Demolition Man vs Last Action Hero vs Taxi

By Magicmike0

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Which is better for the price? I heard DM is hard to shop, but I can't imagine LAH is any eaiser. I could DM(already shopped) for 19 plus travel time, Taxi(player's quality) for 1200, or LAH(looks decent from pics) for 15 and half the travel time. May possibly trade my F-14 with the deal on DM and some cash. Still want a WW more than any of them but that is off subject.
Please give me some insight guys.
-MM0

#2 10 years ago

I'd take the Taxi and LAH either one over DM. Prices are OK on all three -- the Taxi could be the best deal depending on their definition of "players condition." I traded my BOP for an LAH and I have really been digging the game. Lots of stuff going on and the best multiball of all my games...really gets the heart pumping!

#3 10 years ago

Hey Director,
eah I saw your setup on one of B_R's youtube vids. Nice game room bud. I actually left a comment there asking what you would take for WW...hehe
Thanks for the input bro.

#4 10 years ago

Taxi is great for the price if the condition is reasonable. I have seen a few threads looking for replacement spinout ramp...which seems to be difficult to get, ($300.00 was the asking price for the one for sale). If that's not a problem, go for it!

DM is a great game though I have heard shopping is a chore, never placed LAH

Good luck!

#5 10 years ago

Thanks, man! Yeah, I just saw that comment the other day. I couldn't let WW go though, it's one of my favorite games in the game room. If I see another one for sale in the area though, I'll let you know. Dan up at Lost Ark was considering letting go of his back in January. I was originally going to buy it, but he decided to hold on to it. Wouldn't surprise me if it eventually hits the market again though at some point.

As for an LAH shop, the front tear down isn't bad at all. The back end is a little more complicated with the ramps and crane tear down. I've seen worse though.

#6 10 years ago

I'm really debating on LAH because of the short drive but as many YouTube videos I've watched on the game, it doesn't grab my attention until multiball. Keep in mind I only own F-14 and Swords of fury right now. Just that it seems open at the bottom and full up top. I would love to play it first before deciding, but if I make the drive for something I usually want to bring it home with me. Hey Director, can u put up a small video explaining some of the shots/rules and maybe why you love it. That'd be awesome! Maybe just showing the playfield a little closer so I could examine what's going in up top there. If not its cool. I may try and get it this weekend though if you slap something together real quick to help me in my decision making..Haha!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Hey Director, can u put up a small video explaining some of the shots/rules and maybe why you love it. That'd be awesome! Maybe just showing the playfield a little closer so I could examine what's going in up top there. If not its cool. I may try and get it this weekend though if you slap something together real quick to help me in my decision making..Haha!

Yeah, I'll try to put something together. I've been meaning to start video reviews on my blog anyway, and there's no reason I can't start with this game since it's in my game room. I might be able to crank something out tonight. Keep your eye out on www.thepinballreview.com.

#8 10 years ago

DM over LAH anyday. Not really a big Taxi fan but maybe I've just not played it enough.

#9 10 years ago

19 is high side for Demo Man and I personally wouldn't give one for that factoring a drive. It is the best game of the three imo, but you probably can't go wrong with any of them. I'd try beating them up on price on the Demo Man then go for LAH next. The Taxi is mot likely beat up(playfield wear/ramps etc), but is still a great game if you could get it for a grand.

#10 10 years ago

LAH is the deepest machine of the 1990s. There are tons of things to do, and shots that are not currently used in a mode are always adding to something else at others times. It’s an outstanding machine. I have a much broader review in my reviews. It keeps giving me new things, like for instance a couple months back I hit the JP/super combo three times, and it started playing one of Beethoven’s symphonies for the rest of the MB. I can’t say enough about this underrated machine.

Taxi is a classic sys11 great fun machine. You think you should get more bored with it, but as with most sys11’s, they have a pinball charm that keeps them always fun and interesting, and this one was one of the best.

DM is the flow master. Many think it’s too shallow, as it has only 5 modes, but throw in the 4 stages of MB modes, and the few other things to do, and it’s not as shallow as many extremely overpriced wpc95’s. The demotime jackpot is hard to get, but rewarding. I love the music and the swear roms are fantastic, and very well implemented. The flasher show is really sweet on this machine as well.

I currently own LAH and Taxi, and was stupid and sold my DM to fund my LOTR LE at the time (which I didn’t really have to do), and have been trying to get it back ever since. I will again own all three, but LAH is the better game all in all for its depth, but you can’t go wrong with any of them.

#11 10 years ago

Well I wanted to go get it but apparently my jeep is only mad to haul system 11's so far. I have a hard time getting those in...I have to force them in and it already rips my ceiling a lil. back box down they measure about 29.5 in
LAH measures 32 the guy said

#12 10 years ago

Really it's a classic like Taxi, or a 90s DE LAH...shouldn't reeally be a hard decision depending on what you like more in general.

DM shouldn't even be considered...how it's uglier than LAH is amazing but it is.

#13 10 years ago

Can't u take the roofs off jeeps?

#14 10 years ago

If you have a trailer hitch, this option is $22: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=UV.

I used it for my LAH actually. Cheap and easy, just a little extra hassle in picking up and dropping off.

#15 10 years ago

It's a jeep commander :/

Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Can't u take the roofs off jeeps?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

If you have a trailer hitch, this option is $22: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=UV.
I used it for my LAH actually. Cheap and easy, just a little extra hassle in picking up and dropping off.

I've never pulled a trailer. Seems kinda risky for me driving through Atlanta haha. But that is a great suggestion. Hmmm maybe. Thanks a million for telling me bout that option.

#17 10 years ago

Wow I hauled a Judge Dredd home in my Scion xB this weekend. Surprised you can't fit the LAH in your commander!

#18 10 years ago

Seems like every time I try to get advice on what game to get, the deal falls through :/
Oh well. Somebody around Knoxville Tn just go ahead and sell me a Whirlwind

#19 10 years ago

DM is a great game. I currently own one and am on my 2nd time around with this particular machine. I've owned LAH in the past and couldn't get rid of it quick enough....It just wasn't for me. I would agree though that WW is an awesome game and if you can get your hands on one, go for it - you won't regret it.

Good luck in your pin hunt!

#20 10 years ago

No contest............DM

#21 10 years ago

DM is a good game that should have been better. I have yet to play the new version with the controller card and the computer running the deck. I like this game, but I don't love it. The entire left 1/3rd of the PF is wasted on bad PF design and rules. The multiple multiballs are engaging though.

LAH is one of the better DE games, but it's still as good of a game as DM. kickout hole to ramp to kickout hole to ramp to kickout hole to ramp to kickout hole to yawn... Arnold's head is bigger on this BG than it is in real life.

Taxi is the most shallow of the games in terms of ruleset, but the game is there. Taxi is a player that requires your skills to be activated when you step up to it. If you can rock this game too easily, chances are that you have not tuned and "nastified" this table properly. The sounds and callouts on this deck are perfect. The skillshot requires... skill.

I used to have a DM, would not buy a LAH, would definitely consider a Taxi if the right once came along.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

kickout hole to ramp to kickout hole to ramp to kickout hole to ramp to kickout hole to yawn...

That could be said for many games (TZ, TAF for example, it's clearly modelled after a Lawlor), but there's no fun or points there. LAH does a great job IMO of using all of the shots in the modes, and they are quite varied for the time.

Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Arnold's head is bigger on this BG than it is in real life.

I agree, and the ebay alt is a must, I have it and it really pops with even inc bulbs.

#23 10 years ago

You guys are helping a lot. The thing is I'm not even sure any of these games are still available. The people I tried buying from are all kinda to busy to get back at me or maybe already working another deal. I think I'm going to hold out for a Whirlwind to pop up one day. It's one of my must own games, and I know there has got to be a decent one out there for around 1500.00. Thing that sucks is by the time it pops up again people are going to keep driving the prices up

#24 10 years ago

Demolition Man by a mile...

#25 10 years ago

AtomicBoy,

I'm going to agree with you partially with the LAH/TZ comparison. Here's where I differ with your opinion.

1) LAH - the Dynamite kickout is a safe shot. TZ - The Slot machine kickout is SUPER DANGEROUS! I do what I can to start the mode from the piano. Lighting the mode shots requires shots to different ramps to access the mode start shots in the game. The left ramp lights the piano, the right ramp lights the slot machine. That's 4 shots that take you all across and up and down the table as compared to the single scooptastic/ rampapalooza (over and over and over... again and again and again) on LAH.

2) There are 3 solidly balanced ways to play TZ for big scores.
a) door modes
b) gumball multiball
c) regular "talky tina" shot multiball
As compared to reaching for big scores on LAH, you want to get to the wiz mode and rock it as hard as you can. Regular multiball is good too, but World Premier is way to heavily weighted in its scoring to really shoot for anything else.

I will say that the shots all around LAH are very well utilized, it's just that the rules/scoring could use some refinement. CALLING MYSTERY PROGRAMMER! Finally, with at least 7 Arnies on this game including the mega-head on the BG... LAH will definitely get you "Schwarz-zeneggered"!

#26 10 years ago

I'd like to take a gander at that "other" translite. Link?

#27 10 years ago

LAH is my favorite game in my collection. Its deep, plays pretty fast and has a ton of stuff going on. The shaker motor and crane are awesome. And you can get a 6 ball multiball 3 different ways. I don't think you would be disappointed with LAH. Just my opinion. I would suggest playing each one before you made your decision if at all possible, because everyone likes something different and only you will be able to decide which one you will get the most out of.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 81.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 85.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-vs-last-action-hero-vs-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.