Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi Guys,

Experienced an issue with my Demo Man today that I am hoping to get some assistance with.

When the ball is directed to the elevator for the claw to pick up, the routine where the ball raises and the claw move to grab it never happens. I have gone into the test mode and the elevator will go up and down when depressing the test buttons and the claw will move left and right again while depressing the test buttons.

So when this situation occurs, the machine after a few moments will discover that a ball is missing and try to locate it but it never does. It is sitting on the elevator. Sometimes, after doing a power cycle it will find it and then release to the playfield but the whole scenario repeats when the ball is again shot so that the elevator can raise it.

Any help/direction is greatly appreciated.

George...

#2 7 years ago

Is there a switch for the ball where it is sitting in the elevator ? Start there, the game isn't seeing a ball there.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Lloyd. And my luck it is in the far back of the game. Oh well. Will look and report back

#4 7 years ago

There is a set of optos that sense where the elevator is, and if there is a ball in it. If all of your other optos are working then you are probably looking at a bad opto transmitter or receiver. If none of you're optos are working then you may have a blown fuse for your 12 volts supply to your optos.
Also there should be a micro switch past the diverter that leads to the claw, if that is not working it can cause weird problems as well.

The diagram is on Page 2-25 if you have the original manual, or page 81 if you have the downloaded manual.

#5 7 years ago

Hey Buffaloatx

MANY THANKS Very helpful. The ole opto issue, hmmm. The game had been working just dfine since I picked it up 6 months ago. ALl good, not a hiccup. The balance of the game seems to work just fine Buffaloatx. Not sure I have a manual with that game but I think I am going to find one/get one. Thanks very much!!

G

#6 7 years ago

i'll plan to use my iphone camera to see if the opto is good back in that area. Thanks again Great assistance.

#7 7 years ago

It's not to bad to take the claw apart to get to the opto.

#8 7 years ago

I can see the ball sitting in the elevator and there appears to be an opto where the ball sits. Maybe this is the root of the problem as if the machine does not see that the ball is there, the routine where the ball raises and the claw grabs it will not start?

#9 7 years ago

Hi Fellas,

Quick question. Thought that if I use my iphone camera, or any electronics camera for that matter, that if I point it towards an IR source that I should see the led glowing??? I have tried this on some misc a/v remotes that I have that are using IR and I cannot see any indication of the emitter glowing. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

George...

#10 7 years ago

The left/right optos are also flaky... and if they glitch even a little, the game will have problems with the whole mechanism. Test mode doesnt always give you a clear picture unfortunately as you do not see the glitches

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Fellas,

Quick question. Thought that if I use my iphone camera, or any electronics camera for that matter, that if I point it towards an IR source that I should see the led glowing??? I have tried this on some misc a/v remotes that I have that are using IR and I cannot see any indication of the emitter glowing. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

George...

The rear camera uses a filter, so you can't see IR, but the front one does not. I'm not sure that helps you based on the location of the opto and the way you would have to hold the camera. Any friends with Android phones you could use?

You should be able to go into the switch edge test and check the opto that way. Just break the opto beam with a ball or your finger and see if it registers.

#12 7 years ago

Thank you sounder. Yeppir. Just found it on the net. Should have looked before I posted a question. Thank you and sorry

#13 7 years ago

Ok. Did the switch edge test on the opto in the back which identifies if there is a ball on the elevator and it registers in the test. Must be ok. Looking at the small PCB that is at the bottom of the elevator mechanism. Wiggled the connector and turned the game on and put the ball in the area for the elevator to work and it did. Then it went back to not working but may be onto something. Attaching a picture of the boatd

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Believe this is the elevator opto PCB Anyone ever remove one of these? If I just takeout the four screws affixing the board will it slide out? Think this may be where my issue resides. Poor connector or dirty/defective opto. Would like to just slide the board out to do some testing.

#15 7 years ago

Looks like I should just be able to slide that out.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#16 7 years ago

Boatd is out. Little in the scuzzy side.

#17 7 years ago

Ok. Cleaned the board and plugged it back in and did the switch edge test and the opto is working there. Could have been just dirty as board was a bit dingy. Will reassemble and see what happens

#18 7 years ago

Nice clean version.

#19 7 years ago

Got it guys. Those Sabine dirty optos. Thought that board would be a whole lot more difficult to get to than it was. Not so bad. Nothing a nice bath of 92% alcohol and compressed air can't handle.

THANK YOU guys

George

#20 7 years ago

Awesome. I'm glad you got it resolved. You're a quick worker.

#21 7 years ago

Hey spyder

Thank you, me too. Just hate like hell when stuff is broken. One thing becomes ten things and I just don't want that in my collection.

Your contribution was helpful. Thanks again

#22 7 years ago

Hi Guys

Seems like I still have an intermittent issue with he elevator rising when the ball lands in the appropriate spot. Cleaning the opto appeared to help but I am wondering if anyone out there understands the technical flow of the game to maybe assist? The ball needs to land where the elevator can lift it. That opto that senses the ball is working. Then the elevator needs to lift the ball to the crane. Here's the question. If the connections to the opto elevator board are not 100% snug, could that cause the elevator not to rise? Seems like after the machine went into ball find mode when the elevator did not raise the ball, the vibration from the solenoids triggering was enough to send the elevator up and the sequence worked

Would appreciate your thoughts

Thank you

G

#23 7 years ago

Cold solder joints on the opto boards or optos are just getting flaky and need to be replaced.

#24 7 years ago

Mitch,

Have you experienced what I am describing with your game?

G

#25 7 years ago

trying to determine if the elevator opto board is most likely the culprit here. I can certainly take it back out and re-heat the connections and replace the opto assembly but just want to have a reasonable expectation that I am not chasing down the wrong trail??

#26 7 years ago

I just figured that might be the issue as you took out the board and cleaned it and it started working better.

Reflowing the solder on the board is easy and free if your comfortable doing it and the opto is less then $10. Figure it's worth a shot if you can do it yourself. Not gonna lose much if wrong.

#27 7 years ago

Good point Mitch. Thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 81.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-tech-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.