Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbs up.jpg
image.jpg
!!!!!classact.jpg
image-435.jpg
image.jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Realized about a week ago that Dennis Nordman was a member of pinside. I decided to send him a quick note letting him know how much my youngest son likes our Indy 500.

Indy was our first pin, and it's been something Zach has liked since he was little. After I sold a couple pins recently he made me promise (quite adamantly) that I would never sell it.

In the note to Dennis, I told him about my promise to Zach and told him maybe I could find him at a pinball convention someday to get Zach's translite signed.

As we had subsequent conversations, I told Dennis how Zach would be having his last round of chemo on Saturday night (after a 3 year 3 month battle with cancer). Dennis, after finding out we live 30-40 minutes away, asked if Zach might be interested in playing him at Indy 500...at our house!

So this morning, Dennis and his wonderful wife stopped by to meet Zach and play some pinball! Zach was thrilled! Dennis also brought him an actual banner from a past Indianpolis 500 race, some signed flyers, and toys from Indy 500 and Demolition Man! Before they left, Dennis signed Zach's Indy 500 translite.

I can't fully express in words what the visit meant to Zach. From the moment Zach first screamed from upstairs this morning, "He's here!" I could tell it made his (and our) day.

What a great guy! What a great day! Thanks for making my son's end of chemo weekend even brighter!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-435.jpgimage-435.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Pinside is a great community. Thanks for sharing. Norman...thank you.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Pinside is a great community. Thanks for sharing. Norman...thank you.

+1

#4 9 years ago

Great story. Thanks for letting us know about it--and very best wishes to your son.

#5 9 years ago

Wow! That's really wonderful! Thoughts to Zach!

#6 9 years ago

Awesome! Best wishes to your son.

#7 9 years ago

And if you all need us we're here. You know pinside is known for raising a little $$$ to help each other out when needed

#8 9 years ago

Dennis is a true gentleman.

#9 9 years ago

That is beyond cool, on so many levels!

I still consider Dennis to be my favorite designer (ironically I just got home with an I500 myself 3 hours ago). Sounds like he's a heck of a great guy too.

Thanks for sharing!

#10 9 years ago

Best wishes to your son! Thats an amazing story. Truly.

#11 9 years ago

Truly a class act, nice work Dennis! Indy 500 is a fun game, I've only recently got a chance to play it. Was a prototype actually, so might not have played 100% right. It's like if you took my Elvira and sexed it up with more rules and a 3rd flipper, and who could argue with that?!

#12 9 years ago

A W E S O M E !!!!!

Congrats to the end of chemo!

p.s. FUCK CANCER!

#13 9 years ago

What an inspiring and awesome story. A great reminder to never take life and good health for granted.

Thumbs up to Dennis and his wife for making a lifelong memory for such a special boy and wonderful family.

Stay well Zach and keep on flippin!

#14 9 years ago

Thank you for sharing. Huge thank you to Dennis !

LTG : )™

#15 9 years ago

Awesome story. Best wishes to you and your son.
Kudos to Dennis.

#16 9 years ago

What a great story. Just goes to show the wonderful you can meet in this hobby. Best wishes to your son and Dennis you are one stand up guy.

#18 9 years ago

Awesome story and I have to say it doesn't surprise me. Dennis truly is a class act. Back at my first ever pinball convention he made my day by signing my Demolition Man flyer and posing with me for a picture. We posed by the Big Juicy Melons white wood since the only Demolition Man at the MGC that year was being used in the tournament. He was ready to bust in there and have them wait while we took a picture though if I really wanted to. He really took the time to be nice to me and super accommodating when he didn't have to be and it was appreciated. He's a fantastic pinball designer and an ever better person. Thank you again for doing what you do Dennis.

!!!!!classact.jpg!!!!!classact.jpg

#19 9 years ago

amazing story, thanks for sharing and congrats on your son's final round of treatment.

#20 9 years ago

my tears are with you and Zach great story

#21 9 years ago

What a great story and Dennis if your reading this Thank You for helping Zach like you did, both of you will sleep better tonight.

#22 9 years ago

That's an amazing story. Kudos to Dennis for giving support. My best wishes to you and Zach.

#23 9 years ago

Best wishes for Zach and Thanks Dennis for being you!

#24 9 years ago

So... not only Dennis looks like a gentleman, but he is one actually !
Great story, thanks for sharing and best wishes to Zach.

#25 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Now to wipe up the tears before work.

#26 9 years ago

God bless you, your son and Dennis. Great looking Indy by the way. They are usually faded.

#27 9 years ago

Joe, it was nice to meet your family and play a game of I500 with Zach. He's developing some playing skills! (He beat me!) Your game is in beautiful shape. You should check to see if Cliffy makes a hole protector for the lock hole, that's the only wear I noticed.

I'm glad Zach is finished with his chemo and hope he stays healthy. He's a great kid (and so is Coen). It was a pleasure and a privilege to play a game with him. The fact that he loves I500 just made my day!

Dennis

#28 9 years ago

Too cool! Very nice gesture.

#29 9 years ago

What a cool story. Pinball is so cool and so are most of the people you meet in the hobby. Thanks for sharing!

Ck

#30 9 years ago

That sounds like the Dennis Nordman I know

I'm glad Zach is done with chemo, and hope he doesn't have to have anymore!

#31 9 years ago

That's good news all around. Our pinball heroes just keep getting better with age.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisNordman:

You should check to see if Cliffy makes a hole protector for the lock hole, that's the only wear I noticed.

Cliffy certainly does make a protector for this lock hole and I've had one installed on my I500 since I got it.

http://passionforpinball.com/i500.htm

#33 9 years ago

Wow that's really really cool. Glad to hear your son had a good time. Nice work Nordman.

#34 9 years ago

Fantastic Post and story.

Dennis designed Heighway Pinball's next game. Did you happen to try and pry what he may have designed from Dennis himself?

#35 9 years ago

Great story...Dennis sounds like a great guy.

--Luke

#36 9 years ago

Great story, and thanks for sharing it! Dennis is a class act.

#37 9 years ago

Finishing chemo, and getting to meet pinball royalty...way to go Zach!

#38 9 years ago

Lets hope this is his last round of treatment ever. F Cancer big time. What a class act Dennis is. Makes me love all his games even more. Hang in there Zach. Life gets WAY better from here. Best wishes from our family to yours!

#39 9 years ago

Very touching story. Thanks for sharing!

#40 9 years ago

Really cool! I wish your son a speedy recovery!

#41 9 years ago

Nordman is a class act! Awesome story!

#43 9 years ago

What a great story. Dennis is truly a class act. Hope everything goes well for your son in the future.

#44 9 years ago

What an absolutely wonderful way to mark the end of what I am sure was a tough time for the entire family!

I've met Dennis Nordman a few times, and I've always been struck at how genuinely appreciative he is of his fans, and how interested he is in what the machines he designed mean to the people who have become their caretakers. He's just an all-around class act!

I'm sure that is a day that won't be soon forgotten, and thank you for sharing that with your fellow Pinsiders!

#45 9 years ago

As I said on his own post of this, I've never thought less of Dennis. Great game maker, great person. This just solidified how much of an asset he is to the pin community and how much of a heart he has. Made my day seeing this on FB.

#46 9 years ago

Very kind of him and his wife to visit. I hope your son continues to improve and thrive. Thank you for sharing!

#47 9 years ago

Awesome story. Really glad to hear your son is doing better! I have met Dennis several times and he is a class act! It really does not get better than this...

#48 9 years ago

Very touching story, great people are the best! Best wishes to your son!

#49 9 years ago

Nice to read an uplifting story early in the day! Thanks for sharing and best of luck to Zach and the whole family.
Never ceases to amaze me how nice Dennis is!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisNordman:

Joe, it was nice to meet your family and play a game of I500 with Zach. He's developing some playing skills! (He beat me!) Your game is in beautiful shape. You should check to see if Cliffy makes a hole protector for the lock hole, that's the only wear I noticed.
I'm glad Zach is finished with his chemo and hope he stays healthy. He's a great kid (and so is Coen). It was a pleasure and a privilege to play a game with him. The fact that he loves I500 just made my day!
Dennis

Hey, I like Indy 500 too!... and Party Zone... and Whitewater... and Demolition Man...

Why can't you come here?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 17.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 37.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dennis-nordman-visits-my-son and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.