(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_6993693_1 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6993693_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1908 (resized).jpeg
playfield damage (resized).jpeg
IMG_1909 (resized).png
62F8DB72-4B4A-494A-931F-093C1D65BB8E (resized).jpeg
12CC94E8-90A3-44B3-A302-B7BB37BE054B (resized).jpeg
AED72B84-2928-4DB2-BE3A-B0796AFEC1CA (resized).jpeg
20240410_204723 (resized).jpg
20240410_204743 (resized).jpg
56ceff4d-5c01-4faf-9720-5f161deb476aphoto (resized).jpeg
2356D138-72FA-46FA-94AD-436C05E2ADA2 (resized).jpeg
7D8EB296-FE7D-4F2E-9238-A589531F162A (resized).jpeg
F3CD35BC-7D5A-439C-8769-A9774DCDA35E (resized).jpeg
29B7FE43-EFF6-4245-88E5-A0D1A3EB6E71 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240405_075425_Chrome (resized).jpg
There are 3,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 64.
#2951 8 months ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Post a video in action once you get it installed I’m curious if it’s worth a 200 bucks

I will.

#2952 8 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Using OCD-boards (Afterglow or LedOCD) has become a must for me.
The combination of bright, even LEDs with proper fading is way better than the pulsing and "hard" on/off without these boards.
I'm now using it on all my WPC/sys11/DE/Sega games.

Do you have a link? I think I tried these on Centaur without much success. However, there was 2 options and I probably selected the wrong one.

#2953 8 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Do you have a link? I think I tried these on Centaur without much success. However, there was 2 options and I probably selected the wrong one.

I'm not aware of any LED-fading-boards that will work with a early Bally pinball like Centaur.

#2954 8 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I'm not aware of any LED-fading-boards that will work with a early Bally pinball like Centaur.

But what’s the link for Demolition Man?

#2955 8 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

But what’s the link for Demolition Man?

LedOCD : https://www.ledocd.com/
Afterglow : contact stumblor here on Pinside, he has had some pre-assembled kits for sale before.

#2956 7 months ago

I installed the OCR MOD today. Everything went well and it works I didn't have time to take a video yet but I will. You can adjust the settings also which is something that I might experiment with. This was a really unique mod so I figured I would share my install pics. I played one game so far and was able to start Demolition Time. It felt more like I remembered the lightshow but I cannot exactly describe why yet. First impressions, the lightshow feels much more "authentic" I guess now. GI isn't "flashing" as it is more like "breathing" now. I don't know how much DM makes use of dimming so I'll be looking closer over the next week or so.
PDC04157 (resized).JPGPDC04157 (resized).JPGPDC04158 (resized).JPGPDC04158 (resized).JPGPDC04161 (resized).JPGPDC04161 (resized).JPGPDC04164 (resized).JPGPDC04164 (resized).JPGPDC04168 (resized).JPGPDC04168 (resized).JPGPDC04170 (resized).JPGPDC04170 (resized).JPG

#2957 7 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I installed the OCR MOD today. Everything went well and it works I didn't have time to take a video yet but I will. You can adjust the settings also which is something that I might experiment with. This was a really unique mod so I figured I would share my install pics. I played one game so far and was able to start Demolition Time. It felt more like I remembered the lightshow but I cannot exactly describe why yet. First impressions, the lightshow feels much more "authentic" I guess now. GI isn't "flashing" as it is more like "breathing" now. I don't know how much DM makes use of dimming so I'll be looking closer over the next week or so.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just curious, but what kind of leds are you using? Normal or non-ghosting? I brought this up in the Pinbot thread, and according to Comet’s website, normal bulbs are recommended to be used with the OCD board. Non-ghosting can “thwart” some of the advantages of the OCD board.

#2958 7 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Just curious, but what kind of leds are you using? Normal or non-ghosting? I brought this up in the Pinbot thread, and according to Comet’s website, normal bulbs are recommended to be used with the OCD board. Non-ghosting can “thwart” some of the advantages of the OCD board.

I am pretty sure the LEDs I have in there are regular right now because I bought them from Marco years and years ago when LEDs first came out.

They have a video for this

#2959 7 months ago

Ok wow the OCD board does make a big difference! The "light show/effects" are far more effective and smooth overall. You can even tell the difference in attract mode but at first it is hard to notice if you don't know what you are looking for. As I mentioned before I had NO IDEA I had even lost anything when I installed the LEDs years ago. I guess one could argue that if I didn't notice anything lost it must not be anything to even worry about... but now that I know what I was missing I am definitely happy it is back.

What is different?

So far what I see are three main areas. (1) Illumination transitions and (2) Dimming and (3) Flickering.

(1) Illumination transitions - This is where there are subtleties and things difficult to notice but somehow does have a considerable impact. I think the best way to describe the difference is with an old style lightbulb. When you turn on an old school incandescent lightbulb it actually transitions from an off state to an on state over tiny fractions of time so if you had a high speed camera recording the lightbulb, when played back in slow motion you would be able to see how the lightbulb starts out barely giving out light and ramps up maximum brightness. The same happens in reverse when you shut it off, the light will transition from maximum brightness back down to off in increments. Despite this being really difficult to see with the naked eye the brain does notice this and creates a very different effect vs immediately going from off to maximum brightness without any transitional steps.

(2) Dimming - This one is huge. If you have LEDs and you don't have an OCD board, 100% of the dimming effects are literally missing from the lighting effects when used. All you get is fully on/off instead of being able to control the light intensity. Demolition Man does indeed utilize dimming effects and somewhat often. For example when you start a multi-ball mode you will see dimming before it starts, like a build up. Hard to describe but has an impact. It is used heavily during Demolition Time and during different modes. For example, it will dimm all the white lighting in areas of the game not in focus and keep the lights bright in the area it wants you to focus on. Again, completely missing effects when you have LEDs installed without this MOD.

(3) Flickering - With DM I did not see a lot of really fast flickering like you can see in the TZ example in the OCD video. I did occasionally have some flickering especially in the pop bumper and outlane areas.. I always attributed that to having a loose connection but I think it was the dimming that was actually causing it.

I will still post a video but for now I wanted to talk about it. I would say this is defnitely a great MOD that literally everyone would want if there was 0 cost involved. It restores original functionality for lighting effects and dynamics, seems much easier on the eyes (instead of constant flashbangs) and allows you to essentially "have your cake and eat it too" with the best of both worlds. I would easily give it a 10/10 at zero cost and would be a mandatory MOD.

Is it worth $200? Not an easy answer.. it wouldn't be the last thing I overpaid for but in the end didn't regret. I guess it is expensive for sure. There is a custom breakout box, a custom PCB, ribbon cable, wiring, ground wire, screws, 3D Printed bracket and the R&D to design it, $200 is actually not really that bad. He's not getting rich selling this thing. Is subtlety is your thing? Do all the little details "mean everything" or "nothing" to you? Do you get any eye strain when playing? This are some factors to consider if it is worth $200. I guess for me.. yes, yes it was!

#2960 7 months ago

I found it a no brainer on mid 2000s stern games. The flickering seems to be doubled the frequency AND there are ~70 inserts in those era of games, so the flickering is pretty nuts as indicated with the LOTR.
Having this board for inserts for that gen feels like its mandatory as the insert animations are very well orchestrated with rotating effects, waves of inserts being addressed either at the same time or sequentially etc.

#2961 7 months ago

Now get the the LED OCD board and take it to the next level

#2962 7 months ago
Quoted from shepP:

Now get the the LED OCD board and take it to the next level

Yeah I honestly went for the $199 version thinking it was the "better" of the two.. but I can see they are actually two seperate products. One for the GI and one for the inserts. Maybe Santa will bring it for me

2 weeks later
#2963 7 months ago

Hi all, can someone confirm rom chip orientation, notch to the right looks like?

20231016_150357 (resized).jpg20231016_150357 (resized).jpg
#2964 7 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi all, can someone confirm rom chip orientation, notch to the right looks like?
[quoted image]

PA161851 (resized).JPGPA161851 (resized).JPG
#2965 7 months ago

Just wanted to say for the record, always go by the notch not the sticker.

#2966 7 months ago

#2967 7 months ago

I like the Movie +1

#2969 7 months ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I like the Movie +1

I guess you could say its a blast from the past.

1 week later
#2970 6 months ago

I've added the OCD GI OCD board for the inserts now also. First impressions are extremely good. The insert transitions look so much smoother. I started a Demotion Time mode and it was very impressive, noticeably enhanced and smooth is the best word that comes to mind. Now that I have both OCD boards installed (GI and Inserts) I can record a new video comparing before and after. I am running out of room lol. After this I'm on MOD punishment no more mods!
PDC04375.JPGPDC04375.JPGPDC04377.JPGPDC04377.JPGPDC04378.JPGPDC04378.JPGPDC04379.JPGPDC04379.JPGPDC04380.JPGPDC04380.JPGPDC04381.JPGPDC04381.JPG

Video rendering and then uploading now

#2971 6 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I've added the OCD GI OCD board for the inserts now also. First impressions are extremely good. The insert transitions look so much smoother. I started a Demotion Time mode and it was very impressive, noticeably enhanced and smooth is the best word that comes to mind. Now that I have both OCD boards installed (GI and Inserts) I can record a new video comparing before and after. I am running out of room lol. After this I'm on MOD punishment no more mods!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Video rendering and then uploading now

Love to see it. I only have the GI board installed right now.

#2972 6 months ago

OK here is a video that I made comparing my DM with and without the Comet pinball OCD mods. I am sorry I did not remove the glass but the reflections are minimal because it is JJP invisiglass. The purpose of this video is really just to show the difference in the lighting and you won't have trouble seeing the difference. BEFORE is on the LEFT, AFTER (BOTH OCD MODs) is on the RIGHT. Since my game today lasted much longer than before, I switched it to full screen towards the end. My GoPro (HB10 sux) overheated at the end but it was a decent 5.4B game with the extra ball. All 4 MBs and Demolition Time.

IMO there is an enormous difference before vs after and until you see it side by side like this, you'll almost never realize how much you "lost" when you installed LEDs. I am very impressed... practically blown away actually. I can tell you it is REALLY a LOT better on the eyes.. I'm not getting flashbanged all the time now

Added 6 months ago:

I also wanted to point out how much better the colors are now. They are not washed out/blown out like before.

1 week later
#2973 6 months ago

Hi everybody , I had to remove my an replace my inter lock switch , and memory protect
I'm still getting a high power message here and there when the coin door is close , the metal latch depresses them all the way , so I'm at a bit of a lose , maybe I have the wrong wirring hooked up? If any one could send me a pic of there's that would be great , and yes I also have the demo man manual it's correct to what it says
Cheers

#2974 6 months ago
Quoted from Weeedoggie:

Hi everybody , I had to remove my an replace my inter lock switch , and memory protect
I'm still getting a high power message here and there when the coin door is close , the metal latch depresses them all the way , so I'm at a bit of a lose , maybe I have the wrong wirring hooked up? If any one could send me a pic of there's that would be great , and yes I also have the demo man manual it's correct to what it says
Cheers

Faulty switch? How reliable is it when you manually push it in and out? Wiggle wires? If it sometimes works it sounds like a bad switch or loose/bad wires to me. Wrong wiring probably would not work at all.

#2975 6 months ago

Someone had reached out for one of these translites. If I can get 4 more orders in, I'll discount them all and include shipping.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#2976 5 months ago

Figured I'd post in here before going anywhere else: Anyone happen to have a MPU board for Demolition Man they'd like to sell or trade to me? Let me know!

#2977 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Figured I'd post in here before going anywhere else: Anyone happen to have a MPU board for Demolition Man they'd like to sell or trade to me? Let me know!

I do, but it does have an issue I could never track down. The magnet for the crane would barley work with this board.

#2978 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Do you need the chips too or just the empty board?

#2979 5 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Do you need the chips too or just the empty board?

Just the board, I can move my chips over.

#2980 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Just the board, I can move my chips over.

Sent you a PM

#2981 5 months ago

Hi all, having in issue with getting my machine booting. It was working and I switched the roms to the new curse roms but put one in backwards. And had issues the rom heated up etc. Tried to switch back to the original roms, no dice. Got a new set of the curse roms and cpu chip, no dice. Reseated cables just now and some leds light but no boot or dmd display. Do you think the sound card is fried or what should I check next? I included a pic of latest attempted boot.

20231130_155611 (resized).jpg20231130_155611 (resized).jpg
#2982 5 months ago

Wow that stinks brother.. it happens. I'd say the issue is definitely with the sound board. I think you're beyond just replacing ROMs, my guess is that some circuitry got fried. You may have burned some traces. I would remove the entire board and inspect front and back closely.. it helps to take pictures and then zoom in. Chris Hibler is a great guy and could probably diagnose and repair that board for you. Likewise you could take this opportunity to punish yourself via upgrade and buy a PinSound board.. I would highly recommend it (get the 2.1 stereo cable also if you do) they are awesome.

#2983 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi all, having in issue with getting my machine booting. It was working and I switched the roms to the new curse roms but put one in backwards. And had issues the rom heated up etc. Tried to switch back to the original roms, no dice. Got a new set of the curse roms and cpu chip, no dice. Reseated cables just now and some leds light but no boot or dmd display. Do you think the sound card is fried or what should I check next? I included a pic of latest attempted boot.
[quoted image]

Does the game boot if you start it with the grey ribbon cable disconnected from the sound board? (Don't disconnect with power on, turn power off first)
If it boots then, do you get a "dong" sound on boot?

#2984 5 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Does the game boot if you start it with the grey ribbon cable disconnected from the sound board? (Don't disconnect with power on, turn power off first)
If it boots then, do you get a "dong" sound on boot?

Nope, same status as above with just the red leds showing. Could it be an issue with cpu chip then?

#2985 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Nope, same status as above with just the red leds showing. Could it be an issue with cpu chip then?

Try disconnecting all cables from the CPU except for the power cables - normal (not flat) grey and black cables coming from the driver board (with the power off).
When you switch on the game, does one of the 3 leds in the top left corner of the CPU board start and keep blinking?

#2986 5 months ago

New Floating Eyeballs available finally, Marcos.

#2987 5 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Try disconnecting all cables from the CPU except for the power cables - normal (not flat) grey and black cables coming from the driver board (with the power off).
When you switch on the game, does one of the 3 leds in the top left corner of the CPU board start and keep blinking?

Yes, one of the leds is blinking after disconnecting all the ribbon cables. Pic attached.

20231203_101909 (resized).jpg20231203_101909 (resized).jpg
#2988 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Yes, one of the leds is blinking after disconnecting all the ribbon cables. Pic attached.
[quoted image]

Good - I'm assuming it is the middle one.
This means the game is booting and the CPU should be (mostly) OK - there could be issues with switches etc., but at least it starts.
Next step : connect the grey ribbon cables going to the top right circuit board - that is the DMD/display board.
There are 2 cables going there, one going via the Fliptronic board (top left) and sound board (top middle) and one going directly.
Don't connect the Fliptronic and sound board yet, only the DMD/display board.
Make sure the connectors are connected correctly - the red wire should be to the left on the CPU board and to the top on the sound board.
Also check that the connector hits all the pins on the board - it is easy to displace it one pin to the left or one row wrong.

Then start the game again and see if something comes up on the display.

#2989 5 months ago

Yep, it comes up with a display. Shows the rom Rev then boots into the game showing a start. Pic added.

20231203_215334 (resized).jpg20231203_215334 (resized).jpg
#2990 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Yep, it comes up with a display. Shows the rom Rev then boots into the game showing a start. Pic added.
[quoted image]

So far so good - so the CPU and display card + display are working.
Do the same with the Fliptronic card (upper left) - with the power off, connect the grey ribbon cable.
Switch the game on and try starting a game - if all is well, it should play fine but with no sound.

If this is working, the final step is the sound board.
Make sure the ROMs are installed the right way around - there's a small notch at the end of each chip that should match the notch indicated on the white silkscreen printing on the circuit board - and of course the number on the ROM chip should match the number is printed on the corresponding socket on the sound board.
Connect the grey ribbon cable (with the power off) and start the game.
If it locks up or doesn't boot, you have a fault with the sound board.

#2991 5 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Do the same with the Fliptronic card (upper left) - with the power off, connect the grey ribbon cable.
Switch the game on and try starting a game - if all is well, it should play fine but with no sound.
Make sure the ROMs are installed the right way around - there's a small notch at the end of each chip that should match the notch indicated on the white silkscreen printing on the circuit board - and of course the number on the ROM chip should match the number is printed on the corresponding socket on the sound board.

Game works without connecting sound bord. Will take a deeper dive later today or tomorrow. Thank you so far for your help! It's been very helpful!

#2992 5 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

It boots and playes with the cables to the sound board plugged in but no sound. The display was funky for a couple minutes but that cleared up. Roms are all facing the notch and in the correct places. Anything I should check next? Pic included of sound board.

20231206_132816 (resized).jpg20231206_132816 (resized).jpg
#2993 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

It boots and playes with the cables to the sound board plugged in but no sound. The display was funky for a couple minutes but that cleared up. Roms are all facing the notch and in the correct places. Anything I should check next? Pic included of sound board.
[quoted image]

Do you hear a "bong" sound when you switch on the machine?
If there's no "bong" and no sound at all, check for basic stuff like is the volume turned down and if all connectors are connected to the sound board.
There are 2 connectors to the speakers at the bottom right of the sound board with black wires - check that they are connected in the right positions.

#2994 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

[quoted image]

Hmm, its probably the picture but are you sure the ROMs are installed correctly? Some of the legs, atleast on the lowest EPROM looks alittle bit strange.. But probably just the picture..

#2995 5 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Someone had reached out for one of these translites. If I can get 4 more orders in, I'll discount them all and include shipping.[quoted image]

Id be interested in one if you get enough people to make it worth while for another run.

#2996 5 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

[quoted image]

Looking at your pic, it is hard to see due to lack of detail in the picture but I am a little suspicious of that fuse. Do you have a DMM to test it? At the very bottom inside the glass it almost looks like it swelled a bit (green) and the metal connector looks a little melted. It could just be the picture but something to check.

pasted_image.pngpasted_image.png
#2997 5 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Looking at your pic, it is hard to see due to lack of detail in the picture but I am a little suspicious of that fuse. Do you have a DMM to test it? At the very bottom inside the glass it almost looks like it swelled a bit (green) and the metal connector looks a little melted. It could just be the picture but something to check.
[quoted image]

Good call I'll check it.

#2998 5 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Hmm, its probably the picture but are you sure the ROMs are installed correctly? Some of the legs, atleast on the lowest EPROM looks alittle bit strange.. But probably just the picture..

Double checked with my camera zooming in. Legs look dead on as far as I can tell.

#2999 5 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Do you hear a "bong" sound when you switch on the machine?
If there's no "bong" and no sound at all, check for basic stuff like is the volume turned down and if all connectors are connected to the sound board.
There are 2 connectors to the speakers at the bottom right of the sound board with black wires - check that they are connected in the right positions.

I was getting a bong but still no sound. Took a step backwards as the dmd is all messed up. Tried retracing your directions for testing and everything is disconnected except the dmd to the cpu board and dmd is still a mishmash of garbage. Rechecked the cable connect a couple times, seems correct. Cables are new. I dunno, maybe the dmd is now bad? Seems very coincidental.

#3000 5 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

[quoted image]

I see the green corrosion or whatever that is but the fuse tested out. Tested every fuse while I was at it, all good. I replaced those two fuses anyway just in case. Thanks for checking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 81.95
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 72.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-owners-club-members-only/page/60?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.