Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Demolition Man shooter launch button quit launching ball(s) a few nights ago during a game.
Pressed launch button to launch ball. Nothing..ball sat in shooter lane.

Clipped out the shooter lane coil out of game last night as it appeared that some of the windings were loose and out of the wrapper, indicating to me that a winding may have broke and started to unspool.
Tested the coil out of the game and I do get continuity, so does that mean the coil windings may still be good?

Manual says Q78 is the Shooter driver transistor. I tested the right lug and grounded it with power off and got a .500 reading.

I didn't pull the driver board out yet but thought maybe if that coil was cut out of circuit, it'd be the same as not connected?

I also tested SWITCH EDGES and the launch button switch is working in test mode.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

#2 7 years ago

Can you confirm that the right handle thumb button also won't launch a ball?

Does the coil fire in solenoid test?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I also tested SWITCH EDGES and the launch button switch is working in test mode.

Did you check the shooter lane switch?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Can you confirm that the right handle thumb button also won't launch a ball?
Does the coil fire in solenoid test?

No it didn't fire in SOLENOID TEST before I cut the coil out.
All the other coils did fire...

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you check the shooter lane switch?

Just did. It registers in SWITCH EDGE test when pressed down as thou a ball sitting on it.
The Launch Ball button switch also registers in SWITCH test when pressed.

Thanks for suggestion.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

No it didn't fire in SOLENOID TEST before I cut the coil out.

Did you check for voltage at the coil?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you check for voltage at the coil?

No. Should I put my DVM on the two wires and set it to repeat on solenoid test for BALL LAUNCH and see if it swings to 50VDC?

#8 7 years ago

Is the coil back in place with the wires soldered on? If yes then black on ground braid and red to each lug on the coil, should see 65-75 volts DC at each lug. If this is good then the coil is good and the power is good. Then place red lead to the metal tab of the transistor that controls this coil, should be 65-75 volts DC if this is good then the wiring back to the PDB is good. Next would be a DMM check of the transistor that controls this coil.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is the coil back in place with the wires soldered on? If yes then black on ground braid and red to each lug on the coil, should see 65-75 volts DC at each lug. If this is good then the coil is good and the power is good. Then place red lead to the metal tab of the transistor that controls this coil, should be 65-75 volts DC if this is good then the wiring back to the PDB is good. Next would be a DMM check of the transistor that controls this coil.

Thanks for the step by step. Been little busy and will try this tomorrow.

#10 7 years ago

I have a Demolition Man but never had this issue. Eagerly awaiting word that the problem has been solved. Good luck!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I have a Demolition Man but never had this issue. Eagerly awaiting word that the problem has been solved. Good luck!

UPDATE: Problem Solved.
Well, once I resoldered the shooter coil back in, I ran another SOLENOID TEST with the shooter rod in the coil and it fired!
I am guessing as much as the coil lugs didn't appear to have a cold joint, it must have.

So all back together and running..

Thanks for all the suggestions.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

as much as the coil lugs didn't appear to have a cold joint, it must have

Come to think of it, I had to re-solder my upper left flipper because it appeared it was good but was sputtering and intermittent, it looked like they used as little solder at factory as possible. Glad it was an easy fix.

#13 7 years ago

Update: Auto shooter died again in the middle of a game last night.
Probably only played 5-6 games before this happened again.
Pretty sure it's not a cold solder join this time.
This is the only solenoid that won't fire in SOLENOID TEST.
Ball launch button switch & shooter lane switch works but I noticed that the LAUNCH BUTTON light is out where when it the auto shooter was working, the light would flash under it.
Anything clue in about that?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Anything clue in about that?

Check coil. Crap happens.

Check light bulb. Crap happens.

LTG : )

#15 7 years ago

Update:
Fixed. Inspected coil again. The loose winding issue is that it came off the lug on the backside. Pulled the slack thru the lug hole, wrapped excess around the lug post and re-soldered. No more loose coil wire, fires every time...If it comes loose again, new coil in the budget.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 81.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-shooter-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.