(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,126 posts
  • 432 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by mad_carl
  • Topic is favorited by 158 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62F8DB72-4B4A-494A-931F-093C1D65BB8E (resized).jpeg
12CC94E8-90A3-44B3-A302-B7BB37BE054B (resized).jpeg
AED72B84-2928-4DB2-BE3A-B0796AFEC1CA (resized).jpeg
20240410_204723 (resized).jpg
20240410_204743 (resized).jpg
56ceff4d-5c01-4faf-9720-5f161deb476aphoto (resized).jpeg
2356D138-72FA-46FA-94AD-436C05E2ADA2 (resized).jpeg
7D8EB296-FE7D-4F2E-9238-A589531F162A (resized).jpeg
F3CD35BC-7D5A-439C-8769-A9774DCDA35E (resized).jpeg
29B7FE43-EFF6-4245-88E5-A0D1A3EB6E71 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240405_075425_Chrome (resized).jpg
20240328_124242 (resized).jpg
20240328_124229_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_0541 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0546 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,126 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 63.
#901 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

That’s what I thought but alas it is no where. I was just hoping that given how many times I’ve seen demo man parted out that someone may have one. No diverter would kill the entire flow of the game which is one of its strong suits. I don’t see why taking it out would have ever been an option.
Anyone have one?

This is on ebay www.ebay.com/itm/1994-WILLIAMS-DEMOLITION-MAN-PINBALL-MACHINE-PLAYFIELD-LARGER-PLASTIC-RAMP/332554046445
He has several other parts for DM for sale too. I have found many unobtanium parts by messaging sellers like this who appear to be parting out a game.

#902 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

This is on ebay ebay.com link: 1994 WILLIAMS DEMOLITION MAN PINBALL MACHINE PLAYFIELD LARGER PLASTIC RAMP
He has several other parts for DM for sale too. I have found many unobtanium parts by messaging sellers like this who appear to be parting out a game.

Cool thanks. I sent him a message. Hopefully he has it

#903 6 years ago

Has anyone found a source for the cabinet decals lately? It seems like everyone is sold out..

#904 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Has anyone found a source for the cabinet decals lately? It seems like everyone is sold out..

The only place that made them was in Germany and wasnt licensed, so they got shut down a few months ago. Do you need a full set? I have the lower cab set available for sale if that helps.

#905 6 years ago

Just joined the club. It defiantly is a flow monster. I adjust all my games to 6.5 degrees. When I initially set up my demo man it was closer to 7 degrees and it did not play that bad. At 6.5 its a tad slow so I might adjust to to maybe 6.7 or so. Does everyone else's have the FL-11629 coils for main flippers? The right is FL-11629 and left upper and lower are both FL-11630's. Plenty of power for all ramps/orbits. I ordered the correct FL-11629 coil for the lower left but not sure if i need it.

I am looking for the computer plastic as well and the small plastic to the right of the pops. If someone has scans I could make the plastics too.

For people with LED's, do you disable the GI dimming functionality? My game came with incandescents and this feature off, turned it on but did not notice any actual use of GI dimming used in game, albeit, I have not progressed alot in the modes yet.

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

For people with LED's, do you disable the GI dimming functionality?

Yes. I always turn off the GI dimming feature when I install LEDs in the GI. If you don't, the LEDs will majorly flicker when the game tries to dim them. In the case of my DM, it has a GI OCD board, so I was able to leave the feature on. I also have an LED OCD board in the game. Both are excellent products that I would highly recommend.

#907 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Does everyone else's have the FL-11629 coils for main flippers?

I've got brand new FL-11629 in both lower flippers and never have any trouble making the ramps at 7 degrees.

#908 6 years ago

Sold my demo man to SpiRomeo47 a couple days ago. He sent me a video of the elevator lifting the ball to the claw but the claw not grabbing it. He has a “magnet broken” error. It was working when he picked it up, in fact he played a game and got a right ramp shot and used it. I’m trying to help him trouble shoot the issue. My best guess is a solder broke and a wire came off? Any thoughts on what we should try? I read a post from a while back that said someone found fuse 901 popped and that fixed it but that’s on the fliptronic ii controller board. Is that related to the claw magnet somehow?

#909 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

Sold my demo man to spiromeo47 a couple days ago. He sent me a video of the elevator lifting the ball to the claw but the claw not grabbing it. He has a “magnet broken” error. It was working when he picked it up, in fact he played a game and got a right ramp shot and used it. I’m trying to help him trouble shoot the issue. My best guess is a solder broke and a wire came off? Any thoughts on what we should try? I read a post from a while back that said someone found fuse 901 popped and that fixed it but that’s on the fliptronic ii controller board. Is that related to the claw magnet somehow?

The claw magnet is powered by one of the spare transistors on the fliptronic board.

#910 6 years ago

So it could in theory be a fuse then? I assume the power to the transistor runs through one of the fuses?

Also remind me, since I can’t open it and look anymore, the fliptronic board is in the back box?

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from RockBass14:

So it could in theory be a fuse then? I assume the power to the transistor runs through one of the fuses?
Also remind me, since I can’t open it and look anymore, the fliptronic board is in the back box?

Yes. Upper left board.

#912 6 years ago

Is this game typically a drain hog? car crash, either ramp coming back down, post next to left ramp, all these bring it SDTM. I have my demo man level from side to side. Also after retina scan kickout it 60% of the time drains to outlane, I have adjusted the post to make the opening as small as possible.

#913 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Is this game typically a drain hog? car crash, either ramp coming back down, post next to left ramp, all these bring it SDTM. I have my demo man level from side to side. Also after retina scan kickout it 60% of the time drains to outlane, I have adjusted the post to make the opening as small as possible.

Car crash and ramp rejects can be bad, yeah. My left ramp is much worse than my right, but I rarely fail to make the left so it's alright. There's an option on some rom versions for a ball save from the car crash.

I've never seen retina scan kickout drain before. Maybe arm is bent?

#914 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Car crash and ramp rejects can be bad, yeah. My left ramp is much worse than my right, but I rarely fail to make the left so it's alright. There's an option on some rom versions for a ball save from the car crash.

Maybe, it bounces of the post rubber and slingshot a little which causes it to drain. the other 40% it goes straight down the inlane just fine.

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Maybe, it bounces of the post rubber and slingshot a little which causes it to drain. the other 40% it goes straight down the inlane just fine.

If your game is level, the ball should never drain coming out of Retina Scan, you clearly have ball-guides out of adjustment. Also, make sure you're using a 3/8" OD rubber on the mini-post, and not a 7/16".

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I have the ball save on mine when you hit the car crash and it goes sdtm.

#917 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

If your game is level, the ball should never drain coming out of Retina Scan, you clearly have ball-guides out of adjustment. Also, make sure you're using a 3/8" OD rubber on the mini-post, and not a 7/16".

Seems like someone at some point installed a regular star post where a narrow post should be on the left slingshot next to the inlane causing the rubber to be a little too narrow. Sucks as I just placed an order on pinballlife.

#918 6 years ago

Greetings, fellow DM owners. After a full tear-down and shop I have this one small clear plastic left. Can someone please point me to its intended location? Thank you!

DM mystery plastic (resized).jpegDM mystery plastic (resized).jpeg

#919 6 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Greetings, fellow DM owners. After a full tear-down and shop I have this one small clear plastic left. Can someone please point me to its intended location? Thank you!

Willing to sell old plastics?

#920 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

I have some good used random plastics, I dont have the big one for the upper flipper tho... Any others you need?

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Absolutely. I will put up some pics tonight.

#922 6 years ago

I need the computer plastic. I could use new sling plastics but mine are somewhat presentable. Not to mention I need that super small piece in the pop area that's always missing.

#923 6 years ago

So I cannot take credit for this idea, I read it a few pages back and I think gweempose started the conversation with lots of good info from @TheOnlyest. I figured I might as well take some pictures along the way to help others out.

Again, I bought these buttons and they came with the important resistor required for 12v operation.
ebay.com link: 2X Durable 12mm Elevated Car Black Button Blue Angel Eye LED Momentary Switch

I also used 22 gauge wire for this modification, bought here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077X98JD3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Lastly, you need some .156" molex 2 position plug housing and the connectors that go inside. Optional is making plugs at each trigger assembly. I used .062" molex round pin stuff.

First step is to detach the 2 pin switch connector (green and white), the 7 wire connector attached with Z connector (this needs to be removed at flipper switch opto board in addition), and the green grounding wire attached to leg mounting plate.
Using I think a T25 security Torx bit, remove the 4 mounting screws connecting the assembly to the cabinet, no need to remove the clam shell half at this point.
IMG_7153 (resized).JPGIMG_7153 (resized).JPG
IMG_7152 (resized).JPGIMG_7152 (resized).JPG
With the assembly on your workbench, remove the two torx security screws holding the halves together. If you are nervous about this work, remember, my kids are helping its that easy.
IMG_7156 (resized).JPGIMG_7156 (resized).JPG
IMG_7140 (resized).JPGIMG_7140 (resized).JPG

Remove the white and green switch wires from the switch assembly, note there is NO diode on this switch. I will check the manual to see if the diode is elsewhere or if this is a direct switch not part of the switch matrix.
IMG_7141 (resized).JPGIMG_7141 (resized).JPG
IMG_7157 (resized).JPGIMG_7157 (resized).JPG

Now you need to remove the small phillips screw holding the micro switch into the switch housing. Remove the switch and keep the mounting plate and the lock washer, my new buttons did not come with a lock washer so I reused the old one. Keep all the switch components in a baggie in the coin box for later use or if the new owner does not like the new buttons. I always keep any original part I remove from a game.
Assemble the new angle eye switch. Do not worry about using the o-ring supplied with the new button. I orientated my button so the "+ and -" LED connections were on top and bottom with switch connections to left and right but it does not matter. As you can see, a bit more room in the trigger housing with the new buttons.
IMG_7142 (resized).JPGIMG_7142 (resized).JPG

It is very important that you use the supplied resistor inline with the LED. This is used to drop the voltage for the LED. It can be wired to the + or - terminal, I chose + terminal. Add heat shrink to the stripped wire and pre-tin the wire leads and contacts on the new switch, this will help with soldering them together. I first soldered the resistor onto the "+" terminal of the button, then the negative wire to the terminal opposite of the resistor. Lastly, I soldered the positive wire to the other end of the resistor.
IMG_7143 (resized).JPGIMG_7143 (resized).JPG
IMG_7144 (resized).JPGIMG_7144 (resized).JPG

Now you can re-attach the switch connections. The old switch had a normally open pole and normally closed pole, the new switch is ONLY normally open so the green and white wires can be attached to either of the other two connections. Williams did not add heat shrink to original connections but we are not worried about tact time or assembly cost so add some heat shrink. Even if we are not professionals we want to act like them.
IMG_7145 (resized).JPGIMG_7145 (resized).JPG
This is good time to bust out the multi-meter and check to see if the button works and nothing got damaged. Alot easier to change something now then when the machine is all buttoned up. Using a heat gun or lighter, shrink the heat shrink once you verified the switch is working.
IMG_7146 (resized).JPGIMG_7146 (resized).JPG

Place the new switch assembly back into the housing and route the wire similar to as shown. You just do not want them interfering with the trigger button action.
IMG_7149 (resized).JPGIMG_7149 (resized).JPG

You can now cut the other end of the power wire and terminate with a .062" molex connector of run it right to the coin door interface board. I chose to use molex connectors because it will be easier to remove handle assemblies later on. Remember to cut leads long enough to clear the flat mounting plate on the inside of the cabinet. Make sure the new power wire is routed into the grooves along with the other bunch of wires, you do not want to pinch the wires during assembly.
IMG_7150 (resized).JPGIMG_7150 (resized).JPG

Reassemble the handle assemblies making sure to not pinch the wires. Route the wire bunch back into the cabinet and re-attach the handles to the cabinet. If you game is home use, you can switch to not security torx hardware and swap out for standard hex head button screws.

Measure out some wire and terminal with the mating molex connectors for handle assemblies (if you added connectors). I used 22 gauge wire which was small enough to fit two wires into a .156" molex connector so I could make a wiring harness.
IMG_7162 (resized).JPGIMG_7162 (resized).JPG

We want to attach the power wires using a 2 position .156" molex connector to the coin door interface board. It has a spare 12v supply I can only assume would be to run a ticket dispensing machine or bill validator. Positive to "12v" pin 4th from bottom or pin "1" and negative to "PWR GND" pin 3rd from bottom or pin "1".
IMG_7139 (resized).JPGIMG_7139 (resized).JPG

You should be all set, turn power on and marvel at your work.
IMG_7163 (resized).JPGIMG_7163 (resized).JPG

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

So I cannot take credit for this idea, I read it a few pages back and I think gweempose started the conversation with lots of good info from TheOnlyest. I figured I might as well take some pictures along the way to help others out.

Great step-by-step guide!

#925 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I have some good used random plastics, I dont have the big one for the upper flipper tho... Any others you need?

I could use the one over the scoop opposite the upper flipper if anyone has one. Mine is missing, and I am going to have to fabricate a bracket for it as well.

#926 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I could use the one over the scoop opposite the upper flipper if anyone has one. Mine is missing, and I am going to have to fabricate a bracket for it as well.

I have that plastic. It's slightly used, but in decent shape. Let me know if you are interested.

#927 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Great step-by-step guide!

Best write up ever.

Ordered some.led buttons of aliexpress!
I know every button listing sayd monetary. Does this mean they latch or lock down until pressed again when they release?

How did you get around that

#928 6 years ago

Hello all, I would like to join the club. My first pin is this Demo man. It is in great shape. I have put Tilt Graphics blades, did the blue in the back windows, and some pop bumper caps, I like a bright play field. I believe it to be a HOU pin. The guy I got it from had it for 15 year, and said he got it from the original. owner.

20180226_191538[412] (resized).jpg20180226_191538[412] (resized).jpg

20180226_191513[413] (resized).jpg20180226_191513[413] (resized).jpg

#929 6 years ago

Wow a demoman with no broken plastics.

Great catch.

What leds did you use for the back light behind the girder? Looks great

#930 6 years ago

I used Comets OP-MAX for the back and, and their Lighted Strips for the windows.

#931 6 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Ordered some.led buttons of aliexpress! I know every button listing said monetary. Does this mean they latch or lock down until pressed again when they release? How did you get around that

It's not "monetary", it's momentary. This means the switch is only active while the button is depressed, and it will revert back to its original position when released. This is the exact kind of button you want.

#932 6 years ago

So... pressing the button wont make it shoot quarters? Hahah

Here is mine with some dollarstore and aliexpress mods..

Screenshot_20180227-082729 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180227-082729 (resized).png

#933 6 years ago

Guys my pin is having the "divertor stuck closed error" and all other solenoid on high power circuit are become weak! Anyone have ever had this problem?

the ramp divertor doesn't moves anymore during play (during test it works instead), wires are firmly soldered to the coil and it moves freely by hand. Tested the related driver transistor and it seems good (no leg shorting and values same to the others on board..).

Also I've checked the test point on board with a multimeter and the 50 volts are present (65-66v points to be precise). There are 50 to 60 volts on each of the 2/3 coils solder pad. Checked fuses F105 Solenoid #1-#8 and F112 Solenoid Secondary, they are new and working. Checked all h.power solenoid wires and there are no loose cables.

Don't know what else to do

IMG-20180303-WA0041 (resized).jpgIMG-20180303-WA0041 (resized).jpg

#934 6 years ago

Hey guys, a 15 min gameplay video!

Did more led mods including, shooter lane that's only.active when Launch ball is active. A nicer Vuk light, and BLUE for the girder, but it comes up purple ish due to IR. They also do some fade effect that I don't know how I accidentally made happen!

1080p, 60fps!

I think its a pretty nice demoman and I get thru a few modes so you can see the lighting effects and gi dimming with LEDs including multiball modes, claw modes and what has to be one of the nicest light shows in WPC era machines: Demolition Time Multiball at about the 11 min mark.

Lemme know what you think!!

Screenshot_20180305-102833 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180305-102833 (resized).png

Screenshot_20180305-104640 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180305-104640 (resized).png

#935 6 years ago

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere in the thread. I'm looking to replace the small red button trigger switch in one of the handles. Any idea where to buy the switches?

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I'm looking to replace the small red button trigger switch in one of the handles. Any idea where to buy the switches?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18511

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Guys my pin is having the "divertor stuck closed error" and all other solenoid on high power circuit are become weak! Anyone have ever had this problem?

I'm new to the WPC world, but I now have WhoDunnit, Road Show and Demolition Man. From what I have read, it wouldn't hurt to rework your power driver board (I have done this to all of mine). I'm not an advocate of swapping out the bridges if they are functioning properly (you'll know it if they aren't!), but I do replace all of the capacitors (they get old and dry out) and I reflow the solder on all of the header pins. Any number of issues will be avoided or resolved. Be careful when removing the snap-caps so you don't mess up the through-holes and check for continuity on both sides of the board when you are done installing the new ones.

Good luck!

#938 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Any idea where to buy the switches?

Langless28 did a great write-up in post 923 above where he replaced his switches with some with LED lighting. Included is a link to the switches available on eBay. They should work for you without the lights, if desired.

#939 6 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

Langless28 did a great write-up in post 923 above where he replaced his switches with some with LED lighting. Included is a link to the switches available on eBay. They should work for you without the lights, if desired.

Thank you!

#940 6 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

(you'll know it if they aren't!),

Thanks for your advice but how do i know if they really work?? On this power board i have replaced j115 pins m/f for gi, reflowed several connectors, replaced C8, replaced C11 and added jumpers on lamps and high power circuit since there was no continuity at some point..I haven't replaced any BR since they measured good with multimeter.. the game worked great for a couple of month and now this..

#941 6 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Thanks for your advice but how do i know if they really work?? On this power board i have replaced j115 pins m/f for gi, reflowed several connectors, replaced C8, replaced C11 and added jumpers on lamps and high power circuit since there was no continuity at some point..I haven't replaced any BR since they measured good with multimeter.. the game worked great for a couple of month and now this..

Why the jumpers? Do you have pictures? Have you run the coil test? Does the diverter work in test?

Since you have 50 volts at the diverter coil, check continuity from the Brown/Violet coil wire to the power driver board (reading from the schematics, the Brown/Violet wire should go to J127-8 and then to Q44 (I don't know which leg) and/or the unbanded side of D17).

You said you tested for 50 volts on the power driver board and at each coil. Were the readings the same or very close to the same?

I believe you said that you tested the TIP102 at Q44. Did you also test the 2N5401 at Q43?

1 week later
#942 6 years ago

Shopping out my DM and added the LED pop bumper rings from Comet pinball. I did not think I was going to like this game that much but it sure does have some great flow

IMG_1357 (resized).JPGIMG_1357 (resized).JPG

#943 6 years ago

Can someone please look at there machine and see where this wire goes too? Its the switch that the nut driver is pointing too on top if that helps. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1226 (resized).JPGIMG_1226 (resized).JPG

IMG_1227 (resized).JPGIMG_1227 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#944 6 years ago

Oh snap have you solvdd this yet? It should splice into the yellow on the lower switch contact here, with the yellow connecting to the blue white...

Mine had been destroying itself and I think that's how I fixed it..

Screenshot_20180315-001910 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180315-001910 (resized).png

#945 6 years ago

Doesn't sound right... I will verify later

#946 6 years ago
Quoted from Lawnboy:

Can someone please look at there machine and see where this wire goes too? Its the switch that the nut driver is pointing too on top if that helps. Thanks in advance.

I think it has come off from the yellow stand-up-target below. In my game the wire is brown, but hope this picture helps.

IMG_20180327_003448[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20180327_003448[1] (resized).jpg

#947 6 years ago

My wiring got a little butchered but you have a clear idea here

Screenshot_20180326-225522 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180326-225522 (resized).png

#948 6 years ago

Just joined the club!

20180329_215359 (resized).jpg20180329_215359 (resized).jpg

#949 6 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Absolutely. I will put up some pics tonight.

I haven't forgotten about this, just haven't got there yet...

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

Instructions worked perfectly.
Youtube vid to follow soon with a little trik to make them a.little more.interactive.

Screenshot_20180402-073816 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180402-073816 (resized).png

Aliexpress has some.very nicely finished buttons and the resistor is built in with a 5-24v tolerance. $5 each, shipped.

Screenshot_20180402-074310 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180402-074310 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 81.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 72.95
There are 3,126 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-owners-club-members-only/page/19?hl=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.