plain eclectic. Partial to Italian, mediterranean, ethiopian, and the like, but pretty much game for about anything unusual, unique, it just has to be mind-blowing good!

Of course, anything pinball related is also welcome.

Let me know what you can recommend. I greatly appreciate any and all recommendations!

Also, if anyone wants to join up and make it a party, PM/email me for details.

Thanks!

Tony

#2 6 years ago

As far as Denver, the central downtown area has a large number of brew pubs, theme restaurants (everything you listed) in a relative small area. Even pinball....1UP, 2UP. Too many good places to list. I'm sure other local Pinsiders will give their favorites, but I prefer to try a different one every time I dine down there. My wife likes the Red Square Euro Bistro (vodka bar/restaurant) and the Vesta Dipping Grill (specializing in food dipped in sauces, duh). Just a few to think about.

#3 6 years ago

Lyons, CO
    http://www.lyonspinball.com/

It is probably 1-1.5 hours from Denver but well worth the trip. Hours are somewhat screwy but look into it as usually open on Friday evening I think?

#4 6 years ago

Yep....very true...Lyons IS a great place to get your pinball fix if you have the time. Whenever I'm up that way I go out of my way to visit and talk with the owner, good guy.

#5 6 years ago

Hey G.L.M. as for Beer-try New Probst Brewery and Denver Beer Company-great guys just opened a year ago and doing great things. The 1 up and 2 up a must. Catch a local concert-lots of great bands-check westword. My favorite restaurant-Le Central- french cuisine. They change their menu daily based on season-mussels to die for,etc....also inexpensive. Cocktails for conservative-Elways inside Four Seasons otherwise if your into it-Diamond Caberet and Shotgun Willies-Never leave there without a smile on your face. Sometimes I will bring wife and she gets a kick out of it too. Good margaritas at Benny's and Rio Grande Rest-3 Drink limit-knock you on your butt. As for lift tickets-may check into pass depending how many days you are skiing. Hope you have a great time while you are here and enjoy our great city!

#6 6 years ago

Hey Tony, I'm not sure when you are coming but try to take advantage of 5280 restaurant week. You can pick from a ton of places, it's all $52.80 for 2 plus drinks and tips.

http://www.denver.org/denverrestaurant/

The wife and I are hitting Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian steakhouse. It's delicious and normally $60 or so per person.

http://www.denver.org/denverrestaurant/menu?id=381&Fogo+de+Ch%C3%A3o

#7 6 years ago

You must go to Lyons. Then have dinner in Boulder. There are a ton of great places there from fine dining to brewpubs, and you can take highway 6 to the interstate so you are not driving back through golden.

#8 6 years ago

Also, you hit C470 just as you leave the airport and if you head North you will get to I25 on the north side of denver and well on the way to Lyons. There is a highway (36) from Lyons to Boulder.

#9 6 years ago

Flipper McGills in Idaho Springs. You will hit it on the way from Denver to WP. If you fill up your tank (10 gal) you receive a BOGO ticket for copper mountain or WP.

Definitely check out 1up and 2up. Great spots, great machines.

#10 6 years ago

Stop by and check out game exchange just south of 6th ave and I 25 as well. They have a huge selection on pins for sale that can be played and JJ is a supporter of pinside...

#11 6 years ago

One of the old pinside moderators is Maldoror. He ownes Flipper McGills. His store is in Idaho Springs which is the turn off for Winter Park. The pizza place next store used to have great pizza. Haven't been there in years tho so not sure if it is still any good.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

Unfortunately I won't be there for the Denver restaurant week.

Took a look at a few of the restaurants mentioned.

Vesta Dipping Grill is definitely a possibility. The cocktail list looks very interesting. Plus it's literally a block away from 1up and Falling Rock Tap House. Beer and pinball!

Root Down has a very_ tantalizing menu and ridiculous drink menu. Anyone been there? Plus Denver Beer Co. is not far away and I'm quite excited to try their graham cracker porter. I'm a porter beer junkie...

Another restaurant that caught my eye is Rioja. Anyone been there?

I'll take a look at other suggestions as time permits.

Not sure if it will be easy to make it up to Lyon's or not. Won't rule it out though!

Thanks all!

Tony

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLModular:

Vesta Dipping Grill is definitely a possibility. The cocktail list looks very interesting. Plus it's literally a block away from 1up and Falling Rock Tap House. Beer and pinball!
    Root Down has a very_ tantalizing menu and ridiculous drink menu. Anyone been there? Plus Denver Beer Co. is not far away and I'm quite excited to try their graham cracker porter. I'm a porter beer junkie...
    Not sure if it will be easy to make it up to Lyon's or not. Won't rule it out though!
    Thanks all!
    Tony

Yes come by and see us too! over 50 pinballs on our showroom all setup for free play! 1up and 2 up are great as are some of the other places people mentioned. How many days will you be in Denver? I believe Kings and Safeway still do discounted tickets but I will look into that for you.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLModular:

Thanks all!
    Tony

Rioja is great.

#15 6 years ago

Try this place right off Larimer Square
    http://euclidhall.com/
    Great beer and quality food. I think I had the Duck Fries and the sausage sampler plate.
    The Duck Fries are unreal.

When in WP, head over to the Foundry, it's a bar, movie theater, bowling alley and even has two pinball machines. Great place. There is a LW3 at the arcade by the parking lot gondolas at the base as well. The Cheeky Monkey is a good place for beer.

BTW- we just got dumped on with fresh snow in WP.

#16 6 years ago

I second Euclid if you are looking for something different.

#17 6 years ago

Euclid also looks great! (looks like it's in the family of Rioja and Bistro Vendome, so that's a plus).

Also came across The Squeaky Bean. Might be a bit too avant garde for the group I'll be with, but would love to try them one day.

This is going to be a really hard choice to narrow it down.

GEX, thanks for checking out the grocery stores, I do appreciate it! Would definitely like to stop by and see your shop.

The group I'm with plans on 3 days at WP. I'll probably be either dead or in traction after two. Friday will be the only day that is pretty much open.

Tony

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 305.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 12.75
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside