(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,126 posts
  • 432 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by mad_carl
  • Topic is favorited by 158 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62F8DB72-4B4A-494A-931F-093C1D65BB8E (resized).jpeg
12CC94E8-90A3-44B3-A302-B7BB37BE054B (resized).jpeg
AED72B84-2928-4DB2-BE3A-B0796AFEC1CA (resized).jpeg
20240410_204723 (resized).jpg
20240410_204743 (resized).jpg
56ceff4d-5c01-4faf-9720-5f161deb476aphoto (resized).jpeg
2356D138-72FA-46FA-94AD-436C05E2ADA2 (resized).jpeg
7D8EB296-FE7D-4F2E-9238-A589531F162A (resized).jpeg
F3CD35BC-7D5A-439C-8769-A9774DCDA35E (resized).jpeg
29B7FE43-EFF6-4245-88E5-A0D1A3EB6E71 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240405_075425_Chrome (resized).jpg
20240328_124242 (resized).jpg
20240328_124229_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_0541 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0546 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#643 6 years ago

Joined the club recently, my MPU has a rom labeled PX-3? It doesn't seem to match the roms on ipdb, does anyone know how old it is? I assume it's not the newest, which means I'll have to burn a copy of the newest (L-4?) rom or the home roms. I don't care about swearing, is there any other notable differences for the home rom?

Anyone got a spare translite?

#646 6 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

not sure there is that much to gain

I'm pretty sure line has a fairly old copy, so I need to burn a ROM either way... Interested in the little Gameplay differences, if any...

2 months later
#668 6 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I'm sure it has to do with how you relight the quick freeze in the left inlane. I can check when I'm off work later.

The manual has an explanation

1 week later
#676 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

I have noticed that the three lights for the car crash are different on some tables, mine are just yellow lights but I have seen others that are labeled 10 million, 6 million , 3 million ,from bottom to top. Maybe the later production models have the labels? Any thoughts out there? Just curious....

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=662

#682 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

Need some advise please from my fellow pinsiders, this is a follow up to free play dot question.My demo man resets to factory settings on every power up. I have changed the batteries and it still does it. Have to go into the menu every time to set it to free and the free play dot is still there. It seems to play fine and I ran through every test in the menu and everything seems to be fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Whatever is causing the dot should show up in the test report. When you enter the menu the first thing it should say is press enter for test report.

Any corrosion on the batteries? You'll have to check how the battery holder connects to the board too. Probably the battery voltage isn't actually reaching the ram

#684 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

No corrosion on the batteries, I will check the connection to the board as its a remote battery holder. The only thing the test report says is set the date and time....weird

And you've tried using the buttons (+ or enter, can't remember exactly) to page to other possible errors (there might be more than one). does the dot go away if you set the time?

#688 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

Update, the dot does go away when I set the clock but there is still the resetting issue upon power up. Have checked the connections and checked voltage getting to the board and it seems its getting 8 volts which seems high but my meter is old and may not be accurate....Hmmm.

Should definitely be getting 5vdc or less where the battery pack connects to the board. Also check pin 28 of U8 (the ram), should be <5V there when powered off.

1 week later
#694 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

Oh forgot to ask what does pin 28 of u8 do?

That's where the battery enters the ram. If it's not getting there the data won't be saved.

#705 6 years ago
Quoted from Tim_may:

You can always add NVRAM and ditch the batteries altogether.

But then the clock would never work...

#707 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

Turns out the remote battery holder was bad.Process of elimination got to the bottom of it. Put the batteries in the original holder and all good.. using lithiums and plan to change yearly so should be no problem.Might even just get a new remote.
On another thought, has anyone encountered only one ball for museum multi ball. Periodically my pin only gives me the ball that was in the top lock and not one from the trough...opto,s seem to work fine so just seeing if there has been this problem before and what the fix might be. Thanks Dmen!

See if wiggling back and forth helps. Could be divots in the trough

#712 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

The tilt on this bad boy is really sensitive. However I have set it, it double warns and tilts instantly. Any ideas?

I've seen someone do a trick of sticking an ear plug in the loop where the bob hangs to deaden the swinging

1 week later
#713 6 years ago

An anyone explain how to get my claw back in range? The optos were bad, so I replaced them and verified they both work. When I turned the game on after installing them, the claw moved to the left, past the leftmost lane, and stopped, but the game still says the claw is out of range, and I have no way to move it?

#715 6 years ago
Quoted from AmpeRage:

Gently force it to move right. Put it in test mode and move Claw in middle and move it with your hand to right just a little bit. If it still complains about being out of range then move it little more. You can feel little resistance when the gears are moving.

I can't turn much by hand. Do you know which way 'right' and 'left' are? (clockwise?) I was able to get it just at the edge with lot of work, and when I selected 'move right' (which I thought would bring it counter-clockwise towards the elevator) it moved the other way a bit and then it was back out of range! Wondering if my controller board might have an issue if it's going backwards.

#717 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Are you using the sabe board or a new one? I had the same issue with a new board, opto sensors were smaller than the originals. I had to put the board closer to the cams by using thin washers, problem fixed.

All original boards, as far as I know. I'm going to try using my motor controller in a friend's game, see if it works. Considering how much other stuff on this game was broken it won't surprise me

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I have outdated firmware (the original), and I'd like to update it. I also have the original sound rom, is that worth the update? It's a bit on the pricy side....

Is it even compatible?

#721 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Well I can buy the Roms with updated firmware and sound from thatpinballplace.com. I don't know why they wouldn't be?

If you buy all new you'll be fine, but I'm not sure offhand if newer game roms would be compatible with older sound

#727 6 years ago

Pinbits makes a cool lexan protector which will get rid of it completely and won't ding your balls up when they fall in

#731 6 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

The flipper parts are ok,but you need stronger coil FL-11629.
FL-11630 that you marked is weak.
Also check if your Flipper controller board is very well secured on the metal plate.

I think the upper flipper is the 11630

3 weeks later
#783 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I definitely like how the custom code eliminates the ability to easily start the multiballs via the cryo claw

Just install soren's mod if that's your only issue

#785 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Now if someone can just come up with a tweak that gives

I'd love something to balance the car crash and modes, and maybe make retina scan give some useful (computer style) awards

2 weeks later
#796 6 years ago

Can you take a picture of the harness?

If the dmd or board is suspect, first thing to do is unplug the dmd to prevent damage. Check the voltages coming out of the dmd board. If they're incorrect, rebuild the hv section or buy a new board. Those boards always get hot so it might not be a problem.

That psu shouldn't be there. The mpu gets its 5v from the driver board. As does the dmd board... Check the 5v test point and fix that if there's a problem, take the other psu out.

Vuk firing is probably an opto problem.

Check diodes on the coils if they're resetting the mpu.

#798 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

ok, yes a couple diodes are out on the right flipper, not sure what else is broken as its quite the basket case.
it also has a ton of bulbs out, like more bulbs are out than working...

When I got mine only three bulbs in the whole machine worked... Thought for sure there must be a board/connector problem, or at least bad solder joints on the lamp boards

#800 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Yeah, i was/am half thinking a lamp circuit is out, but the bulbs so far have actually been blown...
On yours, what did it end up being?

Lots of bad bulbs. Replaced every one and they all worked. Not even a bad socket or joint anywhere

#806 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

I'll try that. I will probably just replace them while I'm down there. However, when the ball goes into the elevator it won't move. I get a credit dot and when I go run an elevator test, it doesn't move. I go jiggle motor and wires around and then it works. This leads me to believe it's most likely not the opto. What do you think?

Maybe a bad solder joint on the EMI board?

#810 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Checked the EMI board like Zacaj suggested. J2 is pretty loose and it makes sense that could be the culprit since the issue is intermittant. A video is attached below. The fix for this seems like I might need a new female end of the plug, I tried bending the tabs down that are in the plug to get a more secure fit, but it still wiggles around like in the video. Does anyone have another fix?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14364xYQgQtZ1fFbecLV2QVp5JLC5gOhz/view?usp=sharing

Does it have a key in the middle slot? Might try taking it out if so. Otherwise, I'd replace it

2 weeks later
#836 6 years ago

Finally got mine together today, but it's having some weird problems with the elevator. Sometimes the ball goes in there and then it just sits. If I go into switch test it says the elevator hold is registering properly and it's a new opto... Also occasionally when the claw is lit I'll shoot the ball in and the claw will just move it to the acmag lane without letting me control it or giving me control of the claw? Always works fine and passes the claw test, no errors

Anyone seen either of these?

#840 6 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So after the crane gets to the ascmag lane can you move it to the lane you want then drop it ? Mine always goes to the the ascmag lane first .

Mine does this when the claw is working, but sometimes it won't give the "x awards left for demolition time", won't play the claw music, just picks up the ball, moves to acmag, and drops it. "claw ready" stays on, and if I just shoot it up the right ramp again it'll work fine. It basically acts like the claw isn't lit and a ball falls in the elevator somehow, except the claw is lit.

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's bouncing so hard into the elavator it's getting past the opto for a second before settling and somehow that messes the game up, so I'm going to try some deadening foam next...

I'm on LX-4

To be very precise, from my testing:
When the ball gets into the elevator, if "claw ready is unlit", the game just picks up the ball and drops it in acmag, and seems to assume it was an airball or something.
If "claw ready" is kit, the game treats it as a successful right ramp shot and awards you a combo (if kit), then displays "x awards remaining till demolition time", picks the ball up, displays the claw instructions and timer, turns off "claw ready" and lets you drop it for an award. Usually it seems to also move to acmag before letting you take control, but I'm not sure if it always does this?

On mine, if it gets to the point of showing the "x awards" message then everything works fine, but sometimes even when claw ready is kit it acts like it isn't lit, doesn't register a ramp shot, and just removes the ball.

As another note, all this behavior seems to be independent of the right ramp entrance switch or the diverter actually being open or not.

#842 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Mine has done this as well on occasion. Is there possibly a way to adjust the optos to fix it? Mine happens so rarely that it really isn’t worth digging in to. Maybe twice in over a hundred games.

Mine happens about 1/3 of the time. I haven't seen any adjustment to any of the optos

#846 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

hey guys, did a full flipper rebuild and they are working great, but I have a question about the CORRECT COILS.
Operator and Owners Manual have conflicting info regarding FL-11630 references in some tables and diagrams and yet FL-11629 in other pages in the manuals.
Seeing as the right ramp is pretty steep, how should this game play? My PF is at 6 degrees and the right ramp is a beast!
I can only crest it if the ball comes down from the left inlane OR there is some redirection of inertia. If i am cradling the ball with the left flipper, i usually get about 3/4 the way up the ramp and its a 75% down the drain.
I know that ramps are supposed to be the challenge and its high-risk/high reward, so is this setup right? or should that right ramp be able to be hit anytime with that left flipper?

Mine flies around the right ramp at 7.5 degree incline with the FL-11629s specified in the solenoid table. Technically there's no way to tell for sure which one is correct (although a friend with a HUO's DM plays similar to mine so I assume it has FL-11629s) so I always err with whatever of the coils in question is stronger

#852 6 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Correct. The claw itself is only a magnet.

But it has left/right optos?

#856 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

The position "tracking" is very primitive.
There is a sensor for max left and a sensor for max right.
They are all in the claw test and you should see only the position left closed on switch levels

If the left one was slightly flaky and dipped out while the claw was all the way to right over the elevator, that would put the claw out of range for a second, maybe that's enough to screw up the logic and just get it stuck?

1 month later
#873 6 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

3) Any tips on how to optimize the game is appreciated. Physically or in the code. I did try disabling the claw as others have mentioned, but I didn't really like that I was losing control over which modes to play, which I like to switch up from game to game.

I set my computer down to 8 combos, and changed the claw settings so "Access Claw" is lit on the inlane, instead of the claw itself being lit from the start, that way you can use the right ramp to get a quick freeze in before using the claw

1 week later
#878 6 years ago
Quoted from mymalibu:

Hello fellow demo man owners. Mine does not give the ball into the trough for multi ball. Any thoughts as to what might be the problem? Any help is appreciated.

Have the balls rolled all the way to the right where the kicker is?

#883 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Finally got my DM running again (and it's neighbor, JD) after a long battle with bad cables and boards. I do have a questin.
While troubleshooting, I started a game with the soundboard and the top right board (opto?) disconnected and it seemed to play fine. What the heck does that thing even do!?

That small board just drives flashers. Opto is mounted under the playfield

1 month later
#907 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Does everyone else's have the FL-11629 coils for main flippers?

I've got brand new FL-11629 in both lower flippers and never have any trouble making the ramps at 7 degrees.

#909 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Sold my demo man to spiromeo47 a couple days ago. He sent me a video of the elevator lifting the ball to the claw but the claw not grabbing it. He has a “magnet broken” error. It was working when he picked it up, in fact he played a game and got a right ramp shot and used it. I’m trying to help him trouble shoot the issue. My best guess is a solder broke and a wire came off? Any thoughts on what we should try? I read a post from a while back that said someone found fuse 901 popped and that fixed it but that’s on the fliptronic ii controller board. Is that related to the claw magnet somehow?

The claw magnet is powered by one of the spare transistors on the fliptronic board.

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

So it could in theory be a fuse then? I assume the power to the transistor runs through one of the fuses?
Also remind me, since I can’t open it and look anymore, the fliptronic board is in the back box?

Yes. Upper left board.

#913 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Is this game typically a drain hog? car crash, either ramp coming back down, post next to left ramp, all these bring it SDTM. I have my demo man level from side to side. Also after retina scan kickout it 60% of the time drains to outlane, I have adjusted the post to make the opening as small as possible.

Car crash and ramp rejects can be bad, yeah. My left ramp is much worse than my right, but I rarely fail to make the left so it's alright. There's an option on some rom versions for a ball save from the car crash.

I've never seen retina scan kickout drain before. Maybe arm is bent?

4 months later
#974 5 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

1) When the ball is launched, its 50/50 for if it will make it around the back and to the upper flipper for a skill shot try. Is this normal? There is a small playfield plastic missing by the lane just below the pops. It appears to me the ball is hitting the rubber around that post and causing it to loose momentum.

Technically it should go around 100%, but sadly that doesn't happen. That plastic is usually missing because the ball shatters it. You can try to reaim your shooter mech to get the ball to go around more, but I think somewhat it's just a badly designed area. I'm experimenting with removing the one way gate in front of the upper kickout hole as I see the ball hit it sometimes, but other times the ball just comes in low enough it hits the lower guide (behind the center ramp)

Quoted from Walamab:

2) The police car does not return to the initial position after being hit. It will eventually return after additional gameplay (pops, flippers, nudging etc.). Is this normal?

No. It's possible its wheels have come off or something else is getting it stuck. Both my cars return to their rest point immediately.

#977 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Unfortunately, that's just par for the course. Mine is probably closer to 70/30, but it definitely gets hung up quite often.

I made sure to adjust everything on mine when I had it torn down, and I was able to get probably like 95/5, but over time it's been worsening. Now back to maybe 60/40, so I guess I'll have to go play with it again. Really aggravating when it fails

Quoted from Walamab:

Ok thanks. I have a replacement plastic. I think I'll just leave it off .

That's what I did too. I even ordered a plastic protector set, but sadly it didn't include one for this piece

#985 5 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

For the ones with DM that don't make the loop 100 % . When you make a right loop shot from the flippers does the ball make it cleanly around ? Or is the Auto - plunge weak ?

I don't make the right loop too often but I've never noticed an issue. My auto plunge isn't weak, when it does make it around it's fast enough that it's a challenge to hit the computer hole. The problem is that the ball seems to deflect sometimes into the lower guide. I'm not sure where the variance is coming from.

2 weeks later
#996 5 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Hmm, there should be a bolt that sticks out from the left side of the center gate chute. Usually the wire gate can jam on it and stay open or the gate can br improved and recreated from piano wire.

I was able to buy a new gate from marco recently to replace my custom one

2 months later
#1048 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I may end up with an extra olds 44 if my buddy doesn't take it. Not sure what they go for. Prob less than I paid.
[quoted image]

$2.99?? I'll give you $3!

#1053 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

What playfield angle does everyone play your demo man at?

7.6 iirc

#1055 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Whoa Nellie. That's steep. Super fast and unforgiving I imagine? No issues getting up ramps?

No issues with the ramps. I tried it at 6.5 and it was just so slow and boring. Could go make dinner while waiting for the ball to come to a flipper.

2 weeks later
#1078 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

Just got a DM and loving it!
But, I have an issue that I need help. At Gameover, Simon Phoenix keeps asking me if I want him to play the F’ng accordion? I changed the Adult mode language and music to NO, but he keeps asking.....lol. What am I missing?
By the way, I find this comment funny, but not sure it’s appropriate for the little ones that visit our Gameroom.

You could probably just turn off the match.

#1085 5 years ago

If anyone knew someone with a 3D printer, those probably cost like $0.50 of actual material each.

#1105 5 years ago

My claw always drops the ball instantly when you hit either button, regardless of position

#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

I’m still getting 2 balls kicked out on fortress instead of one. Even manually throwing the ball to make sure I hit nothing else. Start game, activate crane, hit crane, drop into freeze, hit multiball shot. 2 balls kick out and really quick. Right when first ball is launched second one is ejected into lane. I’ve notice on museum when there should be 2 balls kicked out there is a little delay between them but not here so something’s up.
Secondly I’ve had some issues I haven’t found in researching. A few times I’ve got a divertor stuck open error which points to switches according to manual. I’ve got magnet broken error here and there and during gameplay crane will start going back and forth and elevator goes up and down. They’ll keep doing it until I shoot a ball up there and then the crane gives the ball back and they stop. I’m guessing from all these things the game is losing track of balls or some switch errors. Everything goes ok in test though. Based on these symptoms is there particular switches to look at?
I’m really enjoying playing the game but the weirdness gets annoying and I can’t get through a whole game without one of these happening.

Sounds like you have some opto issues... Something in the trough and probably the one at the top of the elevator. I'd just replace that one to start.

#1120 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Yep, thats what mine did when the elevator opto would fail. Mine would do that after warmup. Also the frame holding the board on the claw can be easily bent down a touch and the optos don't see the claw. Found that out after replacing an opto to no avail. That claw can be iffy.

Yeah when having issues with it the best thing I think is to just replace all the claw/elevator optos and repin their connectors. That's what it took to finally iron mine out

3 weeks later
#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've noticed lately that I no longer am getting a ball save when I hit the car crash shot. I have the car crash ball save set to "easy", which is the factory default. I checked, and both optos as well as the red target are registering correctly in switch test. It even shows the "double car crash" award on the screen when I nail the shot solidly. Any theories?

I think only the back target triggers it? At least, definitely not the first opto. Mine seems to come and go

1 week later
2 weeks later
#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

I ordered them from eBay. How many Ramos need to be removed to replace them? Anyone have advice on what order removing parts to get to the cars?
Thanks
Ken

You can probably replace the front one be just removing the metal plate it rests on (that the ball hits) and rolling the car in.

There's a spring steel flap between the two cars so I'm not sure if you could get the back car past that or if the flap could be easily removed.

#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

Can I ask your expert opinion? I noticed the right Jet Bumper on Demo Man is not working. I did the switch test by tripping the bumper and it appears to work fine. The light flashes when I trip the bumper but the solenoid does not fire. Would it be the coil, or possible the transistor Q50 on the driver board. It doesn't effect gameplay much, but it's an annoyance

The light should be on normally, not connected to the firing of the coil. Does the coil fire in coil test? Is the light an led?

3 weeks later
#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

As stated, adjust the settings. My DM is one of my most difficult games. What I've done:
- Jacked up the angle to max
- Claw memory off
- Increased xball requirements
- house rule: you can never choose the same claw award twice. Wish this was in the code.

Soren has a rom to prevent repeating the lock freezes.

#1228 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I just have my claw disabled. Yes, it stinks that a cool toy doesn't get used, but the game is much more challenging this way.

I hate how it removes the strategy from the game. DM with sorens rom had a great risk reward for when you want to use your lock freeze, as well as stuff like situationally choosing which other mode to use based on what else is going on.

Without the claw you either just stop thinking about that stuff or you have to try not to hit the right ramp for as long as possible which sucks on a flowy game.

DM with claw is one of my top modern games. Without it I don't even find it worth playing.

#1241 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Anyone have a fix for rejects on the left loop mb/xball shot? The scoop rejects about 20% of the time on my machine.

I put some deadening foam from Marco on the right side of the scoop, helped a lot

#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is everything changed in Soren's version? I really like the original music that comes on the game.

The only thing that's changed in Soren's version is the lock freeze claw award rule.

#1247 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/four-new-pinball-software-mods-dm-sttng-hs2-jy#post-3931025-parent

I don't know whether any rom burning places will do it, I just burn my own. If someone wants to mail me a blank rom and a return shipping sticker I can burn you one

2 weeks later
#1258 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I would like to take you up on this offer, however I don't know much about these blank roms. I did some quick searches and it seems like you need specific rom chips. Can someone please point me in the right direction in purchasing some blank roms? Thanks!

Marco is usually a good source for blank EPROMs. For WPC the EPROM type just depends on the size of the ROM image you want to burn: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-eprom-rom-file-sizes#post-4682476

#1264 5 years ago

My flipper guides were pretty beat up, and cliffy didn't have them, so I scanned them in and worked it out with him. Enhanced Demo Man flipper guides are now available, if anyone else needs some. Installed mine last night and they work great.

#1276 5 years ago

There isn't an opto for the eyeball I don't think just the target at the back

#1284 5 years ago

I just welded mine back together

1 week later
#1316 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

Gearbox turns smooth. But a lot of resistance to run when motor is in (don't know if this is normal or not).

I cant even move my claw at all by hand.

Quoted from djxealot:

Suspicion still on the motor itself.

Motors can't just break in one direction.

Quoted from djxealot:

Since claw moves right properly, I suspect power and power board is fine.

Boards could easily break in only one directions

#1319 5 years ago
Quoted from djxealot:

Well it's not the opto board, that works flawlessly in both directions. I suppose it's possible the power driver board in the backbox could have issues

There's a separate transistor for each direction on the driver board, and those in turn control a motor board under the playfield.

#1324 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

My claw is misbehaving as well. It works sometimes but a lot of times it moves to the right to grab the ball. The elevator moves up and the claw grabs the ball. After a few seconds, it drops the ball and then waits for ball search. Sometimes it will grab the ball during ball search and drop it down the ACMAG lane. Other times it just sits there while the elevator goes up and down.
Mine also acts weird in test. Right is fine, but left gets "jerky". You have to hit the button about a hundred times to make it go left.
I was thinking of just replacing the opto board, but I can't find the thing anywhere.

I had that issue too. In the end I replaced my claw optos and repinned the connector, and it's been rock solid since. The software doesn't seem able to handle even the tiniest of blips in the signal

#1326 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Let's just pretend that I'm not skilled at board repair and wanted to just buy a new board....

I don't know if anywhere makes them... Couldn't find one when I had the issue.

2 weeks later
#1367 5 years ago

Did anyone else even ever make them?

It's a pretty simple board. Besides from replacing the optos and header, not much can really be done...

1 month later
#1412 4 years ago
Quoted from piccolohl:

Is there anything specific that needs to happen in the left loop to award an extra ball(that youve unlocked) or start a multiball if you have balls frozen? It seems like half the time nothing happens going through it, but I don't know if it needs to go all the way around, or if it drops down in MTL is fine too.

It shouldn't start MB unless you go in the hole in the back

Quoted from piccolohl:

What is the ideal angle for the machine? Mine is definitely a little too steep and the middle ramp almost always goes up 95% then falls back down(cryo claw ramp too but not as often cause it isn't as steep)

I keep mine at about 7 degrees

#1421 4 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

When I wanted a set I placed an ad on the marketplace here and Mr Pin and got several replies. I bought an NOS set. If you go that route soak them in warm water first I had some ink peel

I had ink loss on two new sets too

#1425 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

The rules in this game are little confusing to me and I havent found a explanation yet. But I think the hurry only happens once per game. What starts car chase is still unknown to me still. "Laser millions " and "explode"s just seem to happen as well.

Car chase is started when prison break is collected or times out

2 weeks later
#1448 4 years ago

Would it be possible to extend the floor where the plastic subway enters to avoid further damage to it?

2 weeks later
#1461 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Anyone have a recommendation on adjustments if the ball isn't making it around to the upper left flipper from the shooter lane (looks like it curls in too much and then bounces into pops)? Seems to be fine from the right orbit shot though. Coil angle/power adjustment?

Go in ball trough test and then start loosening the coil bracket and playing with it.

#1468 4 years ago

I don't think the plunge should ever go into the pops, but my scoop always does. Also my pops will push the ball back up a lot, so I can sometimes get two full completions

1 week later
#1475 4 years ago

Can probably get at them from the side if you remove the claw first? Won't be fun either way

2 months later
#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Trying to find what exactly that version does? Can you elaborate?

It's a small mod, just makes it so you can't use 'lock freeze' from the claw repeatedly. Makes the game a lot more balanced, imo. Play more of the field

1 month later
#1550 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Those posts definitely shouldn't be there. I can't even fathom why someone would have installed them.

Probably to prevent balls getting stuck behind the rubber

1 week later
#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

From my recent restoration I always horde extras and spares because I’m crazy. The one on the left came with the game. Wrong eyeball. I believe I got this from an Australia website but I haven’t found it yet. I will post when I find it.[quoted image][quoted image]

My original ball from Austria looked just like the one on the left.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#1618 4 years ago

They had plastics a while ago, are they just out of stock? I got a new set last year

1 month later
#1629 4 years ago

You might need just a new mpu rom then, some home roms only allow free play.

3 weeks later
#1648 4 years ago
Quoted from gtsgeoff:

Just wondering who you were refering to?

Marco

1 week later
#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

Thanks Beechwood! I will try the hold technique later today.
What’s the procedure to drop the ball from the magnet? Using both top buttons? Or just use any of them?

Launch button should drop it too

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

Thanks for the extra information. I tested again, holding both trigger buttons doesn’t change anything, still doesn’t work. I can drop on Simon Chase but any other claw position is acting up whether I use one trigger button, both trigger buttons simultaneously or just the cabinet Ball Launch button (which otherwise works fine). I read A LOT of threads about the claw but can’t remember seeing anything similar :/

All the trigger buttons work in switch test?

1 week later
#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Anyone have experience with Mantis? My order shows processing, but not shipped for a few days now.

I also ordered from them recently (27th), still hasn't shipped :/

2 months later
#1735 3 years ago

Life hack: just buy a burner for $60 and some roms for $4 each

#1737 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Neither one of you are wrong.
I'm just a cheapskate at heart, and I'd been waffling on buying a burner for oh...8 years. I finally bought one yesterday, and snagged some used EPROMS off ebay (pulls from Williams games that match my existing chips, aside from the labels being for a different game), and a UV eraser. So...taking a small gamble that some of these 1.75/chip pulls may not work even though the ebay ad says they do...
But for less than the price as two games worth of EPROMS, now I'll just be able to source chips wherever I can get the best deal, erase em, and write my own. It's honestly something I should've done years ago. *shrug* Oh, plus I might be able to unbrick my Wii that had Homebrew Channel on it that's been sitting in a box for like 7 years now, too.

Luckily for me, my first game needed all three new roms, so when I looked at the per price of getting them burned vs a burner, I bought the burner. Probably burned 100s of roms since then, but I might never have bought it if I just needed one rom burned one day

2 weeks later
#1758 3 years ago

Has anyone tried putting an extra strong FL-17636 flipper coil on their left flipper? Even after rebuilds, etc I still have trouble making the right ramp well...

5 months later
#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Just joined the club today. So far I like it, plan to do some maintenance, but wanted to play it for a week or so to see if there are any other quirks.
Only issue I have is flipper buttons feel too soft, I'm used to stern spike 2 era. I will be ordering some buttons is there a certain kind these games work well with?
[quoted image]

You can try some new plastic interruptors for the optos, they're much stiffer than the 25 year old ones these games come with

1 week later
#1846 3 years ago

I have 2smd frosted cool white in my gi and it looks great

#1863 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Anyone know or also have this rom version?
I dont have much detail on it other than ball save runs pretty long (maybe longer than 15 seconds) but if i do ball save settings > 4, it wont ball save at all.
and i can select ball freeze more than once per ball.
[quoted image]

Ball save 5 = no ball save on every version I've seen.
On all roms besides sorens you can lock freeze as often as you want

#1868 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

What is the selection for the most ball saves?
I read the manual an tbh i like data east manuals better.
I dont know if the settings are for 1,2,3,4,5 or are they taking the factory defaut setting and applyig to ball 1,2,3?
And there is no further info on the other settings other than factory default...

I've never been able to figure it out. I've heard people say that earlier WPC ball save is "this is how many balls will be saved", but not sure if that's over the whole game, per ball, etc. Does it apply to multiballs? No idea. I assume a bigger number is better, and the 5 = no ball save is a bug, so I leave mine on 4

1 week later
#1888 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

So im curious.....
When you guys are playing and going for "Demolition Time", What order do you complete the cryo claw?
I always go the same route....
1) ACMAG
2) Capture Simon
3) Super jets
4) Lock Freeze
5) Prison Break
I always leave prison break last so the ball drops right to the upper flipper for an easy shot to the computer. Plus it doubles the prison break score right away.
Whats your path?

I always start with Prison break, since it's really fun and I like to have some time to find the ramp shots.
Then usually super jets just to get it out of the way, and on my game occasionally if you drop it on super jets it'll roll into prison break instead, so you don't want that happening as your last choice when you're already anxious.
At this point I'll take Lock Freeze depending on what ball I'm on, what mutliball is lit, etc. Don't want to use it too early, don't want to get game over without using it. Or I'll skip to one of the next to awards first and come back to Lock Freeze
If I don't think it's time to use lock Freeze Yet, I'll go ACMAG
Then I leave Capture Simon for last because it's boring so I can just ignore it and start Demolition Time

#1891 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

gives u a change to load up the bonus multiplier as acmag shots roll right.

Mine pretty much always rolls left Super hard to ever get into the pops

1 month later
#1936 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

When the ball is launched from the shooter lane, should it be a fast, smooth loop around to the upper flipper? Mine is usually clunky at the top middle somewhere and slows the ball down to go past the upper flipper. Hard to see what it’s hitting or if this is normal?

Mine comes around to the upper flipper probably 99/100 times, usually almost too fast to hit it into the scoop. I had to play around with the alignment of everything a bunch when I shopped it

#1938 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

You don’t want scoop you want ramp for skill shot

Nah I want scoop -> right inlane -> left ramp to get my freeze

2 months later
#1996 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Has anyone had to adjust the swing of the claw? The arm doesn't seem to travel enough to reach the ACMAG drop at the far left, just short...pulling off the plastic's on top of it...looks like a PITA just wondered if there is a simpler way I'm not seeing before I get into removing ramps and such...

Mine very barely makes it. You can't really change the range of motion of the claw, only align it (or the plastic) differently. I'd try to move the plastic where the ball drops first if possible

#1998 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

yeah? there isn't a set screw somewhere that sets the arm ?..I'll look at the plastic...but it didn't look to "movable"

There's a set screw on the arm but the shaft has a flat side for it

5 months later
#2103 2 years ago

I prefer it without the profanity roms. They seem more like a joke. Funny for five minutes or to show your friends, but

1 month later
#2136 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Cleaned optos, in test : switch edges all though optos are closed when balls are in and all are open when they are out of the game.
Did a reseat of the connectors. All cables are tightly connected...
anything else I could check ?

Check that each opto turns off correctly while you eject balls one at a time

3 weeks later
#2157 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Is it normal the right ramp when not shot over the top in 98% leads to STDM ? or is there an adjustment to make?

I've developed a 'shimmy' I do back and forth as the ball rolls back down which can often get it to the tip of a flipper, but, yeah, it's deadly

4 months later
#2391 2 years ago
Quoted from Phoerber:

Upon dropping the ball from the cryo-claw into the Prison Break mode start, if you shoot the ball directly from the upper flipper into the hole just above the u-turn ramp entrance: You double the mode value! "You really licked his ass!!!" ...gotta love Sandy. Hit me up if you need a set of profanity chips!

Or hit the side ramp for triple

1 week later
#2408 2 years ago

Check out the third multiball. I played some proto rom once where it had an entirely different ruleset than whats in the regular roms. Not sure which one it was though

2 months later
#2574 1 year ago

Might be the case that, if no switch is triggered in a certain amount of time, it defaults to super pops or something?

3 weeks later
#2593 1 year ago
Quoted from xaviershay:

Hello! Having a problem with my Demolition Man that I'm not sure how to debug (I'm extremely new to maintenance!).
About 10-20% time when shooting claw, the game doesn't "register" that the ball is sitting in the elevator. I haven't quite figured out a pattern for when this occurs. The ball search routine will push the ball up into claw (which will hold for a bit then drop back down), but I can't move the claw because the machine just thinks the ball is still on the playfield. Here is a video showing the ball getting stuck, and the game state not progressing (you can infer from the DMD): https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP8A3JydhHm2KPLumIISZDDPzuqC7eLzNZ9sJcP
I'm looking for suggestions on how to debug, I don't quite have a mental model for how all this works yet.
* I think there's an opto on the elevator (from visual inspection, and I think confirmed by assembly diagram in manual page 2-25) which I'm going to clean. But this doesn't feel right to me - in ball search mode the ball is physically taken out of the elevator then put back in (you can see this in video above), and nudging/jiggling the ball around doesn't fix. Given this works most of the time, I would expect that kind of replacement/movement to generally fix - which it doesn't.
* I feel like there might be another switch or something that is getting missed but not sure how to locate it.
* The only fix I've found is to restart the machine, but even that only works sometimes - the regular startup routine will often pick up the ball and drop it in acmag, but just as often the claw doesn't magnetize, as seen in this video: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNLDWa8LCshauRzg_TRxBE50zGmyOBZrLd-pxky
Would welcome any suggestions or mental models to help me work through this problem. Thank you!

I had a similar issue, but I realized eventually that it only happened after the game had been on for a while, so I completely rebuilt the power supply and haven't had the issue again so far

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 81.95
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-owners-club-members-only?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.