• Latest reply 8 years ago by joekiss
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Demolition-Man-Switch-Matrix.png
#1 8 years ago

I just cant get this thing to work. First all of the optos didn't work. Now a whole bunch of switched don't work. Left inlane, Right outlane, Bottom popper (underground), shooter, Left ramp make, side ramp make, Right ramp enter, etc.. They all work in switch test.

Had some battery leakage originally. had the board repaired. Ive switched the CPU Board Power driver board and opto board with both judge Dredd and STTNG. They all work fine in those games and ALL act the same in DM. The CPU connectors had some corrosion on them I replaced them and have used my DMM to follow each wire to where the should go and do a continuity check. All are making connections. I don't know what to look for anymore. Ive even switched cable ribbons with the other games and same result. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I just cant get this thing to work. First all of the optos didn't work. Now a whole bunch of switched don't work. Left inlane, Right outlane, Bottom popper (underground), shooter, Left ramp make, side ramp make, Right ramp enter, etc.. They all work in switch test.

Are the optos now working?

You say the switches don't work, but that they do work in switch test, which would mean the switches don't work only during game play?

#3 8 years ago

There's possibly more acid that is hidden on the CPU Board

#4 8 years ago

Only during game play they don't work.switch test they are fine so I know they physically work. Ive tried 3 cpu boards. they work fine on other games and all do the same thing on Demo man. As I said I can safely rule out CPU or Driver boards.

#5 8 years ago

Just for fun, is the high voltage switch open when you do the switch test and they work? Try closing the high voltage switch and doing the tests again.

#6 8 years ago

Course its open the coin door is open. Would that matter?? Will try later tonight.

#7 8 years ago

Hmm.. all work in switch test but not while playing? That can't be right....you're missing info. Only thing I can think of is you missed a pin on a ribbon cable or something like that. Because what you're describing shouldn't happen.

#8 8 years ago

Or your testing switches with your finger !

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Course its open the coin door is open. Would that matter?? Will try later tonight.

I believe it would matter because the system would have the additional load of the coils during the test. Assuming they work fine in test mode with the coil load, you might just want to try re-burning/replacing the CPU firmware. I would be happy to re-burn them or send you a set to test if I have the spare Eprom on hand. Can't hurt(unless you install it wrong ) and it eliminates corrupt code.

#10 8 years ago

I would not put eprom's high on my list of possible causes.

First I would do a factory reset. Then make sure all the ribbon cables are installed properly. I would reseat each 2/3 times. Make sure all of the socketed chips on the cpu are firmly seated. Monitor the 12 volts while in game play.

Just for grins mark all of the non-working switches in the switch matrix and post a photo. Also please post a hi-res photo of the cpu board (battery area and lower part of the board).

Are the optos now working properly?

#11 8 years ago

Its not the cpu board.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Its not the cpu board.

Correct, I missed that in your first post. My other suggestions still apply though.

#13 8 years ago

Every time I switch CPU boards there is a factory reset.

#14 8 years ago

What does the 12 volts look like under load (during game play)? While you're at it check the 12 volts during attract mode also.

I would still like to see a copy of the switch matrix diagram with the non-working switches marked (to see it there's a pattern).

And, for the third time, are the optos now working?

#15 8 years ago

Some of the optos are working. its almost random now. Ill make a list of the switches.

#16 8 years ago

Switches not working 18 38 44 48 52 55 58 78

Switches not working during game but OK in switch test 15 27 41 42 45 46 56 62 66 64

No pattern at all.

#17 8 years ago

Some optos are good. Top popper, car crash, eyeball... Bottom popper (underground) doesn't work

#19 8 years ago

Grab the manual and turn to the switch matrix chart and see if those switches are in the same row.It's possible
U20 on CPU might need to be changed out

#20 8 years ago

Its not the cpu

#21 8 years ago

Firstly with so many random things going on you need to check your 12 volts. Check it in attract mode and check it in game play.

If that's all good then check the following:

Wht-gry wire check continuity from the board to the switches that aren't working.
Grn-blu wire (J207-6) check at the connector for a good connection (visually and you can lightly tug on the wire and see if it comes loose). Next check that color wire on all of the switches in that column and see if there are any bad solder joints or the wire is frayed (strands loose or broken). My only guess on this is that there is a high-resistance connection in the chain for the switches that work in test, but not in game play (other than a voltage issue as noted above).
There are other rows/columns to test, but we'll start there.

Demolition-Man-Switch-Matrix.pngDemolition-Man-Switch-Matrix.png

2 months later
#22 8 years ago

Still no resolve. Had all boards tested and the boards are just fine...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 81.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.