• Latest reply 1 year ago by sfbrian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F16DA8DF-2C0A-436C-AD3E-EF92DA33BD70 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

So I've come across a really weird issue. During games and also during attract mode on Demolition Man, the coil semi activates which shifts the balls in the trough. The game then thinks there is a trough jam and starts launching balls. See the attached video for the symptoms. I have looked at the opto boards and after doing initial work on setting the pins better and reflowing the connectors, the boards seem to be ok. I really don't know what to check now. I don't have an oscilloscope, otherwise I would be checking the voltage on the coil to see if it randomly changes all of the sudden. Any ideas?

#2 1 year ago

Likely not the coil.

Are the opto transmitters amber or clear? If they are original probably need to be replaced. Could also be connectors on the board. Honestly it’s less hassle to just replace the boards entirely due to age.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Are the opto transmitters amber or clear?

They are amber. I can replace those first and see if that makes a difference.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from sfbrian:

They are amber. I can replace those first and see if that makes a difference.

You’ll want them looking like these:

F16DA8DF-2C0A-436C-AD3E-EF92DA33BD70 (resized).jpegF16DA8DF-2C0A-436C-AD3E-EF92DA33BD70 (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

Trough optos! Very very common problem!

You want QED123 transmitters and QSD124 receivers. I buy them from Mouser, but Pinball Life sells an emitter and receiver LED that works well.

If replacing receivers, check out this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-determine-the-c-e-of-black-opto-receiver-leds

My Demolition man has an aftermarket trough opto board on it, but if your transmitter board has big resistors soldered to it, those resistors can be open (not usually intermittently... ), or have broken solder connections. (VERY common).

Also the connectors to both the receiver and transmitter trough opto boards can have broken solder connections. Reflow the solder at the connectors if necessary.

4 months later
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Likely not the coil.
Are the opto transmitters amber or clear? If they are original probably need to be replaced. Could also be connectors on the board. Honestly it’s less hassle to just replace the boards entirely due to age.

Quoted from PinRetail:

Trough optos! Very very common problem!

You were both correct. It was trough optos. I replaced either the senders or receivers. I forget which one but it fixed the issue! I also needed to repin the connector. Works great now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 81.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-randomly-launches-balls-during-attract-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.