9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

solenoid-circuit1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevinm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I have a demolition man that has problems starting up. I recently purchased the machine and it ran fine except the sound didn't work. Then I had a problem with the display not working right and now the machine won't startup. If I disconnect the 34 pin ribbon cable from the display controller board the machine will startup. So, I replaced all of the components on the display controller board that are directly connected to the 34 pin connector. Nothing has changed. I am not sure what the next step is that I should take.

#3 9 years ago

I am trying to learn how these machines work, not to pay someone to fix it for me. Since I am not familiar with this machine I was hoping to get some hints on what to look at. I don't mind working on them myself.

#7 9 years ago

Hopefully I didn't miss any of the connectors. The voltages are as follows on the power driver board:
J107 pin1 5.6v
J107 pin2 5.6v
J107 pin3 5.6v
J107 pin5 21v
J107 pin6 21v

J104 pin1 4.8vac
J104 pin2 4.8vac

J114 pin1 12v
J114 pin2 12v
J114 pin3 5v
J114 pin4 5v

J118 pin3 5v
J118 pin2 15v

#9 9 years ago

There was a bad connection at the interlock switch. I now have 52vac at J104.

#11 9 years ago

No change.

#13 9 years ago

I did that. When I turn it on the three lights work as follows:
First the top and bottom lights are on.
After short time the top light turns off and the middle light flashes continuously.

What is the next step? The website you referenced is for Data East machines.

#14 9 years ago

All working now. It turned out to be a connection problem between the boards. Now I have to go back to my original problem of no sound.

#16 9 years ago

I get no sound at all except when I turn it on or off I get a pop out of the speakers. I hooked up a different speaker and got the same results. I had found a couple of broken traces that I fixed. They didn't make any difference. The sockets all look clean. Overall the board is pretty clean.

#18 9 years ago

This machine doesn't have a pot for volume control. The volume is changed electronically with the buttons on the coin door. I can change the volume setting and it shows the level changing on the display, but it does nothing.

#20 9 years ago

On the MPU W1 jumper is in. I tried reseating all of the connectors. No change after doing so.

I don't have any other WPC machines.

#22 9 years ago

I don't have a chip puller for U9. I did push on it and that made no difference.

1 week later
#23 9 years ago

I bought a chip puller and reseated U9. Still no change. I then bought another sound board. It is used, but was sold as working and did work just before it was sent to me. It is doing the same thing as the original board. The only thing that is common between the 2 boards are the EPROMs. So, I am going to replace the EPROMs to see if that helps. The question I have is: isn't the sound board supposed to make a sound even if it isn't hooked up to the CPU board? Also is there something else I should be looking at?

#26 9 years ago

All that happens when I turn on the machine is I get a load pop sound. The same thing happens when I turn it off. It does the same thing if the ribbon cable is connected or not connected. I didn't change the ribbon cable because the sound board doesn't seem to be working on its own. I also checked continuity of the cable and everything was good.

#29 9 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have a cable. So, I just ordered a cable. I will provide an update when I get it.

#33 9 years ago

I only purchased the cable that goes to both the sound board and the display driver board. I was thinking I had another unrelated problem with the display, but now I am thinking it may be related. The display was working fine and the game played fine, just no sound. Then the display started to look like a graphic equalizer. Now I wonder if the problem is the cable that goes to both the sound board and the display driver board. Originally I assumed the DMD went bad and I ordered a replacement. I also ordered the HV rebuild kit for the display driver board. So, hopefully one of these things fixes my problems.

#35 9 years ago

I just ordered the complete set of cables from GPE.

#36 9 years ago

The hv at the dmd is 130 and 111. That seems to be a little high. I am not sure that will cause a problem. The other reason I was going to rebuild the hv is it has gotten real hot to the point that there is very little solder on some of the connections and many of the pads are real dark. I just received a new display and plugged it in and it works fine. So, it looks like the original display has a problem. I assume it is the board and not the display itself.

#38 9 years ago

I rebuilt the HV and the voltages have gone higher. They are now 138 and 116. Now I am afraid to plug in my new DMD.

#42 9 years ago

I noticed it was marked as resolved, not sure how that happened. I don't see a way to reverse that.

#44 9 years ago

I installed the new cables and I now have sound. In addition my original DMD is working again. The only thing that is still a problem is I still get the pop sound when I turn it on and again when I turn it off. I assume that indicates a power problem but I am not sure where to look.

#47 9 years ago

Thanks for all of the help.

#54 9 years ago

With the DMD plugged in the voltages are still at 138 and 116.

#56 9 years ago

It is much more enjoyable with sound. I was just playing it and the sound went out again. I found another flaky connector. When I push on connector J3 I can make the sound turn on or off. So, it looks like that is the next fix. Hopefully that will finally fix everything.

This was a good learning experience. I wanted to go directly to the expensive fix of replacing boards when it looks like all of the problems were connection related. I still need to verify if my original sound is functional, but I suspect it is.

I want to thank everyone for all of the help.

#58 9 years ago

I reflowed all of the solder connections near J3 and the sound board is working well now. My problems continue though. The DMD will work sometimes and then all of a sudden it looks like a graphic equalizer. I tried another DMD and it works but I get some ghosting around some of the characters.

I tried the original board that came with the machine, but I can't get it to work.

#60 9 years ago

The original one that came with the machine (Babcock) is the one that works sometimes. The other one I tried (Vishay) is the one that has ghosting.

#62 9 years ago

I reflowed the solder on all of the connector pins for the 3 ribbon cables and pulled U9 and reseated it. There is no improvement. Now the display is doing something different. It is getting waves of pixels moving down the display. I tried to upload a video but I keep getting an error. Something about not having an upload id. As soon as I can get that to work I will attach it.

#64 9 years ago

I looked for shorts and didn't find any. I am going to look at it again just in case I missed something. The other display, Babcock, just has pixels down at the bottom. It looks a lot like a graphic equalizer display and changes as different things are displayed.

#66 9 years ago

I just tried reseating the game roms and that made no difference.

#69 9 years ago

I haven't seen any verification if the voltages are ok. I even looked at other postings and couldn't find anything. I just checked the voltages again and they are 134 and 113. Seems strange that they have changed since I haven't done anything to the power section of the board.

#71 9 years ago

I used all of the parts that came with the rebuild kit.

I uploaded videos of the displays to youtube. The first video is the Babcock display and the second one is the Vishay display.

#74 9 years ago

I don't know, I don't have another machine to test them in.

#76 9 years ago

Well, I hate to buy more boards I may not need, but I just ordered a new Rottendog replacement board.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Getting my machines ready for the Houston Arcade Expo that is happening in just a month.

I am helping my son move from Michigan to Houston the last week of Oct. He is also a pinball collector. I will have to let him know about the expo. Maybe he can make it to the show.

#93 9 years ago

Yes, my measurements are good except the first 2 which are 134 and 113. They are high the only question I have is if they are too high for the display to work correctly. I will find out when I get my new display board.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

You did the rebuild of the board BEFORE you got the new cables in right? I am just wondering if something was done wrong on that rebuild..

Yes I rebuilt the hv first then replaced the cables. So, at one point the displays were working fine. It is possible there is something wrong with the display board since it was working and I have been getting different results without changing anything and all of the current problems have revolved around the displays. So, it is possible the rebuild has a problem since the voltage went up after I rebuilt it. Also the Babcock display had some flakiness right when I first got the machine. One time before I touched anything the display went garbled and then started working correctly. So, I thought it might be starting to go bad and purchased the replacement display.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Were your voltages -138 and -116?

Right after rebuilding the hv they were -138 and -116, but when I checked it today it was -134 and -113.

1 week later
#101 9 years ago

Well, I just installed my new Rottendog DMD controller board. I figured I would check the voltages on that board since I was having so many problems. All of the voltages looked good except the -125v. I am getting -141 without DMD connected and -138 with DMD connected. This is very strange that it is similar to my other board. I sent an email to Rottendog to find what is going on.

#103 9 years ago

The babcock display still looks like a graphic equalizer. The Vishay display looks perfect. I haven't turned it back on because I am afraid the display is going to burn up.

#105 9 years ago

I talked to Jim at Rottendog and he told me that with that high of voltage I shouldn't turn the machine on again. I am sending the board back to him to get repaired.

1 week later
#107 9 years ago

I got my DMD controller board back from Rottendog. He didn't charge me anything. There was nothing wrong with the board. He put a note in the package to ignore the -125v test point.

This was a real learning experience for me I want to thank everyone for the help you provided.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 81.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevinm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-problem?tu=kevinm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.