• Latest reply 4 years ago by Cambo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zee (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi, I have a demolition man and love it, it has however developed a problem when both flippers are activated at once or if the left flipper is activated to heavy. The machine blacks out for a second and then reboots but you lose the game and have to start again. Any thoughts? Cheers Cambo.

#2 4 years ago

Sounds like a typical WPC reset issue.

There are troubleshooting steps are here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Or, as a stopgap measure or to assist with troubleshooting, you can use this bypass module:

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

#3 4 years ago

Before you get too far, open the backbox and look for a "Z" connector, a lot of times these connectors are loose or just plain old and oxidized so they don't make good connections...try reseating it a few times and see if the problem goes away. If not, then start looking at the link forceflow has posted.

"Bad Connections in Inter-Harness Connector: "Wide-Body" Games Only: Demolition Man, Indiana Jones, Judge Dredd, Popeye, Road Show, Star Trek: TNG, Twilight Zone. In these games, the 12-volt/ground harness coming off J114 on the left side of power/driver board will have a 7-position gender-changer connector (female-to-female) in it, with 6 wires (3 black, 3 gray), a few inches off the board from J114. This is sometimes referred to as a "Z" connector. In many cases, especially as these games continue to get older, this connector has been known to be the cause of reset problems when it's connections are dirty, oxidized, or damaged from possible overheating or excessive current draw. Reseating this connector (or replacing it if it is damaged) may help cure a reset problem. Bypassing the connector altogether (cutting it out and hard-wiring the wires) is the best option to eliminate it as a cause of reset issues- at present and in the future. This connector was only used at the factory to ease assembly between 2 backbox harnesses, and isn't needed in normal use or maintenance of these games".

http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/reset.php

zee (resized).jpgzee (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a broken diode on the flipper coil.

#5 4 years ago

I got lazy with my I500 and bought the bypass module. Still works fine to this day. That was 4 years ago

#6 4 years ago

I wonder how many people’s first post on pinside is “help! my game is resetting when I hit the flippers!”?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

I got lazy with my I500 and bought the bypass module. Still works fine to this day. That was 4 years ago

rkahr came to the PNW show and did a seminar on what his daughter board is and does. He explains it as not being a stop-gap measure but as a solution that treats the 5V circuit to the CPU as a stand-alone feed, similar to other circuits in the machine.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

rkahr came to the PNW show and did a seminar on what his daughter board is and does. He explains it as not being a stop-gap measure but as a solution that treats the 5V circuit to the CPU as a stand-alone feed, similar to other circuits in the machine.

That’s good to hear. I’ve heard the term “bandaid” repair before, so that’s good info. Thanks

#9 4 years ago

I use a kahr board on my TZ and it works fine.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Spinape:

Quoted from gunstarhero:

I use a kahr board on my TZ and it works fine.

For now. You'll love the day it still resets with that board in. I remember it very well when it happened on my TAF....

#11 4 years ago

The rectifier bridge also can cause resets and or bad soldier joints there.

#12 4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, will check all and see how I go. Cheers Cambo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 81.95
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-shuts-off?hl=spinape and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.