(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,126 posts
  • 432 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 hours ago by mad_carl
  • Topic is favorited by 158 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62F8DB72-4B4A-494A-931F-093C1D65BB8E (resized).jpeg
12CC94E8-90A3-44B3-A302-B7BB37BE054B (resized).jpeg
AED72B84-2928-4DB2-BE3A-B0796AFEC1CA (resized).jpeg
20240410_204723 (resized).jpg
20240410_204743 (resized).jpg
56ceff4d-5c01-4faf-9720-5f161deb476aphoto (resized).jpeg
2356D138-72FA-46FA-94AD-436C05E2ADA2 (resized).jpeg
7D8EB296-FE7D-4F2E-9238-A589531F162A (resized).jpeg
F3CD35BC-7D5A-439C-8769-A9774DCDA35E (resized).jpeg
29B7FE43-EFF6-4245-88E5-A0D1A3EB6E71 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240405_075425_Chrome (resized).jpg
20240328_124242 (resized).jpg
20240328_124229_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_0541 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0546 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,126 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 63.
#1651 4 years ago
Quoted from gtsgeoff:

Hi All
Has anyone got any plastics from that german website the pinball center? Because i got some and they look nothing like the pictures on the site. and thats only the start. they were 4 different colours. One of them was cut way off centre.
If they actually sent me one like the picture on the website i would be really happy. that's what i wanted but its not what i got.
Im so disappointed. then i send an email back to the company and got completely dismissed. I give them a second chance to address my concerns and they dismissed me again.
If you are gong to order from these people get them to send you photos of the actual product before you commit to paying them because their pictures on their website are not the same as the product they send you.
has anyone else ordered form these guys? What was your experience?

I have. Two plastics for my DM. Crap quality.

#1652 4 years ago

Anyone installed the shaker yet?

#1653 4 years ago

Quoted from djreddog:Anyone installed the shaker yet?

I have. Love it!

My stepdaughter whose bedroom is above the game room on the other hand hates it!

#1654 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkInAbox:

I have. Love it!
My stepdaughter whose bedroom is above the game room on the other hand hates it!

Did you get the Pinshaker?

#1655 4 years ago

Just burned and installed the profanity ROMs. I like it! The callouts work really well and fit into the gameplay perfectly. Recommended!

#1656 4 years ago

Demo Man is a huge favorite in our collection!

But, we have one slightly aggravating problem-the ball seems to stop at the edge of the CryoClaw VUL. I filled the edge of the plastic ramp and polished it, but the ball still gets hung up once in awhile. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

Thanks!

#1657 4 years ago

In Claw test mode, the “Park Elevator” sequence should end with the “Elevator Index” switch closed, right?

I’m trying to troubleshoot my claw, which never worked since I bought my DM. In a game, the claw picks up the ball, goes to the left and then freezes above Acmag. Using the triggers doesn’t move the claw at all. After a few seconds, the claw sequence ends and I have to manually make the ball drop from the magnet.

Aside from the Elev. Index thing, everything else works well in test mode. Can the fact that the elevator isn’t registered as parked result in the claw not moving when activating the triggers?

#1658 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Did you get the Pinshaker?

Yup. I had to dial it way down. It was shaking things off my daughter's wall shelves in her bedroom at 100% intensity. We finally found a mutually agreed upon level where her stuff stays on her shelf and my machine shakes better than that stripper that fell off her pole. I bought a 2nd one for my Space Shuttle too. Wholeheartedly recommend Pinshakers and Rob's customer service is top notch too!

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkInAbox:

Yup. I had to dial it way down. It was shaking things off my daughter's wall shelves in her bedroom at 100% intensity. We finally found a mutually agreed upon level where her stuff stays on her shelf and my machine shakes better than that stripper that fell off her pole. I bought a 2nd one for my Space Shuttle too. Wholeheartedly recommend Pinshakers and Rob's customer service is top notch too!

What triggers are you using on Demo Man?

#1660 4 years ago

Just left the club this morning. It’s been a blast!

#1661 4 years ago

I have had mine like 3 years now, and last night I finally stripped down the playfield for a thorough cleaning. It needs two popbumper skirts so I'll do that also, along with all new rubbers. I got lucky with this pin as my first. It is in great shape.

#1662 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

In Claw test mode, the “Park Elevator” sequence should end with the “Elevator Index” switch closed, right?
I’m trying to troubleshoot my claw, which never worked since I bought my DM. In a game, the claw picks up the ball, goes to the left and then freezes above Acmag. Using the triggers doesn’t move the claw at all. After a few seconds, the claw sequence ends and I have to manually make the ball drop from the magnet.
Aside from the Elev. Index thing, everything else works well in test mode. Can the fact that the elevator isn’t registered as parked result in the claw not moving when activating the triggers?

Ok so according to the manual, the elevator stopping past the index opto is normal behavior.

I discovered this morning that the claw does work. For some reason, I was always using the trigger upper buttons at the beginning of the claw sequence (which stops the sequence on my DM, see second part of this message). It turns out that when using the cabinet buttons or “lower” trigger buttons, the claw moves freely. No issues there, that’s a relief.

Unfortunately, the whole thing is acting up when it comes to dropping the ball: it only works when I drop the ball above the right hole (Chase Simon). If I position the claw above another hole, using the handle buttons to release the ball results in the sequence “freezing” with the ball stuck on the magnet. I need to investigate the behavior more as I could only test for a few minutes this morning, but if any of you have an idea what the issue could be...

Could you confirm that the right handle button (circled one) should register as “Ball Launch” in switch test? It seems to match with what’s in the manual but I prefer to double check.

Also, the left flipper opto PCB is missing, replaced with a leaf switch by the previous owner. Everything registers fine in test mode (flipper switch and EOS), but maybe it could be linked with the weird claw behavior.

#1663 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

Ok so according to the manual, the elevator stopping past the index opto is normal behavior.
I discovered this morning that the claw does work. For some reason, I was always using the trigger upper buttons at the beginning of the claw sequence (which stops the sequence on my DM, see second part of this message). It turns out that when using the cabinet buttons or “lower” trigger buttons, the claw moves freely. No issues there, that’s a relief.
Unfortunately, the whole thing is acting up when it comes to dropping the ball: it only works when I drop the ball above the right hole (Chase Simon). If I position the claw above another hole, using the handle buttons to release the ball results in the sequence “freezing” with the ball stuck on the magnet. I need to investigate the behavior more as I could only test for a few minutes this morning, but if any of you have an idea what the issue could be...
Could you confirm that the right handle button (circled one) should register as “Ball Launch” in switch test? It seems to match with what’s in the manual but I prefer to double check.
Also, the left flipper opto PCB is missing, replaced with a leaf switch by the previous owner. Everything registers fine in test mode (flipper switch and EOS), but maybe it could be linked with the weird claw behavior.

Sometimes mine won't drop the ball with the top button on the handle, but if I hold that top button and flip the lower button on the trigger at the same time, it falls. Not all the time this happens, kinda weird.

#1664 4 years ago

I just put her in switch test and the right top handle button shows up as ball launch.

#1665 4 years ago

Thanks Beechwood! I will try the hold technique later today.

What’s the procedure to drop the ball from the magnet? Using both top buttons? Or just use any of them?

#1666 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

What’s the procedure to drop the ball from the magnet? Using both top buttons? Or just use any of them?</blockquote

If working properly, it should be either top button. And if you get it to hover over the lane you want the ball to go into, it should drop automatically when the timer runs out.

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

What’s the procedure to drop the ball from the magnet? Using both top buttons? Or just use any of them?

Launch button should drop it too

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Launch button should drop it too

Thanks for the extra information. I tested again, holding both trigger buttons doesn’t change anything, still doesn’t work. I can drop on Simon Chase but any other claw position is acting up whether I use one trigger button, both trigger buttons simultaneously or just the cabinet Ball Launch button (which otherwise works fine). I read A LOT of threads about the claw but can’t remember seeing anything similar :/

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

Thanks for the extra information. I tested again, holding both trigger buttons doesn’t change anything, still doesn’t work. I can drop on Simon Chase but any other claw position is acting up whether I use one trigger button, both trigger buttons simultaneously or just the cabinet Ball Launch button (which otherwise works fine). I read A LOT of threads about the claw but can’t remember seeing anything similar :/

All the trigger buttons work in switch test?

#1670 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

All the trigger buttons work in switch test?

Yes, all of them register correctly. It’s probably worth pointing out that I can activate the secret jackpots during multiball by using both trigger buttons. I think a switch issue can be ruled out.

#1671 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

Update: So, I realized this morning that the magnet wires were not the original ones, see pictures below.

For some reason, I always overlooked these two wires as I was too obsessed with the opto board as the culprit. Considering the magnet is acting up, I thought this hack could be causing the weird behavior. I went ahead and cut the soldered wires and molex connector to directly connect the wires with a terminal strip. No luck unfortunately, issue is still there.

I checked J907 and J902, they visually look OK. I also checked the magnet wiring, it's matching what I'm seeing on other DM owners pictures. Issue happens regardless of the input (top trigger buttons or cabinet ball launch).

I have uploaded a couple of video showing exactly what happens. I wrote something wrong yesterday as the claw doesn't freeze after I push the trigger buttons or the Ball Launch trigger. Instead, it pauses for about 1 second, then moves slightly left and drops the ball (again, except for Chase Simon): https://drive.google.com/open?id=13bsUepQNYA9qGOFxUJ3CDkbOwElPb98N

Any idea?
IMG_4706 (resized).jpgIMG_4706 (resized).jpgIMG_4712 (resized).jpgIMG_4712 (resized).jpgIMG_4717 (resized).jpgIMG_4717 (resized).jpgIMG_4718 (resized).jpgIMG_4718 (resized).jpg

#1672 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

I will go out on a limb and say your balls are magnetized. I switched to carbon balls and my same issue went away. I realized this when I would smack the cabinet and the ball would fall.

#1673 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I will go out on a limb and say your balls are magnetized. I switched to carbon balls and my same issue went away. I realized this when I would smack the cabinet and the ball would fall.

I wish this was the fix, however I bought 5 new balls suited for games with magnets (I just checked the product page, they’re described as “carbon core” balls). Is there an easy way for me to know if they are indeed carbon and rule out an error from the parts seller?

edit: I created a thread about the issue yesterday in order not to hijack this one too much: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-claw-magnet-acting-up-at-ball-release

#1674 4 years ago

Quite question is the subway stainless steel? I have to have mine welded.

#1676 4 years ago

Went ahead and order it just incase I mess up the original.

#1677 4 years ago

Anyone have experience with Mantis? My order shows processing, but not shipped for a few days now.

#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Anyone have experience with Mantis? My order shows processing, but not shipped for a few days now.

I also ordered from them recently (27th), still hasn't shipped :/

#1679 4 years ago

I'm going to give them two more days. If it doesn't ship then Ill contact paypal. I get things can happen but in today's market place I have problem when a company takes my money right at the order, but doesn't ship in a timely manner. By timely I mean like 2 to 3 days.

#1680 4 years ago

I contacted everyone who ordered last week and told them I was out of town. Check your spam filter. All orders will be shipped by tomorrow

Kerry - Mantis

#1681 4 years ago

Hi,

I've just started renovation on my Demolition man pinball.
It seems almost all inserts are damaged - basically the layer over the insert plastics themselves has been worn away.

I've tried searching for a insert decal set, but there doesn't seem to be any available.
The only thing I've found is a overlay for the multiball area at https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/demolition-man/9678/multiball-overlay-for-demolition-man?c=2802

Does anyone know where/if I can get a set for the rest of them ?

#1682 4 years ago

New to the forum and owner of DM for about 5 years. It's been good for the most part other than a new opto board for the croyo claw. Now the underground, the top sink hole and the retinal scan all stopped working at the same time. THey get stuck in their respective spots. When the ball search is initiated all the balls will eject so I believe the solenoids are all working. Anyone know if these features are linked in any way? I did notice a couple of wires hanging loose under the playing field but can't exactly see where they would have been attached as they have a very short length (2-3 inches). I've attached some photos of the area for reference. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2302 (resized).jpgIMG_2302 (resized).jpgIMG_2303 (resized).jpgIMG_2303 (resized).jpgIMG_2304 (resized).jpgIMG_2304 (resized).jpgIMG_2305 (resized).jpgIMG_2305 (resized).jpgIMG_2306 (resized).jpgIMG_2306 (resized).jpgIMG_2307 (resized).jpgIMG_2307 (resized).jpg
#1683 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Nubie:

New to the forum and owner of DM for about 5 years. It's been good for the most part other than a new opto board for the croyo claw. Now the underground, the top sink hole and the retinal scan all stopped working at the same time. THey get stuck in their respective spots. When the ball search is initiated all the balls will eject so I believe the solenoids are all working. Anyone know if these features are linked in any way? I did notice a couple of wires hanging loose under the playing field but can't exactly see where they would have been attached as they have a very short length (2-3 inches). I've attached some photos of the area for reference. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty sure they are supposed to be soldered to the lug on the coil (on your last pic, it is the glob of solder that has no wires on it, just below the one that does have a wire attached). Check schematics and make sure those are the right colors to go to it, re-solder, done.

#1684 4 years ago

Thanks! That's what I was thinking but wanted some additional feedback. I'll look at the schematics as well to verify. I have an old style soldering iron. Is there one I should look to get that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Cheers.

#1685 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Nubie:

Thanks! That's what I was thinking but wanted some additional feedback. I'll look at the schematics as well to verify. I have an old style soldering iron. Is there one I should look to get that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Cheers.

Make sure you check the schematics first to get the wires in the right spot.

As long as your soldering iron gets hot enough, it will work. Soldering that back on should be very easy.

I bought a kit with soldering iron on amazon for $30 bucks, and it came with a DMM too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2B4ZY9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

#1686 4 years ago

So as I look at the schematics (and I'm not sure what I'm looking at since I'm no electrician) I don't think that is the problem as the wires are connecting to the upper flipper. if I tie the wires together then the flipper switch is stuck open. Going back to the original issue of loss of functionality as earlier stated "Now the underground, the top sink hole and the retinal scan all stopped working at the same time". Any other thoughts?

#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Sometimes mine won't drop the ball with the top button on the handle, but if I hold that top button and flip the lower button on the trigger at the same time, it falls. Not all the time this happens, kinda weird.

I tried the hold + flip technique again and got some positive results. Not 100% consistent, but I managed to properly drop the ball above other lanes a few times. I also noticed that hitting one of the drop button while the claw is in movement works almost everytime.

Could it be a rom issue?

#1688 4 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

I tried the hold + flip technique again and got some positive results. Not 100% consistent, but I managed to properly drop the ball above other lanes a few times. I also noticed that hitting one of the drop button while the claw is in movement works almost everytime.
Could it be a rom issue?

This still suggests it is a magnetism issue. Dropping the ball while the claw is moving is possible because the inertia of the claw is enough to fling the ball off the magnet. When stationary, the flipper vibrates the magnet enough to shake the ball loose. Have you verified your balls are definitely the correct type?

All ROM revisions drop the ball in the same way, so it wouldn't be the ROM.

#1689 4 years ago

Silly question but what should I look for when my launch button and auto launch isn't working?

Could the coil be gone? Doesn't fire in test settings. Re seated J-209/J-207 as well as J-107/J-130.

All other solenoids fire.

Is there a fuse associated with this that I need to check? How would I check the voltage of the coil to compare it to others?

Thanks guys.

#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Silly question but what should I look for when my launch button and auto launch isn't working?
Could the coil be gone? Doesn't fire in test settings. Re seated J-209/J-207 as well as J-107/J-130.
All other solenoids fire.
Is there a fuse associated with this that I need to check? How would I check the voltage of the coil to compare it to others?
Thanks guys.

Are there other coils not working? If so, potentially a fuse. F105 from memory.

Check voltage at the coil lugs. There should be 50v at one of them. If not, check for power at J107.

What happens if you ground the transistor manually? Does the coil fire? If so, then you've got an issue on the board. If not, then you've got a wiring problem.

#1691 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Are there other coils not working? If so, potentially a fuse. F105 from memory.
Check voltage at the coil lugs. There should be 50v at one of them. If not, check for power at J107.
What happens if you ground the transistor manually? Does the coil fire? If so, then you've got an issue on the board. If not, then you've got a wiring problem.

All other coils work fine in test. F105 is fine!

How do I ground the transistor to fire it? Can I not do this from the coil directly as well?

#1692 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

All other coils work fine in test. F105 is fine!
How do I ground the transistor to fire it? Can I not do this from the coil directly as well?

You can do it directly at the coil but the advantage of doing it at the transistor is that it also ensures the wiring from transistor to cool is intact.

Just touch the tab at the top of the driving transistor to ground briefly and the coil should fire. If not, inspect wiring. If it does fire when grounded manually, I'd suspect an issue on the power driver board.

#1693 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

You can do it directly at the coil but the advantage of doing it at the transistor is that it also ensures the wiring from transistor to cool is intact.
Just touch the tab at the top of the driving transistor to ground briefly and the coil should fire. If not, inspect wiring. If it does fire when grounded manually, I'd suspect an issue on the power driver board.

OK. I want to make sure I do this right and don't blow anything (as I'm a little noobish at times).

The transistor I touch is Q78, I just touch the top part and then ground to the earth braid, correct?!? If it fires I have an issue on the board as the coil is fine. If it doesn't fire...the coil is stuffed?!?

Thanks for the help so far.

#1694 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

OK. I want to make sure I do this right and don't blow anything (as I'm a little noobish at times).
The transistor I touch is Q78, I just touch the top part and then ground to the earth braid, correct?!? If it fires I have an issue on the board as the coil is fine. If it doesn't fire...the coil is stuffed?!?
Thanks for the help so far.

Yes that's right.

The coil may not necessarily be stuffed - it may just be an issue with wiring. But we will deal with that once you've done your test.

#1695 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Yes that's right.
The coil may not necessarily be stuffed - it may just be an issue with wiring. But we will deal with that once you've done your test.

You're not gonna like what I'm about to type!!! lol

I touched the tip of Q78 to earth and nothing. I did however also do this with Q68 (knocker, which does fire) and nothing?!?!

I also did a continuity test with all transistors including Q78...and got a beep!!

Lastly, to check the wiring doesn't have a break, I put my dmm into j130 vio/org and touched the coil on the corresponding wire. Buzzed!

What's going on here?!?

PS: Still doesn't fire

#1696 4 years ago

Q78 is either fried, or doesn't have full contact with the board. I'd replace it along with the pre-drive transistor.

#1697 4 years ago

So after having my Demo man for a few years I did a full topside tear down of the play field. I got it all back together, and am now having an intermittent mid multi-ball reset. This never happened before. I have checked the underside of the play field for any loose wire connectors, but did not see any. I also checked the boards for loose connectors, abut again they seem fine. Any ideas?

#1698 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Q78 is either fried, or doesn't have full contact with the board. I'd replace it along with the pre-drive transistor.

Hey, thanks for the reply. How do I tell which is the pre-drive transistor as well? Not sure when it comes to board type stuff. Still learning this!

#1699 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Hey, thanks for the reply. How do I tell which is the pre-drive transistor as well? Not sure when it comes to board type stuff. Still learning this!

Don't go replacing anything just yet. If the knocker doesn't fire either then there are other problems. All coils should fire when manually grounded. Do you have power at the coils?

#1700 4 years ago

arolden good call. I missed that more than one didn’t fire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 81.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,126 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-owners-club-members-only/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.