Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

32B1B63D-09B8-4762-895C-B76E01428923 (resized).jpeg
    20220720_174104.jpg
    20220713_225714.jpg
    6C82F5D4-68AA-4ECE-9FC6-81BDF01D927E (resized).jpeg
    B57D45AD-11A0-4E44-996C-506C97FAB215 (resized).jpeg
    3FC084FB-CF46-495D-B2F1-0F6EF20DE07B (resized).jpeg
    BE99748C-F71D-45E7-BAA1-1FE34F015311 (resized).png
    7A0CDA4C-8468-461F-B9D7-EB90C29BDDAB.gif
    The_great_cornholi (resized).jpg
    A3F07C78-D451-4AE8-A3A6-AF52A8AF1B36.gif
    AFE8D795-84D4-4E43-AF75-7A92607717E4.gif
    Screenshot_20220813-061809_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-061827_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-234014~2.png
    Screenshot_20220812-234150~2.png
    F8521CE6-C7F6-41B9-A0C0-09D3489AC707 (resized).jpeg
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 1 year ago

Picked up my 3rd demo man yesterday and the first thing I'm doing is ripping those handles off. Has anyone else done this?? If so, anyone have any pics of their fix? I sware I saw someone back in the day removed them, and installed 2 extra buttons similar to JM, and TS's setup.

I love demo man's flow, it's a fun pin.. Didn't used to get alot of love, but over the years people have began to appreciate it.. For me one of the biggest deterances was those big ugly handles.

#2 1 year ago

Love the handles. One of the coolest features In my opinion .

#3 1 year ago

Not sure I’d call it a fix….

But if your going to modify the cabinet that much I wonder how pinball2000 buttons would look. That way you aren’t drilling an entire additional hole in your cabinet

#4 1 year ago

Your resale value is going to go in the toilet.

If I was looking at buying a Demolition Man and the handles weren't there I would judge that machine to be in too poor a condition to refurbish, and look elsewhere.

You certainly don't have to use the handles, the flipper buttons on the side work fine.

And this is your game!

Fill it up with Clown Puke LED's, chop the handles off with a sawsall, set it flat on the ground without legs! It's your machine!

But don't expect other people to buy it from you.

#5 1 year ago

The handles rule. Really give that game a lot of extra charm. Its got regular buttons right there for little babies who don't like handles. The handles let you score more points though

#6 1 year ago

Note to self: Be sure to ask any prospective buyer if they have a known family history of administering free body part removals or exchanges before selling a:
    DM, T2, FT, etc...

noted!
    -mof

#7 1 year ago

Demo man is awesome... please put the handles back on after you have them re-chromed

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Your resale value is going to go in the toilet.
    If I was looking at buying a Demolition Man and the handles weren't there I would judge that machine to be in too poor a condition to refurbish, and look elsewhere.
    You certainly don't have to use the handles, the flipper buttons on the side work fine.
    And this is your game!
    Fill it up with Clown Puke LED's, chop the handles off with a sawsall, set it flat on the ground without legs! It's your machine!
    But don't expect other people to buy it from you.

Every single game I buy... im keeping for the foreseeable future.. which means even if I sell it in 8 years.. I will easily get more than what I paid for it, even with "The fix"

You've been on pinside for less than 1 year, your opinion means so much to me!

#9 1 year ago

Every single game I buy... im keeping for the foreseeable future.. which means even if I sell it in 8 years.. I will easily get more than what I paid for it, even with "The fix"

Your less than 1 year into the hobby shows what you care about. Its not always about the money. Or resale. Thanks for the input!

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

You've been on pinside for less than 1 year, so your opinion means everything to me

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

He's right though, and I wouldn't be so sure that a hacked up demo man is going to be worth a lot more in 8 years than a decent one is today.

#12 1 year ago

I knew demo man is extra fat/wide but...love handles?

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

He's right though, and I wouldn't be so sure that a hacked up demo man is going to be worth a lot more in 8 years than a decent one is today.

Im talking a conversion, no hacking whatsoever. I have a spare wide body TZ cab.. move everything into that, make two holes Exactly like JM, TS button setup. Wire in the 2 x thumb buttons from the handles to those buttons, slap on some Radcad decals. Clean.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

I dunno what the hell you’re doing here but there’s an edit button instead of reposting 3 times with slight changes.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I dunno what the hell you’re doing here but there’s an edit button instead of reposting 3 times with slight changes.

Awww. Thanks baby

#16 1 year ago

Conversely, if I owned a Demo Man I would disconnect the normal flipper switches.

#17 1 year ago

When I hit the mega millions jackpot I'm buying every DM I can get my hands on then taking a sledgehammer to them stupid handles.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Your resale value is going to go in the toilet

Cant he just put the handles in the cab, so when he sells it will be complete?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

When I hit the mega millions jackpot I'm buying every DM I can get my hands on then taking a sledgehammer to them stupid handles.

I always said if I won the lottery I'd buy every STTNG and have a massive bonfire. I've since softened my STTNG stance. Also in light of pinflation I don't know if $1 billion is enough.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Regardless with him being on pinside for less than a year he is correct. Not everyone is on pinside and some people join later in life. And most agree with him. Regardless if they been on pinside for less than a year or more.

#21 1 year ago

At this point I don’t think I could even imagine playing DM without the handles.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Im talking a conversion, no hacking whatsoever. I have a spare wide body TZ cab.. move everything into that, make two holes Exactly like JM, TS button setup. Wire in the 2 x thumb buttons from the handles to those buttons, slap on some Radcad decals. Clean.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy as I get older but god damn thats alot of time, effort and money to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Maybe I'm just getting lazy as I get older but god damn thats alot of time, effort and money to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Just bored lol

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Regardless with him being on pinside for less than a year he is correct. Not everyone is on pinside and some people join later in life. And most agree with him. Regardless if they been on pinside for less than a year or more.

Sounds like something a newbie in the hobby would say

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Sounds like something a newbie in the hobby would say

Hey noob, I've been here longer than you

Removing the handles is a horrible idea

#26 1 year ago

10 years here plus 13 more on RGP. Removing the handles is stupid. People didn't do that even when DMs were selling for $700 at auction.

#27 1 year ago

I was told using the handles can score more points, I can’t remember if it’s true I haven’t played it for five years or so.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I was told using the handles can score more points, I can’t remember if it’s true I haven’t played it for five years or so.

It does. For one thing, when you lose multiball you can hit both thumb buttons to collect the current jackpot.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

And you need the handles to control the claw if I remember correctly.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Hey noob, I've been here longer than you
    Removing the handles is a horrible idea

Yea.. but your machines or allowable budget for machines sucks.. soooo

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

It does. For one thing, when you lose multiball you can hit both thumb buttons to collect the current jackpot.

At any point during MB actually.. it basically spots your current jackpot shot, so quite useful to advance past a more difficult shot as needed.

Also related to all eggs based on MTL rollovers, along with eggs for most claw modes.

Also, on bonus collect, it basically doubles your combo scoring when using them, you also collect trigger combos.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

At any point during MB actually.. it basically spots your current jackpot shot, so quite useful to advance past a more difficult shot as needed.
    Also related to all eggs based on MTL rollovers, along with eggs for most claw modes.
    Also, on bonus collect, it basically doubles your combo scoring when using them, you also collect trigger combos.

Eat at joes.

Usually in MB I use it to advance the jackpot when the super skill shot ramp is lit.

#33 1 year ago

I mean whatever, obviously OP owner can just replace the thumb buttons with additional cab buttons.

I'd encourage to really force yourself to really use them.. it's a fun way to distinguish casual DM players, with more hard core DM players.. of course, everyone new to DM just thinks they are silly.. but with practice, I actually prefer them... I suppose that is the heart of it for many.. we all have been there thinking they are dumb.. until they aren't

#34 1 year ago

I'm with ya, don't care for them; but not a big fan of the machine.

#35 1 year ago

The handles look cool but are awful to play with. A couple long games and you can feel the carpal tunnel creeping in.

That being said removing them seems to be complete waste of time.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Yea.. but your choice or allowable budget for machines sucks soooo

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The handles look cool but are awful to play with. A couple king games and you can feel the carpal tunnel creeping in.
    That being said removing them seems to be complete waste of time.

It's Literally 8 screws.. Do none of you guys actually work on your games?!

#37 1 year ago

..and then you got 8 holes plus marks from the missing handles on your cab.

Swapping into a TZ cab seems akin to buying a new car to fix a flat. But you do you.

#38 1 year ago

Geezus dude whatever.. just cut the damn handles off. I think people post sh like this just to get people fired up or "because you're bored".

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Why would I bother? They look cool.

But hey do whatever you want. Is anybody here telling you you shouldn’t be allowed to do this?

Another vote for “why was this thread necessary?”

#40 1 year ago

I like the handles. Very comfortable to use and a nice original feature. Demo Man wouldn't be the same without them.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why would I bother? They look cool.
    But hey do whatever you want. Is anybody here telling you you shouldn’t be allowed to do this?
    Another vote for “why was this thread necessary?”

IDK, I might grab the handles off the op to stick on my IJPA, so I can feel more immersive with the airplanes....

veeeerrrrrrr.. ratatatatata....

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Conversely, if I owned a Demo Man I would disconnect the normal flipper switches.

Just for you…

F8521CE6-C7F6-41B9-A0C0-09D3489AC707 (resized).jpegF8521CE6-C7F6-41B9-A0C0-09D3489AC707 (resized).jpeg
    #43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

First you told everyone you're using A TZ cabinet with new decals, now you're talking about removing 8 screws on your current cabinet. Why don't you make up your mind?

Also, have you considered picking up a Funhouse and doing the remove that ugly extra shooter rod fix? Or how about acquiring a Scared Stiff and doing the eliminate the animated backbox fix to get rid of that pesky spinning spider... I mean, since we're doing silly pointless "fixes".

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

First you told everyone you're using A TZ cabinet with new decals, now you're talking about removing 8 screws on your current cabinet. Why don't you make up your mind?
    Also, have you considered picking up a Funhouse and doing the remove that ugly extra shooter rod fix? Or how about acquiring a Scared Stiff and doing the eliminate the animated backbox fix to get rid of that pesky spinning spider... I mean, since we're doing silly pointless "fixes".

I dont get the hostility here. Did I say I'm coming to your house and cutting off your DM handles? No.. I simply asked if anyone has done this, and that they were something I didn't care for on MY game. Keyword... MY GAME, not yours. I dont give a fuck wether you feel it's pointless or not, I don't need your permission to alter MY game. Have a good weekend.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

..and then you got 8 holes plus marks from the missing handles on your cab.
    Swapping into a TZ cab seems akin to buying a new car to fix a flat. But you do you.

Thanks for the permission Dad.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

I mean whatever, obviously OP owner can just replace the thumb buttons with additional cab buttons.
    I'd encourage to really force yourself to really use them.. it's a fun way to distinguish casual DM players, with more hard core DM players.. of course, everyone new to DM just thinks they are silly.. but with practice, I actually prefer them... I suppose that is the heart of it for many.. we all have been there thinking they are dumb.. until they aren't

This is my 3rd DM in 11 years. I sold it previously becuase I hated how the handles looked in the lineup, and I never liked playing with them.. I feel like I'm steering one of those big ass shopping carts from Lowes.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

And you need the handles to control the claw if I remember correctly.

Actually...ya don't. But thanks again.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

10 years here plus 13 more on RGP. Removing the handles is stupid. People didn't do that even when DMs were selling for $700 at auction.

People barely even turned DM on back then, let alone put them in any respectable collection.. They were filler pins like JM, JD, and my beloved TS. Containers would be loaded with literally 7 - 9 of them just to take up space.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I got the time and the money, and I don't mind putting in the effort to enjoy something a little more. You ever mod a car? A computer? A house?? Why do we have to treat pinball like they're artifacts? Like im desecrating such a beloved piece of history / art, it's a Demo man everybody, calm down.

#50 1 year ago

So the handles are the ugliest part of Demolition Man now?
    Guess that makes the translite number two on the ugly list.

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-without-handles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.