(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,752 posts
  • 308 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Scoot
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 522 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191229_095818 (resized).jpg
58CA2EF2-F021-4FC4-9081-CC3BD7E32020 (resized).jpeg
BR , DM , Car show , Girls  etc 068 (resized).jpeg
BR , DM , Car show , Girls  etc 052 (resized).jpg
BR , DM , Car show , Girls  etc 023 (resized).jpeg
BR , DM , Car show , Girls  etc 020 (resized).jpeg
Photo May 24, 6 20 57 PM (resized).jpg
Photo May 26, 5 21 25 PM (resized).jpg
20200518_152547 (resized).jpg
20200518_152540 (resized).jpg
20200518_152421 (resized).jpg
20200518_152204 (resized).jpg
20200518_152155 (resized).jpg
20200518_151851 (resized).jpg
20200518_151842 (resized).jpg
20200518_151711 (resized).jpg

There are 1752 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 36.
#351 5 years ago

I'll do my best to help, but I'm still new at all this.

Quoted from Jimid34:

Hey,

I just got a DM last week for my first at home pinball purchase!! It is a great game. Have a few newbie questions for anyone out there who has worked on this game before.

Congratulations on your DM. I really love mine. We've put about 1,500 games on it since I bought it back in October.

Quoted from Jimid34:

1) The MTL lanes at the top of the game. I think the M and L lane wiring is backwards. When you go through the "M" lane, the "L" letter lights up (and visa versa). I looked under the playfield to switch the wires to the MLT lights, but they don't seem long enough to switch. Any other ideas?

Not quite sure on this. You can go into the switch test menu and then activate the switch manually. Then look up the switch number in the manual and make sure it's the correct switch. Maybe the lights are wired backwards and the switches are correct?

Quoted from Jimid34:

2) My leg levelers are REALLY rusty. Put WD40 on them a couple of times, and still can't wrench them free. Any other ideas? I am about to just say screw it, and buy new legs and levelers. Any suggestions so I don't have to lift up this heavy ass game to level it....

New legs, cabinet protectors and leg levelers might just be in your future. Not to sound rude, but you broke the lock nut free first, right? If so, you can try something like PB Blaster to break them loose. You should be able to get that at any auto parts store.

Quoted from Jimid34:

3) A couple of the narrow yellow targets (not the round ones), lean over in the holes they are in after some game play. I moved and straightened them up, but they just keep going back. How do you keep these "Centered" in the holes?

You don't. I tried centering mine about 10 times before I gave up.

Quoted from Jimid34:

4) Above the "Computer" hole, there appears to be some piece missing. Right now there is a clear piece of plastic wedged in there to keep balls from getting stuck in this area. Also, have a couple of cracked plastics (right side above the "Car Chase") and the right side of the playfield before the right loop. Is there a good online place to get spare plastic parts for this game?

There should be a piece of plastic above the scoop. Can you post a picture? Unfortunately, plastics are very hard to find and ramps are impossible to find. I suspect because it's not a high priced game, people don't think it's worth making spare parts.

Quoted from Jimid34:

5) My cryo-claw does not go all the way to the ATMAG slot, sometimes. I have moved it over to the left a couple of times. Is there a way I should be adjusting this under the playfield so this works 100% of the time, instead of physically moving it into place when this happens?

I haven't had this issue, thank goodness, but I've read that the optos are the first thing to check.

Quoted from Jimid34:

6) Man, I make a perfect, hard shoot up the left loop for an extra ball or multiball, and sometimes it goes through to the MTL lanes or back down the left loop. Is this normal? Is there something to "adjust" to help this issue?

7) My lockdown bar seems "loose". If you look at the holes and then slide the yellow lever in the coin door area to the closed position, the left bar is nice and long in the hole, but the right one doesn't go in as far. Is there a way to adjust this so the right one works the same as the left bar?

You'll want to go to the store and buy some weatherstripping foam. That stuff with the sticky back. Cut a square about 2" x 1" and stick it inside the scoop for the extra ball shot right where the ball would hit the scoop. Make sure you put it lower than you think it should be. I kept putting mine too high and I had to move it down.

Play a game, test and move it if necessary. Mine went from being about 30% effective to about 80-90% effective. It still hops out sometimes, but it's much, much better. It was always so frustrating because that shot is hard enough anyway.

You might also have to bend the gate a little. When you look back there, you'll see an "L" shaped gate thing that keeps the ball from bouncing back. I think from all the thousands of games on mine, it got bent forward allowing more room for the ball to hop out of the scoop. Be careful bending it so you don't break anything.

As for the lockdown bar, mine used to be the same way. If you take off the lockdown bar, you'll see two flathead brass screws. Look in the slots and start turning the screws. You'll see how it works to tighten and loosen the lockdown bar. I would recommend that you take some of that foam weatherstripping and run it along the inside of the lockdown bar. It stopped mine from sounding like the glass was going to break every time I nudged the machine.

#352 5 years ago

Nice, I will have to try that scoop remedy also. I didn't realize the ball was going in and popping out,I just assumed it was bypassing it all together,lol.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimid34:

1) The MTL lanes at the top of the game. I think the M and L lane wiring is backwards. When you go through the "M" lane, the "L" letter lights up (and visa versa). I looked under the playfield to switch the wires to the MLT lights, but they don't seem long enough to switch. Any other ideas?

I took my handles off to get chromed and mine did the same thing. When I hooked them back up, it worked perfectly. maybe disconnect the handles and see what it does?

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Nice, I will have to try that scoop remedy also. I didn't realize the ball was going in and popping out,I just assumed it was bypassing it all together,lol.

I used my iPhone to take a slow motion video while my wife threw the ball around the orbit. Each time you could see it hit the inside of the scoop and fly back out.

#355 5 years ago

the most underrated Williams in the 90s, especially given its a widebody. who cares about the movie, it is a pinball combo sensations with crazy toys and layout

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

the most underrated Williams in the 90s, especially given its a widebody. who cares about the movie, it is a pinball combo sensations with crazy toys and layout

I was thinking of selling mine but strictly heen playing it the last few days and well I forgot how fast and hard it was and the combos well nothing comes close . Has a great flow and nice wizard mode and graet lighting effects think I may hold on little longer because the one I have is very nice

#357 5 years ago

The MTL lanes at the top of the game. I think the M and L lane wiring is backwards. When you go through the "M" lane, the "L" letter lights up (and visa versa). I looked under the playfield to switch the wires to the MLT lights, but they don't seem long enough to switch. Any other ideas?

All 3 lights are on the same board. Simply unscrew turn it 180 degrees and screw it back in.

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I was thinking of selling mine but strictly heen playing it the last few days and well I forgot how fast and hard it was and the combos well nothing comes close . Has a great flow and nice wizard mode and graet lighting effects think I may hold on little longer because the one I have is very nice

ya, why sell it? a great B game right here people, don't forget it.

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from RGman:

The MTL lanes at the top of the game. I think the M and L lane wiring is backwards. When you go through the "M" lane, the "L" letter lights up (and visa versa). I looked under the playfield to switch the wires to the MLT lights, but they don't seem long enough to switch. Any other ideas?
All 3 lights are on the same board. Simply unscrew turn it 180 degrees and screw it back in.

just resolder the 2 switches correctly, use some extra wire if you need it!

#360 5 years ago

Maybe just unscrew the switches and switch them around?

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

ya, why sell it? a great B game right here people, don't forget it.

Well I have limited room and Id like change things up

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Maybe just unscrew the switches and switch them around?

sure, i thought you said you didn't have enough wire length for that? just swap the switches around if so.

#363 5 years ago

Jimid34 - I had the same issue with my Demo Man when I first got it. See photo below... remove the plug, take out the 2 screws and rotate the board.

Demo Man Rollover Lights.jpg
#364 5 years ago

lol, i thought you were having the left rollover switch register as the right rollover switch and vice versa, i didn't realize you were talking about just the lamps being backwards....

DOH

#365 5 years ago

MTL Lights fixed. Thanks RGMan. That did the trick. Also, new legs and levelers on the way from Pinball Life. Scoop and lockdown bar suggestions from Spy are in progress. Thanks guys!!!

#366 5 years ago

Sign me up for the Demo man club. Super fun game. I love the handle triggers for the flippers. I picked up a project and have it now fully working but the playfield is rough.

I am in need of a bunch of plastics. I know they are in short supply and no has any anywhere. If any of you have any DM plastics that you can part with PM me which ones you have and what you would need for them and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks

1 week later
#367 5 years ago

OK, i have another thing going on with my Demo Man game. The Ramp diverter for the cryo-claw or back the right in-line is wigging out on me. It is sometimes not moving when the "Cryo-claw" light is on and it is kinda moving back and forth between open and close as you are playing the game. Any ideas on what the issue is or how / what I need to do to fix this issue? Thanks again.

#368 5 years ago

Time to sell this plastic piece online lol.

image.jpg

1 month later
#369 5 years ago

Anyone know a good source for the non ghosting rom images

#370 5 years ago

New member here. Does anybody know if they sell aftermarket handles? Also, any alternate translites out there? =]

#371 5 years ago

Does anyone recognize this bracket? I found it loose in the outhole in the back where extra ball etc. is earned. I can't seem to locate two holes that match anywhere on playfield.
Looks like the other side has been scuffed by the ball pretty good. Any help would assist greatly in putting this back together.

DemoMan_Bracket.jpg

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

New member here. Does anybody know if they sell aftermarket handles? Also, any alternate translites out there? =]

Yes they have alternate translites,I have one on mine. Not sure of the link,but they are fairly easy to find.

#373 5 years ago

I joined the Club with this beauty!
Super fast and fun game!

image.jpg image-584.jpg
#374 5 years ago

Nice! If you can find that bracket I posted a pic of above on your playfield, can you give me a clue as to where it is?
Thanks!

#375 5 years ago

I think I have shopped out and restored around 12-15 Demo mans over the years, By far my favorite playing game of them all.. I really went for my best on the one I have now, all chromed by Chestnut, Full LED kit.. came out beautiful..

BigD.. KEEP IT! You will miss it the second it is gone..

And I love the movie, there I said it, think it is a blast to watch!

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Does anyone recognize this bracket? I found it loose in the outhole in the back where extra ball etc. is earned. I can't seem to locate two holes that match anywhere on playfield.
Looks like the other side has been scuffed by the ball pretty good. Any help would assist greatly in putting this back together.
DemoMan_Bracket.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

P1040482.jpg P1040630.jpg
#377 5 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I think I have shopped out and restored around 12-15 Demo mans over the years, By far my favorite playing game of them all.. I really went for my best on the one I have now, all chromed by Chestnut, Full LED kit.. came out beautiful..
BigD.. KEEP IT! You will miss it the second it is gone..
And I love the movie, there I said it, think it is a blast to watch!

I do miss it and I love the movie also but im limited on room ,illl get it again one day once I try out all b/w dmd pins. U going to Allentown ?

#378 5 years ago

Joined the club

#379 5 years ago

No Allentown this year.

#380 5 years ago

Thanks Algrande, nice to know there are members of this club willing to help a guy out!
Double thumbs up and a virtual beer for you!

#381 5 years ago

I was thinking of heavy black powder coat on all metal parts outside. guns rails lockbar legs etc. I am tired of the chrome look.

I have been told that is dumb.

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from Sniperone:

I was thinking of heavy black powder coat on all metal parts outside. guns rails lockbar legs etc. I am tired of the chrome look.
I have been told that is dumb.

It's your game do whatever you want to to it. However, irreversible modifications can hurt resale of you ever come to that. Mine are tarnished and I thought about painting them all with a candy blue auto color. But. I probably won't lol.

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

It's your game do whatever you want to to it. However, irreversible modifications can hurt resale of you ever come to that. Mine are tarnished and I thought about painting them all with a candy blue auto color. But. I probably won't lol.

Metalic graphite on all hardware. I personally love it.

IMG_1327.jpg
#384 5 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Metalic graphite on all hardware. I personally love it.

IMG_1327.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

See I do too. I know some people want them original and others don't. I'm just all about good looking, good playing pins.

#385 5 years ago

Has anyone ever seen trigger handles covered with a blue overcoat? I went to have a look at an operator's DM today and both handles were blue. He insisted that they were like that when he bought the machine from the distributor. I have only ever seen chrome handles myself.

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Has anyone ever seen trigger handles covered with a blue overcoat? I went to have a look at an operator's DM today and both handles were blue. He insisted that they were like that when he bought the machine from the distributor. I have only ever seen chrome handles myself.

No, Personally out of all the Demo mans I have seen or worked on, they were all chrome finished or former chromed finish, I did see one set painted black, did not care for it, and it was not a great paint job.

#387 5 years ago

By the way, I ordered the alt translite from a listing in the market place, looks like the movie poster with flames between them, I honestly did not care for it at all, and put it back in the tube it came in, have it sitting in the closet now, and put the original one back in.

2 weeks later
#388 5 years ago

I just joined the club today after picking up my first pin - and was so glad it was a Demo Man! One I remember playing a lot back years ago when it was new, and now have one for myself.

#389 5 years ago

Alright, I do already have a troubleshooting question on my new DM.

I'm noticing that during at least some multiballs, it'll end multiball mode while I still have two balls in play. It handles it well, after one of the balls drains I get to keep playing until the second drains.

It hasn't happened all the time, and I haven't actually done any real investigation yet to try and figure out if it's always happening, or only under some conditions. (I'm a software QE in my day job, so I'm used to nailing down the parameters on an issue) My current thought is that maybe it's kicking out more balls than it should - launching 2 balls for the first multiball, even if I only have one freeze, and thus that's why it thinks it's over after the first drain. But I haven't tested that yet.

Wondering if anyone has advice on where to start looking to identify the problem(s).

#390 5 years ago

Sounds like a flaky trough opto which is common test them all

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sounds like a flaky trough opto which is common test them all

Yep, that would be correct. Trough 4 is flaky. Guess I have my first electronics project with the machine now.

#392 5 years ago

What's the standard outlane configuration for DM? The one I picked up has them set tight - upper post all the way down, lower post in the top hole. I'd like to adjust them to the factory default for now, and it doesn't look like that info's in the manual available on IPDB.

#393 5 years ago

That's the way mine is set up, but I need all the help I can get.

2 weeks later
#394 5 years ago

Does anybody have an alternate translite on there DM? Thinking of buying one, can't find any pics of the cab with the alt translite on.

#395 5 years ago

I vote we make a new one

anyone have some DEMO MAN High REZ scans that can be used?

1 week later
#396 5 years ago

I bought a Demo Man last year and thought I would keep it. But needed work done on the house and sold it. I immediately regretted it. I just bought another and about to restore.

Here are the pictures I did of the restoration from last year. Maybe something in here can be useful to someone:

http://purcellvillepinball.com/DemoMan2014.html

I will start to post pictures of my current restoration here:

http://purcellvillepinball.com/DM2015.html

BUT I have not finished getting the photos ready so they will not be uploaded until later tonight.

I did get my LEDs, plastic protectors, and clear plastics. I have my stash of light blue Cliffy posts, red lane guides, red posts, flipper buttons, rubbers, flippers, etc. I had to order the cryo-claw semi circle plastic from Australia. The game came with the manual, operators guide, and two replacement slings to fix the broken ones on the game. Otherwise all ramps and plastics are nice. Can't wait to get it working perfectly.

#397 5 years ago

Hi! Decided to ask this question in a separate post:

I have LA-1 game rom in the game. I will buy the latest game rom.

In test mode, the cryo-claw magnet does not work.

In test mode, the solenoid test on the magnet works but is weak.

In game mode, the magnet works great and the cryo-claw works great.

Would the newest game rom fix this or ignore since it works or try to fix something?

Thanks
Michael

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Hi! Decided to ask this question in a separate post:
I have LA-1 game rom in the game. I will buy the latest game rom.
In test mode, the cryo-claw magnet does not work.
In test mode, the solenoid test on the magnet works but is weak.
In game mode, the magnet works great and the cryo-claw works great.
Would the newest game rom fix this or ignore since it works or try to fix something?
Thanks
Michael

I wouldn't worry about it if its fine in the game .also when your testing are you holding in the coin door high voltage switch? I would track down lx- 4 rom with non ghosting patch it really helps with ghosting leds.

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I bought a Demo Man last year and thought I would keep it. But needed work done on the house and sold it. I immediately regretted it. I just bought another and about to restore.
Here are the pictures I did of the restoration from last year. Maybe something in here can be useful to someone:
http://purcellvillepinball.com/DemoMan2014.html
I will start to post pictures of my current restoration here:
http://purcellvillepinball.com/DM2015.html
BUT I have not finished getting the photos ready so they will not be uploaded until later tonight.
I did get my LEDs, plastic protectors, and clear plastics. I have my stash of light blue Cliffy posts, red lane guides, red posts, flipper buttons, rubbers, flippers, etc. I had to order the cryo-claw semi circle plastic from Australia. The game came with the manual, operators guide, and two replacement slings to fix the broken ones on the game. Otherwise all ramps and plastics are nice. Can't wait to get it working perfectly.

Looks like it will clean up nice but was definitely in a damp environment and or got liquid on the backbox at some point .

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I wouldn't worry about it if its fine in the game .also when your testing are you holding in the coin door high voltage switch? I would track down lx- 4 rom with non ghosting patch it really helps with ghosting leds.

Thanks. I meant to add that the button was pressed in during testing so all other coils worked when the magnet was weak.

I bought them in ghosting led kit from cointaker to try. I will definitely get the latest rom with non ghosting patch.

There was a posting of someone writing custom new game code. I sent an email to OP to ask how to get it but has not responded yet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
There are 1752 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside